Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2023, 11:36   #181
BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

Hello recalcitrant, many congratulations for your Hector. Wish you happy miles for the years to come.

I am also considering to buy Hector, a petrol Smart Pro manual. Coming from Honda City, I am very much concerned about mileage as in my City I am regularly getting 16+ in daily office drive. My next office car entitlement is from April 2023 so not in a hurry to visit the showroom. I would first like to see the Hector on road to get a feel of the car, how it look. Another aspect is I may have to spend upward of 5 lacs from my pocket (over & above my entitlement & resale value of my existing City), I am not sure if spending 5 lacs on Hector which I will keep for maximum 5 years (when I get my next car entitlement). Hopefully after 5 years, I will switch to EV or Full Hybrid.

I have driven 2021 Hector of a colleague very briefly and I found it reasonably powerful. As a City owner my biggest challenge to change my car is Space, FE & comfort which City offers. I am relatively young (49 years old) and feel I can still drive a manual for another 5 years comfortably. My office route is also have less traffic and our highways are excellent now.

Congratulations once again and hope you keep updating about your Hector experience regularly.
GoBabyGo is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 13:26   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post
Hey folks,

Had taken delivery for my Sharp Pro Starry Black CVT Hector on Wednesday, 25th of January. Here's my initial observations post (been meaning to write earlier, but have been so so occupied)

That's all for now, folks. Taking the car to a Bengaluru-Goa trip the coming weekend. Should have more points to talk about when I return (praises hopefully)
Congratulations!!! thanks for the initial observations, FE sounds good so far, hopefully will get better after the first service.

Is the IRVM so bad??

how is the job on the undercarriage coating? any idea what has been used here?

Looking forward to hearing more on your longer trip experience.
Old 30th January 2023, 15:52   #183

Congratulations on your new car! Looks amazing. I have booked a Petrol CVT and is waiting for the delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post
(solved it later though, added a RedTiger dashcam that clamps to the IRVM and affixed its rear camera near the rear number plate light).
How did you wire the dashcam, the dealer said hardwiring is not possible. Did you do it through the USB port? Please share if you have a pic. Thanks!
Old 30th January 2023, 16:29   #184

Just got to see the new Hector. Looks gorgeous.

But got an offer from the dealer. I can get the 2022 Sharp CVT for 21.5 (approx) on road. The new Sharp CVT will cost me 23.6 (approx) on road. Are the 2l extra worth the upgrades hector is offering?

Any inputs are appreciated. I'm also test driving a few pre-owned XUV700s. I'm playing the field with a budget of approx 20L.
Old 30th January 2023, 19:34   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanoj_s View Post
How did you wire the dashcam, the dealer said hardwiring is not possible. Did you do it through the USB port? Please share if you have a pic. Thanks!
Hardwiring is totally possible. There are VCC and ACC fuses along with a body bolt in the fuse box. Dealer probably doesn't want to take the hassle.

Below is the rear camera being installed. No wires were cut anywhere, doesn't void the warranty. Didn't take any pic of the fuse box hardwiring, sorry.
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-20230126_131435.jpg

Last edited by recalcitrant : 30th January 2023 at 19:39.
recalcitrant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 19:49   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post

Couple of questions -
1) if you test drove 2021 Hector earlier, did you feel any diff compared to that? Or other than looks, everything else remains as is?

2) Infinity system comes with local sub/amp or the imported one (supposed to be better)? Few months back they had replaced original one with locally sourced one due to supply issues.
1. Handling and engine-wise, I'd say nothing has changed. This being a new car, engine hasn't opened up, suspension, tyres etc yet to settle down. But didn't find any fundamental differences

2. Didn't know about this. Will check tonight. Is there any specific branding etc I should look for?
recalcitrant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 21:22   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumaniac View Post

But got an offer from the dealer. I can get the 2022 Sharp CVT for 21.5 (approx) on road. The new Sharp CVT will cost me 23.6 (approx) on road. Are the 2l extra worth the upgrades hector is offering?

Any inputs are appreciated. I'm also test driving a few pre-owned XUV700s. I'm playing the field with a budget of approx 20L.
Hi Manu,
Is this CH or PB registration?
If you are exploring and open to used, cars24 had 2021 CVT at 16lakh in Chandigarh. They seem to have sold it ,but that should give you an idea about the pricing.
On your question, personally I would either buy used at 15 16 lakhs and save a chunk of money or buy the latest one. No point buying MY2022 from the dealer, don't get best of either world's.
I am also in tricity and exploring with similar budget as yours!
tarunkassana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 08:04   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumaniac View Post

If you don't want to spend too much right now but are open to risk of lower resale value (2022MY and old gen car), then definitely 21.5L is a good price (I'm sure you will try to juice it further).

If I was in your shoes, I would have stretched a bit and gone for new gen to get best of what MG can offer today. The interiors alone are such an upgrade and the front grille and new creases makes the car look more bold and beast/SUV like stance (earlier many used to say it looks like MUV from certain angles).

Last edited by manpreetsj : 31st January 2023 at 08:06.
manpreetsj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 09:04   #189

A quick question to everyone here who has seen the new gen hector in both 5 seater and 7 seater versions - Do you see any perceived difference in interior quality given the oak white vs brown colored finishes?

Asking as we would like to go for the 7 seater trim but were a bit put off by the (rather cheap looking) black colored texture on the seat rears. Plus the oak white n black contrast looks very plush in the 5 seater trims!

Just want to know is it just us thinking too much or otherwise

By the way I have been following this thread to get details on the new gen hector since late last year and wanted to thank everyone for sharing some excellent updates/suggestions based on their experiences - personally helped me a lot to cancel my xuv700 booking and go with this one!
Old 31st January 2023, 10:04   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Do you see any perceived difference in interior quality given the oak white vs brown colored finishes?

Asking as we would like to go for the 7 seater trim but were a bit put off by the (rather cheap looking) black colored texture on the seat rears. Plus the oak white n black contrast looks very plush in the 5 seater trims!
Dual tone seats in 7-seater model are definitely reducing interior premium-ness. But at the same time oak white interior of 5 seater trim is very difficult to maintain, and IMO it might start showing age in few years looking a bit dull (noticed this when test drove 2-3 year old demo car).

Nevertheless I still went ahead with 7 seater model since it's practicality of switching between 5/7 seat config (by collapsing last row) based on family needs is also important for me.

Remediation option I have been thinking: Can we replace new 2023 7-seater seat cover with old 2022 single tone ones?
techcoze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 11:27   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hello recalcitrant, many congratulations for your Hector. Wish you happy miles for the years to come.
Congratulations once again and hope you keep updating about your Hector experience regularly.
Can't make out what made you decide on this car. I don't have anything against it, but have you seen how the car's body is disproportionate? Long but not wide, big, mammoth body and tiny legs (tyres) and tiny engine to propel such a heavy weight. Also, do we buy a car for a 14" infotainment system which is dead slow? Are you really expecting a mileage of 16 km/l+ from an MG Hector?

Driving inside the city definitely requires an automatic transmission. I'll not suggest anything but drive other available options and see what others are offering. And for God's sake don't call this MUV an SUV.

At the end of the day, it sums up whether you want to see yourself inside a Chinese "Jugaad" or a proper piece of engineering.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2023 at 19:56. Reason: Edited for better readability
Ajaybiz is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st January 2023, 11:59   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Can't make out what made you decide on this car. I don't have anything against it, but have you seen how the car's body is disproportionate? Long but not wide, big, mammoth body and tiny legs (tyres) and tiny engine to propel such a heavy weight. Also, do we buy a car for a 14" infotainment system which is dead slow? Are you really expecting a mileage of 16 km/l+ from an MG Hector?

Driving inside the city definitely requires an automatic transmission. I'll not suggest anything but drive other available options and see what others are offering. And for God's sake don't call this MUV an SUV.

At the end of the day, it sums up whether you want to see yourself inside a Chinese "Jugaad" or a proper piece of engineering.
Dear Ajaybiz, thank you for your suggestion and sincere appreciate your valuable inputs. I am not expecting Hector MT to give me 16+ FE, but honestly I don't think people expect 16+ FE from Honda City in city condition but I manage to extract 16+ in Honda City in my entire 55k+ kms I have driven till yet . I am hoping to extract around 14 FE in city condition from Hector (on my home to office route where I drive 90% of times). I totally agree with you regarding exterior disproportionate look of Hector, but it doesn't look as bad as mentioned by you. As far as petrol engine of Hector is concerned, I agree with you that it is not as solid as iVtech, but it is reasonably powerful specially when I opt for manual transmission where I can modify my driving style as per engine. Hector clutch is light and gear shift is excellent too which will help. Hector is MUV and by no means it is a SUV and I am okay with owning a MUV of Hector size. "Chinese" MG is in India since June 2019 with Hector & other vehicles and it is almost 3.5 years Hector is being sold in India, I don't think except poor FE reported by some DCT or CVT owners, any major (or minor) problems faced by people (compared to say Harrier & Safari). I don't agree to call it Chinese "Jugad" as mentioned by you, MG products are well put together and at par with what Hyundai was in its initial years in India (may be better than Hyundai in many areas).

I have not yet finalized MG Hector, still considering because my requirement is petrol only and I will keep your thoughts in mind when I take a test drive of Hector. Thanks again!!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2023 at 19:56. Reason: Quoted text edited
GoBabyGo is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 12:21   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post

Friend, you should go to nearest MG showroom and checkout facelift version. Your comments are sounding very pre-covid era when first Hector came out with 17 inchers. Let's not be devoid of reality and get the feel of something before passing judgement. In case you have already visited showroom and then commenting, I will take back my words.

Update on Savvy Pro CVT - Got a confirmation on allotment. I will be on official trip this week, hence planning to take delivery over weekend. Finally, the day is very close!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2023 at 19:56. Reason: Quoted text edited
manpreetsj is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 15:36   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Friend, you should go to nearest MG showroom and checkout facelift version. Your comments are sounding very pre-covid era when first Hector came out with 17inchers. Let's not be devoid of reality and get the feel of something before passing judgement. In case you have already visited showroom and then commenting, I will take back my words.

Update on Savvy Pro CVT - Got a confirmation on allotment. I will be on official trip this week, hence planning to take delivery over weekend. Finally, the day is very close!
Totally agree, the facelift doesn't seem disproportionate to me, and seems like an excellently put together product. Something that I cannot say about the Tata duo. For God's sake even my 8 year old Polo has better quality plastics and a much better looking steering wheel.

People when buying a product are also looking for a peace of mind ownership, which I feel MG has established in its 3 years in India.

Many congratulations on the allotment. Do post pics of the delivery. I am still waiting for an allotment from the store. SA is saying that it could happen by next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2023 at 08:11. Reason: Typos; quoted post edited
arsh9191 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 16:17   #195
BANNED

Can anyone confirm the ADAS features in the diesel model? It seems that there are lesser number of ADAS features in diesel variant compared to cvt petrol.
Dilip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks