Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 16:14   #10621
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Thank you buddy.

And I wont be interested in buying a phone from UK.

That said - is there any issue in buying a phone from India and using it in UK?
I dont see any issue in you buying a phone from UK. You get a lot of SIM free deals there too and since you mention you going to be based there for atleast a year, it would be better to get one from there considering the warranty issue in case anything goes wrong.

I would advise you get one from UK if you intend to use it there and be there for the said duration. For some of the on going deals and prices you may refer to
Mobile Phones | Contract Phones | Cheap Mobile Phone Deals & SIMs

Regards,
Old 9th August 2012, 16:34   #10622
Senior - BHPian

Guys, is there any way that i can retrieve my data from the internal memory of a dead motherboard?

My S2's motherboard was toasted in the recent rains, and the service center guys say its not possible to retrieve the data.
Old 9th August 2012, 16:56   #10623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My S2's motherboard was toasted in the recent rains
If you had updated the rom to ICS using Kies and have opted for back up you may still have the back up file that you can use to restore in your new Mother board.

Can you request them to give you back the old mother board. Atleast you can be sure the data is not mis used.

I really dont see a way the data can be recovered.

retrieve data from broken sgs2 - xda-developers
Old 9th August 2012, 16:59   #10624
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Xperia Ion start rolling in India.

Sony Xperia ion - Check Price, Full Specifications Online in India | Snapdeal.com

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 9th August 2012, 18:02   #10625
BHPian

Guys I faced a peculiar problem in my Samsung Galaxy Note. There was a white triangle with an exclamation mark inside it on top left corner. When this appears I am neither able to call nor answer any call. Please tell what is the reason?
Old 9th August 2012, 18:41   #10626
BHPian

I am unable to sync contacts with Gmail. If i create a new contact on the device and sync contacts, the newly created contact does not show up on Gmail contacts. This is on CM9 7/14 nightly build on my S2. Is there any configuration i need to do to get the contacts saved in gmail?

Also, have anyone been using CM 10 JB nightlies? I installed one very early version but went back to CM9. Any feedback about CM10 will help. Does it make sense to migrate to CM10 now? Is it sufficiently matured?

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 9th August 2012 at 18:44.
Old 9th August 2012, 19:53   #10627
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I have faced a similar problem. The solution is to save the contacts to a file on SD card. Remove all contacts from GMail, and then upload the contacts.
Old 9th August 2012, 20:16   #10628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys I faced a peculiar problem in my Samsung Galaxy Note. There was a white triangle with an exclamation mark inside it on top left corner. When this appears I am neither able to call nor answer any call. Please tell what is the reason?
May be it has gone into power saving mode. Check your settings for power save mode. Menu-System Settings-Power Saving. You can enable/disable this mode from Notifications drop down too. You will get an icon there ( a battery with the same triangle).
Old 9th August 2012, 20:23   #10629
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have faced a similar problem. The solution is to save the contacts to a file on SD card. Remove all contacts from GMail, and then upload the contacts.
Two ways I try to avoid this issue:

1. Regularly keep a google export back up of the contacts as CSV
2. Keep the sync mode one way (Google to Phone)
Old 9th August 2012, 20:43   #10630
BHPian

No it doesnt have to do anything with Power saving mode as I checked it and the mode is disabled.
Old 9th August 2012, 23:37   #10631
BHPian

Anyone on the good old HTC Desire? I am facing issue with the phone freezing and switching off at times (tried many ROMs before, currently on Runny ROM by RSK team). Only way to get it to working again is to pull battery and restart. Am on stock Hboot.
Old 10th August 2012, 00:42   #10632
BHPian

Planning to switch to Droid from WP 7.5. The lack of apps on the WP is the sole reason. And for some reason, newer apps are all still centric to apple and droid. Unfair!

Anyone have any first hand account on the HTC One V? Looks appealing. I've heard the phone's slow. Is it really that bad? I'm pretty much satisfied with the HTC Radar (WP) that I'm using now. The build quality of an HTV Aluminium unibody is what stops me from looking elsewhere.

Last edited by mempheS.D : 10th August 2012 at 00:44.
Old 10th August 2012, 08:57   #10633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Planning to switch to Droid from WP 7.5. The lack of apps on the WP is the sole reason. And for some reason, newer apps are all still centric to apple and droid. Unfair!

Anyone have any first hand account on the HTC One V? Looks appealing. I've heard the phone's slow. Is it really that bad? I'm pretty much satisfied with the HTC Radar (WP) that I'm using now. The build quality of an HTV Aluminium unibody is what stops me from looking elsewhere.
The build quality of HTC devices *externally* is generally better than the competition. But where they stumble is the internal components quality. I have been hearing quite a bit of niggling issues with the internal components like Wifi radios, screens etc on HTC One X. There is a reason why they are selling less than Samsung! - and I am not sure if its just marketing they lack in.

You could also look at the Sammies at equivalent price points IMO. While they may lack in quality feel (readlastics) they more than make up for that in other departments.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:30   #10634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was a white triangle with an exclamation mark inside it on top left corner.
Quote:
No it doesnt have to do anything with Power saving mode as I checked it and the mode is disabled.
That is for 'No Service". i.e no cellular service available. This can appear even if the device is showing full range.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 10th August 2012, 09:31   #10635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
That said - is there any issue in buying a phone from India and using it in UK?

The only reason why I dont look at the Xperia P is because I felt it wont feel like a significant upgrade from my current X10.

Is the metal body so good that I have to consider the P over the S ?
There shouldn't be any issue if you are buying a phone in India and using in UK, or vice versa - as long as the phone supports quad band (which is generally the case with most decent phones these days).

Since you are going to be in UK for the next 1 year, I would suggest that you compare (using internet) the Indian prices with UK prices (contract free) and then take a final call.

Like h@r$h@l suggested, I also feel that it makes more sense to buy from UK since you would be present there for 1 year and it would be easier to sort out warranty issues in case of any defects.

Metal body is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer metal body since it gives an upmarket feel to the phone.

Rohan

Most Viewed