Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2019, 21:47   #12211
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I have been using the iPhone 8Plus for almost a couple of years, and am starting to feel ergonomic issues now. While it still works quite well and has a very good dual lens camera set up, I am somehow getting the need to 'downsize' . In this world of "slim fit and sharp fit" trousers, at age 45, a big 16:9 phone is a bit of a bother, if you know what I mean. But I am not able to see any decent medium size high performance phone other than the iPhone 11 Pro, that's an upgrade worth around 69K. Slightly more than what I paid for the 8Plus two years ago. Thats likely to invite more than just a frown from the Missus.
Quick update: Got myself the 11Pro . Enjoying it thoroughly. I love its compact yet wholesome design, not to mention the ultra wide angle lens.
Old 30th September 2019, 02:14   #12212
BHPian

I was aiming for the iPhone 11 128gb, had planned to buy the same in January.

Got to know about the Amazon offer from Bhpian SAMBA on 28th afternoon. After looking at the offer, it didn't make sense to spend almost 27k extra for just the dual camera setup and minor changes.

Couldn't resist myself after looking at the sweet deal and ordered the iPhone XR 128gb for 43k. Finally back to iOS.
Old 30th September 2019, 10:10   #12213
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update: Got myself the 11Pro . Enjoying it thoroughly. I love its compact yet wholesome design, not to mention the ultra wide angle lens.

Congrats, which color did you go for? I am inclined towards matt gold color but reviews out there are going gaga over matt green color. I'll try to swing by the showroom today and check out in person as well but till then your teaser would be appreciated 😊
Old 30th September 2019, 10:56   #12214
BHPian

Thanks guys!

I had gone ahead and placed an order before the price goes up and waited for the iPhone 7 deal in Flipkart which opened today. @27K the 7 is 7k more than 6S and loses the headphone jack. I am in two minds whether to cancel 6S and get the 7. It is tougher convincing the wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
My wife is using 3 year old 6s updated to ios13, its still very fast, but camera little weak by today's standards.
My wife is a light user (Whatsapp, Facebook and Youtube) and was happy with the 5S - until the battery started going down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Better half uses an SE (which is essentially the 6S minus a few bits in a smaller form factor).
The ideal upgrade for her would have been the SE if it was still on sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner View Post
My advise would be to spend some more and get the 7
Everything except the headphone jack is pulling me towards it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Would make sense to snag a used 7 or 8 which would be very good.
All her phones had been hand downs from me. So only new this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
If you don't want to spend that much, bite the bullet and switch to Android.
She already has a secondary phone (MI A2) which she hardly touches. She is sold to iPhone.

Last edited by civic-sense : 30th September 2019 at 10:57.
Old 30th September 2019, 11:04   #12215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is there an easier way to block spam messages from the messaging app, other than clicking on the i, and then open the contact and block it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
If you want to hide alerts the easiest way is to swipe left and click on hide alerts. For blocking I think you need to follow what you do.

The problem is that blocks work on phone numbers. However, in India, we have these SMS Service Providers with cryptic names instead of numbers (like VK-VWCARE and AX-VWCARE etc.) - multiple service providers for each merchant.

Blocking these do not seem to actually have any result. I still get messages from Hyundai's service providers because I owned one four years ago; and from other dealers and stores because I made the mistake of giving them my real phone number.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 30th September 2019 at 11:06. Reason: Typos
Old 30th September 2019, 11:42   #12216
BHPian

Updated my 6S to iOS 13.1 (not yet to 13.1.1). The mail app seems to have most bugs but otherwise it is working ok. The dark mode will take some time to get used to.

Now hopefully I can jailbreak soon once CheckM8 is available (need to check details).
Old 30th September 2019, 12:00   #12217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Congrats, which color did you go for? I am inclined towards matt gold color but reviews out there are going gaga over matt green color. I'll try to swing by the showroom today and check out in person as well but till then your teaser would be appreciated 😊
Well i chose the space grey- simple and sober, also doesn’t attract “ unwanted “ attention. As mentioned earlier , the compact form factor was important for me and I really had no choice given that there is no phone in the premium category that is not large or bulky, other than Pixel 3. And I am somehow not inclined to go back to the Droid-verse, having also switched to the super fast MacBook Pro for personal use last year. But the space green looks interesting, no doubt. I got a sense from the Nyasa (Apple) store manager that the iPhone 11 was the one in maximum demand, and they were short on stock for some of the configurations.
Old 30th September 2019, 13:11   #12218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The problem is that blocks work on phone numbers. However, in India, we have these SMS Service Providers with cryptic names instead of numbers (like VK-VWCARE and AX-VWCARE etc.)
I have installed the TRAI DND app. I keep on reporting all such message and have been doing so since last 1 year. The frequency has reduced a lot, though not stopped. With the app, you can directly report from sms, as it self-creates a complaint to 1901.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Update on my issue after the Apple Service Centre visit.
My phone connected to iTunes immediately with my cable and theirs on their Mac. Just to be sure had them check it 4 times in my presence in 15 minutes or so.
Phew. That is a good and relieving news indeed. One more suggestion is to try iMazing. It is a replacement for iTunes and backup/restore/selective backup-restore/battery health status, etc are easier and much better there. It is a paid software, but the 'cough-cough' version is also available.

I finally found a used X 256 on OLX last evening for 42000, but then, reconsidered my decision thinking that I use my phones for 3 years minimum. My daughter would want a smartphone within the next 2 years or so, and mine or wife's can be passed on to her.
Currently I am good on a 7 128 GB and hopefully next year would be all OLED'S with entry level risen up to 128GB from 64GB. It is difficult to pass buying the 11 Pro, considering the advertisements being bombarded, but I am taking it as a challenge of mind over matter.
Too much philosophy here. Will stay away from this thread for a while to keep my itchy fingers away from Amazon & Flipkart.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 30th September 2019 at 13:13.
Old 30th September 2019, 15:23   #12219
Distinguished - BHPian

iOS 13 has to be the most buggy iOS release till date. I cannot fathom so many layman user level bugs in a single version. The iPhone is connected to the charger. You turn off and restart the phone in this connected state. The ringer volume goes down to almost next to nil. Happens everytime.

Edit: Happens even when the phone is not plugged in!

Last edited by saket77 : 30th September 2019 at 15:30.
Old 30th September 2019, 15:47   #12220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Me too!!

Had placed an order through amazon, which finally got delivered today morning. Had set it up from a backup from the old X and so far so good. It fells heavier alright! compared to the X, thought its hardly few gms. Form wise slightly wider also. Yet to really explore camera in detail, esp the wide angle, low light etc, which I will get to in the evening hopefully. Otherwise decent phone.

Honest first opinion, if you are on X or higher, unless you need to a dual sim and that wide angle camera, best NOT to upgrade.

Have to activate the e-sim, ie once I make all my monthly bank payments lol. I believe the OTP sms will be blocked for a 2 days once sim is changed.
Old 30th September 2019, 17:14   #12221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The ringer volume goes down to almost next to nil. Happens everytime.
Settings> Sounds&Haptic>Ringer & Alerts...Is your Change with Buttons on or off? I have always kept it off to avoid accidental pressing of volume buttons to change ringer volume. Mine stays put when tried with your situation.
Old 30th September 2019, 17:20   #12222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Settings> Sounds&Haptic>Ringer & Alerts...Is your Change with Buttons on or off? I have always kept it off to avoid accidental pressing of volume buttons to change ringer volume. Mine stays put when tried with your situation.
Thanks Ritesh; but I prefer keeping the switches enabled. Was weighing the pros & cons of 12.4.1 vs 13.1.1 and if it makes sense to roll back & stay there.
Old 30th September 2019, 17:32   #12223

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Updated my 6S to iOS 13.1 (not yet to 13.1.1). The mail app seems to have most bugs but otherwise it is working ok. The dark mode will take some time to get used to.

Now hopefully I can jailbreak soon once CheckM8 is available (need to check details).
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
iOS 13 has to be the most buggy iOS release till date. I cannot fathom so many layman user level bugs in a single version. The iPhone is connected to the charger. You turn off and restart the phone in this connected state. The ringer volume goes down to almost next to nil. Happens everytime.

Edit: Happens even when the phone is not plugged in!
This is true. Have already upgraded to 13.1.1 but still facing issues with default mail app. Also some other apps I use have stopped working on iOS 13.

Never saw Apple patching latest release so early before and they have done it twice already.
Old 30th September 2019, 17:50   #12224
BHPian

I tried keeping 'Change with buttons' on, then turned it all the way up using volume up, then switched off the phone and after a minute started it again. Volume was at 100% where I had left it. Don't know why yours goes down.

Try switching off 'Change with buttons', then keep at 100%, shut down, then start and see if it stay there. Then again, switch on 'change with buttons' and repeat and see if that changes anything.
Old 30th September 2019, 18:59   #12225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Try switching off 'Change with buttons', then keep at 100%, shut down, then start and see if it stay there. Then again, switch on 'change with buttons' and repeat and see if that changes anything.
Tried that. Didn't work. Here's a video clip of the issue that I shot just now. Apart from this issue, another thing I noticed that any recorded video on the phone starts in mute mode by default. You have to enable the volume to have the audio. This is not just with 13.1.1. It came right with iOS 13:

Last edited by saket77 : 30th September 2019 at 19:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks