Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 16:25   #2281
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Fillmore; Some software like Video Downloadhelper can download stuff in Firefox and not in Chrome.
I have never used it , but I see that Chrome has an extension for it .
probably you can give it a shot
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ijcfjliaokphfk
Old 6th August 2018, 16:40   #2282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
My Mac is acting up. The mouse and key board freeze when the mac is woken up and at times they unfreeze and at times i have to resort to rebooting. This happens every time and i am quite fed up with it. Bought this imac 27" just a year back.

The second issue is ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED that happens like clock work when the imac is woken up and i try to use google chrome.
This is a useful link that deals with the internet issue, do try the steps.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...s-mac-3605043/

Are both the symptoms related, is the machine hanging due to loss in internet connectivity? is there an option to connect using the LAN and test it?
Old 4th September 2018, 17:21   #2283
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Folks!

I have a MacBook Pro - Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014 model, and the battery service sign has popped up. The battery seems toast as it does not retain even an iota of charge without the charger.

What would it cost me to replace the battery? And where do I go so I don't get ripped off? Which battery model should I look for? And what is it going to cost me?
Old 4th September 2018, 18:04   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Are both the symptoms related, is the machine hanging due to loss in internet connectivity? is there an option to connect using the LAN and test it?
Thanks for your suggestion.
Had to send the machine to an Apple service center. Bluetooth card was replaced and the OS was reinstalled. Was under warranty and hence didn't cost me anything.
Old 5th September 2018, 12:33   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hello Folks!

I have a MacBook Pro - Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014 model, and the battery service sign has popped up. The battery seems toast as it does not retain even an iota of charge without the charger.

What would it cost me to replace the battery? And where do I go so I don't get ripped off? Which battery model should I look for? And what is it going to cost me?
iRepair in Koramangala are good; unless you wish to go the OEM route and go to Ample Technologies/Imagine Store.

Re. cost - sorry, unable to help you there.

Cheers
Old 5th September 2018, 12:35   #2286
BHPian

Since last few weeks, I facing a strange problem. While using Gmail in Safari the downloading of attachments takes a long time and sometimes I have to try multiple times to get it working.

Is anyone facing similar issue? And any solution on this? All updates are regularly installed on time since the purchase.
Old 6th September 2018, 11:12   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Since last few weeks, I facing a strange problem. While using Gmail in Safari the downloading of attachments takes a long time and sometimes I have to try multiple times to get it working.

Is anyone facing similar issue? And any solution on this? All updates are regularly installed on time since the purchase.
OK, obvious questions first:

1. Did you try using some other browser and compare the performance?

2. Did you try on some other OS other than macOS?

3. Did you try other email services to see if the problem is common (if you have other accounts, that is.)

4. Did you try on any other divide you may have?

Cheers
Old 6th September 2018, 11:28   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
OK, obvious questions first:

1. Did you try using some other browser and compare the performance?
Yes, tried on Chrome and it works well.

Quote:
2. Did you try on some other OS other than macOS?
Yes, did that too. Works without issues on my Dell workstation (Chrome).

Quote:
3. Did you try other email services to see if the problem is common (if you have other accounts, that is.)
I don't use any other email service.

Quote:
4. Did you try on any other divide you may have?

Cheers
I use only Mac and cell phone.

Anyhow, I guess will have to just live with this. I may write to Apple with video shot of the issue and see if they respond.
Old 6th September 2018, 12:11   #2289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

I was facing a similar issues on downloading files from Google Drive. It used to take ages and at times had a timeout as well. The solution to this is easy, but first check if using gmail in incognito mode solves it. If it does, all you need to do is close the Safari app, restart your computer (uncheck Reopen windows option), open Safari and delete cookies. In my case my device never had a restart in over 3 months ( yes I just shut the lid when done) which seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 6th September 2018, 12:46   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
restart your computer
You are suggesting common Windows OS solution on a Mac.
Old 7th September 2018, 09:26   #2291
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, did that too. Works without issues on my Dell workstation (Chrome).

I don't use any other email service.

Anyhow, I guess will have to just live with this. I may write to Apple with video shot of the issue and see if they respond.
I was about to suggest clearing any cookies and history related to Google on Safari, but Blackwasp already did that

From your responses, the logical conclusion is that Safari is misbehaving. Therefore Blackwasp's suggestion sounds to be the most logical one to try.

Good luck and keep us posted here of the results.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Well, yeah. Disappointing though it sounds, sometimes it works

Last edited by tilt : 7th September 2018 at 09:28. Reason: added quote from Sukiwa and my response.
Old 7th September 2018, 09:28   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Guys, planning to update my iMac late 2015 5k internal hdd to Pcie ssd and CPU to Core i7 6700k. Has anyone done it by themselves? How hard is it? I have looked at the videos and with right tools it does not look too difficult but I want to know the first personal perspective. Thanks.
Old 7th September 2018, 09:41   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
I was facing a similar issues on downloading files from Google Drive. It used to take ages and at times had a timeout as well. The solution to this is easy, but first check if using gmail in incognito mode solves it.
Thanks, blackwasp. It worked! At least since few hours I am not facing the issue. I hope it stays that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

One of the main reason to switch to Mac was that but it seems no one can escape CATIA (Close and try it again).
Old 7th September 2018, 09:52   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Guys, planning to update my iMac late 2015 5k internal hdd to Pcie ssd and CPU to Core i7 6700k. Has anyone done it by themselves? How hard is it? I have looked at the videos and with right tools it does not look too difficult but I want to know the first personal perspective. Thanks.
Have done the surgery on a 2011 iMac. Not just a swapping of disk, but added extra ssd to a Sata port on the backside of motherboard and made a diy fusion drive of the ssd and existing hdd. Solid since the last couple years (or more) now. You will need one more person and proper tools. Follow the iFixit guide to a Tee and it will work 100%. Just don't attempt to hurry up things and avoid Jugaad method for anything. It took me a good 4-5 hrs to get it done. Not sure if 2015 iMac has a glued screen or uses magnets like I had on my 2011 iMac.

Quote:
Thanks, blackwasp. It worked! At least since few hours I am not facing the issue. I hope it stays that way.
Excellent! Its more to do with how Safari handles cookie data and disallows (my assumption) over a period of time the website to track you. This problem is usually faced by using google sites mainly (google search, gmail, youtube) and others like Facebook, Yahoo etc. which use a ton of cookies. Switching to DuckDuckGo as my search engine has solved / mitigated this issue.
Old 7th September 2018, 10:12   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have done the surgery on a 2011 iMac. Not just a swapping of disk, but added extra ssd to a Sata port on the backside of motherboard and made a diy fusion drive of the ssd and existing hdd. Solid since the last couple years (or more) now. You will need one more person and proper tools. Follow the iFixit guide to a Tee and it will work 100%. Just don't attempt to hurry up things and avoid Jugaad method for anything. It took me a good 4-5 hrs to get it done. Not sure if 2015 iMac has a glued screen or uses magnets like I had on my 2011 iMac.
I wish it had magnets but its glued! :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks