Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2022, 10:44   #1051
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
I personally will never consider Scorpio Classic in 2022 considering it had scored 0 stars in crash test back in 2015.
That zero was due to testing of a model without an airbag. I don't think they sell that bare bones version anymore.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...NO-Airbags.pdf
ohaak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 11:44   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
Do any of you know when will be (drive on road) reviews of new scorpio will be available, what kind of timelines one can expect (days, weeks, months)
Media drives are scheduled for June 27th, so should be within few days of that.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-mediadrives.png
tarunjain is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 11:44   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
That zero was due to testing of a model without an airbag. I don't think they sell that bare bones version anymore.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...NO-Airbags.pdf
Thanks ohaak for the reply and the doc . I agree there will be 2 airbags now. But, the test result says, " The passengers’ knees could impact with dangerous structures in the dashboard. The bodyshell was rated as unstable and can not withstand further loadings." Its still not up to the mark for such a powerful SUV in 2022.

God knows why such unsafe vehicles still selling in India when accident rates are sky high. Last month minister Gadkari said, India ranks number 1 as per number of persons killed and ranks number 3 as per number of persons injured in road accidents. As per some report, India has the highest number of casualties in road accidents, there are 53 road accidents in the country every hour and one death every four minutes.

Pardon me for deviating the topic, but I think its important
sulliavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 13:04   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

New pics of its interiors?

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-2022mahindrascorpioninteriorsteering900x506.png

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-2022scorpioninteriorcentrestack900x506.png

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 752
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  53.9 KB

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th May 2022 at 13:08.
volkman10 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 16:16   #1055
Senior - BHPian

2022 Mahindra Scorpio-N production to begin in June

Mahindra has confirmed that the series production of the Scorpio-N will commence in June 2022.

The Scorpio-N was unveiled earlier this month. The SUV is set to go on sale on June 27, 2022. It will be sold alongside the current model, which will be rebadged as the Scorpio Classic.

The Scorpio-N features a completely new front fascia while retaining its macho looks. It has a wide radiator grille with the brand's signature chrome elements and dual-pod LED headlamps on either side. At the rear, the Scorpio-N gets a side-hinged tailgate and Volvo-inspired tail lamp clusters.

The new SUV will be offered in a range of petrol and diesel engine options, with a choice of manual and automatic transmissions. The SUV will also get a 4x4 option.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 18:08   #1056
sbm
BHPian

Training for sales advisors is going to start from 1st week of June. Hoping to get more info afterwards.
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 20:51   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally will never consider Scorpio Classic in 2022 considering it had scored 0 stars in crash test.
Ouch, be a little kind my friend. There are a owners who still own and drive it around.

Quote:
God knows why such unsafe vehicles still selling in India when accident rates are sky high. Last month minister Gadkari said, India ranks number 1 as per number of persons killed and ranks number 3 as per number of persons injured in road accidents.
And do you have a report of how many in that are caused by a 0 star Scorpio? I bet the numbers would be negligible when you compare the number of Scorpios out there on the road and the number of kms each of them have put compared to the others which have have got 2/3/4/5 stars. So it does not necessarily mean that every 0 star vehicles goes and crashes out there.

For that matter, don't you step out as a pedestrian with 0 stars with a high probability of getting hit than while being on a vehicle! Check out our accidents in India thread.

Sorry, went OT.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 30th May 2022 at 20:58.
balenoed_ is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 21:14   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
God knows why such unsafe vehicles still selling in India when accident rates are sky high. Last month minister Gadkari said, India ranks number 1 as per number of persons killed and ranks number 3 as per number of persons injured in road accidents. As per some report, India has the highest number of casualties in road accidents, there are 53 road accidents in the country every hour and one death every four minutes.
While the concern is understandable, when it comes to safety Mahindra is no Maruti. All it's recent launches have come with good safety ratings, and the upcoming Scorpion will be no exception.

The classic on the other hand is a 2 decade old legacy design that keeps cheating retirement due to it's continuing market popularity. In due course I'm sure Mahindra will look to replace Scorpio sales altogether with the newer Scorpion.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 21:15   #1059
BHPian

I have owned and driven the old Scorpio for 2.5 lac kms and I still miss the vehicle. The commanding presence, the compact footprint and the ability to go anywhere. Recently had a discussion with my father and he was like we should get a Scorpio as soon as a new one comes in.
That's the loyalty old Scorpio commands, had a fuss free ownership experience.
Mannu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 21:49   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Ouch, be a little kind my friend. There are a owners who still own and drive it around.
You have completely misread my message I am not targeting one car here. Its about companies planning to sell old structurally unsafe vehicles in 2022 (even after their new and improved versions are getting launched).

There are many like me who would give safety a priority when buying a new car

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2022 at 10:08. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks for the support & understanding
sulliavi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 22:09   #1061
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
One thing is clear from these pics, depth of the dashboard ( distance between touchscreen and windscreen) is small just like that in current Scorpio. Personally, I found the Scorpio's dashboard peculiar.
sbm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 22:11   #1062
BHPian

Not sure what all these new launches really mean. No manufacturer is able to keep a steady delivery pipeline. All the new launches in the last last year have been more like curtain raisers. The XUV700 is 12 months away, the new Maruti launches are at least 4 -5 months away, the Tata EVs are another 6 months. The Skoda Kodiaq is anybody's guess, The new Kias are at least 4 - 6 months.
The eagerness to showcase a launch, keep the interest piqued seems more important than real customer satisfaction. If you go any showroom today, unless you are buying a 2 year old model nothing is available in an acceptable timeframe. Given the popularity for Scorpio, the renewed interest in a new looking (maybe feeling too) model, Mahindra's poor electronics supply chain this will get added to the list of showroom only models. Hope, I am proven wrong, but for genuine buyers, the launch in these times is really a damper than an exciting event.
man_and_machine is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 22:22   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
And do you have a report of how many in that are caused by a 0 star Scorpio? I bet the numbers would be negligible when you compare the number of Scorpios out there on the road and the number of kms each of them have put compared to the others which have have got 2/3/4/5 stars. So it does not necessarily mean that every 0 star vehicles goes and crashes out there.

For that matter, don't you step out as a pedestrian with 0 stars with a high probability of getting hit than while being on a vehicle! Check out our accidents in India thread.

Sorry, went OT.
Sorry to continue OT, but one would hope that the Scorpio Classic matches up to Mahindra's current focus on safety - to at least some degree.
Can it be done? One would hope so, the pick-up truck exported to Australia managed 3 stars in the ANCAP tests, before the Indian version's test at GNCAP. Importantly, the frame stays stable (the driver's knees are still in trouble though). Point is a better performance is possible. One would hope Mahindra aims for that for the Classic (if they haven't already updated the India spec car).

P.S. I understand that the newer norms will push the posts further.
da_lowrider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 22:48   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ohaak for the reply and the doc . I agree there will be 2 airbags now. But, The bodyshell was rated as unstable and can not withstand further loadings." Its still not up to the mark for such a powerful SUV in 2022.
You might want to consider reading my post from some time ago explaining why Mahindra would no longer legally be able to sell a car with crashworthiness performance of the 2016 Scorpio (that does not mean it would score very well in Global NCAP, which is still a competitive consumer-information test more violent than our new crashworthiness regulations; a fully type-approved car can still score zero stars).

Quote:
the test result says, " The passengers’ knees could impact with dangerous structures in the dashboard.
That is not as important as it seems. It does not mean that the knees actually made hard contact with the dashboard, but that there were hard points behind the fascia that can potentially concentrate forces on the knees of occupants of different sizes or those sat in different positions. You will find it in even in some five star cars. The solution involves equipping the car with a dual pretensioning system and the manufacturer opting to perform a series of complex sled tests with differently sized occupants to contest the penalties. It's an expensive and time-consuming procedure and there are a lot of prerequisites the Scorpio probably wouldn't meet, so it would be kind of ridiculous to expect Mahindra to do it for an old model like the Scorpio Classic.

The zero star result for the Scorpio had nothing to do with the knees or feet but had to do with a moderate probability of serious or critical injuries to critical body regions, the head and chest, which results in zero points and stars regardless of other body parts. Fitment of an airbag and better crashworthiness performance thanks to new regulations opens the possibility of the Scorpio Classic not scoring zero stars.

Quote:
The bodyshell was rated as unstable and can not withstand further loadings.
That again is not as dangerous as it seems. Empirically the critical baseline for airbags to function as intended is that the passenger compartment maintains its shape, i.e., steering column and hinge-pillar movements are well-controlled (these are included in both tests). This was not the case with the old Scorpio but is likely to be with 2019+ models that meet new regulations. An unstable passenger compartment is indicative of poor repeatability of intrusion and not bad structural performance itself. Not a good thing, but not necessarily that far off from 'stable' either.

What the Government's test doesn't include, and where I expect the Scorpio N to have a significant advantage over the Classic, is injuries to less critical body regions like the feet (not life-threatening but potentially disabling). Like the Creta for example.

Quote:
He mentioned at the start of the post that it was a personal choice.

Last edited by ron178 : 30th May 2022 at 22:51.
ron178 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 09:38   #1065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have completely misread my message I am not targeting one car here. Its about companies planning to sell old structurally unsafe vehicles in 2022 (even after their new and improved versions are getting launched).

There are many like me who would give safety a priority when buying a new car
Demand / Supply situation.

When the need is for a vehicle that takes you to places other vehicles cannot in a reliable manner and most importantly - take you back home - in a hurry.

I would choose that capability over NCAP rating anyday and so does everyone else who needs something like it. There is good reason this vehicle has been on sale for 20 years, along with its smaller cousin, Bolero.

Similarly there are specific markets that exists throughout India which urbanites have no clue about - Force Toofan has a market which only that vehicle can cater to, Old DI jeeps have a market, Old Marshalls , there is even a market for Xylo which Innova cannot fulfil, it simply will be too expensive to run an Innova in such places but a Xylo would do just fine.

Safety isn't something that is exclusive to crash worthiness but agree the drama is a good seller of that point , some so called safe vehicles are very prone to crashes due to premature wear of bits that keep the vehicle on the road.
Kosfactor is offline   (30) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks