Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2023, 16:42   #196
BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Can anyone confirm the ADAS features in the diesel model? It seems that there are lesser number of ADAS features in diesel variant compared to cvt petrol.
Dilip
Hello Dilipkumar7278, ADAS features are not available in diesel MG Hector / Hector Plus. It is only available in Petrol CVT (also not in Petrol Manual)
GoBabyGo is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 22:04   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Update on Savvy Pro CVT - Got a confirmation on allotment. I will be on official trip this week, hence planning to take delivery over weekend. Finally, the day is very close!
Congratulations on the allotment. Do post pics when you take delivery.

My SA is saying they haven't received any 7 seaters yet and it should come by next week and post that allotment. Now that he knows i am going with MG he is taking it lightly

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2023 at 08:12. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
nightrider007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 22:54   #198
BHPian

Seems like official reviews will come on 9th Feb 12noon, as confirmed on Instagram for Powerdrift.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230131_225331_instagram.jpg  

manpreetsj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 01:09   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Can't make out what made you decide on this car. I don't have anything against it, but have you seen how the car's body is disproportionate? Long but not wide, big, mammoth body and tiny legs (tyres) and tiny engine to propel such a heavy weight. Also, do we buy a car for a 14" infotainment system which is dead slow? Are you really expecting a mileage of 16 km/l+ from an MG Hector?

Driving inside the city definitely requires an automatic transmission. I'll not suggest anything but drive other available options and see what others are offering. And for God's sake don't call this MUV an SUV.

At the end of the day, it sums up whether you want to see yourself inside a Chinese "Jugaad" or a proper piece of engineering.
Poor humbug me, must've spent 25 Lakhs with my eyes closed and without evaluating any other option. Or maybe I was too dumb to weigh the pros and cons and arrive at a decision which made sense for me.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, thanks for expressing yours. I'm not going to talk about facelift / pre-facelift comparisons. Or whether there is sufficient power or not(hint: it's enough for my needs). I'm not even going to touch the "Chinese" comment with a 12-feet pole covered in anti-fungal cream.

But I AM going to point out, protest against and request not to make these forums a cesspool of unnecessary negativity, targeting and fingerpointing. After a hard day's work, a person opens team-bhp to discuss/debate with, share jubiliations & sorrow and learn from fellow members, not read negative targeted comments like these. A forum enriches from disagreements and there's always a good way to disagree. Request you to endeavour a bit more to find it.

You say potato, I say tomato. Lets please allow everyone to enjoy their own soups and not throw the ingredients at each other's faces

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2023 at 19:57. Reason: Quoted text edited
recalcitrant is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 08:56   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post
Hardwiring is totally possible. There are VCC and ACC fuses along with a body bolt in the fuse box. Dealer probably doesn't want to take the hassle.

Below is the rear camera being installed. No wires were cut anywhere, doesn't void the warranty. Didn't take any pic of the fuse box hardwiring, sorry.
Attachment 2412288
Thank you! Talked to them again and they agreed that it is possible.
Old 1st February 2023, 09:36   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumaniac View Post
Just got to see the new Hector. Looks gorgeous.

But got an offer from the dealer. I can get the 2022 Sharp CVT for 21.5 (approx) on road. The new Sharp CVT will cost me 23.6 (approx) on road. Are the 2l extra worth the upgrades hector is offering?

Any inputs are appreciated. I'm also test driving a few pre-owned XUV700s. I'm playing the field with a budget of approx 20L.

If you're planning to keep the car for a long time, then the difference in resale value wouldn't be that much. But if you're planning to upgrade in 5/6yrs then better to go for the new model
Old 1st February 2023, 10:03   #202
BHPian

Bumper-to-bumper crawl-traffic FE update in Bengaluru.

11.4kmpl was a pleasant surprise. Drove almost completely in Normal mode, probably 5% in Eco mode. Didn't like Eco mode at all. For some reason, the gearbox becomes too jerky in Eco and the car lunges ahead at times and braking bite increases (or the creep function loses force, not sure which), making Eco mode useless for exactly the situation it should've excelled in - hopefully this improves over time

But good to see this FE number. This is way better than my older 2016 Elantra 2.0 AT, which used to give me 8-9 FE in the same traffic conditions

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230201_095703_mg-ismart.jpg
recalcitrant is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 12:53   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Bumper-to-bumper crawl-traffic FE update in Bengaluru.

Attachment 2413333
What does it exactly categorize as hard braking? Seems like a high number for driving in bumper traffic.
Old 1st February 2023, 13:56   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
What does it exactly categorize as hard braking? Seems like a high number for driving in bumper traffic.
It's random. A complete stop it categorizes as hard braking. 90 degree turns it categorizes as sudden turns
recalcitrant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 18:40   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Hardwiring is totally possible. There are VCC and ACC fuses along with a body bolt in the fuse box. Dealer probably doesn't want to take the hassle.

Below is the rear camera being installed. No wires were cut anywhere, doesn't void the warranty. Didn't take any pic of the fuse box hardwiring, sorry.
Attachment 2412288
Where did you get the dashcam installed, dealer is refusing, so in search for an after market accessories installer in Bangalore.
Old 1st February 2023, 18:45   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinbie2019 View Post
Where did you get the dashcam installed, dealer is refusing, so in search for an after market accessories installer in Bangalore.
Got the dashcam on Amazon. Search for Redtiger T27 + hardwiring kit. Then take it to any accessories shop and they should be able to do the hardwiring easily. I used MW car detailing in Whitefield
recalcitrant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 20:05   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
I was able to do a longish test drive of the New Hector CVT on Saturday. Here are a few quick observations:

- The in person apperance is less in your face than it seems in the pictures and in my opinion looks more SUV'ish now than the previous gen
- Saw it in 3 different colors (White, Silver and Dune Brown), One of those cars that looks good in any color
- Engine and Transmission are butter smooth. Acceleration was linear and it was a breeze to drive in the City
- NVH levels are excellent
- The infotainment system screams premium from the look of it but might be a pain to operate on a day to day basis. Voice commands work 2 out of 3 times so can't be relied upon
- The lag in the infotainment system was evident but definitely not a deal breaker
- The interior of the Hector Plus looks much more premium than the Hector. Although the combination may not be to everyone's liking. All Brown seats vs. the combination on offer would have been better
I too took a longish test drive yesterday and here are my observations
1. There is a definite lag at low speeds 0-30km/hr but kickdown acceleration from 40-100km/hr is really good. The lag is definitely not a deal breaker for me as i already used to diesel turbo lag.
2. The most disturbing thing is the boat like feeling. There is a boat like floating feeling from 40km/hr to 100km/hr. Did not drive more than that. I drive fluidic verna 2014 model which itself is not great when it comes to high speed manners (Although greatly improved in 2014 edition). But in case of hector this was worse.
3. Steering is heavier then verna and low speed in city manuvering is not comfortable.
4. The touch screen display is laggy and touch response is poor. large number of vital functions such as operating AC are controlled through touch screen only without any physical buttons. This is a recipe for disaster. You won't be able to do anything on touch screen while on the move, else will meet with an accident, the touch response is that bad. Some vital information such as fuel efficiency, operating gear is missing in both MID or display. It appears resistive screen not capacitive.
5. Car interiors are definately the best in the segment.
6. Build quality is solid tank like.
7. The facelift car is great looking from all directions you look at. The car looks great in whatever colour is available(White, black , red)
drsachin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 23:31   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a chance to take a long test drive of the new hector. My son was having headache in my car but not in dad's baleno, so I had requested MG to give me a long test drive on highway, and they obliged by letting me drive as long as I want. I took it for almost a 80 Km long drive, kudos and hats off to MG Hector Showroom at ORR for being so accomodating, as they had to take special approval for such a long drive.

My Observations

Pros

1. Car is spacious and has a very commanding driving position and the seats are very comfortable and very accomodating.
2. The interiors are really amazing for the 5 seater, though our test drive car was Hector Plus 7 Seater.
3. Car takes a bit of time to get rolling but once it starts picking speed it accelerates quickly and reaches 80 at no time, I was cruising at 100 with the RPM at around 2000.
4. ADAS features work well, and it might come as a surprise for the first time as the steering becomes heavy and firm to be in the same lane while in cruise mode.
5. The car really looks nice from pretty much every angle, the TD car was white and had quite a bit of road presence. It does not feel like a SUV but then also does not feel like a MUV also, it's able to strike a balance in between.
6. Ride quality is supple and feels planted in low speeds, but as you gain speeds the big body shows it's color and you do feel the boat like ride quality as described above. It is not a deal breaker but will take time getting used to.
7. The lag of music system is taken care by Apple carplay, which connects seamlessly and is absolutely fluid to use, on the down side it does not activate the ORVM camera while putting on the indicator when you are on carplay.
8. The auto indicator though touted as gimmick actually works well when you need to take a slow turn, they do come up before the car starts turning, i was able to activate them easily few times, though they are still best controlled manually.
9. Loaded with features which puts many other cars in same price segment and even a segment above to shame and they all work seamlessly.
10. Ac was very good and had the car really cool at lowest blower setting and temperature set to 24 on ACC, we did test drive it in evening so that added to keep the cabin cool.
11. Amazing boot space in 5 seater, can carry loads of equipment and stuff.
12. The car can be put in manual mode and has 7 gears which you can go up and down by moving the gear lever on left and will definitely give confidence while making quick overtakes.
13. Great build quality.
14. Ambient lights are beautiful and though now they have removed it from cup holders they still have a strip running under the hand rest which gives it a nice feel. Additionaly you have ambient lights on bottle holders on all 4 doors and in footwell. Would have been great if they had given a strip on the passenger doors also.
15. The stock music system is amazing and is exteremly well calibrated.
16. Dedicated icons for apple carplay and android auto, makes life so much easier.
17. The all around LED lights specially the back lights look amazing and the sequential indicators add class to the outside look.
18. Great Build quality
19. Best thing kiddo did not have a headache.

Not so good

1. Lights are mediocre, while transitioning from dusk to night, they pretty much were non existent in low beam, once darkness sets in they work decent and High beam has good throw. Probably instead of all LED setup manufacturers should keep low beam as Halogen, my favorite lights till date continue to be one on my dad Baleno, it is amazing.
2. Music system is still Laggy, and needs work, it has to be more fluidic. Though a lot of tasks can be done by voice commands, it is no excuse that MG should have worked harder on it. It was all over the internet and also user feedback which MG did not work on but ended up increasing the size of the system instead. The only saving grace is that Apple car play works flawlessly, and that is what I will use 99% of the time, so i am not too worried, but hopefully some software updates fix this.
3. The Big Hector logo in the back in is not to my liking it is too much on your face and should have been smaller.
4. The use of chrome could have been reduced.
5. It's a big car and turning radius is much higher then Vento, need to plan U turns better and tight U turns will take some effort.
6. MID Display is a bit dull and though I did not change the brightness and I am not sure what brightness it was on, it can be a bit more crisper, even at the brightness setting it was on.
7. Test drive car still did not have a footboard so getting in and out was a bit of exercise.
8. Maybe they should have introduced a new alloy design to differentiate the side profile.
9. The camera quality is not great as compared to competition, could have worked more on this as well, though 360 degree camera in itself work great.

Cons

1. Interior Color on 7 seater was not to our liking, thank god wife had seen the 5 seater first, or she might have rejected the car just for this color. The Beige black combo looks great, and they should have given that as an option atleast for 6 and 7 seater.
2. USB C Ports are missing, should have given few, now will need to use adapters for charging, though with wireless charging it is not too much needed for driver, but there are other who would need to charge phones.
3. The car needs to be driven with light foot or rubber band effect is quite evident as it is all engine noise and no movement if you go hard on accelerator. This car is best driven with a relaxed right foot.
4. Sports mode is pretty much a joke, you are better of using the manual trip tronic then going sports mode.
5. Missing Auto in diesel is a big miss.

Overall Verdict: I have requested them to give me a better quote on insurace to which they have asked me to get a quote from outside and they will try to match it. I will contemplate it for a couple of days but i am 99% sold on the car and will be booking the Hector Savvy Pro in black in next few days. To some one who called it a chinese jugaad above, sorry buddy you are grossly mistaken, it is no where a jugaad but a very well rounded of product at a sensible price compared to a lot of other counterparts. I think you should go take a look at the car once. What good is a well engineered product if it breaks down more then a chinese jugaad.

Leaving you with some pics.

The big infotainement system

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-whatsapp-image-20230201-8.05.57-pm-1.jpeg

A very nice side profile

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-whatsapp-image-20230201-8.05.57-pm-2.jpeg

Front Fiasca, I am glad that it fit well in my parking. It literally towers over the Venue.

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-whatsapp-image-20230201-8.05.57-pm-3.jpeg

The side profile with DRL and lights on.

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-whatsapp-image-20230201-8.05.57-pm-4.jpeg

View from rear seat, notice the ambient lights below the hand rest.

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-whatsapp-image-20230201-8.05.57-pm-5.jpeg

Rear looks very nice, except for the big hector chrome, this will most probably be on way out from my car.

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-whatsapp-image-20230201-8.05.57-pm-6.jpeg

The MID in evening light.

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-whatsapp-image-20230201-8.05.57-pm.jpeg

Last edited by AtheK : 1st February 2023 at 23:59.
AtheK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 23:34   #209
BHPian

Just test drove the car. I really wanted it to work out. Too many features giving great vfm, very spacious, a great city car. Interiors were good, seats were comfy and it is definitely a car to seriously shortlist. However, there was a fatal flaw, the driver seat wouldn't move back far enough! (I fully lowered it as well) I'm 6 feet tall and i simply can't rest my leg comfortably near the accelerator. And it seems to go an even shorter distance in the manual variant for some reason, making it even more cramped. Very unfortunate that such a great car has to be excluded from my shortlist for such an unforseen reason. Tall drivers beware. Chauffeur driven people book it right away, definitely a better value proposition than the korean cars and a lot, lot more space than similarly priced kushaq virtus etc
hrk997 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 02:02   #210

Hey I am considering getting myself the new hector as well. 2 hesitating points .
1. The F.E as told by some hector owner friends is a major drawback. It is stuck at 8-9 max in city whereas a creta or seltos gives around 11-12 .
2. Have heard a lot of bad reviews regarding the sales and service. The company is ignorant to customer complaints.
Id you could shed light on these points please .
Thanks
ronit.khetarpal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks