Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2020, 15:57   #3406
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Beg to disagree - even the cheapest and slowest ryzen ever - the 1200 pounds the 8350 into submission:
I said mobile processors. Anyways the only game I play is NFS heat and it works flawlessly on this old FX8350.

https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks/

But thanks for pointing out, I might be better off upgrading to a cheap Ryzen too!
Old 10th June 2020, 17:03   #3407
BHPian

Quote:
This is an SMR drive and really slow. Avoid those like plague. They are not meant for desktop data storage rather for data archival. If you see 256MB cache in a hard drive, run away as far as you can as they use SMR.
I was not aware that the 256MB cache drives are SMR, and I actually suggested it to Rohit_Quad a couple of days earlier. Thanks for posting about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Got the SMR drives list.
Sorry about suggesting the SMR drive earlier! I hope the parts have not been ordered and it is not too late to change the HDD in your friend's build?

Cheers
Old 10th June 2020, 17:18   #3408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I was not aware that the 256MB cache drives are SMR, and I actually suggested it to Rohit_Quad a couple of days earlier. Thanks for posting about this!

Sorry about suggesting the SMR drive earlier! I hope the parts have not been ordered and it is not too late to change the HDD in your friend's build?

Cheers
No worries, we are all humans and do make mistakes. If you remember, i was ordering the 64mb cache, non SMR drive (006 model) initially, but changed to the 256mb cache (008 model). The drive has arrived, i have installed and started using it. I guess, i will be able to comment on it's reliability in the future
Stay updated for the 3 lakh rupees PC build
We are planning to start a series using the rig, starting with the purchase descriptions, assembly and then the bench marks. Will post a detailed review here.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 17:54   #3409
Senior - BHPian

As long as you don't put in a crazy number of writes, you should be ok. If you are planning to use it as a dump and forget drive for say game installs and movies etc, then an SMR drive is ok.
Old 10th June 2020, 20:47   #3410
BHPian

Quote:
No worries, we are all humans and do make mistakes. If you remember, i was ordering the 64mb cache, non SMR drive (006 model) initially, but changed to the 256mb cache (008 model).
Yes, I do remember which one you originally selected, and that's exactly why I feel bad about suggesting the SMR one - thanks for being understanding though! Like reignofchaos said, unless it's going to be under very heavy use, there shouldn't be a day and night difference - mechanical drives (spinning rust as they're affectionately called by the enthusiast community ) are all slow anyway, and these drives are in use in Datacenters as well.

Quote:
Stay updated for the 3 lakh rupees PC build
We are planning to start a series using the rig, starting with the purchase descriptions, assembly and then the bench marks. Will post a detailed review here.
Is this the same build or a new one now? Workstation or gaming?

Cheers
Old 11th June 2020, 08:22   #3411
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I do remember which one you originally selected....Is this the same build or a new one now? Workstation or gaming?
Yes, since we will not be putting the HDD under stress, i left it and did not return it. It is the same build.
Old 11th June 2020, 13:52   #3412
BHPian

Quote:
If you have an FX chip, its best to dump it and move on to the AM4 platform and get a Ryzen. Even an entry level Ryzen 3100 will run circles around an FX chip.
Thanks for your inputs.

Is it possible to stick to the AM3+ socket for another 18 months by just changing the CPU?

Can you recommend a CPU better than the FX 8350 that can run on my existing set up?

1)The graphics card is Radeon 5450
2) Motherboard is Asus M5A97 R2.0
3) Corsair Vengeance 1333MHz 16 GB DDR3 RAM
4) Will be upgrading to a Crucial 480 GB SATA III SSD in a couple of days.
5) PSU is Corsair CX 500

Unfortunately, I don't have a budget to build a full PC right now as the one I plan on building will cost anywhere between INR 80k to 1 lac, excluding keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Edit:

Alternatively, can someone suggest a CPU + Motherboard + Graphics + RAM (16 GB) + PSU + Cabinet combo is less than 50k?

Open to Intel as well as AMD.

I don't need video editing as of now, if that helps. Also, zero gaming.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 11th June 2020 at 14:15.
Old 11th June 2020, 17:19   #3413
BHPian

Good evening. Anyone using Seagate Maxtor Z1 SSD?

I am getting it for INR 6900/- in an offline store. Amazon is showing INR 6700/-

If reviews are good, I would prefer buying offline.

Thanks in advance
Old 11th June 2020, 18:09   #3414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Is it possible to stick to the AM3+ socket for another 18 months by just changing the CPU?
Possible, yes. Recommended, no. You'd be putting more money into a dead-end platform.

Quote:
Alternatively, can someone suggest a CPU + Motherboard + Graphics + RAM (16 GB) + PSU + Cabinet combo is less than 50k?
Sure, I can make a suggested build for you, but I'm unclear on your use-case. If you're not using your PC for video editing or gaming, then why upgrade? - In other words, what part do you need to upgrade and why? Also, which part is more important to you, CPU or GPU?

Quote:
Anyone using Seagate Maxtor Z1 SSD?
Not using it, but the only review I could find seemed like this is a good drive. Not the best, but good enough for the price.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 19:20   #3415
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, I can make a suggested build for you, but I'm unclear on your use-case. If you're not using your PC for video editing or gaming, then why upgrade? - In other words, what part do you need to upgrade and why? Also, which part is more important to you, CPU or GPU?

My usage is IIS development, lots of Powershell, analysing 500 to 600 MB each of IIS Log files (notepad) using Log Parser, MS SQL queries, Advanced Microsoft Excel

Not using it, but the only review...Not the best, but good enough for the price.

Thanks, didn't buy today, will check other offline vendors tomorrow. My budget is not more than 7k for the 480 GB SSD, and since Amazon is showing longer delivery times (next Wednesday at my pin code) for Crucial MX and Kingston, I may buy offline as I want this weekend to count. So, if Seagate is not that bad, I can buy it. Later, if it turns out to be comparatively dud, then I can always have it as a storage drive in the new system that I build, however, I have a feeling that may not be the case because it's Seagate after all
Pls see my responses inline, and details are at post 3387

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4819864 (The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread)

In other words, I need to update the waiting times, the speed, to keep pace with resource intensive application and software.

Good graphics card is needed to have a 2K or 4K support for the 2K or 4K monitors. Not for gaming.

Thanks

Last edited by Safety is Param : 11th June 2020 at 19:31.
Old 11th June 2020, 19:42   #3416
BHPian

Quote:
Pls see my responses inline, and details are at post 3387. Thanks.
Ok, then it's a more powerful CPU + RAM for you all the way! In that case, why not wait for the new 4000 series Ryzen APUs to release, and not go for a GPU at all? The integrated graphics will be enough for your use-case, and that means you can afford to spend more on the CPU and RAM, which will be much more important for you.

The Ryzen 4000 series APUs are expected to release very soon (rumors are even possibly the 16th of June), so if that sounds good to you, then I suggest you wait just a little bit.

Edit: I just saw your edit about the GPU. How many monitors are you running in your setup? If only one, then the integrated graphics will still be fine.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 11th June 2020 at 19:52.
Old 11th June 2020, 20:08   #3417
Senior - BHPian

AM3 socket is dead - there are no new CPUs for it.

For best vfm, pick up a Ryzen 3600, an MSI B450 Tomahawk, 16GB 3200 MHz ram or 3600 MHz DDR4 ram (your choice of manufacturer), a decent quality corsair or antec or seasonic power supply and whatever ATX case that suits your fancy (Coolermaster, NZXT, Corsair, Fractal Design, Phanteks etc are decent brands). Reuse your existing GPU for display and buy something better later.

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs.

Can you recommend a CPU better than the FX 8350 that can run on my existing set up?

1)The graphics card is Radeon 5450
2) Motherboard is Asus M5A97 R2.0
3) Corsair Vengeance 1333MHz 16 GB DDR3 RAM
4) Will be upgrading to a Crucial 480 GB SATA III SSD in a couple of days.
5) PSU is Corsair CX 500

Unfortunately, I don't have a budget to build a full PC right now as the one I plan on building will cost anywhere between INR 80k to 1 lac, excluding keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Edit:

Open to Intel as well as AMD.

I don't need video editing as of now, if that helps. Also, zero gaming.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 11th June 2020 at 20:09.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 00:10   #3418
BHPian

Just realized, the Predator Thronos is available & in-stock at Acer's e-store in India for a cool 16L

https://store.acer.com/en-in/predator-thronos

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-1.jpg

They should really update the specs or release the more economical & newer Thronos Air !

Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:12   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Was reading a few comments about SMR hard disks in the previous pages. I was also clueless about it and believed HHDs were HDDs.

Anyway i got a Toshiba 6TB S300 HDD mainly for data archiving. Price was tempting at 13k and i desperately needed a data dump space.

Should i be concerned?
Old 12th June 2020, 15:01   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Anyway i got a Toshiba 6TB S300 HDD mainly for data archiving. Should i be concerned?
No, you have nothing to be concerned about. It will function just fine as a data archiving/dump drive.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks