Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2011, 10:41   #4396
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Also, I could never turn off the vibration completely (even after fiddling with all possible settings). e.g. it bugs me no end when the haptic feedback jars me every time I unlock the screen!
I have a p500 and since I am on custom rom cm7 now, I don't remember the exact setting I did. But I can guarantee that I was able to disable it completely. You need to try harder :-)
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:21   #4397
BHPian

Guys! I am currently using an Xperia X10 mini pro and am planning to upgrade.
Please suggest me a good android at under 20K.

My requirements in the order of priority:
1. Good camera (MP doesn't matter. auto focus is a must)
2. Sound quality (should be same or better than my X10 mini pro)
3. GPS
I would be happier if i can get anything with a slide out qwerty keypad.

Get your suggestions coming!

Last edited by Auto freak : 2nd July 2011 at 13:23.
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:41   #4398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Umm, excuse me. NVidia has been far better /longer in making chips than Sammy. Tegra is the reference SoC for Honeycomb. Clearly you've been misinformed. Its exynos that's there for the low cost.

Uh Oh Phamily man, I suggest you read this,
"Samsung's own Exynos 4210 SoC was previously codenamed Orion[21] and was the source of much speculation concerning a dual-core Samsung owned successor to the previous Hummingbird powered single-core of the Samsung Galaxy S. The Exynos 4210 uses ARM's Mali-400 MP for its GPU[2] which is a change from continuing to use PowerVR's GPU which was featured in the previous Samsung Galaxy S.
The Exynos 4210, unlike Tegra 2, features support for ARM's SIMD engine (Media Processing Engine, a.k.a NEON instructions) and this may have a significant performance advantage in some cases over Tegra 2 in critical performance situations such as accelerated decoding for multiple multimedia codecs and formats (e.g., On2's VP6/7/8 or Real formats).[22][23][24]"

Source Samsung Galaxy S II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd July 2011 at 17:25. Reason: fixed quotes for better readability
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:50   #4399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
1520 mAH is not "puny" by any standards! Out of the box, only Galaxy S2 (1650) and Atrix (1900) give more! And its not just about mAH. Theres a lot of SW and HW optimizations for battery juice in the device.

Sensation battery is damn decent for tasks like browsing, reading, (even playing simple games like Angry Birds etc). It depletes pretty fast if you use camera (mainly if you shoot videos), or play graphics intensive games.

Heres pic of my typical usage for last time. You can see it would have lasted me 2 days! Thats good enough for a 4.3 inch device!!!
Which is why i said relatively puny. Its comparable to the single core phones but compared to most other dual core phones it is on the lower side.

From the battery life tests in the review you can see that the The Sensation somehow performs better in the 3G web browsing test but falls far behind the Atrix in the other two tests. The Atrix manages almost double the battery life in the 3G Talk time and Wifi web browsing test. And the battery is only about 25% bigger. Also note that the Atrix is still running Froyo, battery life should improve with Gingerbread.

Quote:
Umm, excuse me. NVidia has been far better /longer in making chips than Sammy. Tegra is the reference SoC for Honeycomb. Clearly you've been misinformed. Its exynos that's there for the low cost.
In terms of graphics chips yes, but in terms of SoC's Nvidia is the newest player on the market, and its just their second ever SoC. Samsung has been making SoC's for far longer. But that aside, Nvidia's execution with Tegra 2 was good and they were able to release about a quarter ahead of their competitors. This was partly the reason why they were chosen as the reference SoC for Honeycomb.

Anyway the Exynos SoC by Samsung is more advanced than Tegra 2 and its performance is better as well, it is in fact Tegra 2 which is the low cost option. Exynos is in short supply and thats why they have resorted to Tegra 2 in the S II for some markets.
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:34   #4400
BHPian

got my defy today, unboxed & charging for the recommended 3 hours.

Month of manufacture is JUN 11 on the box, but its on a white paper stuck on the box & looks out of sync with the rest of the box.

Will check today evening to find out if it is red or green lens.

Guys let me know of any good accessory shop in anna nagar, need to buy:

1) Screen guard (it might be unnecessary on a gorilla glass, but i have heard of scratches happening on defy)
2) Pouch(I am inclined towards a blackberry pouch, but will it fit in.)
3) i suppose OS is installed in default memory card, what happens when i slot in a 16g memory card- noob question, kindly excuse.
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:51   #4401
Senior - BHPian

Just flashed Oxygen 2.1.4 which is Gingerbread. I should say I am disappointed with it within the first few minutes of usage. The UI is much more smooth and flowing in CM7. My phone managed to give a quadrant score of 1240 with CM7 whereas Oxygen gives only 1115 with CPU at the max frequency of 1113 Mhz. Out you go Oxygen.

CM7 truly rocks. Anyone contemplating on AOSP roms and confused between these, blindly select CM.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd July 2011 at 15:53.
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:02   #4402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Does anyone know how to turn off vibration for notification when in call ? my nexus s vibrates in my ear if i get a message while on a call
Install CM7. Its the rightmost toggle in the notification bar. Or get quick settings!

Quote:
Also, I could never turn off the vibration completely (even after fiddling with all possible settings). e.g. it bugs me no end when the haptic feedback jars me every time I unlock the screen!
Quick settings and settings under CM7. The only setting which one cannot change is the bootup vibration for CM7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Guys! I am currently using an Xperia X10 mini pro and am planning to upgrade.
Please suggest me a good android at under 20K.

My requirements in the order of priority:
1. Good camera (MP doesn't matter. auto focus is a must)
2. Sound quality (should be same or better than my X10 mini pro)
3. GPS
I would be happier if i can get anything with a slide out qwerty keypad.

Get your suggestions coming!
Desire Z - then OC it. Sound quality i dont know but it has a keypad. Android has a severe dearth of qwerty phones :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Uh Oh Phamily man, I suggest you read this,
"Samsung's own Exynos 4210 SoC was previously codenamed Orion[21] and was the source of much speculation concerning a dual-core Samsung owned successor to the previous Hummingbird powered single-core of the Samsung Galaxy S. The Exynos 4210 uses ARM's Mali-400 MP for its GPU[2] which is a change from continuing to use PowerVR's GPU which was featured in the previous Samsung Galaxy S.
The Exynos 4210, unlike Tegra 2, features support for ARM's SIMD engine (Media Processing Engine, a.k.a NEON instructions) and this may have a significant performance advantage in some cases over Tegra 2 in critical performance situations such as accelerated decoding for multiple multimedia codecs and formats (e.g., On2's VP6/7/8 or Real formats).
Yes, but I was basing on reports like Samsung Galaxy SII (S2): Exynos 4210 VS Tegra 2 – Which Version Will Be Better | Inspired Geek - its not that cutrate a processor that warrants the tone of the original quote which i replied to. Do keep in mind that Tegra2's been around almost a year before Exynos - which is an eon in this market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
In terms of graphics chips yes, but in terms of SoC's Nvidia is the newest player on the market, and its just their second ever SoC. Samsung has been making SoC's for far longer. But that aside, Nvidia's execution with Tegra 2 was good and they were able to release about a quarter ahead of their competitors. This was partly the reason why they were chosen as the reference SoC for Honeycomb.

Anyway the Exynos SoC by Samsung is more advanced than Tegra 2 and its performance is better as well, it is in fact Tegra 2 which is the low cost option. Exynos is in short supply and thats why they have resorted to Tegra 2 in the S II for some markets.
That does not in any way lend itself to the assertion that tegra2 is considerably inferior (i.e worth reconsidering purchase of tegra2 phone in india) or that its cheaper. My assertion is that an inhouse product of samsung will definitely be cheaper than what they will buy from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post

Month of manufacture is JUN 11 on the box, but its on a white paper stuck on the box & looks out of sync with the rest of the box.

1) Screen guard (it might be unnecessary on a gorilla glass, but i have heard of scratches happening on defy)
3) i suppose OS is installed in default memory card, what happens when i slot in a 16g memory card- noob question, kindly excuse.
Mine was 100% charged - less than 3 sec of charging required.

1. Do it - doesnt matter. Get the X10's screen cover cut. or the samsung galaxy ace. You wont get an OEM one so don't even try.
2. Even I have the same pouch (for the Curve 3G)
3. Nothing is there in the memory card. Don't bother at all. just replace bindaas! Infact - trade it in, if you will get even a single image of gandhi in it!

PS: Letsbuy now rocks. Ordered a thermometer midday on the 30th, got it midday today!
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:17   #4403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Do it - doesnt matter. Get the X10's screen cover cut. or the samsung galaxy ace. You wont get an OEM one so don't even try.
I do remember seeing a screenguard for the Defy in Croma for around Rs 350 or 399---don't remember the exact price. Is that not a bit expensive?
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:28   #4404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I do remember seeing a screenguard for the Defy in Croma for around Rs 350 or 399---don't remember the exact price. Is that not a bit expensive?
why do you need a screenguard for DEFY ? It has GORILLA glass , it is scratch proof.
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:34   #4405
BHPian

My defy has green lens, bought from letsbuy today, hope it does not affect its ability to record 720p videos in the future, when i upgrade software.

Tried accessing android market from the phone, it asked me to login to gmail, which i did, took me through a series of authentication steps where we type in random words displayed on the screen.

Gave up on it after a couple of tries, since it is painful to get it right on this tiny screen.

Is there any other way to do this, since most apps seek gmail confirmation.
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:54   #4406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I was thinking the chinese ones for 50 just bought or 100 installed. not a penny more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
why do you need a screenguard for DEFY ? It has GORILLA glass , it is scratch proof.
Like azhar's red rumaal - don't ask why. Let 'em just do it.
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:38   #4407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I have a p500 and since I am on custom rom cm7 now, I don't remember the exact setting I did. But I can guarantee that I was able to disable it completely. You need to try harder :-)

Quote:
Quick settings and settings under CM7. The only setting which one cannot change is the bootup vibration for CM7.
Thanks. But rooting is not an option for me until the warranty gets over.

sbkumar, did you mean that you were able to disable haptic feedback completely even with the stock phone? For the life of me I couldn't figure out how. I disabled all vibration and haptic feedback options that I could find in the settings!
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:40   #4408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post

Order online from here:

AMZER® - Motorola DEFY MB525 Accessories

I ordered multiple things for my Nexus S and for my wife's Motorola Charm and received within 4 days. Excellent quality products.

Products available for many handsets.
mrohit17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 21:35   #4409
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Having rooted my Defy, I wanted to know how I can get my quadrant score on my stiock eclair.

The screenshot below is my first experiment with shootme.
Attached Images

Last edited by vnabhi : 2nd July 2011 at 21:48.
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:16   #4410
BHPian

Quote:
sbkumar, did you mean that you were able to disable haptic feedback completely even with the stock phone? For the life of me I couldn't figure out how. I disabled all vibration and haptic feedback options that I could find in the settings!
Meerkat,
Sorry, I stand corrected. Since I have moved to CM7 sometime back I guess I could not recollect it properly. Now that I checked with a friend who used it at that time I think it always vibrated during unlock. Since I moved on to CM7 some time back, could not remember it accurately earlier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks