Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 13:50   #13111
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
Hey folks,I am in a bit of a pickle.
Ouch.
1) Check on Apple India, what you would get as an exchange price for a working XR if you had to buy a new phone. I believe something like 28000. Then compare the repair cost vis-a-vis this exchange price and take a call if you want to upgrade.
2) Check on cashify what is the purchase price for a smashed device.
3) Repair with a FNG version of a mobile repair shop and move on.

P.S. Considering you are in Mumbai and if Mahim is closeby , I can recommend an Ex Apple Engineer who has his chop shop for all things Apple and can be relied upon rather than a hole in a wall operator.
Old 21st October 2020, 14:52   #13112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any advice to get out of this short of paying through the nose ?
“Accident” Pictures attached. Not for the faint hearted.
Go with Ritesh's advice.

Additionally, you could do the following:

1. Check with Apple how much they would charge to fix this.

2. Assuming they would charge a bomb, get it fixed from a local (but good) shop.

BUT, in case the difference between the local shop and Apple is ~ 4K, please please please get it done through Apple. Since its relatively new phone, you need their service support going forward. If you fix it from outside your 4 month old phone will lose warranty immediately.

In case you HAVE TO go through a local shop and lose warranty check out GadgetZippy.com. Last time I got my iPad fixed from them. They had decent online reviews. Apparently, they are screen-fix experts and can do it in 4 hours. I did not have a very pleasant customer experience with them so to say; but they did the job and my iPad still works.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st October 2020 at 17:34. Reason: lost = lose.
Old 21st October 2020, 17:17   #13113
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Ouch.

P.S. Considering you are in Mumbai and if Mahim is closeby , I can recommend an Ex Apple Engineer who has his chop shop for all things Apple and can be relied upon rather than a hole in a wall operator.

Apple India is charging almost 30000 for the replacement screen. A brand new XR is available for 39000 (37500 with discounts).
Cashify quoted 3450 for a smashed XR.

It would be awesome if you could share the contact of this person in Mahim. It's pretty close for me.

Thanks Ritesh and Pancham for your quick responses.
Old 21st October 2020, 17:29   #13114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
A little surprised that to hear you had trouble with E-sim. I bought my iPhone XR during the launch in 2018 Diwali purely because of the dual sim capabilities, let go off 2 iPhones and bought the XR purely for the dual sim. And way back in 2018 the whole esim thing was new for jio, so I did have a hard time running to the jio store many times. But I thought that was mainly due to the fact that they were not prepared for this in 2018, but subsequently this process seems to have become easier. I can recall 2 of my office colleagues getting the esim with no trouble at all.
Problem was in locating a Jio Store which hasn't closed. In my neighborhood a lot of stores have closed permanently and that hasn't been updated either on the Jio Website or Google Maps. So when I went to two stores found them shuttered and boards removed I got really pissed. Neither are the Jio Customer Care guys aware of the stores that are really open. Once I went to the store that was open it was fairly smooth process.
Old 21st October 2020, 18:58   #13115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Like the physical sim can be easily removed and put in the new device. What's the process with e-sim?
Its same process as getting new e-sim. For Jio, visit their store and for Airtel, the email process.
Old 21st October 2020, 19:17   #13116
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Bought another Apple 11 64gb in Purple, this time for my sister. Exchanged her 4yr old iPhone 6s 16gb & got 11.5k ! I was a bit shocked Unicorn store at the local mall offered so much for 6s which is in ok condition. On the Apple Online Store, buyback was only showing 7k. In comparison, a friend got only 11k for a 4yr iPhone 8 from Aptronix!

Quote:
,I am in a bit of a pickle. My partner dropped her 4 months old iPhone XR down the stairs and it smashed pretty badly.
Next time please do invest in a Tempered Glass + a good case like Spigen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Considering you are in Mumbai and if Mahim is closeby , I can recommend an Ex Apple Engineer who has his chop shop for all things Apple and can be relied upon rather than a hole in a wall operator.
For the benefit of everyone, please do post the details here of the person. Thanks.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:22   #13117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Next time please do invest in a Tempered Glass + a good case like Spigen.
This. I have a 6S since 2015, always used tempered glass and a case similar to spigen tough armor (basically a copy) and it held up very well for 4 years. I have had my phone dropped few times and in couple of instances the tempered glass broke but screen is fine and case took all the brunt of corner drops.

My wife use a X and I sweat everytime I see her using phone without the case and politely tell her to please use case as I don't have 70K to spend on her new phone and told he she will get a 5K used android if this breaks due to her usage.
Old 21st October 2020, 19:26   #13118
Senior - BHPian

Where exactly did you trade in? That's an amazing exchange value
Quote:
Bought another Apple 11 64gb in Purple
Old 21st October 2020, 19:28   #13119
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
This. I have a 6S since 2015, always used tempered glass and a case similar to spigen tough armor (basically a copy) and it held up very well for 4 years. I have had my phone dropped few times and in couple of instances the tempered glass broke but screen is fine and case took all the brunt of corner drops.
Previously, I had used MTT Tempered Glass on my 6s which lasted several years. Then one fine day it accidentally came off while I was trying to get my Spigen case off. Today, I've put the Tempered Glass from the Apple showroom for Rs 1,190/- on my sisters iPhone. Will do the same for mine as well later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Where exactly did you trade in? That's an amazing exchange value
Sister's iPhone 6s 16gb for 11.5k ! Yes, was a great deal. Could have got more for my iPhone 6s 64gb but there are spots on my screen + I think I'll keep a spare iPhone just in case.

Last edited by PPS : 21st October 2020 at 19:31.
Old 21st October 2020, 19:47   #13120
BHPian

Quote:
Could have got more for my iPhone 6s 64gb but there are spots on my screen + I think I'll keep a spare iPhone just in case.
For the spots, make sure you check the battery is not bulging. I started abruptly seeing spots and thought the screen is going bad but one day I removed the case and found that the screen glass was elevated and battery was bulging. Immediately got battery changed locally and spots were gone.
Old 21st October 2020, 20:49   #13121
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Has anyone replaced the battery for the XR? I have a XR which is just about to complete 2 years, and my battery health is down to about 89%. Plus, iOS 14 seems to be draining the battery faster than usual. I have no other problems with my phone, im not a heavy camera user nor do I play games, so the phone basically suffices my requirements, hence do not want to upgrade as of now. Also, I bought my XR for 70k, and selling it for around 20k now wouldnt be a wise decision, so thinking of holding on to it for at least another one year.

As per Apple, battery needs to be changed when it comes down to 80% or lower, so im expecting that my phone will be there in the next 4-5 months, so just checking if anyone has already done this.
Old 21st October 2020, 21:46   #13122
BHPian

Hello,

As part of the ongoing festive sale, my sister is planning to upgrade her phone (android) to an iPhone. This would be the first iPhone in the family, all are android mobiles so far.

Apple showroom is not offering any good deals on the pricing so planning to buy the 128 GB version from Amazon itself. Had a few concerns around the seller Darshita Electronics but the below members have confirmed that it is good so we should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
One Plus phones are sold on Amazon by Darshita Electronics since quite sometime, so, I would not worry if I were you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Some iPhone 11 variants do get the HDFC 10% (limited to ₹ 1750) off, but Not any cash back bonus. Some 128GB variants or some colors get neither.

Nothing I can see that is a cause for worry. Darshita Electronic order are fulfilled by Amazon and also has a higher rating than even Appario (Amazon's own managed shop).
One more query, we do not have any other device from apple eco system in our household but only Windows laptops. Would that be a problem in terms of transferring files between iPhone and laptop (backup)?

The deals and offers, as pointed above is varying so would be checking the site periodically to see what is available in 128 GB variant. Currently Amazon is not showing any 128 GB variant.

Initially was planning for 11 Pro since it has a FHD resolution and 11 does not but that was too expensive so dropped the idea for now.

Cheers,
S

EDIT: The 128 GB variant is available on Amazon, searched again just now and it showed up in the results.

Last edited by sukhoi : 21st October 2020 at 21:57. Reason: Added info about 128 GB variant availability
Old 21st October 2020, 21:51   #13123
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
It would be awesome if you could share the contact of this person in Mahim. It's pretty close for me.
Incase the Mahim lead doesn't work out, I have a guy in Matunga East who had replaced my iphone screen after a similar accident. Check with the Mahim guy first since he's an ex Apple guy.
Old 21st October 2020, 21:58   #13124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
One more query, we do not have any other device from apple eco system in our household but only Windows laptops. Would that be a problem in terms of transferring files between iPhone and laptop (backup)?
I have a non-sim iPad and and I have never been able to simply transfer a video to it. I find it annoyingly difficult transfer anything to apple devices. But that's my personal opinion.

Many who like apple, have learnt it. After all its not a simple drag and drop or Crtl+C - Ctrl+V like androids, one needs to learn it.

Quote:
The deals and offers, as pointed above is varying so would be checking the site periodically to see what is available in 128 GB variant. Currently Amazon is not showing any 128 GB variant.

Initially was planning for 11 Pro since it has a FHD resolution and 11 does not but that was too expensive so dropped the idea for now.
The biggest difference in the iPhone 11 and 12 is the display. For the first time its coming with an OLED display (apple calls Super Retina XDR display) but its and OLED panel. And its an awesome display, how do I know it? I have it on my oneplus since 2 years now.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 22:18   #13125
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't used an iPhone with a Windows PC but I see that Apple offers iCloud for Windows. Other file syncing services such as Dropbox, Google Drive etc are, obviously, available on iOS so you can use those too to transfer files if you so wish.

Quote:
The iPhone 11 Pro starts at a promo price of Rs 79,999 on Flipkart for the 64GB variant. You can get an iPhone 12 Mini (128GB) for Rs 74,900 and an iPhone 12 (128GB) for Rs 84,900 directly from Apple at full price. The entire iPhone 12 lineup has OLED screens and the newer A14 Bionic chip, amongst other improvements. I'd suggest you go for one of them rather than get an iPhone 11 Pro at the current prices if an OLED screen is very important to you. The one thing you will miss out on if you don't go for the Pro model is the telephoto lens.
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed