Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 18:41   #3961
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Congratulations drmohitg

I got a chance to hold and test Galaxy S2, it feels superb and very light weight. I am sure coming from Nokia 6500 it must be super light for you. Enjoy with your S2.
You bet. It feels super light. The best parts of the phone are ( till now ofcourse):

1. The Screen- its just so so gorgeous.
2. The camera- I have never seen a more better camera.
3. The back cover finish- Its just changed the looks of the phone so drastically. The galaxy S looked a little downmarket/ glossy. But this new texture on the S2 makes it feel supreme.

More about it later. busy right now.
Old 15th June 2011, 18:42   #3962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Has anyone ever bought anything from Saholic ? A quick search for reviews doesnt reveal much. The HTC Desire is just 15k there!
Also, where is the defy being sold for 13.8 k?

Letsbuy with icicilb code
Old 15th June 2011, 19:06   #3963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Has anyone ever bought anything from Saholic ? A quick search for reviews doesnt reveal much. The HTC Desire is just 15k there!
Also, where is the defy being sold for 13.8 k?
Saholic is the new online venture of Spice telecom. should be ok.

Defy is on lets buy ( use coupons to get it at 13.8 K )

@indian21r - am in a similar search mode.( also tracking spice mi 410 in addition to the 4 mentioned by you )

Last edited by w 12 : 15th June 2011 at 19:13.
Old 15th June 2011, 21:52   #3964
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys I just downloaded angry birds on my S2. Have a small doubt. There are constant adds that keep showing while i am playing the game. Now I remember reading somewhere that it will cost me as the phone keeps downloading data. Is there any way to stop these adds? Plz enlighten. I am using a smartphone/Android for the first time so please excuse any stupid queries LOL.
Old 15th June 2011, 22:14   #3965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is there any way to stop these adds? Plz enlighten.
I use an app namely AdFree to block the ads. But, you need to root your phone to make it working. I recommend you NOT to root your relatively new phone as it might void the warranty.

Do wait for phamilyman's reply.

Last edited by Klub Class : 15th June 2011 at 22:16.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 22:16   #3966
Senior - BHPian

Alternatively you can disable data when you don't want it, I use something called 'Quick setting', it allows me to toggle various services.
Old 15th June 2011, 22:24   #3967
Ali
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have been noticing an increased battery drain in my Desire SLCD after installing CM7. This is in contrary to the popular opinion that CM7 is very kind on your battery. I have been using the phone just the same way, and was trying to figure out what is causing the increased drain.

From battery usage, I see that almost 50% of the battery is eaten up by display and rest all are not so significant. Previously with HTC ROM, I have never seen such a huge percentage for display alone. I am beginning to doubt whether the battery usage info displayed by CM7 is true.

Display - 48%
Cell standby - 14%
Voice calls - 11%
Phone Idle - 9%
Android system - 5%
Maps - 4%
WiFi - 3%
Dolphin - 2%
Android OS - 2%

The phone is unplugged for 13 hours, with 8 hours in flight mode (night time) and rest normal usage with very few calls. Now battery is 60%. With HTC ROM it would have been about 70 to 75% at this stage.

Anyone using CM7 here experience the same thing?

Which build of CM7 are you using? These are nightly builds and are experimental. CM7 build 12 seems to be stable enough.Normally CM7 modifies your boot screen which is dangerous..it can brick your phone. Try Cognition 4.5.3 it is pretty stable. But is has the same layout as the normal android firmware, with little modifications.

If you will be flashing for CM7 to any other rom, please go stock with odin first and back up before you do.

Quote:
Hey guys I just downloaded angry birds on my S2. Have a small doubt. There are constant adds that keep showing while i am playing the game. Now I remember reading somewhere that it will cost me as the phone keeps downloading data. Is there any way to stop these adds? Plz enlighten. I am using a smartphone/Android for the first time so please excuse any stupid queries LOL.

You can go to settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks..uncheck the option. use packet data.this will switch off the gprs. you can turn it on when needed..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th June 2011 at 21:09. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 22:57   #3968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Alternatively you can disable data when you don't want it, I use something called 'Quick setting', it allows me to toggle various services.
Yes "Quick settings" is a very good app. Among the first apps that I installed and it's still there. Very handy to change the profile, control the ringer volume, switch on/off data, etc.
A must.
Old 15th June 2011, 23:00   #3969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need to root your phone or use the quick settings or equivalent app (i'm not conversant with what Touchwiz ships by default). But the latter option means other data services will be blocked as well (email et al). and its a bit clumsy if you know what I mean - its like carpet bombing.

I don't think rooting will void warranty (provided you know how to unroot it as well!). Once you've done it, there are 2-3 different approaches:
a. AdFree - It tries to block particular ad servers via the hosts file. Ideal for quadrant etc applications which need internet access to display results etc.
b. APNDroid - It shuts down data overall as required. or the quick settings app as discussed. Pity it cannot be made into widgets.
c. Droidwall - It is a firewall and helps by preventing certain applications from accessing the internet. Just like the angry birds games etc. Ideal for games like angry birds which dont need to connect to the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I use an app namely AdFree to block the ads. But, you need to root your phone to make it working. I recommend you NOT to root your relatively new phone as it might void the warranty.

Danke. AdFree it is.

Last edited by phamilyman : 15th June 2011 at 23:09.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 23:06   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Saholic is the new online venture of Spice telecom. should be ok.

Defy is on lets buy ( use coupons to get it at 13.8 K )

@indian21r - am in a similar search mode.( also tracking spice mi 410 in addition to the 4 mentioned by you )
The deals are looking exciting but for small pieces missing. I am also looking for phones now with HDMI port. May go for the latest phones.

Best Regards
Rahul
Old 15th June 2011, 23:29   #3971
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks everyone. Well I am still trying to figure out basics like how to unlock the screen and outt he phone on silent and stuff ( just to give you an idea of a newbie's struggle with android ). I am not going anywhere near that rooting business coz I have no expertise in it. Plus I will probably be disowned by my family if I manage to spoil a new phone.

For now I disabled the data connection option. I think its working.

Also guys I am planning to take that 98Rs for 2gb data plan since the 3g plans are too costly right now. So once I take this plan all my data downloading will be at 2g speeds in accordance with the plan right until the data limit of 2GB is reached? Or do I need to disable something somewhere to prevent airtel from charging me anything extra? I know its again a very stupid question but I lost some 60 Rs today in a matter of minutes while checking out the phones browsing capabilities.
Old 15th June 2011, 23:34   #3972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I screwed up my first installation of CM7 after installing Adfree. It suggested a reboot to clear the DNS cache and I did that. After which that particular installation of CM7 never came alive and it boot looped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Which build of CM7 are you using? These are nightly builds and are experimental. CM7 build 12 seems to be stable enough.Normally CM7 modifies your boot screen which is dangerous..it can brick your phone. Try Cognition 4.5.3 it is pretty stable. But is has the same layout as the normal android firmware, with little modifications.
If you will be flashing for CM7 to any other rom, please go stock with odin first and back up before you do.
I am using the latest stable mod 7.0.3, which is of June 5th. The boot screen is still HTC in white background, after a while, CM7 animation starts. Never heard of CM7 modifying the boot screen in a dangerous way. Please share any link detailing this issue? I know about the nightly builds and I don't dare to install that. Which one is build 12? Please give a link? I don't see any such numbering for builds in the cyanogenmod site.

If I decide to install any other ROM, I just need to run CWM recovery that I have, backup and do a full reset and wipe Dalvik cache and go ahead with flashing right? Why do I need to go stock? Didn't get the role of Odin here.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th June 2011 at 23:47.
Old 15th June 2011, 23:54   #3973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or do I need to disable something somewhere to prevent airtel from charging me anything extra?
The Android syncs with Gmail, Facebook etc accounts every now and then. This is the reason why you ended up losing Rs.60

I highly recommend you to install Juice Defender. It helps to restrict the usage of Wi-Fi, 3G, GPRS, EDGE etc when you turn off the screen(ie, locking the screen) and in turn help you save a good amount of money.

Alternatively, you can turn off the 'data access over mobile network'

Settings --> Wireless & Networks --> Mobile networks --> Uncheck Data enabled

I hope this helps.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 23:57   #3974
Senior - BHPian

I have a very basic Question, Can I root my phone without an intention to install a custom rom? I know people may ask why rot when you dont want to install custom rom, well I have been reading about these apps which only work if your phone is rooted, specially the screen shot one.

So can I root my HTC phone & retain the overall functionality of the phone?
Old 16th June 2011, 00:10   #3975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have a very basic Question, Can I root my phone without an intention to install a custom rom? I know people may ask why rot when you dont want to install custom rom, well I have been reading about these apps which only work if your phone is rooted, specially the screen shot one.

So can I root my HTC phone & retain the overall functionality of the phone?
Yes, you can. I asked similar question couple of days back. Even I had this doubt whether the current OS and settings will be preserved. Yes they will, and you will get root access as well.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks