Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:03   #3016
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax View Post
a relative of mine stays in the US. I am thinking of asking him to send one iPhone 3G for me. Could you guys please help me clarify a few doubts i have:

1) Can a US bought iPhone be unlocked anywhere in India(delhi). Is here any risk involved such as the iPhone getting blocked by Apple etc etc

2) What are the various ways through which the phone can be bought in US. with a connection i know the phone comes quite cheap but will it be a problem for the one in US who will buy the phone with a connection and then send it to me here in delhi coz the connection will be in his name.

3) I have heard that the size of the sim slots in iPhone doesnt match with the SIMS here in India(Specially BSNL). Is it true?

4) any other way through which an iPhone can be bought in US to be sent to India
iPhone 3G in the age of iPhone 4? You are better off buying atleast the 3GS if not the 4. There are many sources in India where you can get a good deal (30K for 3GS on ebay). Would not recommend buying it from US unless you wish to spend a lot of time in jailbreaking it and watching out for cracks every time a software update is released. Its a headache and not really worth it.
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:40   #3017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Does anyone else have this problem? I am having Airtel Connection + Mobile Office But no 3G.

I am not sure if the problem is with Airtel or IPhone. Airtel suggested some settings, but they are not helping. Anyone else having same problem?
I too have this problem and from what I have seen this happens for all jailbroken phones. May be non JB'd owners can comment. But I have seen this issue to be reported in the iphone dev blog. I too have same problem, but once turned on, it works good. Alternatively, you can set your mail settings to check every 1 hour. Of course, you have whole 2.5 GB and you shouldn't loose much data or battery. This would ensure you have same IP address and would work when you are trying to do something with internet.
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:54   #3018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax View Post
a relative of mine stays in the US. I am thinking of asking him to send one iPhone 3G for me. Could you guys please help me clarify a few doubts i have:

1) Can a US bought iPhone be unlocked anywhere in India(delhi). Is here any risk involved such as the iPhone getting blocked by Apple etc etc

2) What are the various ways through which the phone can be bought in US. with a connection i know the phone comes quite cheap but will it be a problem for the one in US who will buy the phone with a connection and then send it to me here in delhi coz the connection will be in his name.

3) I have heard that the size of the sim slots in iPhone doesnt match with the SIMS here in India(Specially BSNL). Is it true?

4) any other way through which an iPhone can be bought in US to be sent to India
If you want the 3GS, I can ship to you, its factory unlocked
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:39   #3019
BHPian

Just bought the iphone 4 - factory unlocked. Got a sim cutter and its working fine. Can i get an application to record all my phone calls by default like I had on my Nokia E71?
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:22   #3020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
Just bought the iphone 4 - factory unlocked. Got a sim cutter and its working fine. Can i get an application to record all my phone calls by default like I had on my Nokia E71?
Congrats on the purchase. For call recording, you can try the "CallRec.me" app from the App store.
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:49   #3021
BHPian

Thanks fuel_addict, but the CallRec.me application uses an online server to record calls. You need to purchase additional recording minutes. Is there no application that would record calls in the phone itself like total recall on symbian.
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:42   #3022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
Thanks fuel_addict, but the CallRec.me application uses an online server to record calls. You need to purchase additional recording minutes. Is there no application that would record calls in the phone itself like total recall on symbian.
I am not really aware. I think this CallRec.me app allows you to records only outgoing calls for free. Incoming calls as you said, require you to call a US based number for activation.
Old 27th April 2011, 16:08   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
hi guys.
I have a problem with my Iphone 3gs. It runs on IOS 4.2.1 and BB FW of 6.15.

The Edge connection is ON always, but sometimes, it just does not work. However, i just switch OFF and ON EDGE (Cellular Data on the Iphone Menu) and it gets a new IP Address and works fine. THis goes on for a couple of hours. I hardly use it during office hours, but once in a while when i try, it sometimes works and soemtimes does not.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am having Airtel Connection + Mobile Office But no 3G.

I am not sure if the problem is with Airtel or IPhone. Airtel suggested some settings, but they are not helping. Anyone else having same problem?
I reset the network settings on my iPhone 4 but still the EDGE connection will sometimes not allow data access. The E stays on but no data is received. Since I don't use EDGE for any data access at work (no emails, no messenger), I am beginning to believe that leaving E on for a long time and not accessing any data causes the EDGE connection to go dormant. Of course, a simple ON/OFF of the Cellular Data option and the connection works normally.

I wish there was a way we could leave Cellular Data option to OFF and the phone would prompt us to turn it ON when we want to access the internet. This feature was available in Nokia where I would get a prompt for both EDGE or LAN (wifi).
Old 28th April 2011, 00:22   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I wish there was a way we could leave Cellular Data option to OFF and the phone would prompt us to turn it ON when we want to access the internet. This feature was available in Nokia where I would get a prompt for both EDGE or LAN (wifi).
iPhone does prompt you for internet, if you have turned off cellular data. The alert points to settings and then you can do whatever. I am not sure if you have JB'ed, but an amazing app is to install SB Settings after you have JB'ed
Old 28th April 2011, 00:38   #3025
Senior - BHPian

Is the personal-hotspot supposed to work with all operators? Works on my iphone, but not on my sister's.

Anyone know if it'll work with Airtel or Vodafone (3G)?
Old 28th April 2011, 01:12   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Is the personal-hotspot supposed to work with all operators? Works on my iphone, but not on my sister's.

It doesn't work at least in my phone on Airtel 3G here in Bangalore but its works without any issues on DoCoMo 3G
CRV2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 08:49   #3027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I reset the network settings on my iPhone 4 but still the EDGE connection will sometimes not allow data access. The E stays on but no data is received. Since I don't use EDGE for any data access at work (no emails, no messenger), I am beginning to believe that leaving E on for a long time and not accessing any data causes the EDGE connection to go dormant. Of course, a simple ON/OFF of the Cellular Data option and the connection works normally.

Are you guys on the airtel network? If so, then this is a known issue. Airtel does not have a clue about this and everyone who have a iPhone or a smart phone that stays connected to the internet all the time (except for the Blackberry) have the same issue. I have called airtel several times and all they say is check your phone APN settings, reboot the phone.. etc. Though the frequency in which it used to disconnect has gone down now, It is still not fixed completely. Planning to switch my network.
Pri2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 09:59   #3028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post

Yes, it does work with Vodafone. Again, I can't logically understand why this should be operator specific. I thought all operators allow internet tethering. I have heard AT&T charging a fee for this feature in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
iPhone does prompt you for internet, if you have turned off cellular data. The alert points to settings and then you can do whatever. I am not sure if you have JB'ed, but an amazing app is to install SB Settings after you have JB'ed
Thanks. I was not aware of this. I use a factory unlocked iP4. I checked and it does prompt for internet if the cellular data switch is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Are you guys on the airtel network? If so, then this is a known issue. Airtel does not have a clue about this and everyone who have a iPhone or a smart phone that stays connected to the internet all the time (except for the Blackberry) have the same issue. I have called airtel several times and all they say is check your phone APN settings, reboot the phone.. etc. Though the frequency in which it used to disconnect has gone down now, It is still not fixed completely. Planning to switch my network.
I use Vodafone. I guess they are all the same. Even when I call Vodafone, they seem to be clueless. All they can say is that you should use a iPhone specific plan or else we cannot help you.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 28th April 2011 at 10:00.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 10:09   #3029
Senior - BHPian

I am having Airtel 3G, Chennai and Personal Hotspot is working like a Charm.
Even i used it in Vijayawada and B'lore with my Laptop.
Sometimes i got 8Mbps downloading and 3 Mbps uploading speed.
I am very much enjoying the technology.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 28th April 2011 at 10:11.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 11:40   #3030
BHPian

has anyone tried buying iPhone 4 - factory unlocked at about 35ks

eBay India: BRAND NEW APPLE IPHONE 4 16GB FACTORY UNLOCKED BOX PACK (item 280655617297 end time 06-May-2011 13:39:43 IST)

if yes - what are the pros and cons?

Most Viewed