Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 23:55   #4711
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
You already have run it for 1.15L kms, what do you have to worry? Unless it is the first time you are getting such FE?

Nevertheless, High or low FE usually has no impact on the Engine life. Driving style is.
If you are lugging the engine, it will impact the engine life. But I do not think so, because contrary to the popular belief of high gear and very low speeds gives good FE, if you are not in the right gear, you get much lower FE.

You are doing well.
Actually earlier I never bothered to calculate what FE I was getting. Somehow in last few recent highway trips I calculated the average using simple tankful method and got these kind of figures. I always supposed the average, max to max to be 19-20kmpl on highways and the aforementioned figures were somewhat surprising for me.

And yes! I intend to keep this car for whole of my life, may be a this could be a reason I got a little worried and paranoid, I guess.

Thanks
Aakarsh
Old 9th February 2016, 15:46   #4712
BHPian

Checked the mileage of my 2015 Hyundai Xcent VTVT SX(O) last week. I got a whopping 671 kms in about 37 liters. That translates to a shade over 18 kmpl, which I thought was mind-numbing!

Driving conditions were 100% AC, 95% Bangalore city traffic (8AM/5PM drive through probably some of the most congested roads - read Whitefield - of the city) with a 75km airport round-trip thrown in. Number of occupants is 1 for 98% of the time (I've been trying car-pooling on & off, but that's for a different thread I suppose).

Oh and the second servicing is due this week for the car @ 10,000 kms/1 year. I was getting about 14-15 kmpl before this, not sure how it (the mileage) jumped so high all of a sudden!
Attached Thumbnails
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-img_20160203_2110002.jpg  

Old 9th February 2016, 15:55   #4713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Catch View Post
Car: Maruti Ciaz VXi+
Date of Purchase: 20th December 2015
First Free Service done around 850 KMs
Note: During the first 1000 KMs (run in) driven by keeping the revs below 2K, still driving with revs close to 2K.
Usage: 100% City (Mostly driven on Delhi's ring road)
Mostly Chauffeur Driven
FE: Please see the attachment
How reliable are the MID FE figures? In my old Swift ZXi (2012 model), the MID used to show my FE as 15.7 kmpl, but in actual full tank-to-full tank method, I would only be getting about 13.8 kmpl or so.
Old 9th February 2016, 16:34   #4714

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_hornet View Post
How reliable are the MID FE figures? In my old Swift ZXi (2012 model), the MID used to show my FE as 15.7 kmpl, but in actual full tank-to-full tank method, I would only be getting about 13.8 kmpl or so.
I can't be absolutely sure, but from what I am seeing in different threads on team BHP, at least for the newer cars, the MID figures seem to be pretty close to the full tank method. But I haven't checked it for my car as yet.
Old 11th February 2016, 10:45   #4715
BHPian

Quote:
Me and one other member have seen a difference of close to 3-4 kmpl in actual and MID figure.

MID figure takes only the accelerator input for calculating FE. So if you are driving at 30 kmph in 5th gear with negligible accelerator input, MID will show 30 kmpl while in real life, you would be lugging the engine and decreasing your optimum FE. MID figures are not to be trusted.
swift_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 10:59   #4716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
MID figure takes only the accelerator input for calculating FE. So if you are driving at 30 kmph in 5th gear with negligible accelerator input, MID will show 30 kmpl while in real life, you would be lugging the engine and decreasing your optimum FE. MID figures are not to be trusted.
Partly true, since I have got average figure in Dzire showing 22kmpl when I babied the accelerator pedal 50% in city and 50% on the highway. But this is how in theory the amount of fuel sent to the engine is estimated, by calculating the air that flows in and the petrol consumed is estimated mathematically. I guess only in diesels the actual quantity of fuel can be known.
Old 11th February 2016, 11:39   #4717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
------SNIP-------So if you are driving at 30 kmph in 5th gear with negligible accelerator input, MID will show 30 kmpl while in real life, you would be lugging the engine and decreasing your optimum FE.
Slightly incorrect.
When engine braking, you will get the maximum figure on the MID for that duration.
Lugging would be too low a speed, in a higher gear than necessary.
Old 11th February 2016, 12:11   #4718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Slightly incorrect.
When engine braking, you will get the maximum figure on the MID for that duration.
Lugging would be too low a speed, in a higher gear than necessary.
As far as my understanding goes, the scenario I mentioned is engine lugging and not engine braking. 30 kph in 5th cog is lugging. Correct me if I am wrong.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 13:05   #4719
BHPian

Quote:
Those figures are so true and realistic.
My 2010 Ritz Zxi returns 13.5km to a liter with a tank full test. A spirited drive would return even less.
The MID takes only the A-pedal to show the displayed Fuel Eco value, I have noticed it in 2011 jazz, the moment you floor the Accelerator the bar drops down to minimum.
Doing a lazy 50kmph in 5th gear will show high value.

Last edited by sulivan : 12th February 2016 at 13:09.
Old 12th February 2016, 20:36   #4720
BHPian

I have observed a drastic improvement in my Zen 1999 FE (carb model) with 115K on the odo. Current FE is based on last three full tank refills. (I always do Full tank basis)
Have given my observations on possible reasons for the increase, but it is the quantum jump from 10 to 14 which is worrying me. Is my car goofing up on something else, please suggest since I know very little under the bonnet. I can check the emission test results but I don't think there could be too much of difference in the exhaust.

New tyres also had been fixed a year ago and I had been getting 10 even then. Can the change in parking, driving style & route make such a big difference?
Attached Thumbnails
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-zen-fe.jpg  

Old 13th February 2016, 09:54   #4721
anb
BHPian

Avg.Fuel efficiency of my figo 1.4 tdci is 14.53. Best Fe:17.6 worst is 11.72. Car is always driven very enthusiastically in pedal to metal style through the roads of kerala.
Attached Thumbnails
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-screenshot_20160213095134.png  

Old 13th February 2016, 09:58   #4722
Team-BHP Support

Last 6 tankfuls averaging above 23 kmpl.

Name:  FE.PNG
Views: 2225
Size:  22.4 KB

Polo GT 1.6 TDI, 110 km daily commute, cruise control set to 83 kmph, no AC during morning commute (departs home at 6:45 AM), 1 driver and no passengers, mix of 2, 4 and 6-laned highways.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th February 2016 at 10:01.
Old 13th February 2016, 10:00   #4723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
Can the change in parking, driving style & route make such a big difference?
You have answered the question yourself.

FE improvement would have been due to the following -

1. Driving style (from heavy foot driving, to cruising manners)
2. Road conditions (allowed you to stay in higher gears, and maintain constant speeds)
3. Refuelling time (fuel is denser when cool and filling at night gets you slightly more quantity of fuel, than in the afternoon when fuel expands and you get lesser fuel actually)
4. AC Usage (cut down to half)
5. Longer trip (I am not 100% sure on this but longer trips should give you better FE than shorter ones as engine has time to heat up; maybe this is not applicable in your case as your shorter trip was 15 km)

I don't think parking conditions would have had any effect. A 40% difference is commendable!
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 10:20   #4724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
I have observed a drastic improvement in my Zen 1999 FE (carb model) with 115K on the odo. Current FE is based on last three full tank refills. (I always do Full tank basis)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>... Can the change in parking, driving style & route make such a big difference?
Each and every change that you are mentioning is doing a wee bit towards giving you better mileage. The final result is a combination of all of them working to your advantage together.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 20:07   #4725
BHPian

I drive a Hyundai Eon Sportz variant. The average city mileage is 16.4kmpl. Highway mileage is 19.35kmpl. Both with full time AC on.

When AC is turned off I get 17.6kmpl in city and 20.5kmpl in highway. I always do tank full to tank full method and I use ”mileage" app from play store.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks