Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2017, 09:30   #1546
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
And the day finally came... Posting some pics. Review will follow.
First impressions about the facelifted Diesel variant.

1. As reported after my drive of the AT variant, the ride has definitely improved.

2. The NVH seemed to have improved over the earlier version.
Congrats on the new Ecosport. Your model seems to be Titanium Diesel & you seem to love the Ecosport as you have one more Ecosport.
Regarding point 1, most of the reviews have also said that the ride has been softened, the old one had a stiff ride specially at low speed. How is the ride quality at high speed? Regarding improvement in NVH, the Ecosport always had good NVH, now I guess it should be class leading.

Here are a few questions from my side, as you own both gens you would be the best person to answer these-

1) Have the headlights improved? The older one had an average output.

2) ACI review seem to state that Ford has dialed in some slack in steering response (i.e more lock to lock turn).

3) What do you think of the new armrest? I found it pretty useless for a person of average height.

4) Does the Ecosport finally come with two tweeters in the front door? In the older model the tweeters were exclusive to the Tiatnium AT model.
Old 20th December 2017, 12:33   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramitn View Post
Attachment 1707308

Hey Ford India says you have to lock the car manually, no auto door lock
Ford seems to be confused with this auto sensing door lock feature. Here's a tweet from ford claiming that this feature indeed exists in the new Ecosport.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-1513753401996.jpg  

theapollohelios is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 16:05   #1548
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Here are a few questions from my side, as you own both gens you would be the best person to answer these-

1) Have the headlights improved? The older one had an average output.

2) ACI review seem to state that Ford has dialed in some slack in steering response (i.e more lock to lock turn).

3) What do you think of the new armrest? I found it pretty useless for a person of average height.

4) Does the Ecosport finally come with two tweeters in the front door? In the older model the tweeters were exclusive to the Tiatnium AT model.
Thanks for the wishes.

Response you your questions below.

1. It's too early to comment on it. Yesterday's drive was in the city and the roads were well lit. Hence couldn't really make a judgement. In my earlier Ecosport I had the Philips Xtreme vision and it was much better than stock.

2. Again haven't noticed anything evident here too. Good news is that the leather wrap covers the entire steering wheel rather than partial cover as in the old one.

3. Yes, the armrest is pretty useless for an average Indian like me@ 5' 10".

4. Yes, you get 2 tweeters and a sub woofer behind the touch screen. Sound quality is as good as it used to be.
Jude300 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 18:05   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
2. Again haven't noticed anything evident here too. Good news is that the leather wrap covers the entire steering wheel rather than partial cover as in the old one.

4. Yes, you get 2 tweeters and a sub woofer behind the touch screen. Sound quality is as good as it used to be.
2. Is it just me or did you find the thumb grips on the steering wheel thinner than the old EcoSport as well?

4. Many users have reported it to be a centre speaker & not a subwoofer, so it’d be great if you confirm after checking the same. However, the sound quality was excellent, and I was amazed at how smooth & responsive the touchscreen with SYNC 3 was.
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 21:25   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
2. Is it just me or did you find the thumb grips on the steering wheel thinner than the old EcoSport as well?

4. Many users have reported it to be a centre speaker & not a subwoofer, so it’d be great if you confirm after checking the same.
I have had a good look at the New Ecosport (though didn't get to drive her). Regarding point 2, I didn't find the thumb grips thinner than the old ecosport. As Jude300 has already mentioned that the newer steering is fully clad in leather, it actually felt better to hold. Having said that cars like i20, Punto have a more soft touch leather.

Regarding point 4, my SA told me that it is indeed a center speaker, but I guess Jude300 can clarify better. As for the sound quality, even the older one sounded nice.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 20th December 2017 at 21:28.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 23:22   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Took both petrol and diesel MT for a spin today morning when I went to pick the Fiesta up after the service.

My observations:

1. There is no auto lock as of now. From what I understand, this will make its way through a software update.
2. The ride is really good. It is stiff but no longer harsh. Even the 17" rode well.
3. The steering also felt better. The old one was very light and felt very different compared to the Fiesta, the new one is closer. Still not as sharp with turn in and all, but I guess that is fine for a vehicle so tall and not so wide.
4. The dragon felt really good. The NVH is stellar for a 3 pot and it felt really responsive in the low and mid revvs. The older 1.5 felt a bit too lame and the effervescent EcoBoost came alive only on open roads. The dragon takes a middle ground and suits the EcoSport really well. But if given a choice for the Fiesta, I would pick only the EcoBoost. That little motor has a lot of character.
5. The diesel felt good too. But that was always the case once Ford released the 100 PS tune with the previous facelift.
6. The gear shift has also improved. The throws are short and sure now. The stick and its housing is different. No, it cannot be retrofitted on the Fiesta. I asked. LOL
7. The steering is all leather now. It was leather only on the sides earlier. Feels nice to hold and looks very good too.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_20171220_224113.jpg
8. The window switches are now part of the door pad, it was housed in a separate pod earlier. The seats are bigger too, but it doesn't hold you as tight as the Fiesta does. The bolstering is shallow and wider - will suit people with larger frames.
9. Enough has been said about the touchscreen display already, so don't want to elaborate too much on it. The segment' best by some margin. And no, it doesn't block your vision even when you are sitting low.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_20171220_104454305.jpg
10. It is now that the EcoSport finally get Ford' family face. My wife didn't like the previous EcoSport, but she was really impressed when we saw the new one at a big mall here recently.

Overall, a good update. Can't wait to drive the Dragon AT. Everyone says that's the pick of the bunch.
deetjohn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 23:52   #1552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And the day finally came... Posting some pics. Review will follow.
Congratulations on your new machine, Judil! Wishing you many happy and safe miles. It looks awesome in this color.
By the way, are you keeping the old one as well? It would be nice to see them side by side
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 00:10   #1553

Got my Titanium + Canyon Ridge TDCI today. Initial driving impressions are

1. The ride quality even with 17inch Tyres is really good
2. Mine came shod with bridgestone. The Tyres noise is negligible
3. The mid has the option of enabling auto lock. However it did not function even once after enabling. The SA said that there would be a software update soon
4. She took in 48 liters of diesel. The best mileage I got to see today was 16.4. It was really crowded and the traffic was crazy in Delhi.
5. The touch screen does a great job and as everyone said highly responsive and class leading
6. The drivability is too good and the power delivery is linear. Could not believe that it is a diesel.
7. The steering assembly fouls with the left leg when you operate the clutch. Really annoying
8. The market is not flooded with too many accessories for the new model. No cover available for the key fob
9. Got the vehicle from Harpreet Ford. Very professional and great service
10. Insurance from HDFC Ergo. Got it for 27000. Loan from HDFC too. Interest rate of 8.45. Nil discounts or offers on the car. Got a set of cushions as complementary
11. Fast tag was applied for by the dealer and installed before delivery
12. Wheel locking nut is unique and is not repeated in at least 500 cars as per SA.
13. Will share the pics tomorrow
Mad4bhp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 00:12   #1554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
I have had a good look at the New Ecosport (though didn't get to drive her). Regarding point 2, I didn't find the thumb grips thinner than the old ecosport. As Jude300 has already mentioned that the newer steering is fully clad in leather, it actually felt better to hold. Having said that cars like i20, Punto have a more soft touch leather.
I think I might’ve found the steering too thin because the last steering I held was a beefy MSport one.

Anyhow, what’s with the extremely small MID that the new EcoSport has? I personally find it much boring that the pre-facelift one.
Old 21st December 2017, 00:58   #1555
BHPian

The Test Drive

So this was my first, and my brother's fourth (!) test drive of the new Ecosport. After the disappointing manual P, this one was the fully loaded automatic, and it was quite a drive, this.

The car feels tight, I liked how the engine sounded when pushed, the paddle shifters feel excellent to use, the dash appears nice and the touchscreen does a great job. The steering adjustability is superb. The sound system is better than average and gives a nice thump if you'd ask it to. The ride is a bit firm, yet not jarring. Honestly I expected a lot worse from the 17 inchers. We liked everything (yup, everything), except:

The space. Specifically at the front. The front seats are too small for me, and I'm not a big guy. My back was on the side rises of the seat, and it should be within. My brother on the other hand felt quite cramped with the footwell. FWIW he drives an iGen i20 right now.

We really couldn't find fault with the car, except for the space up front though if I had to nitpick, I'd say the steering is small and thin, the absence of rear AC vents is a bummer, and the buttons on the steering are a little finicky. I believe this to be one of the most VFM cars available in India today.

PS: There was this weird issue that my bro experienced all four times he's taken a TD, and in different vehicles of the same model. He's been feeling woozy after the TD due to, what he says, are vibrations on the steering and the foot pedals. I didn't experience this and I drove the same car right before and after he did, for longer than he did. I can't quite explain what he feels because I don't understand it myself, but it's bothering him to an extent where he's looking to cancel his booking. Anyone else notice anything similar?

Last edited by ach1lles : 21st December 2017 at 01:07.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 13:19   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
I can't quite explain what he feels because I don't understand it myself, but it's bothering him to an extent where he's looking to cancel his booking. Anyone else notice anything similar?
That's the exact feeling I had when I test drove the Figo. One of the reasons I dropped it off my list. The vibration on the pedals was very disconcerting and the sales advisor told me that's a Ford characteristic.
Old 21st December 2017, 23:03   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Congratulations on your new machine, Judil! Wishing you many happy and safe miles. It looks awesome in this color.
By the way, are you keeping the old one as well? It would be nice to see them side by side
Thanks Anna. I didn't really want to sell the old one as it was in very good condition. If not for the tax savings on lease, I wouldn't have gone for this one. My bro has taken the old one and I am very happy as it stays within the family and I can ride it sometime too.

Quote:

4. Many users have reported it to be a centre speaker & not a subwoofer, so it’d be great if you confirm after checking the same. However, the sound quality was excellent, and I was amazed at how smooth & responsive the touchscreen with SYNC 3 was.
I had a Trend variant earlier and hence I had to leather wrap it. With that wrap it was a little more bulky. But I like the steering wheel on this one too. Nice to hold and I am happy.

Though the SA said its a sub woofer, I guess it is just a 5th speaker.

Yet again, I cut my own mats and have put them on my ride. Some clicks below.

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-dsc_0208.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-dsc_0220.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-dsc_0222.jpg

Two more clicks of the gentle beast

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-dsc_0228.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-dsc_0240.jpg
Jude300 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 23:15   #1558
BHPian

Quote:
I had a Trend variant earlier and hence I had to leather wrap it. With that wrap it was a little more bulky.
We have a 1.5L Ti-VCT Trend as well & I too have gotten the steering wrapped in leather.
Since you have driven both, how well do the stock headlights fare than the older EcoSport?
(not considering your bulb upgrade)
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 23:42   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Yet again, I cut my own mats and have put them on my ride.
Enjoy your new ride, the mats look very nice, could you please let me know where you got them and the price for the same. Also does it have the typical plastic smell.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 07:58   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
We have a 1.5L Ti-VCT Trend as well & I too have gotten the steering wrapped in leather.
Since you have driven both, how well do the stock headlights fare than the older EcoSport?
(not considering your bulb upgrade)
I still can't give a clear answer to it as I have not taken it on the open road. But I does feel better. Not sure if its psychological.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Enjoy your new ride, the mats look very nice, could you please let me know where you got them and the price for the same. Also does it have the typical plastic smell.
The best place to buy the noodle mats in Chennai is Pycrofts Road near Express Avenue mall. There are many shops and thus more options. This time I around I didn't want to take the pain of going that far and bought the mats at a shop in Porur. It costed me ₹70/sqft and I bought 16 sqft (4ft x4ft).

The name of the shop is Taj Traders, No: 27 ARCOT ROAD. Mob: 9445886172, 9444485670. They also have a bigger shop at Trunk road, Karambakkam.

The rubber smell will be there. The best thing to do is leave the mat open in the balcony for 3 or 4 days. Then it should be fine to be put on the car. Please make sure that it's kept open and not rolled up. What I did was leave it over the washing machine. I have made a video on how to cut the mats. Will post it on YouTube soon.
Jude300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks