Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 22:26   #721
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkLightning View Post
I believe Maruti is pressed from both ends now, By no means is Maruti going to roll out a vehicle which will bring small volumes.
====
I know I am expecting too bold a decision from Maruti but hey if they pick any of these three choices they will really disrupt the market.
Agree with your thoughts on point 1. For 2 and 3, let's understand that it is maruti. So forget the AWD on any of the cheaper models( well, where are the costly/ premium ones). Even, they will strip the global Vitara of AWD should they decide to bring it to India.
Jimny/Gypsy is the only possibility of a 4WD from Maruti.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th October 2021 at 14:04. Reason: Trimming Quoted post
mpant05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 22:27   #722

I'm more worried about how much Maruti would dilute the safety standards for India. Jimmy being sold in the European markets is already a poor performer in NCAP tests. Weak scores to the chest in frontal offset deformable barrier and head in frontal full width tests.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf euroncap-2018-suzuki-jimny-datasheet.pdf (3.96 MB, 135 views)
zapstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 23:37   #723
BHPian

Interesting times.. Have bookings of Thar and XUV700 AX5 Diesel auto. This adds to the confusion if it is Jimny. I may as well cancel the Thar booking and go for Jimny for more practicality and efficient petrol engine, avoiding DPF issues.
Mogs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 10:06   #724
BHPian

I have seen this new Jimny here in Muscat, and I drive a JL. I presume this is going to be 1.5 lit or 1.3 lit (most probably) 2 door. Someone managed to convince the Management in MSIL to bring this pony tin box to the market showing the Thar's success. It is a safety hazard for an off roader. Already NCAP shows it. Imagine the quality of materials will be used in India. It is too high for that short wheelbase and width. It can topple easily. Only 4 doors could make sense out of this model. Or this could be that city runabout for errands. Two doors with this size is impractical my humble opinion, after seeing this very close in person.
sgmuser is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 10:20   #725
Senior - BHPian

I hope it's the Jimny.
As an existing Thar Crde owner, I would love to replace the Thar with a Green 3 door Jimny
Another Nice opportunity for Maruti could be to bring the Vitara AWD.
Old 17th October 2021, 11:29   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Teaser 3 of the 'SUV':

Quote:
This wild adventurous ride has covered a remarkable journey across many terrains. Whichever car this is, it’s surely fit for adventure! But which one is it?
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 605
Size:  41.4 KB

Teasers 1, 2 and 3:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-0.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th October 2021 at 11:45.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 11:36   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post
Hope you like it! 🙏☺️
Excellent. Lucid, factual, to the point and crisp review.
Your review beats the so called "auto journalist" reviews here in India, (no flattery intended).
The icing on the cake would've been your testing its off roading capability; but I'm guessing your schedule conspired against you to go off the beaten path.

Congrats once again for the wonderful insights.

Drive safe!
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 11:39   #728
BHPian

Indian consumers have been given so many false hopes by Maruti Suzuki, it almost seems pyrrhic now that the car will finally launch here!

Name:  c85.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  18.0 KB
dragracer567 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 12:33   #729
BHPian

Well if its the eternally awaited Jimny they are too late to the party. The looks are no match with even the bronze age 1st gen Thar. Neither are the riding manners. Even if fully souped up(impossible with the current MVD witch hunting scenario) its still won't live upto the stock Thar. I hope they give it something vaguely resembling the Gypsy shell and price it accordingly.
tomraven99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 15:56   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Teaser 3 of the 'SUV':

Attachment 2220106

Teasers 1, 2 and 3:

Attachment 2220114
Frankly speaking, the kind of terrain shown in these teasers, sparse desert sand, light snow, smooth beach, I hope they haven't readied the Baleno-Cross, with side-claddings and 17in wheels. That would be the easiest thing to do for Maruti and the most fitting travesty for us hungry enthusiasts.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 19:12   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Frankly speaking, the kind of terrain shown in these teasers, sparse desert sand, light snow, smooth beach, I hope they haven't readied the Baleno-Cross, with side-claddings and 17in wheels. That would be the easiest thing to do for Maruti and the most fitting travesty for us hungry enthusiasts.
The Baleno Cross is almost ready and now looking at Maruti's history and these ads, even I'm in doubt.

PS: The Baleno Cross looks great(have seen it's CAD diagram), and face looks inspired from Harrier with Honda's H style grill. The bodystyle is coupe-ish. But I seriously hope these teasers are for Jimny and not something silly.
Leoshashi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 20:10   #732
Distinguished - BHPian

Performance figures for Jimny 1.5: 5MT and 4AT

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot_20211017124142__01.jpg

1.5 MT is decent. Performance is similar to 1.2 K series hatches like Baleno and Swift.

Source:
Dr.Naren is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 20:28   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The Baleno Cross is almost ready and now looking at Maruti's history and these ads, even I'm in doubt.

PS: --But I seriously hope these teasers are for Jimny and not something silly.
Hopefully the teasers we are seeing are the marketing plans of Jimny as explained in the below video by Shashank Srivastava -Executive Director at Maruti Suzuki India Ltd.

Re-posting the same:

volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 22:02   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
The Baleno Cross (a.k.a. YTB) is honestly a beauty. However, that car won't make debut before March 2022 as per my friends at Maruti. This right here, is most likely a Jimny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

PS: The Baleno Cross looks great(have seen it's CAD diagram), and face looks inspired from Harrier with Honda's H style grill. The bodystyle is coupe-ish.
Off-topic- Saw the same CAD diagram and it honestly looks pretty cool. I am just worried that the Tata social media army might label it as a Punch copy once it makes a debut in March 2022.

P.S.- Found the below screenshot in the comment section of this MotorBeam article.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-untitled.jpg

Guess Maruti might just drop a festive season bomb on all of us!
theAutomaniac is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 22:44   #735
BHPian

Dear Maruti,
Please tell us in our face if you aren't launching the Jimny in India, but please don't play with our sentiments by teasing us with such adverts. Believe me, we offroaders are simple souls and can't take it any longer.
mpant05 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks