Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2016, 15:11   #23836
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just replaced the SIMs in both my mobiles (both Vodafone) with 4G SIMs. I am still debating whether to actually go for 4G services on one of them. These new SIMs where you can punch out Mini-, Micro- or Nano are a beauty. The porting took all of 15 minutes on both the phones.
Old 27th June 2016, 15:20   #23837
BHPian

Re: ROM for "Nexus 4"?

Guys, suggest a good ROM for nexus 4. I see many of them listed on XDA forum. What could be a stable ROM?

Pl. provide some links/URLs for the same.
Old 27th June 2016, 15:21   #23838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Bloatware is in the eye of the perceiver!
Agree. It varies from person to person, if they consider a particular version as having bloatware or not.

Quote:
It is easy not to like the "stock" (Google Now) "skin," or to find that it doesn't have features that one wants --- but this doesn't require a custom rom. it doesn't even need rooting to install a different launcher. Nova is hugely superior to Google Now (in my eye, at least).
I also use the Nova launcher. It's not just about the launcher though, but the overall look and feel. Some people just don't like MIUI, EMUI, ZenUI etc for reasons of personal taste and prefer the stock android look and feel.
Old 27th June 2016, 15:37   #23839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
immediately installed Asus launcher (I was using Zenfone 2 prior to Moto G4 and like their home launcher) and it works absolutely fine on my G4 plus.

Also, I have installed contacts, calling app & file manager apps from Asus.
Some Asus users consider the Asus software itself to be bloatware. I was using an Asus tablet, and consider their interface and software to be good!

It used to only be available for Asus devices. Did you do a normal Playstore install of the Asus elements you mention? Are they generally available now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just replaced the SIMs in both my mobiles (both Vodafone) with 4G SIMs. I am still debating whether to actually go for 4G services on one of them. These new SIMs where you can punch out Mini-, Micro- or Nano are a beauty. The porting took all of 15 minutes on both the phones.
I have an airtel 4G sim. Somewhere in the settings I might be able to restrict it to 3G or even 2G, but unless I do that, 4G is not a matter for decision: when the signal is available, it just happens.

Why would you not take advantage of it? (Hmmm, battery life I suppose?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Agree. It varies from person to person, if they consider a particular version as having bloatware or not.
As typified by our friend who likes Asus Zen and its apps, when some Asus users think it is bloatware. It's about choice. Ilike choice

Quote:
also use the Nova launcher. It's not just about the launcher though, but the overall look and feel.
But the overall look and feel is what the laucher is about, isn't it?

Even functionality like getting an app drawer on MIUI, or folders on Google Now, is look and feel.
Old 27th June 2016, 15:51   #23840
BHPian

Quote:

But the overall look and feel is what the laucher is about, isn't it?

Even functionality like getting an app drawer on MIUI, or folders on Google Now, is look and feel.
Launcher is part of the look and feel experience. But there are so many other things like how notifications are displayed, how you access the quick toggle settings, the way settings are organized, the icons and animations, etc which all add to the look and feel. So if I don't like these aspects of MIUI, just changing the launcher won't help.
Old 27th June 2016, 16:01   #23841
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a confusing situation. If youre not sure that you want to use 4g, why did you upgrade the sims in the first place?

I have a K3 Note and have Airtel in sim1 and Voda in sim2. I use airtel as the data on 4g. Personally I didint feel any perceivable difference or shorter battery life as compared to 3g I was using earlier. The speeds are fantastic and why would one not use it since its also costing same as 3g.

Other than that, I get 50% cash back on data used between 3-5am (which I do use) and another 500-600 odd mb night data with Wynk apps each month with airtel etc. All in all a pleasant experience.

One thing also to consider here is that I get 4g reception in roughly only 50% of places as of now. Rest of the time its good 'ol 3g.

Last edited by pixantz : 27th June 2016 at 16:02.
Old 27th June 2016, 16:24   #23842
BHPian

Quote:
Some Asus users consider the Asus software itself to be bloatware. I was using an Asus tablet, and consider their interface and software to be good!

It used to only be available for Asus devices. Did you do a normal Playstore install of the Asus elements you mention? Are they generally available now?
I agree on your point of bloatware also. In my Zenfone 2, there use to be a RAM available of around 300 to 400 MB out of 2 GB because of asus softwares. But, I use to like almost all of their apps and customization wise Asus was the best I had till date. Had to only part with it since it use to get slow of these bloatwares.

Now, most of their apps are available on playstore itself viz., calling & contacts app, messaging app, camera, file manager. But still am not able to get their Do It Later app which is very good.
Old 27th June 2016, 16:56   #23843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Launcher is part of the look and feel experience. But there are so many other things like how notifications are displayed, how you access the quick toggle settings, the way settings are organized, the icons and animations, etc which all add to the look and feel. So if I don't like these aspects of MIUI, just changing the launcher won't help.
Ah, yes, point taken!

Somehow I was forgetting to consider that chunk of the user experience. I customise the colours of the notifications using Layers; probably some more fingers could be poked in the works using Xposed --- but both of those are, starting with rooting, things that a user may well not want to touch, and nothing is going to happen if it is not supported by the underlying ROM anyway.
Old 27th June 2016, 18:10   #23844
BANNED

"pixantz; I normally use the WiFi and not the 3G. No harm in getting the SIM imho. Voda 4G is not yet widespread. Use the SIM data when driving around. Also, used the 3G when we had power outage for four days, followed by another four without WiFi. Prepared for the future one may say.
Old 27th June 2016, 19:41   #23845
BHPian

Oneplus 3 - Transformer

Guys my oneplus 3 Experience (My review I wrote on Amazon)

Will be long one as I was too frustrated
Updated Review for the replacement.

This device starts yay. Now I can Ditch my old Iphone 4 (using a replacement for a lost Moto X 2014). And I really did that. I deleted all my chats including those with my wife :( as backup was not happening quickly enough for me. New Gadget man

Now for the review
1st Hour: Dash Charge works. yay 49 % to 100% in 40 mins that is good. Screen is better than Oneplus One so I am fine. My eyes are not yet powerful enough to differentiate more than 400 ppi Maybe when I am born as superman I will be able to see pixels in the 5.5” screen

2nd Hour:
Fingerprint registered and works well
Wifi range is a revelation in itself. Could not get Wifi signal at more than 15 feet (not meters). Surprisingly Every other device catches Wifi at almost 50- 60 feet. Even ipad generation1 catches the signal after all this time

Excited at getting a new gadget showed my dad the device [Dropped the Idea of gifting this to my Dad after last experience]

3rd Hour: Registered for Servify / Saavn /Kindle App. Deleted Whatsapp from my old phone and majority messages. Took a few snaps of Puja room as I am a spiritual guy. First shot should be of God in the camera

4th hour: Call from some vendor. 30 Mins later called my wife and voice is loud and clear

5th Hour:
Took the oneplus 3 on it first road trip. Home to Idea Network store to get the 4g sim for second slot. In the meantime, unknown to me Oneplus undergoes a transformation inside my pocket. I thought I ordered a mobile and not a Transformer. And never knew my pockets had so much power.
Screen is showing ghosts now. First I was confused maybe my Rayban's were showing me new color. Nope on removing them confirmed that screen has undergone the metamorphosis. All the colours are starting to look weird. Took some snaps as I was not sure how long that mode will survive.

6th Hour: Took a video on a Macbook of the Ghost colours. Restarted it well it remains the same. Pics Transferred to the phone look normal. So do the screenshots. Must be a display problem. Sorry Oneplus 3 I am still not yet ready for a transformation world. maximum I am comfortable is only rooting the devices. You to go back to your own world

Enjoy the Sequel guys. Luckily for me though don't have to do a part 3 That is it from me ladies, gentlemen and transformers

Adios

P.S had to remove the previous Video as Amazon allows only a single show. Replaced it with pics

Initial Review on 19th June'16
I have got a bricked piece delivered. It is stuck after the Oneplus Logo screen. Other than the White notification Led, screen remains blank. The situation remained same even after an hour of charging. And I gifted this to my dad on fathers day. First phone to fail during unboxing in the last 15 years.

It is damn irritating to get a faulty device on launch. Now Amazon India does not even have refund option. Lost all the interest in the device. Somehow feel the wait was all Hype. Wanted to register the device for the Servify warranty but that options seems to go for a toss now

No option for Zero Stars
Old 27th June 2016, 19:45   #23846
BHPian

Quote:
These new SIMs where you can punch out Mini-, Micro- or Nano are a beauty
one problem is that 'Nano' spec is also thinner, which means on some phones it could be a problem. I had problems on my Nexus-6, it was a bit difficult to insert the thick micro-to-nano converted sim. I was afraid it could damage the sim-slot.
Old 27th June 2016, 23:47   #23847
BHPian

Re: ROM for "Nexus 4"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
one problem is that 'Nano' spec is also thinner, which means on some phones it could be a problem. I had problems on my Nexus-6, it was a bit difficult to insert the thick micro-to-nano converted sim. I was afraid it could damage the sim-slot.
Yep. In such cases just sand paper the brand side of the sim and you are ready to rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Guys, suggest a good ROM for nexus 4. I see many of them listed on XDA forum. What could be a stable ROM?
Use the purenexus, chroma or good old cm12.
Avoid Resurrection and Blisspop. Google the links.
Old 28th June 2016, 08:52   #23848
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to install Tab in my car and make it the the primary ICE unit. Is it possible to take phone calls from my regular phone on the tab (like a regular bluetooth enabled car HU).

What apps/do I need to do?
Old 28th June 2016, 09:42   #23849
BHPian

Re: Oneplus 3 - Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Guys my oneplus 3 Experience (My review I wrote on Amazon)

Will be long one as I was too frustrated
Updated Review for the replacement.

This device starts yay. Now I can Ditch my old Iphone 4 (using a replacement for a lost Moto X 2014). And I really did that. I deleted all my chats including those with my wife :( as backup was not happening quickly enough for me. New Gadget man
Sorry to hear about your ordeal with a brand new device. I got mine delivered yesterday, and touch wood everything has good so far.

1) I haven't noticed the wifi-range issue which you mentioned. Will check it in detail today once I reach home.

2) As far as the issue with colors is concerned, can you check if you have by mistake activated the "Invert Colors" toggle in the notification panel ?

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2016 at 23:03. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 28th June 2016, 09:43   #23850
BHPian

Re: Oneplus 3 - Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

5th Hour:
Took the oneplus 3 on it first road trip. Home to Idea Network store to get the 4g sim for second slot. In the meantime, unknown to me Oneplus undergoes a transformation inside my pocket. I thought I ordered a mobile and not a Transformer. And never knew my pockets had so much power.
Is it possible that when you kept it in your pocket accidentally screen brightness went below 20%? Usually if screen brightness set to automatic and % of brightness is set in slider it take both. In addition there is an setting to slide on status bar for screen brightness.

I have this screen issue with Nexus 6, if use screen toggles like Wifi or data (they are at top), sometime it acts on brightness slider. Then screen becomes darker ... Once I wonders why it so without giving a thought on brightness slider... Sometime super responsive phone is also bane!

Just guessing your issue also related to this. Ignore it isn't the case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks