Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 10:55   #21241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My Samsung note 2 phone got stolen. I have the imei number. Can I block the phone and make it unusable?
Only if you had registered your phone with Samsung dive service or Google's device manager. Else, the chances are very low.
Old 5th May 2015, 13:34   #21242
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
My Samsung note 2 phone got stolen. I have the imei number. Can I block the phone and make it unusable?
No ,you cannot block the phone here in India. That option is not there

What i have heard from my local phone repair guy is when the high end phones are stolen they are seldom sold back. They are broken down to parts like screen, battery, pins, IC's etc. So the chances of tracking is almost none. The chip holding the IMEI info is removed and destroyed.

My father also lost his 6 months old Note 2 which he purchased for 36K. Was really sad and gave Police complaint and visited the police station for nearly 10 times.No avail. Even the police knows that they cannot find it. They take a complaint for the sake of the process that too as a case of loss and not as theft.

Then later came to know about this modus operandi from my local phone repair guy. He says most of the local phone repair guys source parts from these guys since it is a lot cheaper than sourcing original parts and easier too.
Old 7th May 2015, 01:12   #21243
BHPian

Hello BHPians,
Finally ordered my phone after so many queries. Samsung Galaxy S4 it is!
Was getting a huge discount on Amazon. The actual price of the phone is 18k but Amazon is selling it for 16.5k for today and tomorrow. Plus I purchased from a SBI debit card so got 1.5k off.
So, got the S4 for 15k. Waiting for the phone to arrive now.

Also, ordered a 32GB class 10 Memory card for Rs.606/- and a tempered glass for Rs.178/-.

Regards,
Swapnil

Last edited by Swapnil_Alto : 7th May 2015 at 01:24.
Old 7th May 2015, 08:48   #21244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
Only if you had registered your phone with Samsung dive service or Google's device manager. Else, the chances are very low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
No ,you cannot block the phone here in India. That option is not there
I always suggest people to buy Anti-virus software for their mobiles, just like we have one for our PCs/laptops.

When you have a licensed version of anti-virus software running on your mobile, you get all the following options:

1) Wipe out all data remotely
2) Trigger a loud buzzer remotely
3) Lock the phone remotely

And a few more.

When you buy any phone, its worth to spend a few bucks on an anti-virus software. Recently, we bought a Samsung E5 for my FIL and we got Syska Mobile Insurance from Samsung dealer at 799/- only.

Syska has all these features as it has Quick Heal insurance in-built into it.

So guys, whenever you buy your dream phone, make sure to buy an anti-virus software too.

Cheers !

I use Norton Mobile Security on my Note-2 and I can easily control my phone through web.
Old 7th May 2015, 09:12   #21245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
When you have a licensed version of anti-virus software running on your mobile, you get all the following options:

1) Wipe out all data remotely
2) Trigger a loud buzzer remotely
3) Lock the phone remotely
All these facilities are available in stock Android, No need to spend on anti virus for these features. All you need is just activate 'Android Device Manager'. But none of these things work if the phone is formatted, sim is removed and/or internet is turned off.

Have a look at here to know more about Android Device Manager:

Remotely ring, lock, or erase a lost device

Last edited by tbppjpr : 7th May 2015 at 09:15.
Old 8th May 2015, 17:35   #21246
BHPian

Android 5.1 starts rolling out on Moto X which adds one more smarter feature into the already handy list of nice features of this smartphone:

The Download: Introducing Chop Twice for Flashlight with Lollipop 5.1 for Moto X (2nd Gen.)
Old 9th May 2015, 12:42   #21247
BHPian

Re: Video files in Android?

Why doesn't video files uploaded from my laptop into nexus 4, play in the phone? Is there any particular video format for android?
Old 9th May 2015, 13:27   #21248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Why doesn't video files uploaded from my laptop into nexus 4, play in the phone? Is there any particular video format for android?
Try third party media players like MX player.
Old 9th May 2015, 15:35   #21249
BHPian

Hello folks! Posting on this thread after quite some time. My friend's 6-7 months Note 4 is throwing tantrums like freezing, unexpected restarts, slowing down etc.

What might be the problem? Is it the infamous Samsung bloatware acting up? What can be done to solve this? It is funny and at the same time hurts to see his 60k rupee phone giving such problems and my humble Mi3 working smooth as butter.

-Bhargav
Old 9th May 2015, 16:42   #21250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hello folks! Posting on this thread after quite some time. My friend's 6-7 months Note 4 is throwing tantrums like freezing, unexpected restarts, slowing down etc.

What might be the problem? Is it the infamous Samsung bloatware acting up? What can be done to solve this? It is funny and at the same time hurts to see his 60k rupee phone giving such problems and my humble Mi3 working smooth as butter.

-Bhargav
Can you check the health of the battery? If the battery is removable, then get it replaced under warranty. Most of these signs are due to bad battery.

All the best !
Old 9th May 2015, 16:51   #21251
BANNED

Android M is expected in the not too distant future. So watch and wait. I hope it does not suffer from OS Bloat.
Old 9th May 2015, 17:15   #21252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Can you check the health of the battery? If the battery is removable, then get it replaced under warranty. Most of these signs are due to bad battery.

All the best !
Hello Ajay Sir! Will get that checked right away. But, can the battery go kaput just 6-7 months down the line? That's shocking.

-Bhargav
Old 9th May 2015, 17:20   #21253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hello Ajay Sir! Will get that checked right away. But, can the battery go kaput just 6-7 months down the line? That's shocking.

-Bhargav
There are multiple reasons for battery going kaput, not just manufacturing fault. My SIL had put her brand new S4 on charge overnight and in the morning the battery had swollen like a puri. So it was clearly my SIL's fault, but anything can happen.
Old 9th May 2015, 19:15   #21254
BHPian

Request all to suggest for a upgrade for HTC M8 , it is a year now i am with M8 , mobile upgrade is due this week , which phone can i look at have a budget of 50 K , five this way or that way ...

Last edited by Rovergen : 9th May 2015 at 19:17. Reason: spell
Old 9th May 2015, 19:56   #21255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Request all to suggest for a upgrade for HTC M8 , it is a year now i am with M8 , mobile upgrade is due this week , which phone can i look at have a budget of 50 K , five this way or that way ...
I will suggest the following in the given order( since I am also in the same boat):

1) LG G4
2) S6 Edge
3) One M9+
4) Moto X (2015)

All of these are announced but not yet officially available. So you gotto hold on to the horses for a while.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks