Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2013, 20:34   #14251
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to Clean Samsung Galaxy Grand's White Flip Cover ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If it is pure leather then it wont work at all. Don't even try it. You could try a leather cleaner like you get for car upholstery.
Naaah Viddy, its a piece of cardboard, wrapped up in something, but not leather. The inside is made of some soft material to protect the screen.

"Don't even think of washing, the cardboard would melt away" - That's what my wifey said just now as she returned from work and I told her my plan.

Don't think using a Leather cleaner would help. I am afraid rather it would smudge the dirt more.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130325_194106.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130325_194126.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130325_194201.jpg
Old 25th March 2013, 20:48   #14252
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Samsung Galaxy S2
Friends, my colleague is planning to buy a new S2. Can some one please help with sites that offer the best deals?
Thanks in advance!
Bopanna
Old 25th March 2013, 20:54   #14253
BHPian

Re: Nexus 4 Battery Drain?

On my nexus 4, am facing this issue of battery drain when the alarm is set. The battery drops rapidly to around 5 - 10% overnight. If the alarm is not active i see it around 50% in the morning. Is anyone else here facing the same issue? Is there any work around/update/patch for this issue?

Pl. advise!
Old 25th March 2013, 22:39   #14254
Senior - BHPian

Guys
Need your input on how whatsapp actually works.

Is it dependent on the mobile number ? Does every profile require a unique mobile number ?

Or it just needs a mobile data network (wifi ) ?

My friend changed his mobile number (new sim), but his whatsapp profile has the old number and i'm sending msgs to his profile which is showing his old number.

If his old number becomes active in another device, and if someone sends a message to his profile, which device would receive the message ? old or the new one ?

How does this work ?
Old 25th March 2013, 22:46   #14255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Naaah Viddy, its a piece of cardboard, wrapped up in something, but not leather. The inside is made of some soft material to protect the screen.

"Don't even think of washing, the cardboard would melt away" - That's what my wifey said just now as she returned from work and I told her my plan.

Don't think using a Leather cleaner would help. I am afraid rather it would smudge the dirt more.

Attachment 1065789

Attachment 1065790

Attachment 1065791
Take a mug, with detergent and water mixed in between. Take a soft cotton cloth and dip it a bit in solution and then clean the cover.

I did the same to an aftermarket cover ( exactly like the one in pic ) white color for my iphone and some 20mins later, it was as good as new, except for few ink spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Which site did you book it from?

I booked on 19th Feb from m2hshop.com.
No specific delivery date yet..
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
I had booked it along with a friend through snapdeal.com on 16th FEB.

EDIT: Just checked with my friend, both the phones are delivered today.
I am still in office.
My friend got his phone delivered today after waiting for 1.5 months from snapdeal. I got to play with the phone too, more on that later and guess what happened, we went to nearby market to buy silicon cover and screen guard for his new phone and at the shop we saw quite a few piece of canvas HD with him, he quoted us 14.5k without any bargaining and my friend felt like a idiot for waiting for 1.5 months for this lol

Coming back to the phone, UI is kinda like Nova launcher, Camera is disappointing, front was good though and flash is there just for the name sake, don't even try taking a pic in night, you will be disappointed. The screen is awesome, build quality is good as it should be for a 14k phone. And the phone did managed, to play games like vector, temple run2 easily while doing multitasking. Changing from one running app to another was butter smooth.

All in all, a great phone for 14k, Damn VFM, only thing which is still questionable is A.S.S and life of the device.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 25th March 2013 at 22:54.
Old 25th March 2013, 23:06   #14256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Guys
Need your input on how whatsapp actually works.

Is it dependent on the mobile number ? Does every profile require a unique mobile number ?

Or it just needs a mobile data network (wifi ) ?

My friend changed his mobile number (new sim), but his whatsapp profile has the old number and i'm sending msgs to his profile which is showing his old number.

If his old number becomes active in another device, and if someone sends a message to his profile, which device would receive the message ? old or the new one ?

How does this work ?

Hello.
A whatsapp id/profile is dependent on a mobile number. Your phone number is your id. But the messages are sent via wifi or mobile internet. If you change your number or the phone,the simplest and best way would be to delete and reinstall the whatsapp application on the phone and set it up again so that it works with a new number/new phone. All his contacts would have to save his new number in their contacts list and this will show on their respective whatsapp lists and then they would be able to whatsapp him on his new number!

If you reinstall whatsapp with the new sim. Whatsapp on his old number will be reduntant.
If his old number becomes active on another device, he would receive whatsapps on it only if he installs and sets up the whatsapp application from scratch with his old sim/old number.

I bought a new phone a few weeks ago. My sim was in my new phone and i was using whatsapp on my old blackberry on wifi. Whatsapp worked on my blackberry without the sim even. As soon as I installed whatsapp on my new phone, whatsapp on my old phone became defunct. Also, as soon as i installed whatsapp on my new phone with my old sim my whatsapp subscription seemed to have got extended by another year! It's not possible to have whatsapp on the same number on two devices.

Last edited by promit : 25th March 2013 at 23:10.
Old 25th March 2013, 23:22   #14257
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Just found out about this awesome VFM phone: Xolo Q800 - http://www.xolo.in/q800 - it has awesome reviews on FK: http://www.flipkart.com/xolo-q800/p/itmdgs2d6srwtw6c !!

supposedly under 11k in BLR!
Old 25th March 2013, 23:40   #14258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Take a mug, with detergent and water mixed in between. Take a soft cotton cloth and dip it a bit in solution and then clean the cover.I did the same to an aftermarket cover (exactly like the one in pic) white color for my iphone and some 20mins later, it was as good as new, except for few ink spots
Thanks a lot sameerg001 - This worked.
Just now finished the cleaning job. The front cover looks neat and clean. However, the inside of the flip cover is still a bit greyish. All the stains are gone, but the cleanliness is not as new as the front cover. The material is velvet and I guess its difficult to get that perfect clean finish inside. I guess it's going to stay like that forever.

A Tablespoon of Detergent Powder:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130325_230231.jpg

~ 300 ml of water:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130325_230357.jpg

> Dip a clean soft cloth in the detergent + water solution.
> Wipe the cloth on the covers.
> Dip another clean cloth in plain water and wipe clean the cover.

Result: Neat and Clean Flip Cover (Front Side):

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130325_231137.jpg

Not So Clean Inside of Flip Cover. The material is kind of velvet and is not easily cleanable.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130325_231149.jpg

Overall Looks Neat, Clean and New

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20130325_231957.jpg
Old 26th March 2013, 03:10   #14259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Did activate 3g 500mb plan. It seems 3g consumes more battery, atleast that's what i'm experiencing or may be its just the apps running in the background. Logged out of the facebook app as i didn't want it running in the background!
When I last checked FB was one of the most evil apps that suck juice even if you ain't logged in. Best is to disable it or better still just weed it out, if you are rooted and use the browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
This my reason list:

1) I have 70% of my contact list on Whatsapp. Nothing else come close. On KiK and WeChat, I never found any of my contacts. Line had 2 of them
2) Regarding sluggishness I have never faced it. Probably because am running on a Note 2.
3) The memory footprint is 16MB. I don't care even after all these I end up having around 1GB of free RAM all the time.
4) It doesn't allow logging in using same phone number from different devices at a time, am not sure about other IM's. This is "security" for me.
5) Paid with no ads is OK for me and that too around 50 INR per year. What's the big deal if the app is satisfying you. I used to spend at least 10 times that amount while SMS was my only IM.
6) Can't move to SD is not a big deal for me, on stock JB I can't move any apps to SD on my Note 2.

Agreed on the dark theme part, I am crying for one for some time now especially since now using an AMOLED.

After trying out all these options for IM, I use Whatsapp and VOIP I use Vonage
Right... I got like 95% of my contacts on WA. But as I sad others like KiK are catching fast. Once it goes paid, and if it gets more sluggish, I'm counting on people appearing elsewhere.

As for the other things you have mentioned, they are valid only for higher end phones. But just because you have a higher end phone, does not mean you allow bloatware to run on it and make it tend towards a lower end phone. In the very least, it will consume more battery. Most other apps run well on 1 GHz, 512 MB phones. In fact, some 800 MHz phones are also current in the market, like the Sony Miro, etc. Seems WA has forgotten its just a text messaging (not even voice) app, and maybe it thinks its a game or something.

I hope you know that WA is free for life on iPhones (IIRC either its free or its something like 1$ for lifetime subscription). Does that make you feel any better about paying? Do I hear you say life is unfair, so what?

As for the security of using only one 1 device, it could be a hindrance too, depending on your expectations. You can get WA to run on your comp, but the procedure is not at all straightforward. And once you run it again on your mobile, the one on comp stops working again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't think Whatsapp is that bad. Runs very smoothly on my old HTC desire. No sign of sluggishness. On the Galaxy Nexus, it was running butter smooth and fast. (Of course dual core and 1GB RAM).

I find it the best messaging app, among the apps like Viber, which can be very sluggish on lower end phones.

Ready to pay for it anytime, but they keep extending my trial period!

Many free options are available but what to do - most of the people are on Whatsapp. A free app being available alone won't do.
We have already discussed above, that the new bloated version seems to run on on > 1 core and > 512 MB RAM. Also, I hope your experience is based on the latest version.

Lastly, I wrote to WA by email and on Twitter. No response anywhere. An email several months ago also went unanswered. Totally unresponsive developer. I for one will remain a very reluctant payer for WA. I'd pay for an app only if its a really good all rounder. Would feel good to pay for really good apps like Swiftkey, Nova, Vignette, etc. IMO WA does not measure up.
Old 26th March 2013, 04:24   #14260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I hope you know that WA is free for life on iPhones (IIRC either its free or its something like 1$ for lifetime subscription). Does that make you feel any better about paying? Do I hear you say life is unfair, so what?
It won't be that way for long. They are moving to yearly subscription model for iPhones too.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/17/mes...a-desktop-app/
Old 26th March 2013, 04:58   #14261
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks! Read that, and most of the comments too. I wonder what about those who have paid for the lifetime subscription. And not having a desktop variant, is a really bad move. I would anytime prefer to text thru a comp than when on any phone. In fact I never get into extended chats with anybody unless I'm on the comp. So Facebook chat, Skype and Yahoo work for me.

Anyway, bottomline is, by far the majority, at least in India, will not pay for apps... much less a recurring fee! In fact, hardly anybody I know personally has paid for an app. I don't think WA is going to change that in a hurry, so user base will surely decline.

Some are comparing WA to SMS, and feel pleased with WA, but thats a completely wrong comparison. Comparision should be with KiK, Line, Facebook chat, Gtalk, and many others; all of which are free.
Old 26th March 2013, 05:46   #14262
BHPian

I'm hoping that Google comes up with a unified messaging client as an app in Key Lime Pie to be announced in upcoming Google I/O. They have too many apps - Messaging, Google+ Messenger, Google Talk, Google Voice - that try to do the same thing and don't sync between each other. The new unified client should also fall back to SMS if recipient doesn't have data connection, like iMessage does.
Old 26th March 2013, 07:29   #14263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Anybody has tried washing the flip cover ?
Personally, my experience with my Note (N7000) flip is that there is no way to wash it due to its layered construction - best bet is to wipe with Mr. Muscle type of cleaner.

Frankly, the flips are of not long lasting at all. Mine lasted 4 months (with heavy usage) after which it frayed and simply looked too worn out to use!

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th March 2013 at 07:39. Reason: Typo
Old 26th March 2013, 07:46   #14264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

All in all, a great phone for 14k, Damn VFM, only thing which is still questionable is A.S.S and life of the device.
Well, I have experienced their service.
I bought A110 in Jan from Croma. After couple of weeks noticed two small greenish dots on top right corner of display. Took it to MM service. In 5 minutes they came back acknowledging it as a manufacturing defect & issued a certificate for free replacement.
Since it was out of stock in Croma, they refunded the amt.
..And since then I am waiting for my HD booked 1.5 months ago.
Old 26th March 2013, 08:37   #14265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
On my nexus 4, am facing this issue of battery drain when the alarm is set. The battery drops rapidly to around 5 - 10% overnight. If the alarm is not active i see it around 50% in the morning. Is anyone else here facing the same issue? Is there any work around/update/patch for this issue?

Pl. advise!
I've 3 daily alarms running 24/7 and some reminder alarms, but till date never had a battery issue because of that. Touchwood !
I believe it's some app using data transfer or some monitoring stuff is the culprit. Go to settings-> battery and check for the apps consuming battery. I was surprised to see some apps running in the BG which was not at all necessary. I turn off the data transfer when I go to bed.

PS: I also use snapdragon battery guru from day one, so can't comment whether it's helping in improving the battery life.

After a full charge in the morning and a good amount of screen time with data use I'll have a 10-20% battery left when I go to bed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks