Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 19:44   #331
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Given that the price differences between the 2 is just Rs 250/- I would say go for RT-N13U.

What RT-N13U has over WL-330N is
- USB can double as ftp storage device
- USB can double as Print server

With WL-330N the USB can be used only for a 3G dongle.

However if your prime purpose is only to use 3G, you wont benefit since it has just 1 USB port.

-Fillmore
Old 27th March 2012, 09:54   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Are you sure your ADSL2+Modem/Router can take RJ45 cable as input? For a modem the input is normally RJ25 (not sure of the number but it smaller than RJ45) to which you can use RJ45 as output for your computer (in wired mode) connected using ethernet cable.

In your new connection you would need only a router as the modem functions would be done by FTTB box. Technically, yours in not FTTH but FTTB (Fiber to the Building ) as the cable does not end in your house but short of it.
Yes, that is the part I am unsure about. The current modem takes in the DSL (internet) input through the RJ25, and has 4 LAN ports, so I'm unsure if the device can take the RJ45 internet input (ACT) and convert that to wifi.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-photo_3.jpg  

Last edited by Recompose : 27th March 2012 at 10:04. Reason: Uploaded image
Old 27th March 2012, 11:04   #333
Senior - BHPian

The port with the DSL line connected is an RJ11 port and not RJ25. LAN ports are RJ45.
Old 27th March 2012, 13:56   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

To be a little pedantic, Ethernet ports are RJ45. (At least ethernet, as we mostly know it these days). Ethernet does not necessarily mean LAN, and LAN does not necessarily mean Ethernet/cabled. The whole network inside your house, whether it is wired, wifi, or whatever, is your Local Area Network.

ADSL is a technology which works over copper telephone lines. Thus, the "DSL" port on your router is an ordinary telephone socket. What you are getting from ACT is probably not "DSL" and you will have to ask them what kind of router or modem you require
Old 27th March 2012, 13:59   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
To be a little pedantic, Ethernet ports are RJ45. (At least ethernet, as we mostly know it these days). Ethernet does not necessarily mean LAN, and LAN does not necessarily mean Ethernet/cabled. The whole network inside your house, whether it is wired, wifi, or whatever, is your Local Area Network.
I knew somebody was going to say something about my post. By the time I realized my mistake, the edit time had lapsed.
Old 27th March 2012, 14:32   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
... I'm unsure if the device can take the RJ45 internet input (ACT) and convert that to wifi.
It definitely will - no worries. Even the earlier settings will work - DHCP, DNS etc. The router will figure out that the Internet path is through the port on which ACT is connected. The ACT installers will know about it.

Some access routers, like a few Linksys models, have a separate RJ45 port (usually marked 'Internet') to handle such cases, apart from the regular LAN ports.
Old 27th March 2012, 15:45   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure about all that.

I was going to say... if it is delivered by ethernet, you could just plug the ethernet into one of the RJ45 ports. But then, you must take your network configuration according to the supplier: you no longer have your own LAN: you are part of theirs. This might work, but the lack of control and security would be unacceptable to me.

It may be that more up-to-date routers are more capable. My 5-yr-old D-Link just sees its 4 ports as one LAN (and I have access to the outside world via one of them, but then the modem is doing the routing; the D-Link is just acting as a hub and wireless access point).

Quote:
Some access routers, like a few Linksys models, have a separate RJ45 port (usually marked 'Internet') to handle such cases, apart from the regular LAN ports.
So, it would be doing what a router does: routing between networks, and it should be doing NAT, firewall, etc, I guess?
Quote:
I knew somebody was going to say something about my post.
There's always a pedant about when you don't want one!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th March 2012 at 15:49.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:53   #338
Senior - BHPian

I got a Belkin N600DB which supports DLNA. This allows me to connect a hard drive to the Belkin USB port and access data (video, audio and photos) off it over the network. There is a problem though. Content over 2gb does not list up. I updated the firmware and it did not help.

Belkin has offered a replacement. I do not see how this will help as the replacement will be the same. Any thoughts on this?
Old 31st March 2012, 11:46   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
There is a problem though. Content over 2gb does not list up.
Did you mean files over size 2GB each or total content shown over 2GB in total size?

I was planning to purchase the N600. Will review the decision post your comments on latest findings.

Thanks.
Soumit
Old 31st March 2012, 13:28   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle_wild View Post
Did you mean files over size 2GB each or total content shown over 2GB in total size?
File size over 2gb each.

I managed to speak to a Belkin engineer who has advised me to try something apart from the usual firmware update. Will update after attempting this. I used a 1 terabyte hard drive. I have been asked to try the same with a smaller capacity hard drive like a 500 gigabyte.
Old 31st March 2012, 21:46   #341
BHPian

For those of you who are planning to replace their old DSL modems, I would recommend the D-Link N300 Modem Router, Mod 2750U.

This Modem Router is a breeze to set up, just run the CD and you are ready to go in a couple of minutes, it costs just Rs 2699 at Hypercity where I bought it from but you will get it cheaper at FlipKart.

The Modem Router also has a USB post where you can plug in your external HDD or a memory stick or a printer to share over your home network.
Attached Images

Old 4th April 2012, 09:54   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle_wild View Post
I was planning to purchase the N600.
I tried what the Belkin engineer asked me to do and that is, used a smaller capacity hard drive. I tried a usb stick and content over 2 gigabyte was not visible. There is no solution for this. They do not have a firmware to fix this too.

Just so you know, this Belkin is not DLNA certified which probably explains one of the reasons of the limitation.

If this is not a concern for you, you can buy it. Apart from this issue, it works great.
Old 4th April 2012, 15:12   #343
BHPian

buy a router which accepts open source firmware - tomato / dd wrt
Old 7th April 2012, 00:42   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was going to say... if it is delivered by ethernet, you could just plug the ethernet into one of the RJ45 ports. But then, you must take your network configuration according to the supplier: you no longer have your own LAN: you are part of theirs. This might work, but the lack of control and security would be unacceptable to me.

It may be that more up-to-date routers are more capable. My 5-yr-old D-Link just sees its 4 ports as one LAN (and I have access to the outside world via one of them, but then the modem is doing the routing; the D-Link is just acting as a hub and wireless access point).
This certainly is good info for me to know. I have an Airtel broadband connection, and I recently switched to enabling a wi-fi. The airtel technician mentioned that if I opted for their wi-fi modem, that would constrain access only to 2 devices. This was not fine with me owing to the growing number of iPhones and iPads in the house.

I hooked up a spare unbranded assembled wi-fi router to the modem (the incoming line is not an RJ45, but the type that we find coming into the landlines) that was lying around in my brother's room but surprised to find that although it's just a 2BHK house with about 1350sqft, the signal is really weak if I move away from the living room.

But, before I take the plunge and invest in a good router with dual-band, 802.11N, WPA2, IPV6 and USB ports; can you help me understand whether a router like a Linksys E4200 or Netgear WDNR4500 will help me solve my problem? I can't really find a wi-fi modem from one of these reputed brands? Is it because it's not considered secure enough? Help me understand this please.
Old 7th April 2012, 02:52   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

We had just a two-PC LAN: one desktop and a laptop. Now both my wife and I have phones with wifi. I can see how the number of devices on a LAN could escalate until a family house contained as more networked devices than some offices!

I haven't been shopping for a device for a few years, so really can't comment on the current market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek
buy a router which accepts open source firmware - tomato / dd wrt
Yes, next time I'd do that. It's not relevant if one is not prepared to fiddle, or not prepared to risk it.

Wait...
Quote:
I have an Airtel broadband connection, and I recently switched to enabling a wi-fi.
You switched what to enable wifi? You have an Airtel modem/wifi-router?

Or you just have an Airtel modem?

I have an airtel modem. I just connect the RJ45 network (LAN) cable to one of the LAN ports on my D-Link wifi-router. There is no need to have a combined modem/router.

(Pronounced "r-oo-ter," not "r-out-er." I'm British )

You can connect the modem to the router WAN port --- but the setup is a heap more complex and requires thinking through having two LANS!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th April 2012 at 02:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks