Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 20:15   #121
BHPian

re: 2012 Honda City launched. Pics on page 11

Ah! Honda missed a chance again, didnt they.

What looks good..its the same old city with tiny new bits of chrome, making it 'exceptional' indeed. The blue-lit dashboard looks sexy. But where is the auto-climacon!! I guess Honda are happy and confident the rotary unit works better than automatic ones. The sunroofs a welcome addition. The new alloys are so Accord-ish, just miniaturised.

Nothing new, but not bad. Am sure the sales of Jazz will be dented further keeping in mind the price of the base version of the new City!
Old 15th December 2011, 21:23   #122
jpm
BHPian

Hyundai at least made an effort to produce the verna transform; hideous though it was, one has to admire hyundai for the man hours it committed to waste.

however to be honest, I think the price is fair and comparable for the kit on offer. The only fly in the ointment being the model is couple of years old. Nevertheless a pure NSOBNTO Honda City in white with black tints soul gets my second look. (that's Now Slightly Older But Not That Old Honda City obviously for the uninitiated who don't play the acronym game)

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2011 at 16:13. Reason: STRICTLY no short forms (e.g. ANHC) permitted on this forum.
Old 16th December 2011, 01:09   #123
Senior - BHPian

Well considering its face lift, its not that bad but considering how subtle yet big the previous mid gen face-lifts were, this one looks like a lazy attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I love it!

* That new rear lamp cluster is to die for;
It seems to be inspired from the 2007-2008 Acura TL
2012 Honda City launched. Pics on page 11-acura_08tl_taillight_large.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
some images for those who want to see in flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Guys have you noticed that the alloy wheel looks alike the one found in SX4?

These are actually more like the Accord Alloys

Old 16th December 2011, 03:26   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
FACELIFTS I'VE SEEN IN THE INDIAN MARKET.

The Honda City facelift makes me think about facelifts in general and how so many manufacturers seem to force them at times on perfectly nice looking cars.

I don't know what it is about facelifts but I very very often feel that at least exterior standpoint wise, facelifts (not "all-new" models although i may cite a few examples here) often take the looks of the car backward.

Some egs that come to mind (all IMHO of course and these matters are highly subjective)

- late 80s Maruti 800 actually looked nicer, particularly from rear than the current several iterations face lifted version

- original alto rear looked more palatable than k10 version

- hyundai Verna previous generation. The short lived facelift towards the end looked absolutely horrid, particularly from the front. Takes talent to make an unimpressive looking car truly horrifying

- original zen looked nicest. later models with minor facelifts only took away from the look.

- Innova 2012 facelift. I actually prefer the current look. Looks cleaner. But of course I'll have to revisit view once I see it in the flesh.

- endeavour. On front headlamp front alone, I prefer the model running until a few yrs ago as opposed to the slightly peeled back softer headlamp look of the current model.

- scorpio. Original rear taillights look much cleaner than the current long vertical rear taillights. Latter looks really bad.

- Mitsubishi lancer. The original looked the nicest. Subsequent minor tweaks, particularly where they gave the vertical slats to the front grill didn't look as nice. The revised grill didn't look nice I mean.

- new swift. Overall the all new swift is nicer but one aspect I dislike is the rear bumper. It makes it looks awkward and the line is too high. T old swift rear looked nicer to me.

- Outlander facelift. Highly subjective but to me the old face looked nicer than the new shark face front. This looks suits the mitsu sedan more in my view (lancer) and looks odd on the Outlander.

These are just off the cuff egs I could readily think off - I'm sure there will be several more that other ppl may have. I reiterate, these are just as. Perceive them and i agree this is very subjective. I'm sure some would disagree and thats fine of course.

I couldn't agree with you more. IMHO, the grille just looks garish now!

At 6.99 L, the base version does seem VFM. So VFM in fact, that yours truly, who am interested in a good car with an OTR budget of max 6.5L am tempted to buy this.

On the other hand, I couldn't help comparing with the Jazz (I know they are different segments and most people may not agree with me on this). Looking purely from a practicality perspective keeping in mind the car will be used for city driving 90% of the time, I just can't justify the price difference of ~ 1.5L between the base models of each car; the only differences being the boot in the city and a slightly more powerful engine - both of which are disadvantages in a metro.

To Jazz's credit, it also has magic seats and allows you to transport almost anything.

I am suffering from a classic case of mind (Jazz) Vs. heart (City).

Can anybody tell me what the expected OTR price for the base version will be? And also what the dash sans the music system will look like in the base model? This is actually a good thing. One can fit a music system with a blue backlight to match the instrument cluster!

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2011 at 16:31. Reason: Slight edit in the quoted post
Old 16th December 2011, 06:33   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei
I couldn't agree with you more. IMHO, the grille just looks garish now!

I am suffering from a classic case of mind (Jazz) Vs. heart (City).
Hi, just to clarify, I don't have much of a view on the city facelift in itself. I do marginally prefer the outgoing grill but just the talk by some ppl disappointed by the facelift got me thinking about all the facelifts I haven't liked at all in the past. :-)

On your jazz v. City dilemma - one Q is whether you're completely self driven or occasionally driver driven too / have ppl sitting at the back regularly even if you are driving. My sense is that rear seating comfort will be much more in a City than in the Jazz.

Secondly, regardless of where you're sitting general ride quality of city is probably a notch above jazz. I'Ve owned two large hatches - swift and i20 and I fine these cars tend to pitch a lot, particularly on slow speeds even on slightest bumps. City will ultimately be more comfortable on this front.

The jazz flexibility re rear seats is indeed stunning and unique. However, you need to bear in mind that it uses it's seating at back to offer this flex.
Qs to consider then:
How often will you need that unique seating configuration of jazz (without having more than 2-3 ppl in the car) and are these situations where the City's 500 ltr + boot would not suffice. Believe me the City's boot is H U G E! By any standards. AND, it doesn't come at the cost of the rear seats. Think through above factors and decide which suits your needs better.

Finally (and subject to your personal considerations on above factors leading to one or the other), if you can stretch to the City without being financially imprudent, I'd recommend it only on the basis that it is after all a segment above. However, that's also a personal choice since if you value shorter dimensions of jazz over larger engine of city and you won't feel the itch to upgrade sooner on account of the fact that you picked the jazz over the city, then your choice can be made accordingly.

Happy shopping!!

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th December 2011 at 06:35.
Old 16th December 2011, 09:13   #126
BHPian

My two cents - Why make radical changes when something is already well-accepted. This seems to be the mantra with Maruti when they went in for face-lifted Swift as well as with Honda with their City now.

Coming to changes made, it is each individual's perception as far as looks are concerned. I saw the car in flesh today in showroom and liked it, looks more masculine.

They have tried to address all areas and at the same time take on the competitors. So they addressed the ground clearance issue and introduced cruise control to take on Fiesta.
To have something first in the segment, they introduced sunroof. All the changes are welcome.

However, I feel they missed a chance in "re-introducing" AT in other variants. I think most individuals would go in for "S" variant and it would have been nice to have "S AT".

So why introduce corporate edition with 50k discount. My thought is that they wanted to have price their diesel variants priced suitably (ofcourse, it would be higher than the petrol version and considering that most will be picked up by corporates or fleet owners)

Threads on Honda Diesel
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-india-3.html

Honda's new diesel engine unveiled| Zigwheels.com
Old 16th December 2011, 09:31   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
Bluntly put - Except for the Cruise Control there isn't anything extraordinary in the new City.
Cruise control is a waste on Indian Highways. Even driving in the USA on week ends the Cruise control is rarely an option given the traffic on the Freeways.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:56   #128
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I happen to be one who has drive the Honda City for close to five years and being a driving buff would have taken this over all routes - I find this to be one ergonomically designed car which has great engine and appealing control panel - where it really suffers is evidently ground clearance and definitely that five something is not going to work wonders - however doubtlessly it will be better!

I understand from reliable sources that what they went through was a MMC(Minor Model Change) and while this would definitely add to the aesthetics and creature comforts of potential customers it is not going to do great things in the performance perspective.

More later

Cheers

Old 16th December 2011, 13:30   #129
Senior - BHPian

What I feel Honda could have included with the face lift is - Wider section tyres. Atleast for the V variant. The current set of tyres are constantly in the line of fire from critics and reviewers alike. The chrome grille takes away some class of the Honda City. Looks more Chinese than Japanese this grill

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2011 at 16:32. Reason: STRICTLY no short-forms to be used for cars on this forum (e.g. ANHC)
Old 16th December 2011, 13:42   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
What I feel Honda could have included with the face lift is - Wider section tyres. Atleast for the V variant. The current set of tyres are constantly in the line of fire from critics and reviewers alike. The chrome grille takes away some class of the Honda City. Looks more Chinese than Japanese this grill
Agree on the tyres bit.
On the grille, well thats the new face of Honda. Like it or not, you will see similar one in the new Civic as well

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2011 at 16:32. Reason: Small edit in the quoted post
Old 16th December 2011, 13:53   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Agree on the tyres bit.
On the grille, well thats the new face of Honda. Like it or not, you will see similar one in the new Civic as well
Sad then ! Flashy flashy chrome on a car that intends to be sporty? A Skoda or a VW can carry quite a lot of chrome with elegance, but on a car like the Civic, it will look very odd. The pre-facelift Honda City had no chrome on the body apart from the badges and decals. V had chrome door handles, then came chrome door sash. Now the grill, inner door handles, volume control dial too. 'Chrome is the order of the day' says Honda's market research probably?

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2011 at 16:32.
Old 16th December 2011, 13:58   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sad then ! Flashy flashy chrome on a car that intends to be sporty? A Skoda or a VW can carry quite a lot of chrome with elegance, but on a car like the Civic, it will look very odd. The pre-facelift Honda City had no chrome on the body apart from the badges and decals. V had chrome door handles, then came chrome door sash. Now the grill, inner door handles, volume control dial too. 'Chrome is the order of the day' says Honda's market research probably?
Probably! I think thats why they even have chrome door handles on the premium trim

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2011 at 16:32. Reason: slight edit in the quoted post
Old 16th December 2011, 14:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
I know what you mean by all that chrome but the Aam janta loves chrome! I know people who have put aftermarket chrome grille,door handle, mirrors case and what not!! I guess Honda is just giving what the average Indian buyer wants! Same goes for beige interiors but that's already discussed in another thread! Though i am a great fan of beige interiors!

My two cents!

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2011 at 16:33. Reason: Small edit in the quoted post
Old 16th December 2011, 17:15   #134
BHPian

Quote:
What I feel Honda could have included with the face lift is - Wider section tyres.
The logic behind putting thin section tyres is a no-brainer...maximise fuel efficiency. See those skinny 165'ers and 155'ers on the Swift and i10 respectively?
Old 16th December 2011, 17:48   #135
BHPian

Hope the new honda city and its pricing would result in more sales for the brand. I own a Honda city and is extremely happy with its performance, its definitely the best petrol car in its segment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks