Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 10:47   #526
Senior - BHPian

re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Seems there is non-awareness of recent developments in Maharashtra (MH) state.

If not aware, the Maharashtra Transport department, RTO had floated a tender in July 2013 for HSRP on BOO model in MH.

It is highly likely that the process will start soon in MH now.

Those just wanting to change the plates for whatever reasons, better hold on for some more time and wait to get the HSRP plates only.

A link to the RTO tender notice http://www.mahatranscom.in/Tender_notice.aspx

Last edited by parsh : 18th October 2013 at 10:48.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 11:15   #527
Team-BHP Support

Here (I believe throughout Bihar) you have to pay Rs. 335 (for 4 wheelers) for HSRP at the DTO's counter. They will issue a receipt & after around 2 weeks, you got to go to the vendor & they will bolt on the plates.

They are using the permanent bolts which can't be taken out/sheared.

And, they also have some numbers written on the plate which they jot down & later feed on the computer. They are very small in size. They also provide a sticker (small one, like a parking sticker) meant to be put up at the windshield. I haven't put that up as it wasn't available.

In metros or other states, do dealers have access to the HSRP?
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 17:01   #528
Team-BHP Support

Here’s how they do it here at the Surat RTO. A bunch of guys wearing ‘HSRP Team’ tees do the installation work.

- Get the token number from the RTO counter using the slip provided by the RTO/agent.

- Wait for the turn.

- Drive in the car inside the premises. Only 5 of these could be parked at once.

- If the template of a car is available, the installation guy will drill the hole using the template so the plate fits the hole locations of the car. Some cars do not have holes on the number plate slots (for eg. Polo, Rapid) so he drills a hole in the bumper after placing the number plate at the slot.

- After the plates are installed, a sticker is stuck on the top-right corner of the front windshield. This holographic sticker mentions the regn. number, chassis number and engine number.

- 2 snaps are clicked with the owner standing next to the front and rear of the car. 2 snaps of the chassis number and the sticker are also clicked.

- Leave the RTO.

Snaps of how it was done on the new Rapid (notice the new Skoda logo):

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-wp_20131030_16_01_09_pro.jpg

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-wp_20131030_16_01_22_pro.jpg

Snaps from my GT TDI:

A word about the quality of the plates (Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V from my ownership thread):

Quote:
The RTO charges Rs. 350 for a pair of plates including installation charges but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. For one, the rivets begin rusting after a monsoon; noticed a few plates here with rusted rivets - not a healthy sight I might add. The construction is also flimsy - the plates could have been a notch thicker IMO. And lastly, the border printing is irregular and pretty sure it will wear off with time. I guess we can't complain - for Rs. 350 a pair, this is the best they could provide!
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 22:08   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
A word about the quality of the plates (Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V from my ownership thread):
Thanks for sharing.

I would say, they add Rs.150 or even more and give us a better quality. None will feel bad for that as anyways, we are to get number plates done outside for Rs.1000+
Old 31st October 2013, 23:07   #530
BHPian

I bought a verna sx on dussera I.e. 13th oct and I'm still waiting waiting for the call for hrsp fitting. The driver went for the fitting on the date and time mentioned on the hrsp receipt and they informed me that the number will come up only after Diwali! They said that I'll have to wait for the SMS to arrive and than come after 4 days after the SMS is received as the number still hasn't come up on their computer. My question is can the hrsp be fitted from any other source apart from the rto? It's an inconvenience to not have a number plate after almost 20 days of delivery and been allotted a number. Plus this being a company car we cannot yet take it outside the city let alone the state as it will only invite unnecessary police checking and harassment. Any inputs will be helpful from fellow members.
Old 1st November 2013, 08:59   #531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I would say, they add Rs.150 or even more and give us a better quality. None will feel bad for that as anyways, we are to get number plates done outside for Rs.1000+
Indeed. They could have charged a bit more and given us better quality plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
My question is can the hrsp be fitted from any other source apart from the rto?
I do not think so. The number plates have to be provided by the RTO and they cannot be replicated outside because the plates have a laser-etched number below the IND symbol. Moreover, the tool for fixing the plates using rivets are mostly handled by the RTO guys. You may be able to find the tool outside but not with the dealers who fix the plates.

There may have been many car deliveries after Dussehra (auspicious period) which is why the delay.
Old 1st November 2013, 09:28   #532
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Indeed. They could have charged a bit more and given us better quality plates.

I do not think so. The number plates have to be provided by the RTO and they cannot be replicated outside because the plates have a laser-etched number below the IND symbol. Moreover, the tool for fixing the plates using rivets are mostly handled by the RTO guys. You may be able to find the tool outside but not with the dealers who fix the plates.
Please note this HSRP is franchised out to various companies which differ from State to State - Shimnit Utsch, Utsav, etc. The fitment is done by them under RTO supervision.

This was proposed during the NDA regime, with reportedly - under the instigation of Shimnit, with possibly a strong baksheesh element. When the matter was brought to the notice of the General, he promptly put a stop to it. However, proposals have an infinite life. Other firms, like, Utsav also came up. I must say, we the customers are also responsible for putting up plates with all sorts of weird designs, lettering and backgrounds. MH gov went to the HC for allowing lettering in Devanagri , and was rebuffed four times. Still all Govt vehicles in UP are in Devanagri with often UP written as as Uttar Pradesh. The law only allows Roman Numerals and letters!

I personally feel that the BIS specifications should be clearly publicised, and strict conformity with BIS marked plates should be the only ones permitted. The plates must bear BIS stamping. Has been in the UK since at least the 1970's, possibly much earlier.

Nobody wants to deal with the RTO, arguably the most corrupt department.

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st November 2013 at 09:40.
Old 1st November 2013, 09:34   #533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Please note this HSRP is franchised out to various companies which differ from State to State - Shimnit Utsch, Utsav, etc. The fitment is done by them under RTO supervision.
Indeed. At Gujarat, it is handled by FTA HSRP Solutions Pvt. Ltd. The receipt from the RTO agent had this information.

Link

From the same link above, some useful and interesting information:

Quote:
What is HSRP?

High Security Registration Plates (in short HSRP) is a number plate for vehicles which was introduced by Ministry of Road Transport and Highway (MORTH) on 2001. It is made of 1mm special grade Aluminium and is laminated with White/Yellow reflective sheets. It has embossed characters upon which Black foil with security inscription are hot stamped.

It also has the following security features to prevent counterfeiting:

• Hot Stamped Chromium based ‘Chakra’ hologram
• Ingressed IND Legend
• Unique Laser etched code
• Hot stamped Black Foil with ‘INDIA’ Inscript
• Snap Locks
• 3rd Registration Plate (A self-destructible sticker with chromium hologram pasted on the wind shield of the vehicle containing information about the vehicle)

How does HSRP helps in keeping my vehicle secured?

Laser number :
All HSRP have a laser identification number etched on the surface, which cannot be erased and is unique for every HSRP throughout India. This Laser number is attached with all the relevant information about the vehicle Like Registration Number, Make, Model, Engine No., Chassis No. Etc. This data is electronically saved in the database of the Government. This Laser number helps in determining whether the number plate is genuine or not and thus helps in identifying the authenticity of the vehicle in question.

Snap Locks :
HSRP is fixed on the vehicles using temper-evident, non-removable and non-reusable snap locks which makes it extremely difficult to remove the number plate once it has been affixed making it difficult for criminals to steal vehicle and replacing the HSRP with ordinary number plates.

Reflective Sheet :
The HSRP also have a white or Yellow reflective sheet laminated on its surface making the vehicle more visible during night thus avoiding accidents.

Standard Format :
There are only 4 sizes of HSRP and the Registration Numbers are embossed very clearly on it making them highly readable. This helps the law enforcement agencies to curb down crime in various ways.

Excellent Finish :
We make our HSRP with the best available raw material (imported from Germany and Japan) in a very advanced production Line manufactured in The Netherlands. The end result is a number plate which has an excellent finish and unparalleled looks making your vehicle look even better.

What happens in case the HSRP is damaged/lost and it needs to be replaced?

The damaged HSRP has to be brought to the RTO and a fresh application for replacement has to be made. In case the HSRP is lost due to some reason, it is recommended that a diary be registered in your Police Station mentioning the Laser Identification number of the HSRP that has been lost and a fresh application has to be made for replacement of the lost HSRP.

I already have HSRP affixed on my vehicle, but I can’t see any laser identification number on it. Why?

The number plate that you have on your vehicle, is not HSRP. It is only a look-alike. You would have to get a new HSRP from the registered vendor approved by the transport department of your state.
Source

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st November 2013 at 18:20. Reason: Added to first post. Thanks.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 11:38   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw news that high security number plates are going to be mandatory in AP from Dec 1. That means there is only 25 days or so before deadline, was there any discussion on this before or is it one sudden move from AP government.
NDTV link about the same.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 19:14   #535
BHPian

what is the process for existing vehicles to convert their ordinary number plates to the HSRP ones ?
Old 8th November 2013, 06:30   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Saw news that high security number plates are going to be mandatory in AP from Dec 1. That means there is only 25 days or so before deadline, was there any discussion on this before or is it one sudden move from AP government. NDTV link about the same.
Hi mpksuhas,

Many thanks for the information. Any idea on other details around who, where is this going to be done in Hyd? I will also try to find out and post back on this thread so that all of us have the latest news/details on this front.
Old 8th November 2013, 09:52   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Any idea on other details around who, where is this going to be done in Hyd? I will also try to find out and post back on this thread so that all of us have the latest news/details on this front.
Getsurya, sorry apart from the details mentioned in the link I don't have any idea about the implementation. In fact I was surprised to see the article mentioning a deadline of around 20 days since no discussion about the same was seen on TBHP.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 16:47   #538
BHPian

Hey Folks - I have a new car registered in Mangalore and currently in Bangalore. How would I go about getting HSRP for my vehicle? The dealers here suggest visiting any number plate shop - but aren't those only lookalikes? Would the Bangalore RTO be able to get me KA19 plates?
lyneld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 23:07   #539
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Many thanks for the information. Any idea on other details around who, where is this going to be done in Hyd? I will also try to find out and post back on this thread so that all of us have the latest news/details on this front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Getsurya, sorry apart from the details mentioned in the link I don't have any idea about the implementation. In fact I was surprised to see the article mentioning a deadline of around 20 days since no discussion about the same was seen on TBHP.
The rule has gone live for the state of Andhra Pradesh and the enforcement is from December 1, but the government has not listed out the vendors and the guys who will look after the installation etc. So we will have to wait till a further notice is issued on this issue.

Quote:
All motor vehicles in Andhra Pradesh will have to carry tamper-proof high-security number plates from December 1, Transport Minister Botsa Satyanarayana said today.

"We will issue a notification in this regard shortly," he told reporters after an official review meeting of his department in Hyderabad. The Minister, however, did not elaborate. Tenders for this were cancelled at least three times because of allegations of corruption.

Now, the government is said to have finalised one agency that will take up the job under the aegis of APSRTC, the sources said.
Source: http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/hi...pradesh-442569

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 01:29   #540
BANNED

An update that I heard on the Radio.

All vehicles purchased after the 11 th of December must have the high security number plates once the car goes for registration.

Yet to know action has been planned for vehicles that are already registered.

I am excited as I love the look that those number plates give to the car apart from safety feature.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed