Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 16:44   #10591
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I don't thinks it's bandwidth. I have 15mbps unlimited connection. May be the samsung servers were slow or my Kies had problems.

Regarding look and feel, I am not experiencing much difference between the UI. It feels very similar to Gingerbread, because of the touchwiz. I was expecting that UI will be more like ICS, but sadly not much changes. It's boring.

Any suggestions about the best 3rd party UI for Note which looks and feels close to stock ICS UI ?
Not much difference in UI, just few buttons feel a lot better. I somehow feel that the swipe action is better and the phone is faster now. The main difference is the stock contact list. It's much faster now. I was using a third party contacts app since the stock app was really slow. Now it's faster and I switched back to the stock contacts app.
Old 8th August 2012, 17:44   #10592
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Not much difference in UI, just few buttons feel a lot better.
Probably I was expecting a lot from ICS upgrade. Thinking it will be like switching from Window XP to Windows 7. Looks like samsung doesn't want it's users to experience sudden change in UI.

It's time I start reading about installing custom Rom. I wanted to avoid this initially, since my phone is not even one month old.
Old 8th August 2012, 17:44   #10593
BHPian

Quote:
I don't thinks it's bandwidth. I have 15mbps unlimited connection. May be the samsung servers were slow or my Kies had problems.

Regarding look and feel, I am not experiencing much difference between the UI. It feels very similar to Gingerbread, because of the touchwiz. I was expecting that UI will be more like ICS, but sadly not much changes. It's boring.

Any suggestions about the best 3rd party UI for Note which looks and feels close to stock ICS UI ?
I recently shifted to Paranoid android Rom and im not looking to go back to stock Samsung UI anymore. Everything is much much better than the normal one, especially the battery life and keyboard which now supports iPhone like multitouch. And its ICS 4.0.4 so same as what the update has released.

There wont be any Snote though. You'd need another app for that. Flash paranoid android only if you are confident of the flashing process. Its pretty easy though. I hope you are on Gingerbread still or else you'll have to downgrade and then flash.

Cheers.
Old 8th August 2012, 17:48   #10594
BHPian

Quote:
You can try installing the Nova Launcher from the Play Store. It is very smooth and provides the closest experience to Stock ICS, without having to root your phone.
Old 8th August 2012, 18:25   #10595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
pecially the battery life and keyboard which now supports iPhone like multitouch
Actually the stock 4.0.4 is very good on battery. I just loaded it today as i was driving from chennai to bangalore and wanted RSAP.

I can say the battery on WIFI, Maps, 3G and 5hrs of continuous songs was pretty good. And i was in roaming.

The new 4.0.4 seems to be very good with battery. I still like CM9 and will revert back once i am back to chennai.

4.0.4 is smooth even with so much bloatware. I am going to just root the device, install titanium and remove most of the bloats including hubs.
Old 8th August 2012, 19:38   #10596
Senior - BHPian

Help!

While trying to install Instagram in my G-S3, the download sort of stalls after 94%.

Any idea why this happens? Any solutions?
Old 8th August 2012, 22:15   #10597
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Finally updated to 4.0.4 using Kies. Just took 10 min for the installation. Some icons are much better looking now, keyboard has got a spacing between the characters and the best part is that the phone is much faster. This is just 10min after the upgrade. Will update if I find more.
Can you tell me how to update thru keis?i got notification yesterday night but didn't update as it was not in wifi,after reaching home,I tried but it said no update found.i badly need it as my contacts are crashing every now n then.
Old 9th August 2012, 09:17   #10598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Help!

While trying to install Instagram in my G-S3, the download sort of stalls after 94%.

Any idea why this happens? Any solutions?
Just tried out after seeing your post. I am on an Xperia -S , It went smooth and got over in less than a min.

Guess try re-installing when you are sure your wifi connection is up and running fine.
Old 9th August 2012, 09:39   #10599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Can you tell me how to update thru keis?i got notification yesterday night but didn't update as it was not in wifi,after reaching home,I tried but it said no update found.i badly need it as my contacts are crashing every now n then.
Just plug your phone using USB to the PC. Open kies and you will get the notification on the Kies home screen (Upgrade to latest firmware). If you dont get just try to update the Kies software to the latest release. Once done, click "Update Firmware" found on the home screen. The upgrade process will start once you click it. It will first download the files and then the installation is started. Once the installation is complete, the phone will restart (automatically).
Old 9th August 2012, 10:16   #10600
Senior - BHPian

The 4.0.4 battery life is not awesome, but astonishing. I am currently at a day, 8hrs and 30 minutes and i have 42% still left. Nothing has changed with respect to usage.

In fact i am in roaming and 3G. I think Samsung has cracked the battery issue with 4.0.4.

Only thing left is to root and remove the junk samsung apps.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:34   #10601
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried Waze after upgrading to 4.0.4. The phone doesnt heat up like I experienced when using 4.0.3. Loads much faster too.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:50   #10602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Actually the stock 4.0.4 is very good on battery.......I can say the battery on WIFI, Maps, 3G and 5hrs of continuous songs was pretty good. And i was in roaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The 4.0.4 battery life is not awesome, but astonishing. I am currently at a day, 8hrs and 30 minutes and i have 42% still left. Nothing has changed with respect to usage.....Only thing left is to root and remove the junk samsung apps.

That is great news!

But the bad news for me is i am still not able to load 4.0.4 via Kies. Havent tried the pcodin method yet.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:17   #10603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
That is great news!

But the bad news for me is i am still not able to load 4.0.4 via Kies. Havent tried the pcodin method yet.

I finally updated using the PCODIN. Simple enough process, you can get that from google. There was a post couple of pages back too with the steps.

I am not entirely sure of the battery life improvement and contacts' response time. I never moved out of the stock contacts so I could say that the response is pretty much the same. Battery life - I lost 30% in around 7 hrs sleep time yesterday night which I don't feel so happy about.
I am searching hard for the differences, but so far couldn't find anything. I assume most of them were internal fixes/enhancements. I use Nova and so I couldn't find improvements, if any were made in Touchwiz. Don't want to find out anyway as Nova is simple and clean.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:24   #10604
Senior - BHPian

@ksm-Vtec

Here is the alternative way to load ICS 4.0.4

- Locate the 4.0.4 for India in this page

[STOCK ROMS] N7000 All stock ROMs + install + Root guide All at 1place,Latest 4.0.4 - xda-developers

(N7000DXLR6---4.0.4/12.07.30-N7000OLBLR2---Download--India---Installation)

Download the file.

Download PC ODIN

Follow the instructions for installing the file (In PC ODIN load the file in PDA, connect phone in download mode and flash ROM)

After rebooting you will be on stock Samsung 4.0.4 rom. This does not void anything related to warranty or anything.

The rom is stock rom and not a rooted rom.

@SBkumar

Some process is running because of an app you have installed that is eating battery at night. My Idle state used 1-2 % whole night.

Last edited by VW2010 : 9th August 2012 at 11:25.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:30   #10605
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am looking to buy a new phone. I am currently using the Sony Ericsson X10.

My prioritities for my new phone are -
* Android OS
* Good procession speed (no lags)
* Good looks
* Good camera
* Front facing camera

My budget is around 25k to 30k. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed