Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2022, 17:31   #15331
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Quick question.
I use an iPhone 12 Pro Max
I’m on Hutch/ Vodafone / Vi these last 20 years or so.
They have e sim but don’t offer Apple Watch support.
I want to move away now to Airtel or Jio specifically for the e sim and to use my Apple Watch for phone and messages without having to carry my iPhone.
I have an important requirement of International Roaming. And I want the provider who offers the best coverage across India too, in the hills and everywhere.
Which between Airtel and Jio will be better for my needs?
Hello Shankar,

Currently Vi post paid plans supports both iWatch and phone as per https://www.apple.com/in/watch/cellular/

https://www.myvi.in/esim-activation

Airtel uses different band frequency and you may not face much connectivity issues comparatively with other service providers and ESIM (iPhone and iWatch) will work on ONLY Postpaid plan.

Jio ESIM will work on both Pre and Post paid plan (iphone & iWatch)

I would prefer Airtel is best for International Roaming in terms of reaching out Customer support team in case of network and data issues. Please check with service provider for international roaming for iWatch (based on iWatch Cellular Model)
SVMBLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 13:41   #15332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Close all the windows before connecting to carplay, which should sort out the problem.
Did a full reboot at home this morning and drove an hour to work. Phone is still warm and cosy after the commute with just Apple Music and Google Maps running.

Will try updating to 16.1.1 and see.
Old 16th November 2022, 13:53   #15333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Close all the windows before connecting to carplay, which should sort out the problem.
Utterly OT: Was thinking what relation does closing the car windows have to the phone heating up

Just now the bulb went on!!
arvind71181 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 17:55   #15334
BHPian

So my wife has been bitten by the IPhone bug after using Android phones for over a decade. She already has IPad Air 4 and is aware of the Pros and Cons of the iOS ecosystem.

I have been secretly scheming to gift her the latest, greatest IPhone and hence need some pointers.
1 - Since there is significant difference in the price in India vs US/Dubai/Singapore, any problems of getting the phone from abroad?
2 - Any trouble with eSims in India on an imported device?
3 - Apple care is global I believe, so I can buy it here, please confirm.

PS - anyone traveling soon and can carry a phone into India (esp Bangalore) for me, I would thank you for a million years. Please DM.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 18:17   #15335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post

1 - Since there is significant difference in the price in India vs US/Dubai/Singapore, any problems of getting the phone from abroad?
2 - Any trouble with eSims in India on an imported device?
3 - Apple care is global I believe, so I can buy it here, please confirm.

PS - anyone traveling soon and can carry a phone into India (esp Bangalore) for me, I would thank you for a million years. Please DM.
1&2- Not sure about only esim 14 models, but previous phones works just fine with Indian e-sim also.
3- Yes but might be cheaper in US.

Bigger issue is availability even in other countries, especially the Pro models that have a wait period. So plan your purchase ahead.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 18:44   #15336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1&2- Not sure about only esim 14 models, but previous phones works just fine with Indian e-sim also.
3- Yes but might be cheaper in US.

Bigger issue is availability even in other countries, especially the Pro models that have a wait period. So plan your purchase ahead.
I just bought a 14 plus from Singapore, With bill from duty free I don't think it should be a problem. There is a price difference of about 6K cheaper in Singapore but only if you buy from duty free else prices in city stores are same as what we have in India.

Even stores in Singapore don't have pro models in stock , if you are hoping for a pro then you are better off ordering online.
Dieseltuned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 09:13   #15337
BHPian

Is there a easy way to MOVE photos from iPhone to a windows laptop?
I had to clear storage on my sister's iPhone device and found out it is NOT as easy as an android device to move files.

I had to do multilpe iterations of connect/disconnect for the laptop to detect the phone. Opted for 'open the folder to view the files'. There is ONLY one folder 'DCIM'. So, tried the 'Cut and Paste' to move the folders to laptop. This works as 'Copy and Paste'.

I couldn't make anything within 'iTunes'. Is there a simple tool, which detects iPhone and moves the files to laptop?

Please advise.
Old 17th November 2022, 09:42   #15338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Please advise.
Its quite easy actually. If you go ahead and launch the photos app in Windows 11 or 10, the app has an ability to import photos

1. Connect iphone using the cable to usb port
2. Launch photos app on Windows PC
3. On the right upper corner you will see an import button. Click on it and it will ask for which external device from which you would like to import
4. iphone would be listed there. Click on that
5. All phone photos will be displayed in the photos app
6. You have a choice to select all or select new
7. Select and click add - will ask you where to import to. And once you share the path/folder - voila everything is imported

Another option is to get all photos uploaded to Cloud - icloud, Onedrive, Dropbox or Google as per your choice and then map the cloud folder on your laptop. Download and then shift to preferred folder as the case maybe
subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 13:08   #15339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I had to clear storage on my sister's iPhone device and found out it is NOT as easy as an android device to move files.

I had to do multilpe iterations of connect/disconnect for the laptop to detect the phone. Opted for 'open the folder to view the files'. There is ONLY one folder 'DCIM'. So, tried the 'Cut and Paste' to move the folders to laptop. This works as 'Copy and Paste'.

I couldn't make anything within 'iTunes'. Is there a simple tool, which detects iPhone and moves the files to laptop?

Please advise.
Pretty simple.
- Install Google photos on your iPhone and sync it
- Open Google photos on your browser in Windows 10/11
- Download and delete whatever you dont want
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 17:26   #15340
BHPian

Hello everyone,
I am a seafarer and hence sail across the entire globe. A particular difficulty faced during changing of time zones in the iPhone time setting is such that it requires a city to be input for a particular time zone. I would prefer to be able to adjust the clock relative to the UTC time, for example, by inputting UTC-11, so on and so forth. Is there any work around for this? I wish Apple incorporate this setting in their software updates in the near future.
Old 21st November 2022, 18:06   #15341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaboudjan View Post
I wish Apple incorporate this setting in their software updates in the near future.
Automatic time zone detection won't work for you? I thought that would be the most seamless way to manage this need?
Old 21st November 2022, 18:15   #15342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Automatic time zone detection won't work for you? I thought that would be the most seamless way to manage this need?
Auto time zone is linked to a phone signal from a service provider/Wi-Fi. On the high seas no phone signal is available.
Our Wi-Fi is always set to UTC time and hence cannot rely on that.
We adjust our ship’s clocks almost every alternate day when en route between two ports. Hence need to adjust the phone’s time very frequently. The problem mostly arises when we are in a time zone which is in the middle of the ocean, specially in the Pacific Ocean. Android phones have the option to adjust times relative to UTC I think.
Karaboudjan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 20:19   #15343
AZT
BHPian

My iphone currently has my office mail, Skype for business, Teams and a bunch of other security apps installed by the firm. I'll be leaving the firm soon and they will wipe out my phone. When I changed my phone last year, I just did an iphone to iphone transfer before the wipe. This time I'll be keeping the phone so no backup transfer option.

Wanted to ask if I take an icloud subscription and transfer everything there, will a backup restore everything as it was post the wipe. Including the wall paper, all my images, whatsapp etc ?
Old 22nd November 2022, 00:22   #15344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Wanted to ask if I take an icloud subscription and transfer everything there, will a backup restore everything as it was post the wipe. Including the wall paper, all my images, whatsapp etc ?
It will do that, but instead of buying a subscription why don’t you backup everything either to iTunes on a Windows machine or if you have an Apple machine to that at no cost.

Simply connect your phone to the computer and set it up from a backup instead of as a new phone. Everything will be exactly as it was earlier.

Cheers
Old 22nd November 2022, 00:31   #15345
Distinguished - BHPian

What's wrong with Tim Cook?

He is hell-bent on emptying our pockets.

The iPhone Thread-img_1985.jpg

Is there is a price increase in India as well? If yes, how much has it increased?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks