Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2022, 11:54   #946
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

The current generation Scorpio is a very well proportioned product (design wise) as compared to the newly launched Scorpio N IMHO.

Infact , Alturas looks better than this newly launched Scorpio.

Infact XUV700 in the 5 seater version ( 7 seater is a joke) is one gem of a car both in looks as well as in performance.

They should have maintained the stance of the current generation Scorpio. Disappointing Job Mahindra.
Old 21st May 2022, 11:55   #947
BHPian

Looks pretty good to me from the front. Much more understated than the usual over-the-top Mahindra designs with cuts and creases everywhere. Nicely done. My hunch is that Mr Bose would've played a role in toning down some of the design flourishes.

Simpler designs tend to age better, for example, I think the Hexa still looks very handsome. So that's one more advantage.

On the Big Daddy positioning: I actually don't mind it. I think this will be a hit with the core Scorpio target segment. Credit to the Mahindra team for knowing their market.

On pricing and positioning within Mahindra's portfolio, here is what I expect:
1. XUV 7OO MX variants will be discontinued once ScorpioN is launched.
2. Higher end variants of Scorpio Classic may be discontinued or prices and features reduced for top end variants.
3. The new ScorpioN will be slotted in between Scorpio Classic and XUV7OO with a generous overlap at both ends. I suppose pricing will be between 11 (introductory) and 22 lacs ex showroom.

On a different note: any XUV 7OO waitlisted folks thinking of booking the ScorpioN and bailing on the XUV7OO? I am in this boat and tempted :-)
charade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 11:57   #948
Senior - BHPian

Big Daddy of SUVs Press Release

Quote:
The All-New Scorpio-N will redefine the D-segment SUV category and has been engineered ground-up
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-20220521_115259.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 21st May 2022 at 12:00.
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 12:12   #949
SRK
Senior - BHPian

A perfect successor to the current Scorpio.

The new model looks butch has has the right kind of muscles. Expecting loads of modified Scorpio N models on road once it gets launched.

Wondering if Mahindra plans to ever launch the 5-door Thar, will people grab it or stick to the new Scorpio 4x4?
SRK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 12:26   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Is it only me or do others also notice an uncanny resemblance to the Alturas G4?
I came here looking for this. Looking at the pics, seems like Alturus is being rebadged as Scorpio? Its a but difficult to make out the size from just pictures.
SedanGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 13:07   #951
BHPian

Although it looks a lot like the Alturas from the front grill and lights, the overall look is decent. The last row as per the pics, will be too tight and only for small kids though.

Will definitely sell in numbers and anyone looking to buy should book it now or again wait for end of 2023 delivery.
Old 21st May 2022, 13:09   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR View Post
I have always liked the looks of the Scorpio but what stopped me from buying it was its poor safety, as can be seen in the attached pic.

I am sure that the new Scorpio N will have an excellent crash rating, but what about the old Scorpio Classic? Will Mahindra make any changes to the structure of the Scorpio Classic to make it as safety-compliant as the new Scorpio N? I can't buy an unsafe car just because it looks good.
When I was in Manali, back in Fed 2022 and on our way back from Manali to Kullu, we stopped at the road-side shops selling Pickles. Me and my Wife were in this shop and immediately behind us was the current gen scorpio standing with front fascia and the bonnet camouflaged.

When we were going back to our Thar and I took out the Phone to capture the pictures, the driver immediately rushed. So I am expecting there will be changes to the current gen of Scorpio. The variant was not covered else where but only front. It looked like an S5 variant as had no side cladding or alloy wheels.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 13:28   #953
BHPian

Seems like they have taken the design out of all their cars and mashed it out to create this vehicle. A bit of Alturas, a bit of XUV500, a dash of xylo for the BOF with the trims of the old scorpio and the genie has pulled out this from the hat. It's a very confusing car/SUV/MUV which cant make up its mind wat it wants to be and it shows very glaringly. Also, the looks are very dated to put it mildly. The irony is that it will still sell in decent numbers.
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 13:34   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will Mahindra make any changes to the structure of the Scorpio Classic
In all probability, they already have. In 2019 the Government applied UN R94-equivalent offset impact regulation. Doesn't mean anything in Global NCAP, a competitive consumer-information test whose head/neck/chest criteria to even avoid zero stars are more demanding than the UN's passing requirements, but the 2016 Scorpio result is no longer valid and the car would have to be retested (it could result in a similar outcome but we can never say unless it's retested).

Mahindra went through something similar with the Scorpio-based Pik-Up in Australasia.

2008: frontal score would imply equivalent 0 star Global NCAP result (2-star ANCAP only because it was awarded maximum side impact points for a high enough driver R-point).
Name:  large.gif
Views: 550
Size:  44.3 KB

2012: equivalent to a 2-star Global NCAP adult protection result
Name:  small.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  73.5 KB

There was an intermediate version in between with airbags but the older structure. It would be unwise to assume this reflects the performance of the updated (previous-gen) Indian Scorpio but it shows that the model is capable of being improved and likely has been. If it wasn't, it would have stopped sales in 2019 with the Omni etc.

Quote:
I am sure that the new Scorpio N will have an excellent crash rating
Let's see about that. The pressure is high, ever since they sent out that teaser media outlets have been expecting five stars. But then there's what happened with the Thar. They say they were targeting three and achieved four in a later decision, but I think that was just to make the outcome seem more impressive. It looks they were targeting five stars and extra rewards for the Thar (they sponsored most extra tests) but the footwell ruptured in the frontal impact so they were denied kneemapping privileges leading to a four star result.

For the Scorpio N, Mahindra have three days between the launch and the GNCAP's brand new assessment protocols coming in. Sure, it will have six airbags and probably ESC too (optional equipment now allowed if sold in enough volumes), but passing the pole test etc. means that unless Mahindra hurries testing, a high result will be quite a lot more challenging than it used to be.

Last edited by ron178 : 21st May 2022 at 13:37.
ron178 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 13:51   #955
BHPian

Actual car aside, Mahindra’s strategy seems sound - occupy all price points with different offerings. Once you walk in the showroom there will be enough choice of price, engine, fuel, design so higher chance of getting converted. Just what Maruti did with compacts.
prnvaa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 14:24   #956
BHPian

The Scorpio N is going the Kia Carens way. SUV’ish MUV.

Also, reminds of the Marrazzo in the side profile. This is a clever move by Mahindra as the large MUV market has found traction in recent years. The predicted pricing now seem possible with Scorpio Classic being sold side by side.
Old 21st May 2022, 14:31   #957
BHPian

So the big Daddy is finally out now - partially I mean.

The Good/Decent:
Like the overall stance of the vehicle. Nothing dramatic and so will age well I feel. Feels like the current gen Scorpio has become more mature. I was never a big fan of the current design.
No overdone blings and design quirks which one usually associates with M&M vehicles...so thats relief. More like the old Land Cruiser - proportionate with a fine balance of maturity and aggressiveness.

Also liked the name - I dont really mind what they call it to be honest. But the integration of the sting in the fog lamps and side around C pillars were fantastic - nice job deisgn team!

Several indications that safety has been a key focus - wouldn't be surprised if this gets a 5*. Way to go Mahindra!

The Bad:
The commercial teaser was definitely cringe worthy. Overdid the Big Daddy theme a lot.

Unknown:
The rear - No pics as of now which makes me worried. Are they hiding the ignominy in their design? Will await more clearer pics.

Boot space - One of the pics showed the last row right up against the rear windscreen. Could be the photo angle, so will reserve comments till all is revealed.

Finally pricing - A lot would depend on this for many folks I guess. But given the current gen will continue to sell, the ScoprioN will be positioned higher.
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 15:03   #958
BHPian

The design is a little disappointing. The front end looks rather silly and myopic. The old Scorpio was the real deal. Now the XUV 700 looks way better in my opinion. And what’s with the “N” badge? Reminds me of the i20 N-line. Nuh-uh…
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 16:00   #959
Senior - BHPian

Looks :
Are subjective and I actually like the front-side profile of the vehicle, looks handsome and not overdone (ignoring the DRLs).
Will have to wait for a review for real world pics to see the rear and how it all comes together.
But whatever our opinion is this look is going to sell.

N :
Why can't it be Neo, like the Bolero. Would at least fit a pattern

Safety :
IIRC, Either during their new roadmap unveil or during the Thar crash tests, Mr. Nakra or someone from Mahindra top management had said that any new vehicles from us will be at least 4 stars. I believe this will be no different and should be more towards 5 stars. Will wait for the results.

Waiting for our review to know further.

Last edited by shancz : 21st May 2022 at 16:00. Reason: Typos
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 16:03   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
I would like to point out that the additional boot space comes at the cost of additional length.
Anyone who needs a Mahindra with more boot space and 7 seats, can always go for Marazzo. Scorpio is not meant for them.
Exactly my point. The length of the chassis directly influences the boot space, but whether it is a BoF or a Unibody can not be the deciding factor for whether a car can have a boot space or not.

And I beg to disagree on one common solution - Marazzo to anyone who needs a Mahindra and want boot space.
My current ride is a 2010 Scorpio SLE and I love it to the core. Does it have a crappy boot space? - YES. I still use it and love it for its other capabilities.

From the spy shots, does the boot for ScorpioN look small / same as the previous gen? - YES. But I would still be willing to trade my current one for the 2022 ScorpioN.

I don't really need a Mahindra. But what I need is a rugged Ladder Frame, butch looking RWD SUV (not necessarily a 4X4 and definitely not a FWD crossover) with a great GC just like my Scorpio and is capable of seating 5 adults and a large dog. And the most important, something that is affordable for me (read: Fortuner is out of my reach). So, yes, Scorpio it is, and not a Marazzo.

On the other hand, does it hurt that there is no boot space? - A BIG YES! But hey, we gain some, we lose some. It is a gamble.
msarunms1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks