Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2021, 00:03   #196
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 | Long wait times for deliveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankw839 View Post
I have known the dealer principal personally and he has confirmed that there is hardly any communication Mahindra is giving them about individual bookings..
Don’t remain at the mercy of dealer for updates. In so many cases customers had to reach out to dealer after the portal informed them of vehicle at dealership. The dealers are least bothered. You should be able to track your booking on the portal yourself. If you cannot, ask the dealer to update your phone number. Please verify for yourself what the exact date is in Mahindra’s records.

You will also be able to escalate the issue yourself by directly emailing higher-ups if you have the OTF number.
Old 17th December 2021, 08:20   #197
BHPian

Today, the tracking page finally got upated and it now shows "Order Under Planning". The delivery date has also been updated to show the "fourth" revised deadline whch is - 8th to 15th January, 2022.

Though at this point I'm cautiously optimistic since I seem to remember reading a BHPians post on the official review thread which said that every December, Mahindra shuts its plans for some days and then resumes production from the next year only. I can only hope that they delay the production of my car further and then give me a 2022 manufactured car instead

Anyway, just wanted to share an update on the progress of my booking with everyone. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 | Long wait times for deliveries-screenshot_20211217064931_chrome.jpg  

wadewilson is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 13:16   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Today, the tracking page finally got upated and it now shows "Order Under Planning". The delivery date has also been updated to show the "fourth" revised deadline whch is - 8th to 15th January, 2022.

Though at this point I'm cautiously optimistic since I seem to remember reading a BHPians post on the official review thread which said that every December, Mahindra shuts its plans for some days and then resumes production from the next year only.
Glad to know things are moving forward, though don't trust the online tracking. It's a hit and miss. In my case, it moved directly from Order Processed" to "Vehicle at Dealership"

I think all companies shut their production lines for plant maintenance from 25th December to 10th January approx. Production is usually streamlined from the second week of January always. Expect them to produce maximum stock before production is halted.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 14:14   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Glad to know things are moving forward, though don't trust the online tracking. It's a hit and miss. In my case, it moved directly from Order Processed" to "Vehicle at Dealership"
Yes, I was expecting something similar along the lines but alas, I guess the surprise was not for me

Quote:
I think all companies shut their production lines for plant maintenance from 25th December to 10th January approx. Production is usually streamlined from the second week of January always. Expect them to produce maximum stock before production is halted.
Thank you for this Nikhil. This is exactly what I was searching for. Hope my car production would start from 11th January instead of December. Hoping for a 2022 make
wadewilson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 14:52   #200
BHPian

Quote:

Probably Mahindra won't shutdown lines this year. They are already overloaded with orders and people want the car either way even if it is December 31st manufactured. Heard they are starting production lines for xuv700 at Nashik as well along with Chakan very soon.
Old 17th December 2021, 15:22   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Probably Mahindra won't shutdown lines this year. They are already overloaded with orders and people want the car either way even if it is December 31st manufactured. Heard they are starting production lines for xuv700 at Nashik as well along with Chakan very soon.
Yes, Mahindra may not be in a position to halt production this time, but at the end of the day, they don't really have an option. Plant Maintenance is an absolutely essential aspect which cannot be ignored. Production lines need a break to function effectively.

Even I heard that they are transferring some production load of XUV 700 to Nashik as well, so that the main Chakan plant can also produce the rest of the vehicles from the line-up, especially Thar. Considering that the Thar waiting periods have also stretched long, Mahindra can't afford to annoy those customers for sure.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 15:47   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Mahindra, along with Hyundai and Honda, had already done away with the plant maintenances back in May of this year. They scheduled it earlier due to the second wave of Pandemic, keeping in mind the health and safety of its employees and work environment, plus due to lockdowns in various states, the demand for vehicles also declined.

Sharing the relevant news article for your perusal:

M&M advances annual maintenance plant shutdown to May

Quote:
Probably Mahindra won't shutdown lines this year. They are already overloaded with orders and people want the car either way even if it is December 31st manufactured.
Hey @shashank! It's not about whether Mahindra or any other Manufacturer can or should forego the maintenance of their plant. It is a statutory obligation on them to do so. As per Sections 6(2)(a) of the Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code, 2020 every such employer has to ensure that maintenance of plant and machinery is carried out, not as a matter of convenience or production streamlining and efficiency but as a legal obligation arising from a statute. So, no matter the constraints any company may face, maintenance HAS to be done.

In any case, since Mahindra has already done away with their annual maintenance, they will keep churning out XUV7OO for rest of this quarter, the only limitation being their inventory and supply chain issues.

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 17th December 2021 at 15:51.
Moto_Bear is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 20:24   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
Mahindra, along with Hyundai and Honda, had already done away with the plant maintenances back in May of this year. They scheduled it earlier due to the second wave of Pandemic, keeping in mind the health and safety of its employees and work environment, plus due to lockdowns in various states, the demand for vehicles also declined.

Sharing the relevant news article for your perusal:

M&M advances annual maintenance plant shutdown to May

Hey @shashank! It's not about whether Mahindra or any other Manufacturer can or should forego the maintenance of their plant. It is a statutory obligation on them to do so. As per Sections 6(2)(a) of the Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code, 2020 every such employer has to ensure that maintenance of plant and machinery is carried out, not as a matter of convenience or production streamlining and efficiency but as a legal obligation arising from a statute. So, no matter the constraints any company may face, maintenance HAS to be done.

In any case, since Mahindra has already done away with their annual maintenance, they will keep churning out XUV7OO for rest of this quarter, the only limitation being their inventory and supply chain issues.
I agree it's a legal obligation. But normally these shutdowns happen at a period when no one likes to pick up any cars (year-end cars ). However, this is not the case this year for many of the manufacturers due to the huge waiting list on cars and the chip shortage hitting their deliveries. I believe like all obligations in India, most of them would smartly manage these obligations by doing part by part or section-wise maintenance. Some others like M&M have already taken the shutdowns so they may continue as per normal. One of my neighbors works in Tata Motors and he mentioned that most manufacturers are in fact looking to clear out as much stock as they can before the 31st of this year. This is all due to the fact that many of them have a good number of cars already manufactured and are waiting for only some components to be installed due to the chip thing. Many of them have these standing in stockyards...
shashankw839 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 10:57   #204
BHPian

While we heard a lot of bad experiences with deliveries, I wanted to share a pleasant scenario to balance out a bit.

I had booked AX7 AT PET Midnight Black on 7th and had got a delivery date of Jan 10. It changed to
  • Jan 2nd-9th
  • Dec 21st-28th
On Dec 13th, the dealer confirmed that the vehicle is in transit. They got it in their yard on 14th, PDI on 15th; got delivery on 19th. The car was manufactured in Nov.

I think large cancellations of Petrol and people's reluctance to take delivery in December influenced the delivery date.

The dealership, India Garage Whitefield, was very professional to deal with too. PDI happened smoothly, no pressure around accessories and provided a competitive insurance quote; which I chose over external ones. Their sales, registration and finance teams were helpful too. While choosing the dealer, I had chosen them over other nearby dealers based on Google reviews; looks like it worked.

Last edited by impala : 20th December 2021 at 10:59. Reason: added MFD
impala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 12:32   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
While we heard a lot of bad experiences with deliveries, I wanted to share a pleasant scenario to balance out a bit.

I had booked AX7 AT PET Midnight Black on 7th and had got a delivery date of Jan 10. It changed to
  • Jan 2nd-9th
  • Dec 21st-28th
On Dec 13th, the dealer confirmed that the vehicle is in transit. They got it in their yard on 14th, PDI on 15th; got delivery on 19th. The car was manufactured in Nov.

I think large cancellations of Petrol and people's reluctance to take delivery in December influenced the delivery date.

The dealership, India Garage Whitefield, was very professional to deal with too. PDI happened smoothly, no pressure around accessories and provided a competitive insurance quote; which I chose over external ones. Their sales, registration and finance teams were helpful too. While choosing the dealer, I had chosen them over other nearby dealers based on Google reviews; looks like it worked.
Congratulations! I too had a pleasant experience with them. They seem to be trying hard to improve on customer experience. Faced few issues with insurance and Fastag, but the SA himself helped with escalation to AGM of India Garage who stepped in and resolved everything within a day.
amay1283 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 10:25   #206
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 waiting period goes up to 19 months

The waiting period for the Mahindra XUV700 has gone up even further. Customers of the top-spec AX7 variants can expect a wait of up to 19 months to get the delivery of their cars.

Mahindra XUV700 | Long wait times for deliveries-2021mahindraxuv70008.jpg

The waiting period for the base MX variant now extends to up to 7 months for the petrol and 10 months for the diesel version. AX3 customers are facing a waiting period of 8-12 months depending on the choice of engine, while AX5 deliveries will take at least a year from the date of booking.

Mahindra XUV700 | Long wait times for deliveries-screenshot-20211221-102443.jpg

As you can see, the waiting period for the most feature-packed variants is the highest. For those who wish to buy the top-spec variant but can do without some of the high-end features, Mahindra will be offering the AX7 Smart variant. It misses out on features like ADAS, ESP, hill hold assist, hill descent control, knee airbag, drive modes, electronic parking brake, wireless charger, electric door handles and Driver Drowsiness Detection.

Mahindra has a huge backlog of orders for the XUV700. The situation has been further compounded by the global chip shortage, leading to delays.

Source: Cardekho

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 21st December 2021 at 10:27.
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:31   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a ridiculously long waiting time. 19 months is the better part of 2 years - the XUV is already in the market for a few months and will get closer to its midlife refresh cycle by the time someone who books now would receive the car!

I don't see the point of the whole process, other than for M&M to continue to boast of a long waiting list and therefore increase the perceived value and exclusiveness in the eyes of current and prospective customers.the booking advance (Rs. 21000) is not much and is not going to help them with cash flows to a meaningful extent.

We all know the actual wait times are shorter than projected, so why keep publishing these long timelines. Given the kind of activism from our courts, I would not be surprised if sooner of later, some judge of a High Court somewhere in the country gets pissed off waiting for his XUV, takes suo moto cognizance of the published long waiting times and bars M&M from taking further bookings due to the ridiculously long wait times or orders a refund with penalties for those waiting longer than a few months.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 21st December 2021 at 11:33.
84.monsoon is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 16:06   #208
BHPian

"I don't see the point of the whole process, other than for M&M to continue to boast of a long waiting list and therefore increase the perceived value and exclusiveness in the eyes of current and prospective customers. the booking advance (Rs. 21000) is not much and is not going to help them with cash flows to a meaningful extent."

This is a strategy started long back by Maruti and perhaps adopted by many others. And it works well in India, longer the waiting period, more the perceived value.
BhayanaV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 19:24   #209
BHPian

For anyone landing on this thread, please check Thar thread on wait times/ delivery. It was discussed in "Thar official review thread", I do see so many similarities.
I went through that thread few days back and you can actually see whole roller coaster ride, second guessing about decision ( lot more in Thar due to second seat comfort factor and usability discussion around using it as daily commute car ), comments in Nov/Dec 2020 around booking times, they are getting deliveries lot earlier in 2021, all the cancellation decisions.
Old 21st December 2021, 19:32   #210
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why Mahindra couldn't have bought Ford's manufacturing facilities. May be , it's the chips which are the bottleneck and not the capacity?

Most Viewed