Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 01:31   #1666
Senior - BHPian

Re: VoD on Tata Sky+ HD

Can't even try it. Unfortunately my box is placed quite far from my router (different room).

Wish they'd provide a wireless solution soon.
Old 11th December 2011, 14:27   #1667
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
Guys, I have some sad news to share :(

Day before yesterday, .......................o no question of a power line/voltage fluctuation issue. Also, all the devices were on stand-by when this happened.
Not a good idea to leave electronics stuff on standby in India. I dont leave anything on standby and was saved couple of times in the last 10yrs. Few months back we had a purge surge and the only thing ON was linksys WRT54G router and newly bought mikrotek double battery UPS, both got fried but luckily my samsung 40" LED TV, Panasonic BDP110, DishTV HD STB and voltage converter were not ON so got saved. LED TV and BDP were bought from states so would have lost a lot.
7-8 yrs back I suffered a loss of abt 8-9K for various electronics stuff damaged due to power surge, 440 volts to be precise due to some dude trying to get 'mufat ki bijli' for a religious function and he connected two power wires with 'kundi' he made

So after learning some hard lessons apart from modem+router,I dont leave anything ON when we are not home.
Old 11th December 2011, 15:18   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Re: VoD on Tata Sky+ HD

Sorry to learn about your loss. This is what you & your friend need to avoid a repeat http://www.amazon.com/TII-Broadband-...ref=pd_sim_e_9

Quote:
Apparently, there was some power surge through the dish(?!) and that meant the STBs got fried and took the HDMI connected buddies along with it. I feel devastated, absolutely gutted.

The interesting thing is.. I am not alone. Couple of months ago, my friend met with similar fate, when his TS HD+ STB fried his TV and HT. But he didn't lose much sleep over it, as everything damaged was covered under warranty.

While a step in the right direction, the novelty wears of very quickly, trust me I have had VOD on my MTNL IPTV for nearly 2 years. Now coupled with the DVR box on Tata sky + I doubt if it is really worth all the hoo haa unless they make available some really good content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Good news for TSky+ HD subscribers. Get ready for the VoD.
Old 12th December 2011, 10:49   #1669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently, there was some power surge through the dish(?!) and that meant the STBs got fried and took the HDMI connected buddies along with it. I feel devastated, absolutely gutted. Luckily, warranty still covers
Sorry to hear that , also its something guess we have to be careful about if as you say this not a one off case. However you were saying power surge happend through dish, how did that happen? Any lightning strike or dish coming in contact with any power cable or so? . Since the normal power input to your STB will be the same as that your TV is connected to, so a power surge that will fry STB will fry your TV irrespective if its connected through HDMI or not.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:15   #1670
Senior - BHPian

@Khoj, you're right, content and at what price (time and money) its available is the key here.
I know Airtel has this time shift tv for sometime and I guess even bsnl has got something to offer on IPTV but hasnt really clicked in India.
I downloaded some 4-5 old hindi movies in a night, I was wondering if my connection is slow!! This is the SD content I'm downloading and it seems its taking lot of time to download the movies.. lets see how it evolves.
Old 14th December 2011, 14:26   #1671
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any provider with 1080p HD transmission? Tata Sky as per their website is 1080i , Airtel I was not able to make out from their website.
Old 14th December 2011, 14:40   #1672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Is there any provider with 1080p HD transmission? Tata Sky as per their website is 1080i , Airtel I was not able to make out from their website.
No major provider in the "world" transmits in 1080p. Reason is because the bandwidth required is huge (as opposed to 1080i) and the additional investment doesn't justify the marginal increase in quality compare to 1080i. The best television signal you can recieve currently is 1080i. 1080p is available only from local sources like BD or games.
Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 11:47   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Can you really make out the difference between 1080i and 1080p? I mean with bare eyes.

Often we get carried away with marketing gimmicks and terminologies without thinking if it does really make a difference in real life, or is it just a number to fool ourselves. Food for thought indeed!
Old 15th December 2011, 11:57   #1674
Team-BHP Support

With screen size up to 60 inch, one can hardly make out the difference between 720p and 1080p. Not unless one is a paranoid pixel peeper standing right next to the screen.

In fact, 720p feels a little easier on eyes than 1080i, as 720p is not interlaced. But picture quality difference can't be made out. If you think you can make out the difference between 720p and above on a 50 inch or below screen, there is a word for it, placebo effect.

On the other hand, if you are projecting the image from a projector on a 100 inch or above screen, then 1080p has value.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:17   #1675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmania View Post
Can you really make out the difference between 1080i and 1080p? I mean with bare eyes.
Well, for that matter I dont even have 1080i even, was planning of buying an HD receiver for 47inch TV I just got. While going through this thread and also Airtel, TataSky site noticed that all were mentioning 1080i only, hence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
With screen size up to 60 inch, one can hardly make out the difference between 720p and 1080p. Not unless one is a paranoid pixel peeper standing right next to the screen.

In fact, 720p feels a little easier on eyes than 1080i, as 720p is not interlaced. But picture quality difference can't be made out. If you think you can make out the difference between 720p and above on a 50 inch or below screen, there is a word for it, placebo effect.

On the other hand, if you are projecting the image from a projector on a 100 inch or above screen, then 1080p has value.
Is it true that in real world 720p is better than 1080i due to interlacing ? Read a debate on the same thread few pages back regarding this, which was saying 1080i is better.

Yes, I am having a plan of getting a projecter later on, came across a review of 3D projector with full HD from LG. However its not as of now and wasnt the reason I was asking about the 1080i and 1080P part.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:28   #1676
BHPian

@suhas .. I got a 55 and a 32 and I wasn't able to make out any difference (as long as you are sitting at a reasonable distance from the TV). Unless you are viewing on 60" or bigger or projector, you wont be able to make out any difference, and that too if you view from close proximity.

Additionally, all 1080i and 1080p streaming are still compressed which means that you still loose pixels in the encoding/decoding process. You might need a Blu-Ray disc to evaluate the clarity better. Satellite transmission is always highly compressed using advanced codecs, so even if you are watching 1080p, it still will be inferior quality to that of a Blu-Ray which has a native 1080p resolution.

Even if there is any difference it is not noticeable unless you are watching on two side by side screens.

Some DTH providers in the US and Europe have started their VOD/PPV services on compressed 1080p, but still standard channels are 1080i at best.
karmania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 20:54   #1677
BHPian

Will SUN TV give his 4 HD channels to Airtel/Tatasky..., or create a monopoly so that one should buy SUN HD
Old 17th December 2011, 11:43   #1678
BHPian

What is a "smart TV" ?

Deal - Buy Razorbee Smart TV Upgrade worth Rs.8459 @ Rs.2999 - mGinger.com
Old 17th December 2011, 16:38   #1679
Senior - BHPian

TV panels that can be connected to the internet using a lan cable or over wi fi are referred to as smart TVs. You can surf, download and upload content on social media sites, use for Skype etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Old 17th December 2011, 17:25   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
TV panels that can be connected to the internet using a lan cable or over wi fi are referred to as smart TVs. You can surf, download and upload content on social media sites, use for Skype etc etc.
But that looks like a set top box. i doubt you'd get a TV for 2999

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks