Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2022, 09:23   #931
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

You can't buy a Scorpio now, either you have to buy the ScorpioN or a Scorpio Classic, but not Scorpio.
Huh...so much for "protecting" a name.
jkaushik is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 09:42   #932
Distinguished - BHPian

Very unimaginative design and naming. It is like they called a 30 minute meeting on what to name this SUV, almost ran out of time, and someone said why don't we add the N back to make a full Scorpion? While both make for bad car names, Scorpio sounds a tad better to me than scorpion (scorpions are slow, ugly and hated, so why name a car after them?)

The design is highly inspired by the Fortuner on the front 3 quarters. But it somehow looks like they stopped developing the design after some point and sent the rough draft drawings to the factory! I thought XUV hada sharper and more coherent design.

I hope they price this one aggressively, with a low starting price for the Diesel just below that of the XUV, Will get sales a boost in rural areas, where Scorpio is king.
84.monsoon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 09:49   #933
BHPian

Is it just me or the front fascia, especially the headlights, give a slight hint of the Fortuner
Old 21st May 2022, 09:55   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBox View Post
It's like those times when you as a kid went to a drawing competition and started drawing something really good and by the time you realized that 75% of the time limit was over and you still had to finish the rest of the drawing - so you just want to finish it somehow and complete it haphazardly.
I don't know if memes are allowed on the forum, but if they are, here is one that I guess perfectly describes your (and other's) emotions here.

Name:  unfinished_horse.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  35.7 KB
rnkgrg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:00   #935
BHPian

They got the naming completely wrong.

'Scorpio' refers to a zodiac constellation and its associated sunsign which has a distinctive character as the sunsign is usually associated with (mental) toughness, virility, shrewdness and revenge seeking behaviour, which suits a butch SUV.

But Scorpion in not a constellation, not a sunsign, it is just an insect (arachnid, technically) which most people will just stomp on, crush and keep going, if they encounter one. It is not a shark or a cheetah which evoke respect.

A broader name like 'Stinger' may have worked as it can technically mean anything which stings. But 'Scorpion' is too specific and narrow, which reflects absolutely nothing the SUV stands for, like safety, technology, adventure seeking behaviour, toughness, speed, power, luxury and so on.

'Butterfly' logo and 'Scorpion' nameplate..... I expected better from you, Mahindra.

Last edited by Geta : 21st May 2022 at 10:10.
Geta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:28   #936
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
They got the naming completely wrong.

'Scorpio' refers to a zodiac constellation and its associated sunsign which has a distinctive character as the sunsign is usually associated with (mental) toughness, virility, shrewdness and revenge seeking behaviour, which suits a butch SUV.

But Scorpion in not a constellation, not a sunsign, it is just an insect (arachnid, technically) which most people will just stomp on, crush and keep going, if they encounter one. It is not a shark or a cheetah which evoke respect.

A broader name like 'Stinger' may have worked as it can technically mean anything which stings. But 'Scorpion' is too specific and narrow, which reflects absolutely nothing the SUV stands for, like safety, technology, adventure seeking behaviour, toughness, speed, power, luxury and so on.

'Butterfly' logo and 'Scorpion' nameplate...
They can defy that the name is not "Scorpion", it is "Scorpio-N" - referring to Scorpio-New. But yes, a scorpion's sting is added at many places.

A car named scorpion with the hereditary name of scorpio having the butterfly emblem and advertised as a cheetah drinking water from a stream...

Hope the ride is not bumpy like a horse, technical issues don't come as a snake and the sale is not as a snail.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220520165949_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 21st May 2022 at 10:51.
romeomidhun is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:31   #937

As many have mentioned, I too think this might not age well. Simply put the glass for me is too big in comparison to the rest of the design. Agreed, it will make the cabin airy, will not make the occupants feel claustrophobic, etc. but it just does not fit in with this design for me from the picture we have until now.

In the previous-gen Scorpio, we had much vertical volume in terms of the height of the vehicle which made a larger glass area gel in the design. But here I believe this would be much squatter than the previous-gen Scorpio.

Also, I believe Mahindra had a good chance to make a new-gen Scorpio an equivalent of what the Defender is to Land Rover - in terms of no-nonsense hardcore rugged SUV, with beautifully modern but boxy and traditional design. It would have also enabled them to slot in the new XUV500 in their product range (if they were to bring it) along with the Scorpio and the XUV700.

I believe Mahindra can very well position their various models just like how LR is doing and create a space for each of their offerings at a completely different price spectrum.

However, what we can do is only second guess and make comments sitting from the outside without knowing what the management thinks.
BoxBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:33   #938
BHPian

When I was doing Medicine from 1998 to 2003, there was only one personally owned car at our hostel.
It was the Scorpio(it came in 2001 or 2002). I traveled in it once or twice and was dazzled by the car and its interiors.
Always thought about buying one. But preferences changed over the years. Still have got a fondness towards it.
Nice to see the car going strong even after 20 years.
Way to go!
sushanthys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:42   #939
BHPian

Looks pretty amazing to me. Looks like what it needs to look like... a utility vehicle. Simple. No unnecessary bits. Like a workhorse. With 4x4 it'll be exceptional. Gen 2 was a little frilly to me. This one looks built tough and solid.
Valhalla1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:49   #940
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Now when my Scorpio woke up with a new name after an overnight drive:

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-475ced0e1e404cbb94d677d06325ae5e.jpeg
balenoed_ is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:52   #941
BHPian

This looks just fine. They have done a good job of not overdoing things. Considering that there is no other BOF 5 door SUV available in the market now (in the 15 to 30L space), this is going to be another blockbuster for Mahindra. And the green just looks nice. Hope the chip shortage gets over sometime soon and cars become available easily. Just wishing.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 11:03   #942
BHPian

I like this car’s conservative styling. Why should a BoF vehicle that’s meant to feel rugged and durable in a rustic environment, look sleek? My guess on size - 4.6 metres. On price - 15-25 OTR.
Vikram9193 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 11:06   #943
BHPian

I have always liked the looks of the Scorpio but what stopped me from buying it was its poor safety, as can be seen in the attached pic.

I am sure that the new Scorpio N will have an excellent crash rating, but what about the old Scorpio Classic? Will Mahindra make any changes to the structure of the Scorpio Classic to make it as safety-compliant as the new Scorpio N? I can't buy an unsafe car just because it looks good.
Attached Images

SkylineGTR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 11:36   #944
BHPian

So much discussion about the naming, positioning, similarities with other models etc. But what I feel is that most of the "real" customers don't really care about all that. They just want a butch body on frame SUV with some good features, safety, decent performance and doesn't cost a bomb ( ahem Fortuner!) and they will simply go and buy it . This is exactly What happened with XUV 700...

Last edited by IntoTheStorm : 21st May 2022 at 11:38.
IntoTheStorm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 11:49   #945
BHPian

all wheel disc brakes is a good sign.
Mahindra and Tata are truly setting a benchmark for affordable and safe vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-060507f94ead443e98e80c2625919538.png  

Mustang Sammy is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks