Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 17:27   #796

re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

A quick Google search results this render by SRK Designs of Mahindra Scorpio 2020 model which looks almost the same as the new one which is going to be launched.
Attached Images

Rishu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 21:43   #797
BHPian

Ever since Mahindra released the first ad about the big Daddy, I was praying silently that they come with a clean design. But then they have proved again that a clean Mahindra is an oxymoron. It has to be quirky, it should have numerous shapes and bulges. If the leaked image is anything to go by, I am thoroughly disappointed by the side profile. Front is good though. Just look at Kodiaq. How classy and clean it looks.

I am not sure if the target customers of this car feel that way. May be they find the design appealing. Or may be the aggressive pricing will make them overlook the design. I still have some hope that the actual car will look good. Xuv 700, while still not elegant, is much better than the first leaked image.
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 23:16   #798
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2022 at 07:25.
drpullockaran is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th May 2022, 23:45   #799
BHPian

Guys the recent spy pics on factory floor is for sure, intentional leak. It is distorted. Being a boxy SUV, the effect isn't much pronounced. They are doing what they did with XUV, leak a distorted image and then create a buzz. When the final product launches, let everyone go gaga. Don't believe me? See for yourself...Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-screenshot_202107311337512.jpg
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-screenshot_202107311337582.jpg
There is no camera today that could capture these horrible pics.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 06:25   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Ever since Mahindra released the first ad about the big Daddy, I was praying silently that they come with a clean design. But then they have proved again that a clean Mahindra is an oxymoron.
The day when the sun rises in the west is the day when Mahindra's design team shall come up with a neat and clean design devoid of bulges
tanbeamer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:17   #801

Hi Guys
I need some advice regarding new Scorpio.

Background:
I currently own 2016 BMW X1 expedition for my personal use. I travel 10-20 kms per day only in Raipur City. (Medium size city). My driving experience with bmw has been extra ordinary, thanks to its driver focussed engineering. But the ownership experience has been eye watering because of hefty maintenance costs and non availability of parts. Other car in my house is grand i10 automatic which the lady of the house used for daily commute. Also, my brother owns crysta zx automatic and my parents own fortuner MT, which we use for outstation trips.
I used to drive tata safari dicor, followed by tata Manza as my personal car before buying bmw.

The itch
X1 has clocked 32000 kms in past 5.5 years. It's driving perfectly and is perfectly in shape. But i fear, the ownership costs are going to increase once the car has completed 6 years and will be out of warranty with no option to extend warranty past 6 years. However my running is quite less and is strictly used within city limits. I am happy with the attention i get with bmw wherever I go, but only the person wearing the shoe knows where it bites.

Requirements
Size - I feel comfortable driving a car of size similar to bmw x1. It is spacious as well as easily maneuverable at the same time. To my surprise and joy, i found the current generation Scorpio to be of same size as X1 but with higher ceiling.

Brands - i would like to stay away from European brands because of lack of reliability and poor dealer network, especially in my area.

Cars considered -
Another fortuner - heart over head. i find fortuner to be the best and perfect car in terms of everything eg reliability, road presence, ownership experience and resale value. But it's too big to drive around in city. It is manageable but not comfortable.

i20 nline dct - fun to drive, easy to maintain and easy to drive in city. But it lacks that road presence. Also it feels a little bit odd to drive a regular brand hatch after driving a premium suv

Upcoming Scorpio - road presence is great. Ownership experience is also good as I have read in various posts in team bhp. Not sure about driving pleasure as I haven't driven it in last 15 years. To what I feel, if new Scorpio comes with a perfect coupling of diesel engine and gearbox, it's gonna be fun to drive.

Continue with my X1 - head over heart. As GTO says, it's better to keep present car for a longer time ie 10 years or so to get the maximum value our of it. Also the cost of ownership of X1 in coming years is not going to be more than the depreciation value of a new car.

Guys, please help. Being an enthusiast, this thought always hovers in my mind.
Thanks in advance.

Mods pardon me if I have posted wrong thing in wrong place. I am new to the forum and need your guidance. I will report it somewhere else if it's not the relevant thread to post.
torquelover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:53   #802
BHPian

@ Torquelover

As you already have fortuner for outstation trips, and are looking for a comfortable city car, I recommend giving EVs a try. It can range from waiting for Kia EV6 to settling for MG ZS or even Nexon EV Max. Your running costs and maintenance costs will be a fraction of even normal ICE cars, let alone a BMW. Scorpio isn't comparable to X1 in ease of city driving although dimensions might suggest it only marginally longer than X1. If you don't want EVs, may be present generation Tucson is a worthy buy. All of this is assuming youare getting a good price for X1. Otherwise, better to hold on to it for another 5 years.
DonHyd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:55   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Guys the recent spy pics on factory floor is for sure, intentional leak. It is distorted. Being a boxy SUV, the effect isn't much pronounced. They are doing what they did with XUV, leak a distorted image and then create a buzz. When the final product launches, let everyone go gaga. Don't believe me? See for yourself...Attachment 2308069
Attachment 2308070
Totally agree with you. It's the same trick being used. The last sentence had me rolling on the floor laughing
z_3en is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:59   #804

Thanks DonHyd.
I will go through all the threads abouth EVs.
Your comment about easy of driving of X1 vs Scorpio is an eye opener for me. I will first test drive the new Scorpio before deciding anything
Resale is going to be low i guess, as its with all Germans.

Thanks again
torquelover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 11:26   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
Did they just throw in The Godfather's soundtrack into the teaser?
It sounds really similar, and feels pretty juvenile.
I think Mahindra really needs to find a better marketing/video team.
The problem is that M&M have always been frightfully unoriginal and void of good marketing. First of all the front grill came from the Jeep and there was/is a court case about it. Then came the "Double Oh" where they compared the front to a cheetah. Not only is that animal not found on our subcontinent, the damn car looked nothing like one (in fact it looked overweight - quite the opposite). I still think they could have compared it to a lion and called it the Leo (Bolero, Scorpio, Leo etc).

The use of the GF soundtrack reflects very poorly on the company - it betrays their complete lack of originality and creativity. Let's not even start on the poor quality of acting and visuals in the ad...

But this is something we've seen before. The creative/ad team goes into a huddle to think up something original. They come up with - "Let's use Sachin!!" Loud applause. Another guy says - "No - be different - let's get Amitabh!" Louder applause. "Also we'll use the Godfather theme - who's to know?" The whole team breaks down and cry at their tremendous creativity. The person who came up with this brilliance is duly promoted and we as the audience are left to air our opinion on a portal that the company won't even read, while shaking our heads.

Cheers!
Clouseau is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 11:39   #806
BHPian

Attachment 2307802

The rear door handles are bent in this pic. It seems that the rear portion is morphed to make it look bad. Maybe we will see a proper flow in the official images.

Not defending Mahindra's design choices but this does not seem to be authentic.
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 11:53   #807
BHPian

Camouflaging hides the over-design of non-functional elements very well
Also gives a rounded, mature look to the needless sharper edges that are used on the body.

Its good that our car makers are doing original designs. But maybe sometimes its good to get inspired from Fords and Toyotas for designing SUVs

Hope this doesn't inspire aftermarket camouflage body add-ons!
Old 16th May 2022, 12:06   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Guys the recent spy pics on factory floor is for sure, intentional leak. It is distorted. Being a boxy SUV, the effect isn't much pronounced. They are doing what they did with XUV, leak a distorted image and then create a buzz. When the final product launches, let everyone go gaga. Don't believe me? See for yourself...Attachment 2308069
Attachment 2308070
True words sir , Mahindra has really nailed the process to under promise and over deliver . This is the same case as the XUV 700 , When you look at it for the first time , It looks quite quirky and weird but with time the look's dawn on you .
Hawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 12:25   #809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Attachment 2307802

The rear door handles are bent in this pic.
The chances of that being an optical illusion are much more than the handle being bent. Who would bent a handle, especially when the whole vehicle is visible without any camouflage ?
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 12:39   #810
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, the parts that have the maximum responsibility of any sort in the next gen Scorpio - are the set of black plastic claddings starting from aft of the rear wheel arch, running around the rear of the car under the tailgate over to the other side. This set is hiding the ugliest design decision / imagination in our auto industry since the MG Hector's faux dual exhaust implementation .

The responsibility of keeping the car looking like a "Scorpio" and not a "Xylo" rests squarely on this black cladding area.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th May 2022 at 12:40.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks