Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2023, 07:02   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

If one is not interested in the ADAS functions, should one still go for a 2021(15000 km) hector which is available at 17-18 lakhs in pre owned market? Obviously considering the car passes all the checks.

I feel with 18 inch wheels MG did solve the awkward looks. More concerned how much are the interiors upgraded and is it worth to stretch and get the new top variant sans ADAS at around 23-24L?

Last edited by 07CR : 2nd February 2023 at 07:05.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 07:26   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronit.khetarpal View Post
Hey I am considering getting myself the new hector as well. 2 hesitating points .
1. The F.E as told by some hector owner friends is a major drawback. It is stuck at 8-9 max in city whereas a creta or seltos gives around 11-12 .
2. Have heard a lot of bad reviews regarding the sales and service. The company is ignorant to customer complaints.
Id you could shed light on these points please .
Thanks
1. If you are going with car this big be ready for a single digit FE in car, specially when buying petrol, although initial impression seems this is giving better FE as per a post by fellow member, I am mentally prepared for the FE you mentioned. It is same with XUV 700 also.

2. Not sure about service yet but I have been thoroughly impressed by sales team till now, easily the best between all the showrooms I visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
If one is not interested in the ADAS functions, should one still go for a 2021(15000 km) hector which is available at 17-18 lakhs in pre owned market? Obviously considering the car passes all the checks.

I feel with 18 inch wheels MG did solve the awkward looks. More concerned how much are the interiors upgraded and is it worth to stretch and get the new top variant sans ADAS at around 23-24L?
If you are not interested in ADAS, you can go pre owned route you won’t be missing much from driving experience except better exteriors and interiors, if I am correct top end hector 2021 also came with 18” wheels or maybe it was 2022, don’t remember.

Major miss will be wireless android auto, all digital MID, soft touch at dashboard, bigger touchscreen and connected taillights at back, all that are good to have but not a deal breaker.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 07:30   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

If you are not interested in ADAS, you can go pre owned route you won’t be missing much from driving experience except better exteriors and interiors, if I am correct top end hector 2021 also came with 18” wheels or maybe it was 2022, don’t remember.

Major miss will be wireless android auto, all digital MID, soft touch at dashboard, bigger touchscreen and connected taillights at back, all that are good to have but not a deal breaker.
Thanks, yes the 2021 model came with 18 inch wheels and updated grill.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 08:17   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Hey I am considering getting myself the new hector as well. 2 hesitating points .
1. The F.E as told by some hector owner friends is a major drawback. It is stuck at 8-9 max in city whereas a creta or seltos gives around 11-12 .
2. Have heard a lot of bad reviews regarding the sales and service. The company is ignorant to customer complaints.
Thanks
My hector plus (petrol hybrid manual) returns 10 km to a litre during short bangalore city drives (less than 6 km).

The sales is excellent. The service is good. Service can improve if they have more service centres. As of now, the service centres are usually very busy. They take a full day for a routine service.
TSEA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:28   #215

Quote:
Thanks
Have owned a 2021 Hector CVT sharp for atleast two years now and can give my thoughts :

1) FE is definitely on the lower side, though not that much lower than other comparable auto petrol cars. In gridlock Mumbai traffic I get around 7-8 sometimes even 5-6. in other cities with more forgiving traffic people are getting around 9. But do not expect double digit FE in cities.
My advise to whoever is considering the CVT is to make peace with the FE before buying the car. If you are someone who won't be happy with this mileage ( aka my wife ) , it will spoil the ownership experience for sure. I am never bothered about it because my running is very low, but my wife/ extended family keep mentioning the FE every ride which is not fun at all.

2. Service and after sales experience for me personally has been amazing, both at the Malad and JVLR centres in Mumbai. Have had to call RSA two times, and both times MG service was exceptional. Have read on the FB group that some people have had problems, but those are few and far between.

I personally am very happy about my ownership experience, the car, and no regrets about the purchase.
itherohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:46   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
I am in the same boat and like the bang for the buck it offers. Considering it as a replacement for my compass eventually. Have not seen the car in flesh yet. Will do that someday soon.
FE is surely a concern but I would not compare it with creata or seltos. This is a significantly bigger and I am assuming heavier car also. I would compare it with the XUV700 or compass petrol though in those terms. Not sure who wins there.

The second part is a concern and would be good if some owner clarifies that.

My relative got an Astor last year and recently the motor in the sunroof malfunctioned. The showroom quoted 3-4 weeks of time as the part needs to come from China. That raised a red flag for me. Has any other owner seen similar delays in Astor/hector.
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:53   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Hector Plus diesel Sharp 6 seater, bought around a year back in Dec 2021.
The diesel variant gives good mileage and in Mixed use - it gives 15.5-16kmpl; on highways it can give around 20kmpl.

Regarding Service, my experience in Gurgaon has been very good so far and the MG service is extremely professional and courteous. In fact it is much better in terms of Infra, Service person skills and attitude too compared to the Jeep service centre (I also have a Jeep Compass). Moreover, for the regular service spares , it is 40% cheaper compared to the Jeep (which also uses the same engine).
So far I am quite happy with the Hector, my only gripe is really bad headlights (of pre-facelift version).

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd February 2023 at 11:55.
Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:11   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Got a chance to take a long test drive of the new hector.
Hello Athek, thank you for your inputs on Hector. I am also considering it, but in petrol manual. I would suggest you to see the possibility of using Rogerab Coil Spring Suspension Buffer (https://www.rogermotors.com/productdetail/rogerab-duo). I am using it in my Honda City 2018 and body rolls are very much controlled. I hope by using them in Hector, the body rolls as well as stability will be much (or slightly) better.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd February 2023 at 13:29. Reason: Quote tags fixed
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:20   #219

Hi There, FE for an automatic of that size is something you are going to live with whether it's a Hector or XUV7OO. That's a decision you need to take. First-hand experience over 2 years personally as an owner and on forums, MG has better user and customer service experience.
SM.Turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 14:55   #220

Friends need advice,

I drive a Terrano (85ps, manual, 9 years old) and Thar (automatic, 9 months old). Recently I developed tennis elbow in both my hands because of which I find driving these two a terrible strain. Both have a heavy steering, especially at parking and low speeds. While Terrano's steering is comparatively lighter, it being a manual negates the advantage.

I'm looking to replace Terrano with an SUV which would be easy to drive. My requirements are

1. Easy steering
2. Automatic
3. Spacious
4. Not sluggish

My budget is around 20L and can go up to 25. I have ruled out Creta and Seltos, one because of looks and the other because of the build quality. Petrol Hector is on my mind but I hear that the car struggles on highways (I do a lot of highway driving). Any suggestions?
Old 4th February 2023, 21:10   #221
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to book the Hector Plus Sharp Pro Automatic within the next couple of weeks.

The reason for not going for Savvy Pro? My driving is mainly within the city, bumper-to-bumper, Delhi-Gurgaon drive. An occasional highway drive, once in 6 months, does not warrant for ADAS (IMHO).

Checked out the car recently. Following are my quick observations:
  • Loved the interiors of the Hector Plus. Looks, fit and finish feels like from a segment above.
  • Overall interior quality - fit, finish, styling, leather feel - is much improved from the 2021 update.
  • I still have mixed opinions on the front grill, but it grows on you. Visited 4 different MG showrooms, wanting to checkout the available colors in person. 😁
  • Haven't driven the car yet, as my license has expired. 🤦🏼 Should receive by next week. Will then take a test drive of the petrol auto and do the booking.
  • My car will be both self-driven and chauffeur driven in the ratio of 50:50. So, from that perspective, loved the rear seat space and comfort. I am 6ft and this was a major criteria for decision making.
  • The rear seat has only 1 USB port, should have had at least 2. Or at least a 12V socket, which would have allowed to use 2 USB port accessory from the market. My current City has 2 12V sockets at the back.
  • Last row seats are only for kids or people shorter that 5'5", that too for short drives.
  • The rear seat windows should have had in-built sun blinds. Would have made this car almost complete and even more premium.
  • The hook on the side to recline the rear seats feels odd.
  • Not a fan of the co-passanger seat electronically adjustable. As I'll be chauffeur driven 50% of the time, I prefer to push the passenger seat all the way forward to free up max space at the back. Electrical adjustment makes the entire process tedious and slow. Boss mode is a miss in this case.
  • Infotainment system has a slight lag but not a deal breaker. Seem more of a software respons issue and hopefully MG can fix with updates.
  • Love the plethora of customization options available within the 14inch touch screen. Reminded me of the first One Plus phone. The ones who owned it would understand 😁

Now I have 2 queries, both from existing Hector owners and the new ones:
  1. Did any of you took the service package for either 3 or 5 years. There is a 'Protect Classic' and then there is a 'Protect Premium'. The first one covers only Labour + Parts + Lubes (INR12k for 3 yrs and INR25k for 5yrs). The second one is a little more extensive with coverage for 'Wear and Tear parts' as well (INR45k for 3yrs and INR80K for 5yrs). QUESTION to existing owners - is it worth going for basis your service cost experience? Any new owner taken any of these packages? Attaching the package list below for reference.
  2. Has anyone got a PPF job done? Worth going for it? I am debating between getting the black or a red Hector Plus.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you.
And a BIG Congratulations to all those who got their 2023 Hector or done their bookings.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img20230204wa0010.jpg  

ankan_g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 22:20   #222
BHPian

Can anyone help me to turn off "auto turn indicator" feature when steering wheel is rotated at slow speed? I could not find it's setting anywhere in the car. This feature is more troublesome than being helpful in Indian condition where we rarely drive straight in city area. I am afraid MG decided to not give disable option?

Last edited by techcoze : 4th February 2023 at 22:21.
Old 5th February 2023, 06:31   #223

I have a booking for Scorpio-N Z8 D AT booking with price lock and the Expected delivery is mid-April 2023
Another booking for XUV 700 AX7L P AT booking, expected delivery is June 2023

I recently TD'd Hector and here are some of my confusions:
I am worried about MG as a brand, as Indian government is not letting MG bring in FDI for Chinese owner reasons, would MG stay or leave India if the JV they are trying for don't work out. If MG exits India, obviously resell value will be very bad.
Mahindra has far more accessible service stations than an MG and with all the tech in Hector, I am worried about the longevity of the car and the tech itself.

I am not impressed with the lackluster engine but the features are tempting.

My brain says go for MG as the drive will be relaxed with ADAS n all but little dull, my wife also mentioned that I was cautious while TDing Hector compared to Scorpio-N's, not sure if that was because the car didn't give me enough confidence to push.
My heart says go for Scorpio-N, whenever I remember the TD I had with Scorpio-N, I still can feel that invincible feeling.
Old 5th February 2023, 07:26   #224
BHPian

My Experience with booking an MG Hector 2023

Hey all, Booked the Hector Sharp Pro CVT 5 Seater Starry Black on Monday, getting delivery tomorrow. The booking experience was great and everything went well until I noticed a difference of Rs. 12,485/- on the Road Tax paid to Parivahan.

The Sales Rep quoted me Rs. 4,49,678/- as Road Tax in our messages but I received an SMS from Parivahan that the Tax has been paid and that only Rs. 4,37,193/- has been received with the receipt no.

I immediately called up the Sales Rep and he said he'd check and replied that it might have been the "Logistics Charges" that might have added on.

I immediately refuted asking how he disguised them into Road Tax and that this is clearly an attempt to scam me not to mention illegal. Once I raised voice, he said he'll immediately refund the amount or adjust it to my pending bill for accessories I've purchased.

Anyways, always read through the fine print, make sure you provide your mobile number for Parivahan registration and keep an eye on your messages and the amounts being paid.
krsnasgr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 08:23   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
I have a booking for Scorpio-N Z8 D AT booking with price lock and the Expected delivery is mid-April 2023
Another booking for XUV 700 AX7L P AT booking, expected delivery is June 2023

I recently TD'd Hector and here are some of my confusions:
I am worried about MG as a brand, as Indian government is not letting MG bring in FDI for Chinese owner reasons, would MG stay or leave India if the JV they are trying for don't work out. If MG exits India, obviously resell value will be very bad.
Mahindra has far more accessible service stations than an MG and with all the tech in Hector, I am worried about the longevity of the car and the tech itself.

I am not impressed with the lackluster engine but the features are tempting.

My brain says go for MG as the drive will be relaxed with ADAS n all but little dull, my wife also mentioned that I was cautious while TDing Hector compared to Scorpio-N's, not sure if that was because the car didn't give me enough confidence to push.
My heart says go for Scorpio-N, whenever I remember the TD I had with Scorpio-N, I still can feel that invincible feeling.
You should definitely buy the scorpion, no point buying something this expensive with so many questions and concerns.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks