Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 16:19   #1621
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Can;t wait for release of windows 8.1 . Good thing is that they are rolling out this update to all windows 8 devices .

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...re-221004.html

This should give tough fight to androids IMO.
Old 3rd April 2014, 17:19   #1622
BHPian

Here is the Keynote of Day 1

Day 1 Keynote
Old 4th April 2014, 09:51   #1623
BANNED

I am also using a black Nokia Lumia 720 since July 2013. Extremely satisfied with the phone and it sure is a tough phone since it has fallen pretty badly at times with no damage at all.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:52   #1624
Senior - BHPian

I got a Black Lumia 720 last week from FK @ 15800/-. Super vfm phone. First i had sync'd my google and hotmail contacts with it. Yesterday I noticed that google contacts disappeared. I thought it must be a temp glitch. Later i felt its confusing the phone and hence i removed all accounts and added only outlook.com contacts and things were back to normal.

a funny issue came up today. Some of my contacts data has gone missing from the phone but its available when i log onto www.outlook.com using the same live / hotmail id.

What could be the issue? One more issue with my phone is i am unable to set new email alerts. It stays in silent all the time. If i set one,tkne and go,out the settings menu it resets itself to silent.

Regards,
Old 4th April 2014, 15:15   #1625
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
A funny issue came up today. Some of my contacts data has gone missing from the phone but its available when i log onto www.outlook.com using the same live / hotmail id.
What could be the issue? One more issue with my phone is i am unable to set new email alerts. It stays in silent all the time. If i set one,tkne and go,out the settings menu it resets itself to silent.
Regards,
I had this issue with all outlook contacts not showing up in the phone. Don’t remember what exactly I did, but it was something to do with outlook account verification. Once verified, it synced up properly.
I don’t remember the steps followed. Some experts can help probably

I have not faced any issue with email alerts. Mine is Lumia 625.
Old 5th April 2014, 01:19   #1626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I got a Black Lumia 720 last week from FK @ 15800/-. Super vfm phone. First i had sync'd my google and hotmail contacts with it. Yesterday I noticed that google contacts disappeared. I thought it must be a temp glitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I had this issue with all outlook contacts not showing up in the phone.
Dunno about Outlook contacts, but wrt to Google contacts missing over this week, this is what happened all over the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Any of you guys facing the google contacts (sync/missing) issue? Google sync error code would be 80190194.

This seems to be from today across the globe (refer to link 1 and link 2)

Primarily the reason seems to be from Google's side (link)
Thankfully the problem has been resolved as of today.
Old 8th April 2014, 09:08   #1627
Senior - BHPian

The WP 8.1 with Cortana debuts!

Old 13th April 2014, 01:08   #1628
BHPian

Hey guys, about the 8.1 update, rumours are it's going to be released on 14th. So exactly at what time will it be available, because we are 11.5 hrs ahead of US. Say it's released at 10 am there, then it will be available to us at 9:30pm. People are saying it's going 4:14, what do you think?
Old 13th April 2014, 07:13   #1629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Hey guys, about the 8.1 update, rumours are it's going to be released on 14th. So exactly at what time will it be available, because we are 11.5 hrs ahead of US. Say it's released at 10 am there, then it will be available to us at 9:30pm. People are saying it's going 4:14, what do you think?
Practically, it would be 4/15 for us. As you said technically, it would be available from 9.30PM Monday night but with the entire world fighting with each other for bandwidth, we are mostly going to end up on the losing side unless you have some 100 Mbps leased line for broadband.

BTW, unless I'm mistaken, it is the developer preview that gets rolled out tomorrow.
Old 13th April 2014, 11:19   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Practically, it would be 4/15 for us. As you said technically, it would be available from 9.30PM Monday night but with the entire world fighting with each other for bandwidth, we are mostly going to end up on the losing side unless you have some 100 Mbps leased line for broadband.

BTW, unless I'm mistaken, it is the developer preview that gets rolled out tomorrow.
Thanks for clarifying! About receiving the update, it won't be like what you say. We might get it with the rest of the world, because it was the same with Portico. My phone is dev unlocked so I get the update via preview. You can find details here:http://www.wpcentral.com/how-sign-wi...iew-developers
Old 13th April 2014, 11:42   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Thanks for clarifying! About receiving the update, it won't be like what you say. We might get it with the rest of the world, because it was the same with Portico. My phone is dev unlocked so I get the update via preview. You can find details here:http://www.wpcentral.com/how-sign-wi...iew-developers
What I meant was the connection timeouts in the initial hours post launch. Number of parallel downloads that these servers can support are limited (even if they have it hosted in multiple data centres) and the higher speeds and closer proximity to these data centres help folks in Europe and America
get a connection before the connections from Asia. If past is any indication, things get better by next day morning our time but if you try on the night of the launch, you are more likely to get timeouts or broken downloads unless you have a connection that is as good as those in the western world. Even if we are able to have a sustained connection, the time for download can easily go up to 5X or more due to the load on the server side.

Last edited by zenren : 13th April 2014 at 11:46.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:19   #1632
Senior - BHPian

I thought I read somewhere that 8.1 update will not hit Indian shores this year.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:21   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that 8.1 update will not hit Indian shores this year.
Well, whatever you heard from wherever you heard was wrong. 8.1 is a global update and will be available to each region.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:34   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Its an "Over The Air" update. So it might not hit the shores
Old 14th April 2014, 18:07   #1635
Senior - BHPian

Got the 8.1 Developer Preview update. Exploring it out now.

Most Viewed