Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 17:35   #2086
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Hi Guys,

I am in trouble again. So about 5-6 months back my 2012 Macbook pro 15, with Retina Display refused to switch on one fine day. I got really worried and had posted here as well. Thankfully when I took it to the service center, it turned out to be not a big issue. They just opened it, Reset the battery and it started working fine. He did mention that if it happens again, I might need to change the battery.

Well today it happened again. I took it to the service center, but I guess today was not my lucky day. He did try resetting the battery and the laptop would switch on, but every time he put it to Sleep or switched it off, it would not turn back on. He said its a mother board issue and would need a new mother board which will cost 55K. I am not that convinced.

Are there any reliable mac book repair places in Gurgaon/NCR which can check the issue and repair it if need arises?

Thank you.
Old 19th July 2017, 19:55   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
He said its a mother board issue and would need a new mother board which will cost 55K. .
Two months back my 2011 iMac 27" went belly up. Seems the Radeon video card had gone bust. It was a known problem and Apple had given free replacements till March 31, 2017. I had missed the bus by a couple of months. Cost of replacement-44k!

There is a way to repair it at relatively zero cost- and there seems to be a degree of success. You take out the card and put it in an oven for 10 minutes at 200C. The dry solder, if that was what was creating the problem in the first place, melts and reconnects. I got it done and it worked. In fact i am using the Mac now. Side effect? Well the fan now spins at full rpm, irrespective of the heat load. So there is a background noise. Liveable? Yes. Solvable? Yes, again. Free software available to control fan rpm.

Mind you, in my case it was a 'nothing-to-lose' decision. I gave 10k to the gent who opened and refixed the Mac. I understand that the same may be applicable for the CPU mother board also. Log on to Apple/Mac non official help forums and there are threads that deal with such issues.

Take a full back up first, though.

Check these out:
This and this.

At your own risk and appetite.

A second way is to get a replacement from ebay. Only issue is that there could be some risk of a dud part.

Last edited by earthian : 19th July 2017 at 19:59.
Old 19th July 2017, 20:36   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Two months back my 2011 iMac 27" went belly up. Seems the Radeon video card had gone bust. It was a known problem and Apple had given free replacements till March 31, 2017. I had missed the bus by a couple of months. Cost of replacement-44k!

A second way is to get a replacement from ebay. Only issue is that there could be some risk of a dud part.
Interesting!! I am actually, unfortunately, a non DIY guy specially with stuff like Laptops. I might not even have tools to open it.

I have found appleservicecenter.com website. Spoke to the guy, he said he can reliably fix it. Will give it a shot. Worst in any case, I will have to get the mother board replaced.

Thank you for your pointer

Rachit
Old 19th July 2017, 22:19   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Did you call AppleCare? You'd be surprised how often the company can go out of its way to make you happy (but don't expect or feel entitled to anything when you call).
Old 19th July 2017, 23:44   #2090
Senior - BHPian

As long as you have the right tools and patience, you can work on your Mac desktops and laptops easily. There are a lot of guides and How-tos available online. I prefer iFixit. When my 2011 21.5-inch iMac started getting slow, I plonked in a 256 GB SSD and combined it with the existing 512 GB hard-disk to make a custom Fusion Drive. As long as you are confident of not losing screws around, opening up the Apple devices are easy. The newer ones come with soldered RAM, so they cant be upgraded, but for storage memories, CPU and even Graphics Cards there is some solution or the other.

Just keep a couple of hours on a Sunday and do your research well and order any parts / tools if required. I've also helped a friend totally trick out his MD 101 Laptop - the basic macBook Pro with more Ram, SSD drive, and an unlocked processor that has higher max frequency that the one that came built-in.
Old 20th July 2017, 04:42   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Did you call AppleCare? You'd be surprised how often the company can go out of its way to make you happy (but don't expect or feel entitled to anything when you call).
I did. And the agent did try his best to help. Later, I wrote to Tim Cook and got a call within 24 hours from someone in customer services based out of Ireland. He asked me to do a diagnostics at the nearest service center (which i did), and he spoke to the technician at the local Apple center there, and said he would study and revert within 6 days. He did revert before the 6 days were up and said that he could do nothing save recommend that i replace the part at 44k.

Guess some animals are more equal than others. Or to be charitable they just got tired replacing this and had to draw a line somewhere.

But the point of interest is:
  • It was known that the Radeon card failed in 27" Macs of 2011-12 vintage.
  • An advisory had been sent to replace this free
  • This carried on till March 31, 2017

Under the circumstances, would it not have been decent of them to ask the owners to ensure back up and get the part replaced? I had plenty of anxious moments when this happened. ( since i had no back up then)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
As long as you have the right tools and patience, you can work on your Mac desktops and laptops easily.
Some skill is also required as i observed when my iMac was getting fixed. There are hazaar small odds and ends which have to be tucked just right, small connections where nimble fingers are required, and above all a work flow pattern.
Quote:
I plonked in a 256 GB SSD and combined it with the existing 512 GB hard-disk to make a custom Fusion Drive.
You would have had to remove something to make space for the SSD. The DVD/CD drive?

Last edited by Eddy : 20th July 2017 at 08:13. Reason: Merged
Old 20th July 2017, 09:33   #2092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some skill is also required as i observed when my iMac was getting fixed.
Yes, but even to me this was very new. Took it slowly the first time and it went through well.

Quote:
You would have had to remove something to make space for the SSD. The DVD/CD drive?
No, I've attached it to the back of the body behind the DVD drive using double sided tape. This is how it is attached in 2011 iMacs with SSD ordered from factory. The DVD drive port is SATA 2 hence attaching SSD there didn't make sense (in terms of Read/Write speed) and Apple had left a SATA 3 port at the back of the motherboard. A custom power cable and a 90-degree SATA cable was required. I was thinking of just replacing the HDD with SSD, but that would have caused the fans to over-spin as the stock HDDs have temperature sensor built in.
Old 20th July 2017, 18:49   #2093
BHPian

Hii fellow Mac users. Its now been more than 2 months on my Macbook Pro and im just loving it, haven't looked back once and other than the 15.6 "screen on my Windows laptop i'm really not missing anything! (well yes the tiny 128 GB SSD takes time getting used to but nothing else really)
FYI the latest update for Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 is available for download!
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20170720-18.48.46.png  

Old 20th July 2017, 19:03   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hii fellow Mac users. Its now been more than 2 months on my Macbook Pro and im just loving it, haven't looked back once and other than the 15.6 "screen on my Windows laptop i'm really not missing anything! (well yes the tiny 128 GB SSD takes time getting used to but nothing else really)
FYI the latest update for Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 is available for download!
Cheers!
Thanks Vinitbhavi, that was a good update for Mac users. I have never seen an in-built alert in the system. I will download it right now after going through the details of this version.
And yes indeed Mac experience is really pleasant. I personally do not feel like going back to Windows (no offence to anyone ).
Regards
Sravan
Old 21st July 2017, 10:02   #2095
BANNED

I noob question again. Trying to look for the safe version of Firefox, I messed up my install. Killed it. So I downloaded it again. Ywo things.

1. I am seeing some thing like safe-browser (or whatever) in the Firefox window. What is that and how do I kill it. I do not want it.

2. Firefox installs but cannot be moved to the Launchpad as a stand alone app. I remember facing something similar earlier also. I am unable to get it to Install in Applications.
Old 21st July 2017, 13:43   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchettry View Post
Thanks Vinitbhavi, that was a good update for Mac users. I have never seen an in-built alert in the system. I will download it right now after going through the details of this version.
And yes indeed Mac experience is really pleasant. I personally do not feel like going back to Windows (no offence to anyone ).
Regards
Sravan
Thanks man! whatever i can do to help fellow BHPians. Yeah there isnt any alert system. I dont think anyone else will take an offence here seeing the group is "(team-bhpians on a Mac)"
Also whats with the name High Sierra for the latest OS update they should have come up with something better
Old 21st July 2017, 14:05   #2097
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I noob question again. Trying to look for the safe version of Firefox, I messed up my install. Killed it. So I downloaded it again. Two things.

1. I am seeing some thing like safe-browser (or whatever) in the Firefox window. What is that and how do I kill it. I do not want it.

2. Firefox installs but cannot be moved to the Launchpad as a stand alone app. I remember facing something similar earlier also. I am unable to get it to Install in Applications.
Sorted out. Now I have (re)learnt how to install a new App.

Also, found one Malware, so got hold of MalwareByte Anti Malware Free and cleaned it. I had used it in the past on my PC so know it is good.Now thinks are kosher again.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:07   #2098
Senior - BHPian

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Hi All,

I have a 2015 MacBook AIR. I need to go for a training next week and one of the pre requisite for the training is a laptop / mac with a LAN port.

I don't have any other laptop and I was looking at the USB to Lan adapter for the mac. Has anyone in here ever used one? I haven't read very good things about it so not sure weather to get one and rely on it or borrow a friends laptop for the training.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502573843.904494.jpg

Or
Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Attachment 1666108

Please advise.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 13th August 2017 at 03:11.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:12   #2099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi All,

Please advise.

Regards,
In case this is just a one time affair and you know the other participants, why don't you ask a friend to share the WiFi from their laptop (or) use your mobile phone as a hotspot.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:34   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
In case this is just a one time affair and you know the other participants, why don't you ask a friend to share the WiFi from their laptop (or) use your mobile phone as a hotspot.

Hi,

The thing is it is a networking based training / seminar where by we have to use our laptops to connect to switches / IP Cameras etc for some tests and configurations. So a LAN port is mandatory.

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks