Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 01:37   #3421
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
But thanks for pointing out, I might be better off upgrading to a cheap Ryzen too!
Toying with this idea for a while now. I don't do any processor intensive work professionally other than a few long Excel Macros (which only run on a single thread). Therefore, I don't want to waste money upgrading much.

My current system runs a 1TB SATA SSD, which is fairly fast, but the more I read about the m.2 interface, I want a piece of it! for which I need to upgrade.

I currently have an AMD FX8350, with 8GB DDR3 1866.

The total cost of all this just for the M.2 SSD speed and some gains from the new processor (single core is a bottleneck for me) comes to Rs. 37,596, worth it, in terms of an upgrade?

My current system runs a Corsair H50 liquid cooler, for which I can't find a bracket in stock for AM4 socket (I like the system silent and cool, liquid coolers are easy to clean too, but I'm not investing in another one)

Last edited by SLK : 15th June 2020 at 01:41.
Old 20th June 2020, 14:47   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Is there a USB dongle that can enable wifi and bluetooth on my desktop? I can see TP Link has individual usb drives for each.Do we have a single dongle that has both wifi and bluetooth?
Old 20th June 2020, 14:52   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Is there a USB dongle that can enable wifi and bluetooth on my desktop? I can see TP Link has individual usb drives for each.Do we have a single dongle that has both wifi and bluetooth?
Plenty on Amazon. Here is a random one:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07H9VL11L/ref=dp_prsubs_2
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 00:06   #3424
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some suggestion.

My gaming rig is as below:

Ryzen 5 - 1600
8gb DDR 4 - 2400mhz
Gtx 1080 8gb

I’m thinking of updating memory to 3200mhz with dual channel config.

Have read somewhere on the web, the processor I’m running on I.e. r1600 isn’t capable of utilising 3200mhz. Max it supports 2666mhz. Is it true? What’s better way to reduce stuttering on COD WARZONE specifically?

Regards

RV
Old 15th July 2020, 00:40   #3425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post

Have read somewhere on the web, the processor I’m running on I.e. r1600 isn’t capable of utilising 3200mhz. Max it supports 2666mhz. Is it true? What’s better way to reduce stuttering on COD WARZONE specifically?

Regards

RV
Your memory frequency is fine at 2400MHz, it's fast enough. But you would definitely benefit from at least 16 GB of RAM. 8 GB isn't quite enough and doesn't do justice to the rest of the specs.

Regarding the frequency support, you'll have to check your motherboard/CPU both for what they support for compatibility.
Old 19th July 2020, 09:24   #3426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys need some suggestion.

My gaming rig is as below:

Ryzen 5 - 1600
8gb DDR 4 - 2400mhz
Gtx 1080 8gb

Regards

RV
The official support for ryzen 1st gen ends at 2666. However most will do 3200 without much trouble.

I was running a 1700 with 2*16GB ddr4 3200 without much trouble until earlier this year when I upgraded to a 3950x.

Just make sure to update your board to the newest bios available. You should be able to run 2*8GB or 2*16GB. Make sure you use two identical dimms.

Warzone needs at least 16GB of memory or else you will get stuttering.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 19th July 2020 at 09:26.
Old 19th July 2020, 09:50   #3427
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone throw some light on how these PCIe based SSDs work? I currently have a 120GB SATA SSD on my desktop along with a 1TB Hard drive. I wanted to expand the storage and while searching for SSDs I found these PCIe based products. I understand that its going to be faster since it directly interfaces via PCI. However, to experience the real difference I will have to move my operating system into this drive, which is nothing but a full reinstall. Apart from this, is there any other benefit of this setup or shall I just buy the regular SATA based SSDs? Should I just go for the PCI to be future ready?

EDIT: Since the cost difference between a SATA SSD and PCIe SSD wasnt significant, I ordered a WD Blue 500GB SSD from Amazon.

Last edited by audioholic : 19th July 2020 at 10:06.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 14:32   #3428
Senior - BHPian

I was quite impressed by the Dolby Atmos sound system in the new Lenovo laptops. There are numerous videos on this installation on any laptop (Win 10). Is there anyone here who managed this feat? My laptop has Beats Audio which is great but with the Atmos demo its really distinct, so wanted to try that.
Old 19th July 2020, 14:47   #3429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Just make sure to update your board to the newest bios available. You should be able to run 2*8GB or 2*16GB. Make sure you use two identical dimms.

Warzone needs at least 16GB of memory or else you will get stuttering.
Thank you. In that case I’ll get 2*8GB DIMM for my MOBO MSI B450 chipset. But should I update the bios before running on 3200mhz? Will it utilize the complete 3200?

Bios update is mandatory?
Old 19th July 2020, 17:52   #3430
BHPian

What size RAM is used on mini/ micro tower desktops? I just purchased an additional computer for light office use, a Lenovo Ideacentre 510s and the RAM seems to be of a size smaller than full desktops but bigger than laptops. I have frequently done upgrades on computers earlier but this model has me stumped. The motherboard number finds no hits on the internet and tools like Crucial memory scanner seem to recommend full size desktop RAM. I wanted to order online and wanted to make sure I got the right type. I can get the type from tools like cpu-z that shows it to be DDR4 single channel etc but how can I find the size or the number of pins?
Old 19th July 2020, 18:11   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. In that case I’ll get 2*8GB DIMM for my MOBO MSI B450 chipset. But should I update the bios before running on 3200mhz? Will it utilize the complete 3200?

Bios update is mandatory?
Depends on how old your bios is. If it is recent, it may not be necessary. What MSI b450 board do you have? I mean what is the exact model number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
What size RAM is used on mini/ micro tower desktops? I just purchased an additional computer for light office use, a Lenovo Ideacentre 510s and the RAM seems to be of a size smaller than full desktops but bigger than laptops. I have frequently done upgrades on computers earlier but this model has me stumped. The motherboard number finds no hits on the internet and tools like Crucial memory scanner seem to recommend full size desktop RAM. I wanted to order online and wanted to make sure I got the right type. I can get the type from tools like cpu-z that shows it to be DDR4 single channel etc but how can I find the size or the number of pins?
Can you please run cpu-z and paste a screenshot of the memory tab selecting one of the rams? I wish to know the exact model id of the ram sticks. There are only two sizes - DDR4 UDIMM and DDR4 SO-DIMM used by laptops.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 18:34   #3432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends on how old your bios is. If it is recent, it may not be necessary. What MSI b450 board do you have? I mean what is the exact model number?
B450 Gaming plus (MS-7B86) is the model number i am seeing on CPU Z. Should I update?
Old 19th July 2020, 19:08   #3433
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please run cpu-z and paste a screenshot of the memory tab selecting one of the rams? I wish to know the exact model id of the ram sticks. There are only two sizes - DDR4 UDIMM and DDR4 SO-DIMM used by laptops.
Here it is. I tried searching with that part number as well.
Attached Images

Old 19th July 2020, 21:50   #3434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Here it is. I tried searching with that part number as well.
Looks like generic hynix UDIMM. Can you take a picture of the innards just to confirm.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 22:06   #3435
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like generic hynix UDIMM. Can you take a picture of the innards just to confirm.
The RAM is hidden under the hard drive. I will have to open the enclosure and remove the hard drive and optical drive to take a picture. I will post it in a bit. Here is a picture taken without disassembly.
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-img_20200719_111154.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks