Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2018, 09:57   #28321
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I have an issue, whenever I connect my One Plus 6T to car's infotainment system (Maruti's Bosch system), it goes into DND mode and doesn't ring when a call comes. What could be wrong? It was not the same with One Plus 3T.
It might be because of the driving mode in google play services which automatically enables DND. I do not have pie, but found this from the net

https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...o-not-disturb/
Old 24th December 2018, 14:21   #28322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
This seems strange,as the normal 2G bands should have worked for phone calls, provided you were latched on an operator, who only works on LTE ( something like Jio) and your APAC model didn't have those LTE bands.
===========
To answer your question, regarding phone compatibility, you should be able to get the answer on the Roaming partners website.
I took a Tmobile SIM from Hyderabad airport.
I did the same the last time I traveled but that time I was using the Pixel and i worked flawlessly.
There were a couple of colleagues traveling with me as well who took the same SIM. One of them had a Redmi phone (probably Redmi 6 Pro) which did not work. Other one had a hold Moto G3 which worked for cellular calls but 4G did not work ( 2G/3G was working mostly). I dont know if there are restrictions placed on some models.
I am now very worried about this going forward as I need to travel to US/EU at least 3-4 times a year and I need a phone which works at these places. How do I make sure that the model I buy works in the US/EU? May be buy a phone which is sold in these countries? I was googling and could not find a definite source.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th February 2019 at 13:57. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 24th December 2018, 14:43   #28323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I took a Tmobile SIM from Hyderabad airport.
Seems like the bands are restricted by the Manufacturers themselves, by cheapening out on the hardware. Lesser radio modems, less is the price.
The 6T One plus is listed as T Mo compatible, but again, the one sold in India could be different than sold on T-Mo USA. The high end Samsung and iPhones do work for sure.
Or you could try a ATT prepaid for next time.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nok...bands-t3810497

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th February 2019 at 13:57. Reason: edited post for better readability
Old 24th December 2018, 16:04   #28324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Nokia 6.1 plus did not work in USA which caused huge pain for me. I am not sure about the reason because this was not about 4G, normal mobile network didn't work for calls. Is there a list of phones which will work in USA and Europe? Last time I went to USA I had the pixel and had no issues
Damn!!! That's disturbing.

I recently picked up the same phone and switched from Docomo to Jio as the former didn't have 4G. I usually keep the second sim slot empty for local Sims during foreign trips. My OnePlus X worked flawlessly in Australia, Netherlands and Thailand. Would be tough if the Nokia doesn't

In addition to that does Jio work atleast for incoming SMSs abroad? Usually for OTPs I need that to work. For internet/calls I buy local Sims but SMS service is mandatory.

Quote:
... May be buy a phone which is sold in these countries? I was googling and could not find a definite source.
Definitely not compulsory as OnePlus wasn't sold in Europe in 2017 , but my OnePlus worked there flawlessly.

Last edited by SoumenD : 24th December 2018 at 16:06.
Old 24th December 2018, 16:14   #28325
BHPian

I purchased a Redmi 4a about two years back for the dual sim capability and took it to US. It didn't work on voice but data was working. I then had to purchase the Op5 there as it was launched just that day in the US, ahead of India and elsewhere. I learnt the band lesson the hard way too.
Old 24th December 2018, 21:51   #28326
Senior - BHPian

Given that this information is not publicly available, it would be great if people can share their experiences about which phones work and which don't. May be we will have a good repository here itself
Old 24th December 2018, 21:59   #28327
BHPian

Got the pie update for my Mi A1 yesterday. Major changes that i have noticed so far is FM Radio and adaptive battery.
Overall battery performance seems to have slightly improved.
Couple of drawbacks though, gear icon removed from the first level status bar and then system ui tuner menu is completely hidden!
Old 26th December 2018, 07:45   #28328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
In addition to that does Jio work atleast for incoming SMSs abroad? Usually for OTPs I need that to work. For internet/calls I buy local Sims but SMS service is mandatory.

Just a heads up. Jio international roaming rates are attractive these days, especially for India calls. During my last trip to Europe, I used my local Jio SIM instead of buying a local one. The rate is Rs. 2/min for both incoming and outgoing calls, data at 2/MB on Jio postpaid. This was without adding any special packs or the likes
Old 26th December 2018, 08:47   #28329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do I make sure that the model I buy works in the US/EU? May be buy a phone which is sold in these countries?
This website helps:

https://willmyphonework.net/

Buying a model available in your destination country, in the origin country itself is not guaranteed to work because manufacturers often have different capabilities for phones sold in different parts of the world.
Old 26th December 2018, 09:32   #28330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Just a heads up. Jio international roaming rates are attractive these days, especially for India calls. During my last trip to Europe, I used my local Jio SIM instead of buying a local one. The rate is Rs. 2/min for both incoming and outgoing calls, data at 2/MB on Jio postpaid. This was without adding any special packs or the likes
Thanks for this info. Will tell my parents who are on a trip to UAE next month. So no need to activate any pack for this? Jio website shows two packs - A global pack and an unlimited pack.
Old 26th December 2018, 11:07   #28331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Thanks for the info.But I have the prepaid connection. Will incoming SMS still work if I don't do any separate activation? it used to work for Docomo all these years.

Am not too worried about calls and internet as I prefer picking up local Sims from airports itself, but the incoming SMS feature is kinda mandatory for my use-case.
Old 26th December 2018, 11:16   #28332
mxx
BHPian

I need some info from people here using Asus M1/M2/Pro series smartphones. From what I understand these phones have a stock version of Android, but not in "android one" program.
How often do you receive the android security patch updates? I dont care about having the latest version of android, just need the security patches. Android one phones get updates almost every month. Do asus M series phones get security patch updates as frequently?
Old 26th December 2018, 12:11   #28333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I need some info from people here using Asus M1/M2/Pro series smartphones. From what I understand these phones have a stock version of Android, but not in "android one" program.
How often do you receive the android security patch updates? I dont care about having the latest version of android, just need the security patches. Android one phones get updates almost every month. Do asus M series phones get security patch updates as frequently?
It was mentioned during the M2 launch that these phones will get Android updates once every 2 months.
Old 26th December 2018, 12:58   #28334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y448 View Post
It was mentioned during the M2 launch that these phones will get Android updates once every 2 months.
If someone needs or cares seriously about regular Android updates, Android one is the best option other than the Google Pixel series. So, I would take the above with a pinch or more of salt.

I think there is quite a bit of variation even with the Android One phones. I think Xiaomi is doing well with respect to Security updates but the OS updates are lacking. Nokia seems to be the only one who is doing a good job with both OS and security updates (even their low end phones have already been updated to Pie while Samsung flagships are still on Oreo)

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2018 at 08:09. Reason: Typo
Old 26th December 2018, 14:31   #28335
BHPian

At present I have iPhone 6s. After iOS 12 update, it has started behaving strange. i.e App crash and frequent phone reboot. I have tried restoring as fresh phone but it didn't help. Is Pixel 2 XL still good phone to purchase? How about Nokia 8.1?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks