Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2020, 23:47   #361
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 864
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

I will decide after I see it in the flesh and take a test drive. I have a Polo GT and I love the way it drives. Hoping this will be even better. I just hope it lives upto the expectations.
Traveler is offline  
Old 16th May 2020, 09:20   #362
Senior - BHPian
 
84.monsoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,366
Thanked: 4,079 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

The COVID induced delays are putting the T-Roc’s future at risk. We all know VW is working hard on the T-Cross and Skoda on the Kamiq. These cars will come with more space, more practicality and cheaper spares thanks to heavy localization. They will even have the same engine and gearbox as the T-Roc (1.5 TSI) in the higher variants. I expect the top variants of these cars to be priced at least 25% lower than the T-Roc, i.e, topping out at 14.99 ex-showroom. For those who have been waiting for the T-Roc for months and are prepared to wait a few more months, these brand new cars may offer much better value, lower ownership costs, more space and road presence and almost the same driving experience.
84.monsoon is offline  
Old 16th May 2020, 11:33   #363
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 101
Thanked: 231 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
These cars will come with more space, more practicality and cheaper spares thanks to heavy localization. They will even have the same engine and gearbox as the T-Roc (1.5 TSI) in the higher variants. I expect the top variants of these cars to be priced at least 25% lower than the T-Roc, i.e, topping out at 14.99 ex-showroom. For those who have been waiting for the T-Roc for months and are prepared to wait a few more months, these brand new cars may offer much better value, lower ownership costs, more space and road presence and almost the same driving experience.
The Taigun was expected to be launched around June 2021 which will most definitely be delayed further due to VW being completely shutdown making it a year long wait. I did originally consider the Taigun but decided to go for the T-Roc specifically because it's a CBU and I can expect better overall build. I have a ~30km daily highway commute so I desperately need something safer than the 10 year old WagonR I currently use.

Plus the styling of the two cars is chalk and cheese. The Taigun is standard CUV fare with a boxy shape à la Hyundai Venue while the T-Roc offers more sporty coupé-like styling. Styling is very subjective and I personally find the T-Roc more appealing. The quirky-ness and limited volume might also make it more eye-catching on the road.

I agree with you on the VFM and interior space part but I also don't see the Taigun being priced so low. The top spec will probably be priced to compete with Creta SX 1.4 Turbo DCT which is 16L ex-showroom. Plus the maintenance costs will probably not be too different since they both use the MQB platform albeit with minor differences and the engine-gearbox combo is identical. Can't really compare driving dynamics but going by international reviews the T-Roc is sportier and handles better than the T-Cross since it sits more squat due to a slightly wider track.

Again, this is my reasoning in choosing the T-Roc and it'll be interesting to see whether the other prospective T-Roc customers choose to wait for the "prodigious child".
AamodB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 14:31   #364
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 864
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
The Taigun was expected to be launched around June 2021 which will most definitely be delayed further due to VW being completely shutdown making it a year long wait. I did originally consider the Taigun but decided to go for the T-Roc specifically because it's a CBU and I can expect better overall build. I have a ~30km daily highway commute so I desperately need something safer than the 10 year old WagonR I currently use.

Plus the styling of the two cars is chalk and cheese. The Taigun is standard CUV fare with a boxy shape à la Hyundai Venue while the T-Roc offers more sporty coupé-like styling. Styling is very subjective and I personally find the T-Roc more appealing. The quirky-ness and limited volume might also make it more eye-catching on the road.

I agree with you on the VFM and interior space part but I also don't see the Taigun being priced so low. The top spec will probably be priced to compete with Creta SX 1.4 Turbo DCT which is 16L ex-showroom. Plus the maintenance costs will probably not be too different since they both use the MQB platform albeit with minor differences and the engine-gearbox combo is identical. Can't really compare driving dynamics but going by international reviews the T-Roc is sportier and handles better than the T-Cross since it sits more squat due to a slightly wider track.

Again, this is my reasoning in choosing the T-Roc and it'll be interesting to see whether the other prospective T-Roc customers choose to wait for the "prodigious child".
I echo your comments fully. The fact that this a CBU really influences my preference for this model. It's also an apt sized car for my needs. Not too big to become unmanageable in city and enough to carry a small family with luggage. The premiumness and uniqueness also do play an important part.

The pricing is also okay, we would always want things to be cheaper though , but I think you are getting the money's worth considering all things. The 1.5 L TSI EVO engine plus DSG combo sure has some rave reviews too.

My Polo GT never runs out breath and I am sure this will be even more engaging to drive.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 06:39   #365
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: KA50
Posts: 524
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The fact that this a CBU really influences my preference for this model. It's also an apt sized car for my needs. Not too big to become unmanageable in city and enough to carry a small family with luggage. The premiumness and uniqueness also do play an important part.


My Polo GT never runs out breath and I am sure this will be even more engaging to drive.
Exactly my thoughts, although the upcoming Karoq is making it extremely tough to decide between the two. I am torn between the practicality of the Karoq vs the sleek design (and lower price too) of the T-Roc; drivetrains being the same

I also wonder why most overseas reviews haven't been very generous towards the T-Roc while showering 5/5 praise on the Karoq
GeeTee TSI is offline  
Old 17th May 2020, 06:52   #366
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 864
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Exactly my thoughts, although the upcoming Karoq is making it extremely tough to decide between the two. I am torn between the practicality of the Karoq vs the sleek design (and lower price too) of the T-Roc; drive-trains being the same

I also wonder why most overseas reviews haven't been very generous towards the T-Roc while showering 5/5 praise on the Karoq
All the reviews I have read / watched only have one gripe and that is if the hard plastics used in the interior. None of them had any complaints about the performance or any other complaints. The 1.5 TSI EVO engine is actually the most preferred option among the three engines on offer abroad.

It would have been nice to have soft touch materials inside the car but I can live with the hard plastic interior as well. IMHO it's a small issue, one that I can live with. How often do you actually touch or feel the dashboard of a car? But then this my opinion.

12 yr anti corrosion warranty and a 4 yr standard warranty that is expendable to 7 talks about the confidence VW has on the product.

The pandemic is definitely effecting all decisions and let's see if I ultimately take the plunge.

Last edited by vb-san : 17th May 2020 at 13:46. Reason: typo
Traveler is offline  
Old 17th May 2020, 10:09   #367
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 101
Thanked: 231 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
All the reviews I have read / watched only have one gripe and that is if the hard plastics used in the interior.
The reviews even mention that they are hard compared to what other VW models offer and not particularly cheap feeling compared to competitors . So it's unlikely that the plastics alone will steer someone away from what is on paper a great urban CUV.
AamodB is offline  
Old 19th May 2020, 14:13   #368
BHPian
 
tristis2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 135
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
None of them had any complaints about the performance or any other complaints. The 1.5 TSI EVO engine is actually the most preferred option among the three engines on offer abroad.
Please see :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4756813 (The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs).

Here I have pointed to sections where there are complaints about the engine. Have also shared links to videos where its demonstrated. Please search for "Kangaroo effect 1.5TSI Evo Engine" on youtube and google.In T-Roc forums UK, there seem to be no new complaints especially in 2020 models, unless I have missed to find one. That's a hope, that in India we may not get this issue, if it indeed has been resolved.

Like I had expressed before, the engine issue, if any shall be the deal breaker to me. Hard plastics are of least concern, given the issue. Soft plastics would definitely have been better given the segement and cost of the car .

Further, I could hardly shortlist other cars as a replacement for my Vento; T-Roc seemed a good replacement by its looks, power and features. Hence keeping my fingers crossed on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
The reviews even mention that they are hard compared to what other VW models offer and not particularly cheap feeling compared to competitors . So it's unlikely that the plastics alone will steer someone away from what is on paper a great urban CUV.
Indeed, most of the complaints are about the hard plastics. They have often compared it to Polo, which is offering much better plastics than T-Roc, in Europe that is ! T-Roc in that way appears to have broken away from the tradition of offering better interiors that any VW car typically offers.
tristis2008 is offline  
Old 19th May 2020, 14:19   #369
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 864
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Here I have pointed to sections where there are complaints about the engine. Have also shared links to videos where its demonstrated. Please search for "Kangaroo effect 1.5TSI Evo Engine" on Youtube and google.In T-Roc forums UK, there seem to be no new complaints especially in 2020 models, unless I have missed to find one. That's a hope, that in India we may not get this issue, if it indeed has been resolved.
The Kangaroo effect was an issue on 2018/19 cars that had manual transmission. The issue was on cold engine on first gear when the clutch was left a tad too quickly. The issue was not on DSG transmissions. It was more to do with clutch and accelerator modulation rather than an actual engine issue.

Last edited by manson : 19th May 2020 at 21:52. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 16:56   #370
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 218
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

The VW India website has updated & corrected the error with regard to the length of the vehicle. It is indeed 4234 MM and not 4342 MM as listed earlier. Also there had been some confusion with regards to the rear suspension. It is now clearly mentioned as independent multilink :-) This is excellent news as this is the suspension a vehicle costing 24-25L (OTR) should get.

The feature list on the TRoc has also been updated on the VW website and it is a pretty exhaustive one. The only thing it misses out on is the powered drivers seat, but it is not really that big a deal. Along with the standard warranty of 4 years , one can also purchase 3 years additional warranty, so you are covered for upto 7 years / 125,000 KMS. Congratulations to everyone who have booked this vehicle as it looks like a really fantastic & a well packaged product !
Attached Thumbnails
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-screenshot-20200521-4.53.45-pm.png  

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-screenshot-20200521-4.53.53-pm.png  


Last edited by Timothy : 21st May 2020 at 17:02. Reason: additional info
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 18:00   #371
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,816
Thanked: 34,072 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Also there had been some confusion with regards to the rear suspension. It is now clearly mentioned as independent multilink :-) This is excellent news as this is the suspension a vehicle costing 24-25L (OTR) should get.
I will still call this as a mistake and won't believe it.

Simple reason is VW worldwide does not make a T-ROC with front wheel drive and independent multilink.

The multilink comes as part of the 4motion AWD system. To top it off the T-ROC comes with 4motion only if you get the 2.0L TSI or the 2.0TDI.

The 1.5L TSI is front wheel drive only.

Being a CBU there is 0% chance of them creating an independent multi link suspension for India for FWD T-ROC.

It is very safe to say T-ROC will be torsion beam non independent rear suspension.

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2020 at 22:14. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:11   #372
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 218
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I will still call this as a mistake and won't believe it.
Hi Vid, I can understand that people incharge of the VW website in India could have made a typo error with regard to the vehicle length 4324 vs actual length of 4234 mm (whether intentional or unintentional, I cannot comment) but its only recently that they have updated both the Skoda & VW India websites with an extensive listing of the details for T Roc. I honestly refuse to believe they could have made a glaring error like listing a fixed torison beam suspension as multilink suspension.

So I just did some research at my end and the 1.5 Tsi T-Roc does indeed come with an independent rear suspension. I am also attaching a picture for your handy reference. Hope this helps:
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-screenshot-20200521-7.56.22-pm.png

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2020 at 22:08. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 23:05   #373
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,816
Thanked: 34,072 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi Vid, I can understand that people incharge of the VW website in India could have made a typo error with regard to the vehicle length 4324 vs actual length of 4234 mm (whether intentional or unintentional, I cannot comment) but its only recently that they have updated both the Skoda & VW India websites with an extensive listing of the details for T Roc. I honestly refuse to believe they could have made a glaring error like listing a fixed torison beam suspension as multilink suspension.
I don't think it's a glaring error at all. The guys updating the website are not technical and neither know what it means by multilink vs torsion beam.

If you see all the walkarounds of the Indian spec haven't even mentioned the suspension. I was not covering the VW stall at the Expo but did cover Skoda and the Karoq was a simple torsion beam when I looked underneath.

Also I would go with reliable sources like this:

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/.../t-roc/driving

Quote:
At least the 4Motion versions have proper multi-link suspension, whereas the front-driver T-Rocs all have simple torsion beam. In a Golf, you get multi-link even with FWD on all but the lowest-power versions.
This is same in Karoq as well. Skoda followed this in the Octavia as well. Anything with 150PS and lower gets torsion beam and above gets multi link.

This is my deduction and I would love to be proven wrong.

Last edited by manson : 22nd May 2020 at 04:21. Reason: Typo
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 23:42   #374
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 218
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is same in Karoq as well. Skoda followed this in the Octavia as well. Anything with 150PS and lower gets torsion beam and above gets multi link.

This is my deduction and I would love to be proven wrong.
Thanks Vid. You guys know these companies better with your vast experience in this field, but honestly I still can't fathom that a company like VW can make a mistake like this. Will keep a look out for this, Cheers !

Last edited by manson : 22nd May 2020 at 04:22. Reason: Typo.
Timothy is offline  
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:52   #375
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 218
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is same in Karoq as well. Skoda followed this in the Octavia as well. Anything with 150PS and lower gets torsion beam and above gets multi link.

This is my deduction and I would love to be proven wrong.
Actually if you look at the old VW Jetta and the Octavia TDI, both had almost identical dimensions and the same 2.0 L Diesel, but the main difference between the two was that the Jetta had a multilink independent rear suspension and the Skoda a torison beam.

I believe the Karoq will come with a torison beam and the T-Roc with an independent multilink. There has to be some perceivable mechanical differentiation between the two and will also allow for Karoq's costs to be kept down, but it is primarily the enthusiasts who will relish the independent suspension.

The T Roc is more for the enthusiasts and Karoq for the family man , hence the additional 3 airbags, powered drivers seat and a bit more space in the latter.
Timothy is offline  
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks