Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th February 2020, 13:33   #7561
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

So it's a quirk of the way the motor works? I always thought it was designed in.

Thanks for the correction
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 18:19   #7562
BHPian

Default Re: Does your microwave turntable dance both ways?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I haven't noticed with my current LG oven, but I have seen this in the past, and would not be surprised. I think you can consider it normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
As long the switch between CW and CCW for the turntable rotation does not happen within a given run cycle, this is totally acceptable. Not very uncommon. The relative AC phase in some motors can do that.

The CW and CCW rotations can occur in independent start/stop cycles.

I have seen momentary pauses too. If the pauses are consistent across the complete rotation, should be no cause to worry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even our new LG high end oven behaves the same way. It has a mind of its own on when it will turn the table CW or CCW. And that mild steppy movement is also present.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It depends on where the motor stopped in the previous cycle. An AC synchronous motor can rotate any side given the one which has stronger magnetic induction and this is dictated by the position at which the last cycle stopped....

Thanks guys. Now I'm reassured that I don't need to call service.

Thanks Saket, for the technical explanation.

Quote:
.... Would you want to predict it?

Actually I did, when I was wondering how to show the behaviour to the service guy, -- until it occured to me that I could shoot videos with this handy wondergadget that I have (that, for some reason, is called a "phone")! :-)

The predictability could possibly also help someone stuck with a wrong-Vaastu kitchen, in turning out kosher dishes by rotating the cooking food just the right way! :-).

Quote:
.... I would like to have a microwave without a turntable. I think Panasonic make one, but I can't find it available. They spray the microwaves around instead of turning the food. (Or something like that!)

I suspect they use some kind of mode-stirrer in that model, like I had in my 30-year-old GE MWO. As I'd mentioned in my original post, the GE produced uniform cooking, with no hot spots, -- something my modern Samsung "Smart Oven" doesn't seem to achieve with its fancy-dancing turntable!

Last edited by meerkat : 15th February 2020 at 18:22.
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 19:06   #7563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
With new LGs, I no longer trust them. I had a LG top washing machine for 12 years which was always in my bathroom & it worked just fine. Then I got a new LG top loader. Now the new one apparently isn't designed to work in humid conditions. I get a small shock when I touch parts of the plastic (like the soap tray) - it's brain dead design to make a washing machine which isn't 100% water proof. And LG knows how to make one - my previous washing machine is proof of that. Just that they chose not to make one. When I had to replace my Sharp Microwave a few months back, I chose a Samsung (my usual first preference used to be LG before for all home appliances).
It might be because of a loose or broken ground contact inside the machine. If it is under warranty then ask the LG technician to check earthing connection inside the machine.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 21:37   #7564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Actually I did, when I was wondering how to show the behaviour to the service guy, -- until it occured to me that I could shoot videos with this handy wondergadget that I have (that, for some reason, is called a "phone")! :-)
The thing I do least with my pocket computer is... make phone calls.
Quote:
The predictability could possibly also help someone stuck with a wrong-Vaastu kitchen, in turning out kosher dishes by rotating the cooking food just the right way! :-).
Kosher food from a vaastu kitchen? Keeping your bases covered there!
Quote:
I suspect they use some kind of mode-stirrer in that model
What's a mode stirrer? I nearly asked before.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 23:50   #7565
BHPian

Quote:

Kosher food from a vaastu kitchen? Keeping your bases covered there!
Sorry, have used a relaxed meaning of "kosher" there -- something 'proper' or 'legitimate' (American colloquial usage?), -- nothing to do with Judaism!

Quote:
What's a mode stirrer? I nearly asked before.
Mode stirrers are devices that change the boundary conditions on the microwave modes excited in a microwave cavity in order to achieve better homogeneity in the field distribution. This affords more uniform heating of the food. Technically speaking, modern MWOs should have both mode stirrers as well as turntables. But economics may dictate something else! That probably explains why my modern Samsung seems to be inferior to my 30-year-old GE in terms of cooking performance!
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 16:27   #7566
BHPian

Hi,
I have a borewell(3 phase) of 800 feet depth. Need to add a auto controller for borewell switch-board on/off based on water available in sump. Any directions or if anybody has fitted such auto controller for borewell please let me know the manufacturer or details.

Thanks,
Ramki
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 20:29   #7567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please post the photos! I'm confused!

Burners should be designed to give proper gas/air mixture and correct flame shape. Whatever is holding the pots should hold it them at the right height to be at the hot point (give or take for knob level) of the flame.

I would certainly not adapt the burner. It could be dangerous.
Hey Thad. I'd posted up some pics. Missed quoting you in my reply when adding pics.

GutsyGibbon had suggested aftermarket grills - am on the lookout for some of these.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 21:08   #7568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
if anybody has fitted such auto controller for borewell please let me know the manufacturer or details.
I have been using the auto level controller from this guy for past 10+ years without issues. Once in couple of years call them for servicing the sensors dipped in 'Sump' and 'Overhead' tanks and that's about it.

https://www.justdial.com/Bangalore/S...410-G1V2_BZDET
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote