Japanese [Toyota, Honda etc] 329 39.45%
Korean [Hyundai, Kia etc etc] 24 2.88%
Voters: 834. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2005, 19:23   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
In case you know how to count, you will see that Japanese have the maximum brand loyalty in US, history and pedigree be damned. When you drive to work, it is reliability that is taking you there, not history, myth etc.

About off roaders, it is you who asked me about my opinion of Range Rovers( last time I checked, they were making 4WD only ) and by the way, you don't have to give me any money to buy one, last time I checked my bank account, I have enough to buy one if I so wanted. The Gurkha is good, I never said that MB is bad, go back carefully and read my posts, MB has made some good legendary vehicles which I have listed. The Gurkha is a derivative of that using the famous OM 616 engines. I don't wish to sound redundant,I have owned two MB vehicles in the past. Land Cruisers and Pajeros may suck to you, but then you are not the one they are marketing to so relax, they have their loyal customer base including the likes of National Geography, guess they can do without your business.

As for name calling, don't see any names mentioned in my post, just some subtle hint for the smart ones. Now I suggest you take a different tone, you are delving into un-necessary aggressive posturing and I suggest you back off before this turns into an ugly fest, take out your threatening tones otherwise you are showing your age and immaturity.

Sorry RX, but this one I have to clarify.

Dear Gurkha,

1) I am not trying to talk about brand loyalty sir. I am talking about 'brand equity'. There is a difference.
2a) I am not trying to call you out on your finances. Please try and recognize a hypothetical question. But I do take your not so subtle hint on the status of your bank balance.
2b) I asked you about a Range Rover because you seem to like only these kinds of vehicles.
3) Land Rovers and Pajeros suck to me not because they are Land Rovers and Pajeros, but because they are SUVs. Again, I was trying to hint to you that this thread is about preferences and cars.
4) Calling some one who is not here to defend himself/herself a 'pompous fat fool' is name calling. Atleast it is in my book.
5) I cannot detect any aggression in my post, but lots in yours.
6) Regarding age and immaturity, sir, well I can see where both are present in a greater quantity.
7) I have been trying to tell you that you may be right on the technical aspects that you are trying to tell us about, but there is a class of people who will not appreciate only numbers. Some people think with their hearts. You, sir, are not one of them. And I respect that. However, I do not to see any reciprocal respect from your side for my position.
8) You seem to be thinking that I have nothing but hostile intentions towards you which is farthest from the truth.

Lets leave it at this.

You no doubt have a lot of information to share, but are getting unnecessarily emotional here.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 14th September 2005 at 19:42.
Old 14th September 2005, 19:52   #257
BANNED

Type One -,

This is an automobile forum and therefore SUVs, 4WD all come under that broad category so why limit it. I love cars as well as SUV, however, I only drive 4WD here in India due to my Geographical proximity, I would love to mash the throttle of a TRD modded 720BHP Supra or my own HRC modded Accord V6 which lies in my house in Staten Island but not here where the hard suspension combined with lowered height and extremely low profile tires would reduce the Accord to shreds.

Journalists don't need to defend themselves, they have the public forum to spew out their perspective, however biased they may be, we as audience have the right to point it out to others.

Now about your dislike of SUV's in general, that is your choice just like there are those who give their preference of buying a car with history rather than substance, to each his or her own.

Personally, along with my Gurkha and Jonga, I am thinking of adding a Unimog to my collection and thats the quirk in me, call me eccentric.

Good day to you.
Old 14th September 2005, 20:06   #258
Senior - BHPian

@Gurkha, For every Japanese "invention" (some of which are rather innovations, not inventions) that you have talked about, I can list 10 German inventions. And Indeed, I have done that so far. I also can very well back up my claim about so called abused marutis (aren't reliable Japs supposed to take this abuse?), but I am not going to do it. Why?

There is a saying: One can wake up sleeping person, but not one pretending to sleep. I have always appreciated Japanese where they excel, but for solid engineered cars, it has to be Germans. I don't want to comment on your personal choices, but may be, just may be, lowly opinion about Indians from Americans or Europeans have made you such a staunch critic of them in repulsion.

Feel free to call it "chickening out", but I am opting out of this discussion since it is taking personal route than logical arguments. So, take care and have nice time with your Gurkha. Enjoy!
Old 14th September 2005, 20:23   #259
BANNED

And for every 10 German invention of this century, I can list 100 by Ancient Egyptians, Chinese, Indians and Mayans. Neither Germans nor Japanese nor Americans hold the book on inventions, some are simultaneous, some are unlisted and so go by history into oblivion, no clear cut pattern there. Inventions are and always be out of necessity and therefore what is useful to us now certainly wouldn't have been useful in a different time frame, it is a highly relative issue.

Fukura Toyoda invented today's loom, upon his son's wish of making cars, he sold the loom patent to the British to fulfil his son's wish and that is how Toyota came into being, so you see the British did not invent modern day loom.

German cars are no more solid than Japanese and if mass is an indication of solid cars, the Americans with their huge boats rule the roost, specially the ones made before 90s the likes of Crown Vic, Continental, heck, even the single door of my 86 Trans Am GTA weighed more than two doors of my 83 W123 MB 300TD combined. Did that make the W123 weak, I really doubt that. Even the current crop of American cars barring the Saturn and Neon have the mass is solid feel, NHSTA data shows otherwise.

My last word on this.

Last edited by Gurkha : 14th September 2005 at 20:36.
Old 14th September 2005, 21:00   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Type One -,
I am typeO.

Quote:
This is an automobile forum and therefore SUVs, 4WD all come under that broad category so why limit it.
Indeed why? But then English is funny and ambiguous.

Quote:
I love cars as well as SUV, however, I only drive 4WD here in India due to my Geographical proximity, I would love to mash the throttle of a TRD modded 720BHP Supra or my own HRC modded Accord V6 which lies in my house in Staten Island but not here where the hard suspension combined with lowered height and extremely low profile tires would reduce the Accord to shreds.
I am not criticizing your choice. I can see the beauty of an SUV in action in the hands of someone who lives the tough life. I can't for a minute imagine it in the hands of someone going to do his daily groceries in one. I hope you are getting my drift. In case you find my criticism of SUVs a bit over the top, please do accept my apologies. I do not in any way want to trivialize your interest.

Quote:
Journalists don't need to defend themselves, they have the public forum to spew out their perspective, however biased they may be, we as audience have the right to point it out to others.
Agreed. But there are more dignified ways of doing so. Stooping down to his level, if that was the case, is not worthy of appreciation. Call him biased, prejudiced etc. But calling him a 'pompous fat fool' is a trifle childish don't you think?

Quote:
Now about your dislike of SUV's in general, that is your choice just like there are those who give their preference of buying a car with history rather than substance, to each his or her own.
That's what is the core of my argument. As some one pointed out an automobile is an automobile whichever country. We all will appreciate a good vehicle when we see one. But 'preferences' are something totally personal and in most cases do not have a logical justification.

Quote:
Personally, along with my Gurkha and Jonga, I am thinking of adding a Unimog to my collection and thats the quirk in me, call me eccentric.
If you are eccentric sir, then I already like you. And the day I have enough money, I would like to buy a Skyline. That is my quirk.

Quote:
Good day to you.
To you too.
Old 14th September 2005, 21:05   #261
Senior - BHPian

Nice on Gurkha...Im with you on every word you disposed off to conclude this awesome fanatic car war!!! Just to add on what you mentioned- Chinese are the greatest inventors in the face of ancient and modern earthly inventions...But they are behind the curtains due to their communist principles,,,by this what I reckon is, it really matters how open you are to the international market to be recognised also. Marketing can change the face of the product in t he consumers eye and westerners deserve a salute on that...
When we talked about cars with good build quality, we discussed about cars which need to be as good a built as cars need to...By that what I mean is, cars dont need to be built like tankers to be called cars with good build quality. They need to tow people and theri belongings around thats about it. Now 2 ton cars can be built, any company can but the point is do you really require that??? If you want more than you require and more, its purely to SHOW OFF!!!
No offence to none, my opinion need not satisfy everyone...

Last edited by The Wolf : 14th September 2005 at 21:09.
Old 15th September 2005, 00:03   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Excuse me?
Uh oh! Wrong choice of words..that referred to Clarkson and not you, TypeO(-).

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th September 2005 at 00:07.
Old 15th September 2005, 00:45   #263
BHPian

Land Cruisers as well as Pajero are made to last and do their jobs,year in, year out, nothing fancy. By the way, Pajero is record 7 time Paris Dakkar champion, guess they have to be doing something right. By the way, I am sick and tired to see the Japanese being put down as non innovators, guess no one reads my posts carefully, pity. By the way, I will repeat, the Germans copied fuel injection, ABS from the Americans so I guess they are the original copycats then.

@ Gurkha,

No one can question Jap ingenuity. What are you trying to prove by saying Germans are copy cats??
Japs build the best cars on planet earth??

With regard to your question on Camaro's beating Supra's, yes its true. Surprising it is, but true and with all the gadgetery that you mentioned Supra's have or HAD.
Old 15th September 2005, 00:58   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

For perfection, no one comes close to Toyota today - you can compare them to ANY carmaker. Which is why people buy the Corolla and Camry despite their ridiculous looks.
Yes you know the same experience I had when I recently picked up a lexus. Guess what brand name I see on the window glasses-"Toyota"
I dont expect to pay up so much for and end up seeing "Toyota" in there. May be owned by Toyota but that does not make me happy.
So much for PERFECTION.
Old 15th September 2005, 02:36   #265
Senior - BHPian

Guys, leave JC out of this. He's a clown, just out to entertain. He shreds his own politicos and even his own wife just as much.

TypeO (like the band?!), if you're getting a Skyline, please don't get blue! I want mine to be blue!!!

Rtech, you can dare anyone to sit in anything and get a feeling, but each car feels different. I bet Super-M feels better in his 5 lakh Jeep than in his 25 lakh MB, so you see, it's all subjective. We know GTO was almost ready to throttle the MB dealers and management, because of horrendous quality issues with his previous car.
Old 15th September 2005, 10:08   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Uh oh! Wrong choice of words..that referred to Clarkson and not you, TypeO(-).
That's cool fellow mallu from God's own country. And Happy Onam.
Old 15th September 2005, 10:10   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
TypeO (like the band?!), if you're getting a Skyline, please don't get blue! I want mine to be blue!!!
No and yes dude. Like the name of the band but more to my blood group. And don't worry, I prefer black with grey stripes on my Skyline.
Old 16th September 2005, 00:36   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I only drive 4WD here in India due to my Geographical proximity, I would love to mash the throttle of a TRD modded 720BHP Supra or my own HRC modded Accord V6 which lies in my house in Staten Island but not here where the hard suspension combined with lowered height and extremely low profile tires would reduce the Accord to shreds.
Sorry, can't resist this. Doesn't Staten Island have really pathetic roads, not to mention pot-holed? Apart from route 278 and 440(?) where the speed limit is 55MPh, most other local roads in SI really suck. I used to hate driving in SI. What could you really do with a Supra in SI than getting pulled over?
Old 16th September 2005, 07:35   #269
BANNED

I live in Staten Island but am not forced to drive there, upstate NY has plenty of roads and so does NJ, and I have my good old radar defense system. SI is quite crowded now and Rt.440 gets pretty bad after winters and I am sure thats the time you must have driven there. I have been pulled over there in my Golf GTi16v, they clocked me at 135mph on Richmond Parkway, lucky for me, I had friends in the force. Sadly the northern states in US have the archaic 55mph law, southern states fare much better and saner with the 70mph limit, the Green movement is totally ruining the fun out of driving not to mention the high fuel cost.
Old 16th September 2005, 08:22   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I love this eccentricity. Call me for a drive to Leh. I know your other two babies can take us there also but Unimog is just right to carry my camera gears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks