Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
do you mean drive around 90KM/day
Nope i meant driving speed 90 Kilometers Per Hour
Old 24th January 2006, 16:11   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchandra
I put 500/- petrol (Standard) and before that i make sure that the needle shows almost zero or above that. Then i reset my trip meter and then i see the value when the needle reaches the same point. I also make sure i take conservative approach so that real values can be better.
....But what could be the max error if i check using the needle location.
Many people here will tell you that going by fuel guage indicator/location of needle is error prone (which it is). However, if you are patient enough to record your readings for few iterations and then average them, you should be getting fairly accurate FE numbers.
Old 24th January 2006, 18:38   #303
BHPian

we hav an Accent Tornado and have never given us more than 10 in city...highwayz it goes upto 12
ALL FIGURES WITH AC

Last edited by Veelubai : 24th January 2006 at 18:39.
Old 24th January 2006, 19:23   #304
BHPian

I get around 12 kmpl in city and 18 kmpl on highways on my VIVA CRDi
Old 24th January 2006, 19:28   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor
I have Indica DLS and it has done 18K kms till now. I had my third service recently and after that i got around 14.50 KMPL with nearly 90% of the time AC working.

I drive at 90KMPH usually and i can say 40% of the distance is done in congested city traffic and the rest in outskirts.

I was told by a cab driver that this is very less and he said he is getting 18KMPL with AC in city traffic. Can anyone validate this? Please tell me what is the average mileage gven by Indica V2 DLS
I thought you have a Turbo Indi? Anyways, about this 18kmpl with AC in city... the same old question... so which city is this mate? Jokes apart, I think my new V2 gives around 16 in city (true city that is). This figures does not change much even with the AC on. About your cab driver guy... does he own the cab? I do not think so... So his is a case of mirch-masala over some conjectures.
Old 24th January 2006, 19:47   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchandra
But what could be the max error if i check using the needle location.
Good question. Let me tell you my yesterday's experience. I needed to send the car to the garage for some work today. So for the first time I took just 4 liters of fuel, just about enough for one day. I was surprised to find that the fuel gauge moved by a hairline. I was watching the movement intently just for this purpose.

So if you see a position today and a few days later try to match up the same position you may very well be talking about 4-5ltrs of more or less fuel. Now its for you to work out how much of a difference that can make to your calculations.

There is a similar way (to your way) available to measure the FE. It may not be possible to do for most people though. If you have a very fixed regime and know the exact kms that you drive everyday then you can take the middle of the fuel gauge line as the base. fill up the car and then keep driving till the needle comes back exactly on the middle of the gauge to cover the half-way mark. Now find out from the no. of days how many kms you have driven for the fuel that you filled up the last time. On both occassions ensure that the car is parked on a completely flat stretch (no slopes).
Old 24th January 2006, 20:26   #307
BHPian

i have a xing(bs 2) and i get around 12kmpl in a mix of city and highway driving.
Old 24th January 2006, 21:50   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
There is a similar way (to your way) available to measure the FE. It may not be possible to do for most people though. If you have a very fixed regime and know the exact kms that you drive everyday then you can take the middle of the fuel gauge line as the base. fill up the car and then keep driving till the needle comes back exactly on the middle of the gauge to cover the half-way mark. Now find out from the no. of days how many kms you have driven for the fuel that you filled up the last time. On both occassions ensure that the car is parked on a completely flat stretch (no slopes).
that too is not very accurate

the best possible way to measure is to fill up your car upto the mark when fuel nozzle sensor automatically cuts off fuel supply, note km if possible set trip meter to zero
use car for some days, the longer the better
then agian fill from same pump upto the mark where sensor cuts off fuel supply, note reading & fuel filled

final reading - intial reading will give you total distance travelled
divide it by amount of fuel put in & you will get fuel efficiency
Old 24th January 2006, 22:03   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that too is not very accurate

the best possible way to measure is to fill up your car upto the mark when fuel nozzle sensor automatically cuts off fuel supply, note km if possible set trip meter to zero
use car for some days, the longer the better
then agian fill from same pump upto the mark where sensor cuts off fuel supply, note reading & fuel filled

This is indeed the best possible method. Also recommended by Maruti guys to me. BTW i get 12-12.5kmpl in exclusive city driving (w/o AC) in my wagonR and 14-15 kmpl in M800.
Old 24th January 2006, 23:20   #310
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the best possible way to measure is to fill up your car up to the mark when fuel nozzle sensor automatically cuts off fuel supply
I don't think auto cutoff is very accurate, auto cutoffs are inconsistent... cut offs are sometimes triggered before time due to air stuck inside the tank which could not escape in time.

The best is to fill it to the brim... wait a few secs.. and the fuel goes in... and fill again. This is exactly what ACI guys followed for their FE tests.

I have ALWAYS filled it to the brim .... and in years I have become so used to it that I know how much fuel should go in...... the max variation has been 0.5L.

FE for my wagonR has been from 10-16.2 in city always with some a/c... it just depends where I go.. coz I don't have a fixed destination for long.

On highways.... 12-16 is what I can remember ... ... (you go out for fun, you tend to drive hard and enjoy)
Old 24th January 2006, 23:55   #311
Senior - BHPian

How i Calculate FE on fiesta ?

Filled it with diesel of rs 1500 around 45.45 ltrs. the car ran 990 kms. when i got it filled again. where as the DTE in car was telling that it go another 10 km. So FE came around 22. This is fully in city and very light footed. no races. Pure driving like i am a driver of a Limousine..
Old 24th January 2006, 23:56   #312
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
the best possible way to measure is to fill up your car upto the mark when fuel nozzle sensor automatically cuts off fuel supply, note km if possible set trip meter to zero use car for some days, the longer the better

I think this is the only accurate way to measure FE. Measuring FE by looking at the needle is always error prone.

Cheers
Old 25th January 2006, 00:02   #313
Senior - BHPian

Though i think best way to calculate FE is fill your car upto brim. Drive around 100 KM and then again fill it. And see how many litres it got filled again and calculate the FE.
Old 25th January 2006, 00:34   #314
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Though i think best way to calculate FE is fill your car upto brim. Drive around 100 KM and then again fill it. And see how many litres it got filled again and calculate the FE.
No. This is not the correct way. When you are filling upto the brim, there is always a possibility that the person filling the fuel may not stop the pump exactly when the fuel is at the brim level and some fuel may get spilled out. This results in incorrect calculation. The correct way to measure FE is to fill only till the pump shuts off.

Cheers
Old 25th January 2006, 00:38   #315
jat
BHPian

Filling up to brim or auto-cut off point is the best way. But you have to make sure that air is removed from the tank. For that you have to put your rear car wheel on the fuel cap side on the ramp or push the car rear up and down lightly.

RK

Most Viewed