Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 17:10   #1336
BHPian

Such bill can be expected during 20K interval service, but for 50K it seems expensive. It should be less than 3.5K.

Anyways guys, now my car is also due for 50K service next week and will be serviced at Pratham Motors. I wanted to get de-carbonization of the engine done as it has never been done yet.
Any idea how much would this cost? Last time when I asked them, the service advisor quoted 900 for that, but my friend got it done for around 350 from Mandovi. So what's the real cost of de-carbing the swift diesel engine? Any other thing I need to specify for this service?

Last edited by asethi : 11th June 2010 at 17:13.
Old 14th June 2010, 22:25   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Jayawant, are the brake pads also being replaced in this service? Else, IMO it feels expensive. However, since i am no Swift owner others can confirm.
No, the brake pads were not replaced. The Service Advisor didn't even bring it up. Overall my service bill was 6,400/-, out of which 500/- went for the new wiper blades, and 100/- for nitrogen in the tires. RNS did a decent job with the cleaning this time round.
Old 19th June 2010, 15:48   #1338
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
No, the brake pads were not replaced. The Service Advisor didn't even bring it up. Overall my service bill was 6,400/-, out of which 500/- went for the new wiper blades, and 100/- for nitrogen in the tires. RNS did a decent job with the cleaning this time round.
Nitrogen?Maruti is not recommending it

Here , few weeks back i went to CARS india as there was a sound from suspension/steering end. The SA asked me if i had nitrogen filled and asked me to remove it ASAP.

Nitrogen filled cars suspension are stiff and maruti are getting lots of complaints i guess.

Belive me the ride is very smooth after removing nitro.

Even the best tyre dealer(who sells nitro) in chennai told me not to fill nitro
Old 19th June 2010, 16:05   #1339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Curious! Without asking, MSM fills my tyres with Nitrogen.

Quote:
Nitrogen filled cars suspension are stiff and maruti are getting lots of complaints i guess.

Belive me the ride is very smooth after removing nitro.
Even more curious: The thread on this topic seems to agree that any differences (other than, perhaps, slower leakage) felt with nitrogen are purely imaginary!
Old 20th June 2010, 23:03   #1340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Even more curious: The thread on this topic seems to agree that any differences (other than, perhaps, slower leakage) felt with nitrogen are purely imaginary!
I guess most people fall for the increased mileage tag thrown in. I certainly dont believe that!
Old 21st June 2010, 00:18   #1341
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Air is 78.08% Nitrogen.

Nitrogen has bigger molecules than any other gas, explaining the slower leakage.

Therefore when running on regular air, you'll lose less of nitrogen and more of other gases. Topping it up again with air would fill in another 78.08% nitrogen even in the place of other gases leaked. So eventually, a normal car with multiple top ups should be running on more than 95% nitrogen.

So what suspension stiffness are we talking about? And how much difference would it make by filling in 100% nitrogen?
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:19   #1342
Team-BHP Support

Nitrogen causing suspension noise is total crap, its either due to some worn out rubber parts or loose suspension. An overhaul will bring some respite.
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:40   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nitrogen causing suspension noise is total crap, its either due to some worn out rubber parts or loose suspension. An overhaul will bring some respite.
hi jaggu
is the noise like a continuous rumble over rough patches? if yes, take the car up on the 2 post lift and check the rack extension play on the front left wheel...if the play exists, it may be rack bush failure. common with a lot of cars. if the car is under warranty, claim a full rack replacement. if no, butter polish your mechanic and get him to remove the rack and take the bush out of there, take a teflon rod and machine a replica out of it minus the milling serrations. just make sure it is a tight fit and the internal diameter is on the minus side so that it can be polished during fitting.
happened to my car and this is what i'd done. never faced the problem again
Old 29th June 2010, 22:10   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

Though it is evident that filling nitrogen as such will not hamper suspension, the culprit here can be high pressure they would fill to make the impression on customer that nitrogen filled tire doesnt need to check pressure atleast for 3 months as they claim to be.

I had the experience that, once after service front filled with 39.5 & rear 36.5.

My handy gauge showed warm tire pressure for front 42 and after about 1200km of running, drop in 2.5 PSI across tires. So I am skeptical about nitrogens so called advantages or may be they just topup with nitrogen, who knows!.
Old 29th June 2010, 22:23   #1345
BHPian

Is the increase in engine vibration normal in car done 40k?
Any way to reduce it?
engine de-carb recommended?
Any helpful additives?
Opinion on getting a straight pipe from the manifold,help improve performance?
Old 29th June 2010, 23:16   #1346
BHPian

scratch on disc plate

my swift is 2years and 24000 km old, recently i spotted ring like scratches on the disc plate, when i touched it is rough and the plate has become rough on those places, it is there on the two disc plates, rider side disc can be clearly seen.
i have got extended warranty, can i replace the entire disc and the brake pads? is it any major issue , or shall i neglect it?
Old 30th June 2010, 14:37   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe angelo View Post
my swift is 2years and 24000 km old, recently i spotted ring like scratches on the disc plate, when i touched it is rough and the plate has become rough on those places, it is there on the two disc plates, rider side disc can be clearly seen.
i have got extended warranty, can i replace the entire disc and the brake pads? is it any major issue , or shall i neglect it?
I believe Discs and brakes come under wear and tear, hence wont be replaced under warranty.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:11   #1348
BHPian

Brake discs and pads aren't covered under warranty. From your description it looks like the brake pads are worn out and the pins are scratching the disc. Have this checked at the earliest or you may need to change the disc as well.

Quote:
Old 30th June 2010, 16:57   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Brake pads necessarily wear --- but as long as the pads are replaced regularly, is there any reason why the discs should not last a lifetime?

The discs on my Swift were replaced on the first service, under warranty. I don't understand why, but it was some sort of instruction from Maruti, and, as it didn't cost me anything, I didn't complain.
Old 30th June 2010, 19:22   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Something similar happened with my dad's Swift VDi it was just after the 10k service and there was a visible "ring" on the right disc alone. The MASS guys did fiddle with the brakes during service. Dad informed them as soon as it was spotted and they took it up with Maruti and the disc was replace free of cost.

It was I guess around 8 months or so after purchase of the car.
In your case however the "normal" wear and tear theory applies.

Having said that on both side its makes me wanna ask why its there in the first place ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks