Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 08:40   #481
BANNED

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

MILESTONE UPDATE

Here comes another update from my instrumentation console - 60,000 kms is up!

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151105_215031.jpg

Nothing much to report as issues except for the MRF Z.L.O's problem. As otherwise the car is as reliable and rattle-free as it was since Day 1.

Average FE:

City: 17.5 - 18 kmpl
Highway: 21 - 21.5 kmpl

A snapshot of all major milestone marks since Day 1:

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-500tile.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 20:11   #482
BANNED

Hey guys,

Had a polite conversion with the senior technician from MRF, Hyderabad at the same MRF T & S center. He was very apologetic for the first incident.

He has asked me to wait for one day after which I'll get a permanent solution to this issue. The analysis has been submitted to Head - Customer Service Team (Mr George Titus, Chennai). I'm awaiting decision from them.

Case 1: They have taken all the tyre details like DOT Code, Mould number from which the tyre was manufactured etc. So if they check the batch number and find a fault, they'll recall the 4 tyres that I have and give me 4 New ZLO's.

Case 2: If there is no feedback from them (Chennai) then I'll be locally offered a solution which is a new set of 4 MRF ZVTV on stock specification (185/65 R15).

In either of the two cases what I have thought is sell all the ZVTV and go for XM2 in Stock specifications.

The other issue is MRF ZLO in 195/60 R15 specification is least preferred so if I am given the Case 1, I'll get the ZVTV instead and exchange it for XM2.

@Hyderabad guys: Is Ashoka Wheels recommended for the selling or anywhere else I'll have to go for Michelin's?

Deepv: Any help since you have XM2?!

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th November 2015 at 20:24.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 22:09   #483
BHPian

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

Hey Anurag thats a good news, atleast some courtsey shown by the manufaturer. If they have said that they will be providing a permanent solution then that means replacement of the tyres only. Also when they do it take all the papers which will have the proof of your experiments with the MRF Engineer at the workshop of interchanging the tyres and checking for the noise.
Old 6th November 2015, 23:08   #484
BHPian

185/65R15 will definitely be easier to move than what you have now. In either case because your tyres will be new, you should get a better deal than with your existing tyres. Glad you have decided to go with Michelin.
Old 6th November 2015, 23:29   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey guys,

Case 1: They have taken all the tyre details like DOT Code, Mould number from which the tyre was manufactured etc. So if they check the batch number and find a fault, they'll recall the 4 tyres that I have and give me 4 New ZLO's.

Case 2: If there is no feedback from them (Chennai) then I'll be locally offered a solution which is a new set of 4 MRF ZVTV on stock specification (185/65 R15).

In either of the two cases what I have thought is sell all the ZVTV and go for XM2 in Stock specifications.

The other issue is MRF ZLO in 195/60 R15 specification is least preferred so if I am given the Case 1, I'll get the ZVTV instead and exchange it for XM2.
Get the 195/60-15 ZLO as you have already decided to swap it immediately.
Also, ZLO being 195s should get you the best buy back value.

Last edited by kpzen : 6th November 2015 at 23:32.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 00:12   #486
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Hey Anurag thats a good news, atleast some courtsey shown by the manufaturer. If they have said that they will be providing a permanent solution then that means replacement of the tyres only.
No such analysis data on paper but will be getting their analysis in the firm of emails. For today's meeting, I have everything in writing. Safe side you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
185/65R15 will definitely be easier to move than what you have now. Glad you have decided to go with Michelin.
Haha, one bitten twice shy.

XM2 is one tyre that has such a boring thread design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Get the 195/60-15 ZLO as you have already decided to swap it immediately.
Also, ZLO being 195s should get you the best buy back value.
When I gone to the biggest and most preferred multi band tyre dealer in Hyderabad, he was not very keen on the buyback. The reasons for the low interest shown:

1) They are MRF's;
2) They are ZLO's which not many buy;
3) They are of non-standard specification.

After knowing these reasons I'm sceptical on getting the ZLO's for exchange.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 01:10   #487
BHPian

Quote:
@Hyderabad guys: Is Ashoka Wheels recommended for the selling or anywhere else I'll have to go for Michelin's?

Deepv: Any help since you have XM2?!
Check the list of Michelin authorized dealers in Hyderabad.

Earlier they used to have something called Michelin 'Tyre Plus' stores which were preferred outlets (there were two - Xenex & M V Tyre World).
Now that concept seems to be missing, instead I see some sort of logo beside some of these dealers (including the above two and a few more).

I had observed that those preferred outlets had a little better pricing than others, you may try calling out some which are convenient for you.
Old 7th November 2015, 10:28   #488
BHPian

Quote:

XM2 is one tyre that has such a boring thread design.
OMG, I know! Really boring! When I upgraded my stock pizza cutters to 185 section XM2's, I even wondered if they were a good choice. But with all the positive reviews on Team-bhp and from some my friends, I decided to get them. The only variety they have in their design is in the 195 section and wider tyres wherein they have three grooves instead of two. I am over their looks (or lack thereof) now. The Earth-1 is definitely a better looking tyre but it has too many mixed reviews.

Aesthetics aside, there is another problem with tyres that have such a plain design. I had once got stuck in a deep trough-like depression in a makeshift non tarmac parking lot, all dirt. I was crawling out of the lot to park on its periphery so as not to get blocked in when other cars would start parking there and I saw a 6" deep depression which seemed gently sloped enough to ease out of. I crawled into it and couldn't crawl out. I went heavy on the throttle but all I got was wheelspin. I was sure I was going to need a push but tried to rock the car out. After seven or so oscillations and more wheelspin, I was out.

Moral of the story: The XM2 are even WORSE OFF ROAD than other street tyres.

Wish there were all terrain tyres available for small cars and sedans, too.
Old 7th November 2015, 22:48   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I gone to the biggest and most preferred multi band tyre dealer in Hyderabad, he was not very keen on the buyback. The reasons for the low interest shown:

1) They are MRF's;
2) They are ZLO's which not many buy;
3) They are of non-standard specification.

After knowing these reasons I'm sceptical on getting the ZLO's for exchange.
Checked here today.

195/60-15 ZLO (New) Buy back value- Rs 3200 per tire
185/65-15 XM2 - Rs 5200 per tire
Old 7th November 2015, 23:36   #490
BHPian

The MRFs are some of the atrocious tyres one can get. My pre owned Figo came with very new MRF ZVTV pair on the front and MRF ZV2K on the rear.

Every time the car goes over rough section of tar eg. The patchwork where soft tar is not applied, there is a huge rumbling sound which so audible despite the diesel engine noise.

I was disappointed beacuse my previous vehicle a Santro was shod with super good Continental EcoContact 2 tyres.

Didn't trade them due to lack of Vitamin M . I would pick even any Chinese tyre over the MRF's. I have seen good reviews for tires like Kenda, Maxxis and Nankang.
Old 8th November 2015, 01:10   #491
BANNED

A Quick UPDATE:

Have gone ahead and got replacement from MRF for the faulty ZLO (195/60 R15) to MRF ZVTV (185/65 R15).

Post the tyre change drove out and went straight to Ashoka Wheels and got Michelin XM2 in the 195/60 R15 specification.

Difference Price I paid was Rs 7600 which is all inclusive of tyres, WA & WB.

Michelin XM2 (195/60 R15):
Name:  ForumRunner_20151108_010729.png
Views: 3925
Size:  345.8 KB

View when seen from rear:
Name:  ForumRunner_20151108_010832.png
Views: 3499
Size:  426.2 KB

View when seen from side:
Name:  ForumRunner_20151108_010849.png
Views: 3826
Size:  420.2 KB

Verdict: Humming noise absent when checked in presence of the TE when my car was shod with MRF ZVTV (185/65 R15). I'm now relieved. Do hell with MRF and their tyres. Never am I going to that brand in my life. Worst of the lot!

PS: Shall post a detailed description by tomorrow evening as I'm not having access to my laptop. Posting from the Team-BHP App.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th November 2015 at 01:15.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 01:27   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A Quick UPDATE:

Have gone ahead and got replacement from MRF for the faulty ZLO (195/60 R15) to MRF ZVTV (185/65 R15).

Post the tyre change drove out and went straight to Ashoka Wheels and got Michelin XM2 in the 195/60 R15 specification.

Difference Price I paid was Rs 7600 which is all inclusive of tyres, WA & WB.

Attachment 1436735

View when seen from rear:
Attachment 1436736

View when seen from side:
Attachment 1436738

Verdict: Humming noise absent when checked in presence of the TE when my car was shod with MRF ZVTV (185/65 R15). I'm now relieved. Do hell with MRF and their tyres. Never am I going to that brand in my life. Worst of the lot!

PS: Shall post a detailed description by tomorrow evening as I'm not having access to my laptop. Posting from the Team-BHP App.
Very glad that finally you got rid of the ZLOs. Money will come and go, but it is the mental peace which matters the most!! If the car drives the way it should, you'll forget those 7600 bucks in no time.

BTW what is the per tyre cost of Michelins ?? And what was the buyback they offered for ZVTV??

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 8th November 2015 at 01:35.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 01:56   #493
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
BTW what is the per tyre cost of Michelins ?? And what was the buyback they offered for ZVTV??
Here are the details:

MRF ZVTV (185/65 R15): 3800 per tyre (Buyback);
Michelin XM2 (185/65 R15): 5300 per tyre;
Michelin XM2 (195/60 R15): 5700 per tyre.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 02:56   #494
BHPian

Good and congrats Anurag, I think this would be a good break and burden removed from your head and soul and Blue Streak would be relived of those unwanted noise. Enjoy it and drive safe brother
Shivanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 09:02   #495
BANNED

THE TYRE UPDATE - A Detailed Post

When I had met the Senior Technician from MRF, Hyderabad where in he had requested me to wait for the response from MRF @ Head Office regarding the analysis that was submitted by the first guy (TE). I was asked to call for confirmation and next course of action at 1 pm. Duly I called up asking what should I do?! Where in the guy informed me to go and get the replacement under warranty. Thanks him and went to MRF T & S Centre, Medchal and informed the Manager about the final decision taken by MRF. He agreed and we proceeded with the claim.
__________________________________________________ ___________

In the meantime I was thinking which tyres to go for after swapping the ZVTV! Was confused between:
  1. Bridgestone B290;
  2. Michelin XM2;
  3. Continental MC5;
  4. Bridgestone Turanza ER-60.

Of all the above, convinced myself for the XM2 as it the most used tyre by people and is tried and tested. Why risk again with another brand and set of tyres as I don't have the patience to fight with another brand's customer service team.

Here are three videos giving out the advantages of the XM2 (SOURCE: Michelin India website):

XM2 - Michelin India website:

Michelin XM2
__________________________________________________ ___________

In my previous post, I have mentioned the Cases that I could have been offered for closing the complaint hence I went ahead and got 4 brand new MRF ZVTV in stock specification (185/65 R15) at no extra costs. As per their current pricing:

MRF ZVTV (185/65 R15) : ₹4150 per tyre
MRF Z.L.O (195/60 R15) : ₹4350 per tyre

The MRF ZVTV were manufactured somewhere between 20th - 26th July (DOT Code - '30 15').

Before reaching the T & S Centre, called up Ashoka Wheels to check and ensure of they'll accept the MRF ZVTV in Stock specification after it is driven ~25 kms. I didn't want it to be labelled as 'used' and later suffer from low buyback price. After the guy (Mr. Ritesh) from Ashoka Wheels confirmed that they buy the tyre, I proceeded with the tyre change from MRF Z.L.O to MRF ZVTV's.

Shod with 4 brand new ZVTV, the first thing I made the TE check is for humming sound as reported by me on the Z.L.O to see if the same repeats with the ZVTV. Pleasantly surprised, it was smooth and silent ride. This did put all doubts to rest and he finally did accept that something was wrong with those 4 tyres. It me a total of 25 minutes to complete this whole exercise.

Bid a goodbye to the TE and the Team @ MRF at the T & S Centre for solving the problem. Good riddance to MRF and their tyres.
__________________________________________________ __________

On reaching Ashoka Wheels, got the prices reconfirmed for the tyres and here they are prices for the respective ones:

MRF ZVTV (185/65 R15): ₹3800 per tyre (Buyback);
Michelin XM2 (185/65 R15): ₹5300 per tyre;
Michelin XM2 (195/60 R15): ₹5700 per tyre.

Since the difference between the two XM2's wasnt much, I went ahead with 195/60 R15 section tyres.

The Michelin XM2 were manufactured somewhere between 14th - 20th September (DOT Code - '38 15').

Tyres, Fitments, Wheel Alignment, Wheel Balancing all inclusive, I paid the ₹8400 as the difference and got some cash back too since I swiped my card. So net I paid was ₹7600. Steep pricing but can't help it now. All inclusive, it took me 45 minutes to complete. Headed straight to work from the dealership.

"To gain something I'll have to loose something!"
__________________________________________________ ____________

Michelin XM2 (195/60 R15)

A mini review:

From the time the tyres have been put in my car, I have travelled almost 200 kms. Here is what I can feel in the distance covered:

Looks:

Pretty boring and just like a regular tyre. No fancy grooves like seen in the Z.L.O's., the looks are very neutral. There 3 large grooves which is slightly odd to see but when viewed from side, it feels like having a tyre with large side wall.

Minimalist gaps in the XM2 so this tyre isn't going to be a major stone collector like the way Z.L.O is! This is an absolutely relief as the stone noise would reduce now making it a quieter ride. Both the Z.L.O and the XM2 are 195 section but the Z.L.O looks wider. There is a psychological connection that more the grooves, wider the tyre.

Tyre Noise

This is one parameter that was evident instantly from the go. What a silent ride except for noise filtering from engine and surroundings (Blame it to bad-NVH levels on the Swift).

I have gone till 100 kmph and the noise is pretty less and under control with a lesser racket as compared to the Z.L.O and ZVTV. Have checked the decibels using an App in my mobile at 80 kmph and 100 kmph. Another feather in its cap.

Be it broken roads, or concrete roads, the XM2 is excellent on the noise levels. Even there is no sound when going over metal-joints that are seen on flyover at 80 kmph.

Braking:

Sure shot confidence and better grip without having any wiggly feel. Even the Z.L.O were an excellent setup. Yet to see the performance in wet conditions. Should be good thanks to the reviews.

Ride Comfort:

Good till now. Have maintained F=33 psi and R=31 psi. I am loving it!
__________________________________________________ ____________

A few pictures:

MRF Z.L.O swapped for MRF ZVTV:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-1.-zlo-zvtv.jpg

Blue Streak shod with MRF ZVTV:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-2.-shod-zvtv.jpg

Odometer during tyre swap from MRF Z.L.O to MRF ZVTV:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-3.-kms-during-zlo-change.jpg

@ Ashoka Wheels:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-4.-ashoka-wheels.jpg

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-5.-michelin-xm2.jpg

Odometer during tyre swap from MRF ZVTV to Michelin XM2:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-6.-kms-during-xm2-change.jpg

Wheel Alignment being done after swap XM2 swap:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-7.-wa-wb-xm2.jpg

Wheel Alignment Report:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-8.-wa-report.jpg

Tyre Data:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-9.-tyre-data.jpg

Decibel meter App (Left at 80 kmph; Right at 100 kmph):
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-10.-db-meter.jpg

Blue Streak shod with Michelin XM2:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-11.-xm2.jpg

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-12.-xm2.jpg

A view of the tyre from rear:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-13.-view-rear.jpg

Side View:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-14.-full-side-view.jpg

MRF Z.L.O vs Michelin XM2 - Rear View:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-15.-rear-view-zlo-vs-xm2.jpg

MRF Z.L.O vs Michelin XM2 - Side View:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-16.-zlo-vs-xm2.jpg

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th November 2015 at 09:04. Reason: Typo error - Corrected!
a4anurag is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks