Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2022, 19:58   #1111
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Some details shared by a birdie:-

- 172BHP/370Nm for diesel 6-speed MT. Same power for 6-speed AT, but with 400Nm torque.
- 197BHP petrol. Same as 7OO.
- AT with 18-inch dual tone alloy wheels, MT with 17-inch dual tone alloy wheels.
- Ground Clearance 205mm.
- Rear penta-link suspension with FSDs.
- Optional 4-Mode 4x4.
- Handles up to 47 degrees of descent and 57 degrees of ascent on a steep slope easily.
- Fantastic approach & departure angles. Exact figures in a day or two.
- High speed handling, cornering and road manners well sorted.
- Full LED front foglamps surrounded by full LED "Scorpion tail" DRLs.
- Latest Gen ESP suite with all features. Traction Control, Hill Descent Control, etc. same as 7OO.
- 6 Airbags.
- Dual Zone Climate Control.
- Brown leatherette interiors, including brown dual-tone finish leather seats.
- 12-speaker Sony system with 3D sound staging. Same as 7OO.
- Android Auto & Apple CarPlay.
- Driver drowsiness detection.
- Tilt & telescopic steering wheel.
- Push button Start/Stop.
- Normal sunroof.
- Normal cruise control.
- No ADAS or related features.
- 7 colour shades - White, Silver, Black (Napoli), Red (Rage), Blue (new), Green & Gold (Brushed).

More info as and when I get them.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th June 2022 at 20:03. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (160) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 23:33   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

- Optional 4-Mode 4x4.
Thanks alot for sharing the details. Does this mean no low range as quoted in Autocar article ?
Bluebird_7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 00:10   #1113
BHPian

Has the booking opened?

Last edited by Sheel : 5th June 2022 at 08:49. Reason: Please capitalize your starting word. Thanks.
Old 5th June 2022, 00:27   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Why isn’t Mahindra showing the rear portion of the car in any of their teasers, or have I missed noticing it? Quite strange! Car is a looker from all angles otherwise.
gururajrv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 01:44   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
Thanks alot for sharing the details. Does this mean no low range as quoted in Autocar article ?
That’s my exact concern. Hope that is not true and it offers a low range on some modes like rock mode.

Giving a proper low range gear box and a rear locking differential like the thar and even the bolero neo will take this cars off road capabilities through the roof.

All we can do is wait a few more weeks. For the official announcements.
Old 5th June 2022, 02:15   #1116
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertknight73 View Post
All this starters for what?
The main course of my post is the guidance I want from expert, amateur, experienced chefs like you.
I want to gift a car to my father.

Issues:
1. His birthday is in July last week, the car has to be his birthday gift.
2. I want him to go safe wherever he goes, safety takes priority and kicks out Korean spices and the Indo-Japanese tinned beans from the recipe.
3. I don�t want him to make random runs to the workshops to get minor niggles and issues fixed, so decently reliable vehicle required.
4. It got to be BIG , he�s lived a humble life and now I want him to be in a car that suits his status quo.
5. He is an inquisitive child and loves to play with technology, so adequately specced vehicle with android auto as mandatory requirement.
6. Has to be tough, these wheels will be visiting the rural regions of India hence the potholes and broken roads have to be at peace with the car, low slung sedans I�m sorry!
7. Sales and service networks: Tier 3 town reduces availability of the essential care the car requires, so brand must have well spread out network.
8. Budget: 30 lakhs. Cannot extend beyond that.

You want pizza with all the toppings,but there is shortage of supply for many of them.Do you compromise on toppings and get it faster or wait to get your desired pizza?

There will be divided opinions.few of us are hungry and would not bother about exquisite taste of toppings,but others are very particular about what they want.They will argue and leave the restaurent to eat parantha/dosa instead.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th June 2022 at 08:50. Reason: Mod note attached.
Gaddibuddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 06:02   #1117
BHPian

Quote:

- 172BHP/370Nm for diesel 6-speed MT. Same power for 6-speed AT, but with 400Nm torque.
- 197BHP petrol. Same as 7OO.
- AT with 18-inch dual tone alloy wheels, MT with 17-inch dual tone alloy wheels.
- Ground Clearance 205mm.
- Optional 4-Mode 4x4.
- Handles up to 47 degrees of descent and 57 degrees of ascent on a steep slope easily.
- 7 colour shades - White, Silver, Black (Napoli), Red (Rage), Blue (new), Green & Gold (Brushed).

More info as and when I get them.
Any idea on actual tyre size for the AT 4x4 model?
P.s.
Dual zone is also visible in the leaked interior pics.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-a3ebf333099b440eab53a91ecebfbfb9.jpeg

Last edited by Sheel : 5th June 2022 at 08:51. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 10:09   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
Unusual for tyre sizes to be different on manual and automatic transmissions... is this a typo? (possibly different on lower and higher variants - MX vs AX?)

Quote:
- High speed handling, cornering and road manners well sorted.
This is music to my ears. If this can come close to the ride quality of XUV 7OO, that would be something!
tarunjain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 11:41   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post

This is music to my ears. If this can come close to the ride quality of XUV 7OO, that would be something!
I am not sure this is good or bad, XUV700 owners are complaining of suspension noise and thud on rough roads, not sure its because of limited travel or FSD but for a vehicle that is designed to go offroad this is a bummer. I will rather compromise some comfort to have a quieter and more articulate suspension.
Bluebird_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 11:44   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure this is good or bad, XUV700 owners are complaining of suspension noise and thud on rough roads, not sure its because of limited travel or FSD but for a vehicle that is designed to go offroad this is a bummer. I will rather compromise some comfort to have a quieter and more articulate suspension.
You are right. If it comes at the cost of off-roading experience / ability, probably not suitable in a scorpio then. I was hoping (wishing) for best of both worlds.
Old 5th June 2022, 14:13   #1121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does this mean no low range as quoted in Autocar article ?
Will confirm this and get back. But there's a strong possibility that the L-shifter will be limited to the Thar only, since the Scorpio might end up becoming an occasional off-roader like the 7OO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Any idea on actual tyre size for the AT 4x4 model?
18-incher. Same as the 7OO.

No, it won't be an AT tyre like the Thar or the Gurkha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
Unusual for tyre sizes to be different on manual and automatic transmissions... is this a typo? (possibly different on lower and higher variants - MX vs AX?)
Most probably shodded that way on the models shown so as to say that both tyre sizes will be on offer across the range. I am sure top variants will get 18-inchers, while the rest below get 17-inchers.

Quote:
XUV700 owners are complaining of suspension noise and thud on rough roads, not sure its because of limited travel or FSD but for a vehicle that is designed to go offroad this is a bummer.
The 7OO's suspension sure has it's share of bumps and thuds on rough, uneven roads at slow speeds. Where it comes in it's own and shines is higher speeds.

The Scorpio-N, being a BOF offering, might have changes to it's suspension to make it more pliant and stable.

Birdie kept praising the cornering grip of the Scorpio-N and high speed stability to no end. We shall know better in the days to come, once the media drives are out in full force.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th June 2022 at 14:15. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 14:16   #1122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Some XUV 700 owners may be regretting their decision of getting that car, seeing the list of features to be offered on the Scorpio N, possibly at a cheaper price point and also without the expensive ADAS baggage. I really like the fact that the Scorpio does not venture into the ADAS territory, I continue to believe this technology is not smart enough for the chaotic Indian roads at this point and most owners of XUV 700 that I know seem to be driving with these features switched off.

The fact that the states of engine tunes on the Scorpio are higher than what was originally anticipated (172HP/400NM on Diesel and 200HP/380NM on Petrol), is really encouraging. M & M could easily have gone ahead and given us a lower tunes (such as the 155HP/360NM from the XUV MX Diesel) on the Scorpio, and people would still be happy,. But if the news above is true, then offering the full Enchilada with the 200 HP tune of the petrol engine would make this a firecracker BOF SUV. The Diesel Tune of 172 HP seems to be calibrated to establish a bit of one-up-man-ship on the Harrier & Safari twins, which have 170HP. No one but Mahindra does this in India - most auto makers in India try to make do by offering the lower power tunes on the cheaper models far as possible.

The absence of low range gear box is a downer. Hopefully they will have an extreme off-road edition such as the Trailhawk on the Jeep line-up with this feature ion the future.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 5th June 2022 at 14:19.
84.monsoon is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 14:27   #1123
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
XUV 700 owners may be regretting their decision of getting that car, seeing the list of features to be offered on the Scorpio N. I really like the fact that the Scorpio does not venture into the ADAS territory, I continue to believe this technology is not smart enough for the chaotic Indian roads at this point and most owners of XUV 700 that I know seem to be driving with these features switched off.

The fact that the states of engine tunes on the Scorpio are higher than what was originally anticipated (172HP/400NM on Diesel and 200HP/380NM on Petrol), is really encouraging. M & M could easily have gone ahead and given us a lower tunes (such as the 155HP/360NM from the XUV MX Diesel) on the Scorpio, and people would still be happy,. But if the news above is true, then offering the full Enchilada with the 200 HP tune of the petrol engine would make this a firecracker BOF SUV. The Diesel Tune of 172 HP seems to be calibrated to establish a bit of one-up-man-ship on the Harrier & Safari twins, which have 170HP. No one but Mahindra does this in India - most auto makers in India try to make do by offering the lower power tunes on the cheaper models far as possible.

The absence of low range gear box is a downer. Hopefully they will have an extreme off-road edition such as the Trailhawk on the Jeep line-up with this feature ion the future.
A few days back I was talking to a few colleagues of mine about how good the upcoming ScorpioN is going to be. After I explained everything, one of them said that Scorpio will always be looked upon as a taxi or a people mover car and all other agreed. You see, there is a image associated with every car, Scorpio is looked upon as a car for local politicians and cab operators and that's why there is a market for XUV. Most people don't know about the difference in ride quality and even the difference between BOF and monocoque, they just go by the image of the car. I am not generalsing but doctors, engineers and other professionals professionals will tend to prefer XUV while contractors, politicians and others would like the Scorpio. Just my analysis of how people perceive cars.
sbm is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 15:46   #1124
BHPian

I think this new gen Scorpio will go a long way towards changing the current image of Scorpio. very much like the new THAR did. There will be a lot of first-time Mahindra buyers.*
Although there is not an iota of doubt that it will sell, this time the target audience will be widespread, which might lead to unimaginable demand.
Possible reasons for the turnaround:
1. A more proportionate/sophisticated look while retaining the butch/tall boy stance.
2. Substantial advancements in interior design and fit-and-finish
3. The first appearance of an AT box and a gasoline engine
4. As is the norm nowadays, disruptive pricing by Mahindra leads to cross-shopping. For example, all I need is a crossover to upgrade, but I don't mind a butch BOF with 7 seats*for the same price.
5. In the 15–20 lakh price range, there aren't many 4/5-star crash-tested options. (assuming SCORPION is a 5 star).
6. Changed buyer's perspective regarding Mahindra as a brand I visited a Mahindra showroom 6 years back; it was worse than a government or municipal office, but not anymore. Even Merc owners are now stopping by to see how the new Thar/700 is doing.
7.Finally, tired customers of XUV700 jump over to SCORPION (although we might see similar waiting periods eventually).
Indepth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 20:33   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- No ADAS or related features.
That's music for people wanting butch SUV with no nonsense. Mahindra seems to be making all the right moves.
amol4184 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks