Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 15:35   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

This is a proper revision of the product even though they are using the same platform. I don't see any but the vaguest similarities with the Indica, and that would mean that they are both hatches. The Bolt and Zest were short timeframe revisions, while this has taken longer and is obviously not at all similar. Similarities between the Grand i10, Figo and Zica can only be attributed to the car not being launched and hence trying to imagine the 3 dimensions is difficult. I don't think from the design there is any way to mistake one for the other.

Apart from a reworked body and interiors, the suspension is also almost entirely new, with the new dual path front setup and a torsion beam rear setup to eliminate the perennial alignment issues that the independently suspended Indica suffered. Add in the new engines, and there is really very little that is similar between them :P

With a Zest in the close family, I know that Tata service has room to improve, but it is nowhere near as poor as some of the other manufacturers centres (Read VW group, Skoda in particular). I can also confirm that the newer service centres - the ones that opened after or around when the Horizonext strategy was unveiled - are far better than the older ones. I think it is because the old habits need to be unlearned in order to get better - though this is certainly not an excuse.
Old 30th November 2015, 15:46   #362
Senior - BHPian

However good Tata products are, they usually end up as taxis or flops. I suggested the Zest and the Bolt to many people as an option, and they all have more or less the same answer- 'it's a Tata, it will fall into pieces within two years. I'd rather buy a Hyundai instead'. The truth is, it's very hard for people to understand that Tata has moved on and is closer to the Koreans and the Japanese in most of the departments. I hope I'm proved wrong. Wish they start building mind blowing cars and improve their brand image. There is nothing like seeing an Indian company bashing up the global giants. I wish the Zica builds a strong case for itself among consumers.

Last edited by Turbohead : 30th November 2015 at 15:48.
Old 30th November 2015, 16:00   #363
BHPian

When I first looked at the car, I felt like something is missing in this one.
I still feel it's not complete, feels like it's missing a character...

Added to that bit disappointed with the name 'Zica' still reminds me of 'Indica'.
Old 30th November 2015, 16:15   #364
BHPian

The car has the potential to do well but couple of points might be critical to take care of:

1. Re-branding the passenger car division might be a good idea and TATA needs a NEXA like strategy more than Maruti
2. Decide whether the target segment is cabs or private users. Please don't try to sell to both sets of customers wherein private users will stop buying due to the cab image
3. I find the rear of the car to be good and am glad TATA has (or at least hopefully has) moved away from the decade-old Indica design language. This will be critical in future cars to ensure success
Old 30th November 2015, 16:31   #365
BHPian

Saw this car undergoing testing on my way to work, near Hinjewadi flyover. Looks very similar to the Grand i10, from the fleeting glimpse that I had, interiors look nice too. Looks like the space on offer is good for the segment. Wheels do look a size small though, nothing an upgrade can't fix. Lets hope it comes at a VFM price point and improves Tata's brand image with the common man
asivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 18:16   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the media drive is about to happen. Saw this tweet from Tata Motors.

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-zica.jpg

Source: Twitter @TataMotors

Looks like there is a huge buzz being generated for the Zica similar to what we saw for previous products like the Nano, Zest and Bolt. But it has never translated to big sales. Hope the Zica can reverse the trend. Looking forward to the drive reports.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 30th November 2015 at 18:26.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 18:24   #367
BHPian

Is it really necessary to keep the base variant deprived of body color bumpers? It just spoils the looks of an otherwise good looking car.
Zinda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 18:49   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Is it really necessary to keep the base variant deprived of body color bumpers?
Probably not. But would you rather have body colour bumpers from the factory on your base variant car, or front and rear fog lamps, rear wash wipe and proper internally adjustable mirrors with integrated blinkers?

Painting the bumpers in body colour is easily done prior to delivery spending 3000/- - 4000/-. But getting a rear wash-wipe retro-fitted is not.

May be Tata has done it for differentiation between variants. If all variants look the same, at least some folks will opt for the lower variants due to the price differential, because they don't find enough incentive to spend on a higher variant which looks the same.

Or for all you know, the black bumpers might have been a temporary fitment to take the vehicle off the assembly line since the painted bumpers did not arrive on time from the paint shop. Trust me, happens a lot - especially in pilot lots.
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 19:23   #369
BHPian

Tata Zica's dashboard snapped upclose.

Source: Powerdrift
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-tatazicadashboardexposed.jpg  

keeprevving is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 19:33   #370
BHPian

I would say its a beautiful looking car there from TATA. Something that they needed for a long time. A successful small car can do wonders to the ailing carmaker. Seems they have won half the battle with a superb design. A good marketing and aftersales will make for the other half.

Whoever said it still resembles the Indica, theoretically speaking, democracy always thrives on the 'Naysayers'.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 30th November 2015 at 19:37.
vinayrathore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 19:48   #371
Senior - BHPian

Where does this look like an Indica?

It sure looks good.

If it uses the suspension underpinnings of the Zest, then it is very much likely to have top class ride and handling.

The front shell is some what similar to that of the Zest.

Steering wheel and the steering itself, if carried over from the Zest, will be quite a treat.

However, black bumpers on base version are an eye sore.

I am of a view that the bumpers should always be of body colour across varaiants.

Last edited by simplyself : 30th November 2015 at 19:51.
Old 30th November 2015, 21:35   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keerthivasan View Post
I'm no longer able to differentiate between a i10 Grand, New Figo and Zica, from the rear angle.

I'm sure this will be priced decently, and we are going to see a lot of this on the road.
They should put up clauses not to use this as taxi-cabs, and dedicate Indica for it (like what Maruti did to Dzire-Tour).
Umm.... how many Zest or Bolt taxis have you seen? Guess they're already doing it. I know, not too many on road overall but I for one have NEVER seen a Bolt or Zest taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
1) Infact poor designs have become a rarity like datsun go plus, xylo, etc. 2) If Tata had inspiration from Mercedes at that time, they should have been having more inspiration from Landrover for their SUVs and Jaguars for their sedans now, but it is not at all reflecting.

3) But saying Tata styling is mature is similar to that of Ambassador in 2015. Instead of ageing gracefully, it will die off nicely in this era.

4) All the new cars launched recently and got successful like I20 elite, Jazz, Creta, etc had a good design to back up.
I respect your views but here are my viewpoints-

1) Poor designs are the norm. Good looking cars are few and far in between. IMHO these days mostly Hyundais, the Fords and the new Tatas (think Aria, Nano GenX, even the Ultra truck)

2) Borrowing styling from JLR for Tata cars is killing the goose that lays golden eggs. If I were an Aston Martin buyer do you think I'd be clapping my hands in joy looking at the Figo and Aspire? If I were a Lambo owner and Audi copied the styling for the R8 how would I feel? As a brand the big problem Jaguar had (before Tata took over), was the cars were too close to Fords.

3) Yes, Tata styling is a lot more mature than all the brands you have NOT mentioned. In the Top 10 brands sold in India only Hyundai, Ford, Tata, VW Group and Renault Kwid (just 1 product) have their styling sorted. Think about it . . . a lot of big names really don't style very well, off late even Honda sadly (think Brio, Amaze, BRV)

4) Not ALL the new cars .... just the 3 you mentioned :-) plus the Tatas and the Fiats.

There are a lot of plug ugly new cars out there but then I am an old fogy with thick glasses :-P

Last edited by ampere : 1st December 2015 at 00:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Ferruccio is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 22:12   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Looks like the media drive is about to happen.

Looks like there is a huge buzz being generated for the Zica similar to what we saw for previous products like the Nano, Zest and Bolt. But it has never translated to big sales. Hope the Zica can reverse the trend. Looking forward to the drive reports.
The media drive is happening this week on Thursday and Friday. Some journos might be driving it before that as well. But, expect to see all the details and reviews after Saturday evening only.

Tata Motors definitely need to create buzz for the Zica for it is an important product for them (like most of their launches!). Dwindling sales aren't helpful either and there's nothing completely new in the current lineup.
Old 30th November 2015, 22:18   #374
BHPian

I was impressed with the way Tata had put together the zest and the bolt in terms of styling and interior quality.

But I am myself in the market for a hatchback and walked away from the bolt doubting if it would be discontinued very soon. And that was after an 85K discount the dealer was giving for the XT diesel.

The Zica again has a matured styling, though I find a lot of lines in the front similar to the upcoming Fiat aegea.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-aegea-vs-zica.png  

Old 1st December 2015, 00:27   #375
BHPian

For those who cannot see the difference....

There are surely and distinctly visible changes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-they-same.jpg  

Last edited by Leymama : 1st December 2015 at 00:28. Reason: Addition if a line
Leymama is offline   (18) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks