Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2017, 14:14   #916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Second life? You must be young. This is Fiat India's fourth life. Uno/Palio/Punto and now this. DNA is hard to change, it looks like.

Uno may have started life in the hands of the Indian Premier Automobiles, but it was the first mess that the Italians made in India by the time they were done with it.

Yes fourth life. First they came in with PAL, then they decided to come up individually then TATA and now again establishing themselves Individually again. They never changed their arrogance in all the four lives they had.
Old 4th July 2017, 22:41   #917
Senior - BHPian

So the 4th Of July has passed without Jeep announcing anything on the price of the Compass! This is getting really surprising now! Why would a company not announce prices post bookings? Now that GST has been rolled out I see no reason for Jeep to be delaying this announcement. They are losing the momentum I would say!
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 23:19   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

KHT Prime, Bangalore crosses 200 bookings,

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-screenshot_20170704231228.png
arun_josie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 00:43   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
KHT Prime, Bangalore crosses 200 bookings,
Even Sky Moto in Pune had got 140 bookings as of Sunday.

Must say there is quite a bit of interest around the car. Hope it does not evaporate after the prices are announced.
Old 5th July 2017, 00:45   #920
BHPian

There must be something stopping Jeep from releasing prices. They would want this product to succeed more than all of us together can.
Let's trust their timing and hope for an amazing price.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th July 2017 at 16:38. Reason: External smiley deleted
Stratosphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 06:41   #921
Senior - BHPian

So July 4th came and went without much happening on this thread. Guess someone caught the fancy of that date and used it for some traction.

Or Jeep didn't think through it properly and GST came and surprised them. Afterall, UVs are the biggest beneficiaries.

Regarding the pricing, I am very confident that we will get a very desirable price (meaning quite close to the Creta Diesel SX-O) for a variant which won't sell much and will be used to get more footfalls into the showroom and the website - and that will be the petrol Manual. No surprises there - many have even received an SMS from Jeep itself hinting at that and a big spread thereafter.

The real deal is the pricing for the base variant Diesel and the petrol AT. That's where the volume will be.
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 11:15   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
There must be something stopping Jeep from releasing prices. They would want this product to succeed more than all of us together can.
Let's trust their timing and hope for an amazing price.��
Yeah, I agree. A company that has invested more than 1800 CR and acknowledges that this is their do or die product, would take every step cautiously.*

Cynicism, shown in earlier posts, suggest that some already want to call it a failed product. Content of this forum change the perception of people who read it. Rumor mongering will help none.

IMO, this company should be congratulated that, unlike some other foreign players, past failures have not shaken their belief in our market and they have come up with even bigger & better product to reinvent themselves. I know for sure, through my contacts, that they have generated sizable amount of jobs during the whole process and have brought here in India for the first time, some cutting edge technologies in manufacturing.

I would really like to see them succeeding this time for good.

Last edited by noopster : 5th July 2017 at 12:42. Reason: Fixed smiley
ritzy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 12:18   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Yeah, I agree. A company that has invested more than 1800 CR and acknowledges that this is their do or die product, would take every step cautiously.*

Cynicism, shown in earlier posts, suggest that some already want to call it a failed product. Content of this forum change the perception of people who read it. Rumor mongering will help none.

IMO, this company should be congratulated that, unlike some other foreign players, past failures have not shaken their belief in our market and they have come up with even bigger & better product to reinvent themselves. I know for sure, through my contacts, that they have generated sizable amount of jobs during the whole process and have brought here in India for the first time, some cutting edge technologies in manufacturing.

I would really like to see them succeeding this time for good. :thumbup:
Well said! I also believe that we should be patient and wait until they announce the prices (anyway I am on the boat of people who have already booked it and are waiting for delivery!)
Still the launch price will determine how happy I am with my Buy decision.
From my perspective I am buying the Compass to replace my Skoda Yeti and it exceeds the Yeti in all aspects: Power, Ride quality, 4x4 capability, interior comfort. Only thing which my 1st Gen Yeti may have been better is mileage - I used to get a mileage of 16+ and with Compass I expect 12-13, but that is of course with higher power.
My 1st gen Yeti was a great buy at 15.4 lacs on road in Gurgaon in Dec 2010 and I sold it recently after having covered 100,000 kms in more than 6 years. I had not been able to find the right replacement for it till now, and only when the Compass was launched did I find the right option. Now just waiting for the price, which I expect to be around 21 ex showroom for the LTD 4x4 (O) variant which I have booked. I do hope that it is around this. The initial figures which I got from the showroom sales team was 15-20 lacs exshowroom.
Lets wait and watch if Jeep can better these prices!
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 12:32   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post

I would really like to see them succeeding this time for good. :thumbup:
Quite right. I agree, like GM , Fiat India could have taken the easy route of quitting the market. They still are holding on , which means that they believe in the soundness of the Indian Market. The Compass as said earlier is a good product and Fiat has a reputation for making solid cars. Let's hope they succeed this time. I have found the Punto to be extremely solid and actually a wonderful hatch.

Though the Jeep has American DNA, i think it has taken after it's foster parent and makes the Punto and Linea feel Tinny next to it's build.
Old 5th July 2017, 12:37   #925
BHPian

My biggest gripe with FCA & the Compass !!

The 2.0 L MJ II - is NOT in ~ 190 HP & 400 Nm Tune. OR Higher
Old 5th July 2017, 13:15   #926
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post

Because the 190hp - 400Nm is a twin VGT version which probably would not have helped them with the costs.

But anyways, come on. Is 173ps - 350Nm less? It is competitive enough for the Tucson - Tiguan segment the top variants will compete with, and much more than the Creta - SCross 1.6 segments that the low end will encounter.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 13:15   #927
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post

Not sure on how much max torque their automatic gearbox is built for. Probably keeping in line with that requirement the engine is tuned for.

EDIT

Just found an article on the European versions of the made in India Compass. For Europe the 2 Ltr engine is down to 140 HP. Torque remains 350nm for the automatic. I guess that's what the gearbox can handle.

Courtesy Rushlane.

Last edited by noopster : 5th July 2017 at 13:46. Reason: Embedded the URL
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 13:30   #928
Senior - BHPian

Just now I got a call from Jeep customer care and they asked me to get in touch with the dealer for the prices! The customer care executive mentioned that the Dealer is aware of the prices, trying to reach KHT Bangalore but unable to get thru. Any of you have any info?
Old 5th July 2017, 13:40   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Because the 190hp - 400Nm is a twin VGT version which probably would not have helped them with the costs.

But anyways, come on. Is 173ps - 350Nm less?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Not sure on how much max torque their automatic gearbox is built for. Probably keeping in line with that requirement the engine is tuned for.
The compass weighs in the region of 1700 KGs. Absolutely not complaining about the weight !
Just that HP/Ton & Torque/Ton would have been that much better / sweeter.
FCA reportedly has this 2.0L MD II mill already available in this state of tune in other geographies.
There are other 2.0L Diesels in the market offering this for some time. Some with lighter bodies.
Was looking for this tune in the Limited - MT - At least.

Nobody would have blamed FCA for providing class equivalent / leading power (comparing this to the current top crop of 2.0L diesels)

I can agree with the cost aspect.
But what if the MT could have handled this torque and there were no need to go for any hardware changes.
Old 5th July 2017, 13:53   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just now I got a call from Jeep customer care and they asked me to get in touch with the dealer for the prices! The customer care executive mentioned that the Dealer is aware of the prices, trying to reach KHT Bangalore but unable to get thru. Any of you have any info?

Just called Tausif at KHT. No prices have been intimated to them. He still maintains 15-22 lakhs ex showroom. It's still a guesstimate and nothing official.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks