Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2022, 12:47   #976
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Mahindra does it again, trademarking a name to be pronounced in a particular manner. And then the public pronounces it as desired.

3OO, 5OO, 7OO- three hundred, five hundred, seven hundred.

Scorpio N- SCORPION!
lemedico is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 14:36   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Scorpio-N, more of it again!

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-9.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-8.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-1.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-2.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-3.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-5.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-6.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-7.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-10.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd May 2022 at 14:46.
volkman10 is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 15:00   #978
Senior - BHPian

I think we're off the mark when we compare the Scorpio N with Alturas G4, Endeavour, Fortuner, etc. Those are from the D2 segment!

The Scorpio (the current one) is positioned in the C2 segment, along with Creta, Alcazar, Seltos, Kushaq, Taigun, Astor.

The current D1 segment "SUV" are the likes of XUV7OO, Harrier, Safari, Compass, Hector. And what Mahindra is doing is positioning the Scorpio N along with them.

There will be overlapping with 7OO - but will drive and behave differently (BoF Scorpio N vs. Monocoque 7OO), will have different tech (large screens in 7OO) etc.

Will there be cannibalization then - if you ask this, then ask yourself if someone who buys a Seltos or Creta will consider the current Scorpio! In terms of price, yes - there is an overlap, but I'll doubt if someone wanting a suave "SUV" will like rugged SUV.

As for the looks, positioning, etc. - I've seen BHPians trip over themselves for the XUV5OO, Thar, XUV7OO, and now the Scorpio N. And guess what's the market verdict for each of three launched in that list?!

Maybe M&M assesses the success of their new launches based on our criticism
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
They still can design it better by adding a tailgate-mounted spare wheel. See what Ford has done with Ecosport.

Attachment 2310501
You might have something there. SUVs with tailgate mounted spare have inherently had swing-open rears, rather than hatches that open upward - Thar, Ecosport, etc. Maybe M&M might pull a rabbit outta the Scorpio N's spare wheel mounting?! Wishful thinking - but that would give it serious Ooomph!
ph03n!x is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 16:26   #979
BHPian

As a 2015 XUV 500 driver who has done 1.35 lakhs KM and covered all the states of India in my car, this seems like a worthy upgrade. The added 4X4 abilities will definitely help me go further.

The design for me personally is a no non sense design and definitely will make heads turn. Looking forward to book it soon.

Also will Mahindra go for online bookings anyway after the disaster XUV 700 had, my brother still hasn't received his AX 7L Petrol automatic which he booked on October 10th.

A number of people online are claiming the unofficial bookings of the Scorpio N have started. Anyone in the forum made such unofficial booking or are there any dealers in Delhi NCR accepting such bookings, as per my findings no dealers has started the booking process. is there any truth to such claims?
kushgandhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 17:10   #980
BHPian

I own scorpio for more than 15 years now. When it was launched, I was in the initial years of my career and it became my dream car from the day I saw this beast on the road. I went and bought one in 2006 when it was way beyond my budget. However, one of my best decisions on vehicles front so far.

Needless to say that it is all heart for me when It comes to scorpio. Not only for me but for my 13 year old kids. They still insist to be driven around in good old scorpio which they have fondly named "Bobby Bhaiya", while now I have couple of other decent options in my garage.

So for me, it is just about getting new scorpio-N home the earliest I could. No questions asked.
alokk0912 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 18:17   #981
BHPian

With my XUV 7OO booking showing delivery dates between 27 Feb and 28 March,2024, am seriously looking at the Scorpio-N as the best alternative! Hope the shortage/delayed supply of chips doesn't end up in creating yet another long waitlist for the new launch!! Keeping fingers crossed...
Old 22nd May 2022, 20:08   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Scorpio-N, more of it again!

Attachment 2311431
Going by the picture, leg room in the third row looks decent even for average sized adults. Overall the new Mahindra looks quite spacious.

Mahindra have done extremely well in keeping the design less extravagant and more purposeful. Now pricing is the key and I don't think Mahindra will falter in this regard.

Last edited by Emvi : 22nd May 2022 at 20:09.
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 21:15   #983
BHPian

The interior images looks much more contemporary than the previous gen and it blurs the difference between the current scorpio and the erstwhile Xuv500. To me, the ScorpioN looks like a mix of the old Scorpio and Text on from the side profile, and headlights.

Leg space looks good for the middle and rear rows. Buckets seats are also a positive change. The interior door handles somewhat resemble Harrier's/Cretas if you notice the 3rd pic in Volkman's post. I hope the middle row comes with sliding seats.

Mahindra's Achilles heel has always been boots place and they've never changed that in the last 2 decades! Hope they bring a fix for this.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 21:21   #984
BHPian

My personal opinion about the looks of the new Scorpio N:

Front : Personally I like it much better than the older looks, IMO this looks like an old Prado design in terms of proportions and size

Side: Again good squarish SUV looks with neatly integrated Scorpio tail, nothing to complain about.

Rear: Rear design seems to be getting a lot of criticism currently but in isolation it should look acceptable if not as good as front. Tail lamps remind me of Volvo XC90 which is not a bad design so shouldn't be a deal breaker I guess, final opinion to be formed only after seeing it in flesh.

If, Mahindra has improved this by as much as the difference between XUV500 and 700, especially the ride and handling part, we have a good car here.
46TheDoctor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 21:44   #985
sbm
BHPian

The side profile looks more SUVish than a people mover UV and those interiors seem to be highly improved over current gen. Prima fascia, they look at par with current gen Creta. Although I am in the market for a 5 seater crossover, it won't hurt to own a full size SUV if the driving dynamics more car like compared to the current Scorpio. Anyone has any idea about a 5 seater version of this?
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 22:06   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Maybe M&M might pull a rabbit outta the Scorpio N's spare wheel mounting?! Wishful thinking - but that would give it serious Ooomph!
I wish but that involves substantial changes to the rear now. They will have to move the number plate to bumper now and I am sure the moulds for rear bumper must have been finalized.

One thing I am not sure - What is the advantage of side-opening door vs opening to the top? I thought the side opening helped side-facing 3rd row seats. With 3rd row too facing to the front, I am not sure what is the advantage of this design cue?
Old 22nd May 2022, 22:14   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post

Also will Mahindra go for online bookings anyway after the disaster XUV 700 had, my brother still hasn't received his AX 7L Petrol automatic which he booked on October 10th.
I doubt Mahindra will do away with the same process of XUV7OO. With so much potential demand and no-short term solution for semiconductors, online is at least offering some sanity to the purchase process. Imagine everything offline, its one's political connections/referrals/loud mouth/follow-ups/showroom friends vs. rest of the world. With Scorpio-N & New Tucson getting ready in the next few weeks, the segment will have more options now and this should help the lead times.
Old 22nd May 2022, 23:25   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
One thing I am not sure - What is the advantage of side-opening door vs opening to the top? I thought the side opening helped side-facing 3rd row seats. With 3rd row too facing to the front, I am not sure what is the advantage of this design cue?
I can think of two reasons:
1. They might have planned jump seats at the back in lower/ mid variant, but had to drop the idea due to GNCAP, same as in Thar AX.

2. The height of the ScorpioN is more. The top opening door may open out too much and will need more space. And it will be difficult for shorter people to pull it down to close.
Old 23rd May 2022, 00:13   #989
BHPian

In my view the vehicle looks good and contemporary. They have obviously used the learnings from SsanYong. A manufacturer who sells just 50 ~ 60K copies a year develops this level of vehicle, there must be very few parallels in the world. Bravo Mahindra and keep it up.
Old 23rd May 2022, 00:31   #990
BHPian

Would be curious to know what were Pratap Bose’s inputs in this design.

This Doesnt seem revolutionary unlike Tatas had with the harrier and Gravitas.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks