Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 21:22   #1456
Team-BHP Support

Yes wheel balancing is also a good idea with 5 wheel rotation so that you can get max out of the tires.
Old 28th August 2010, 17:20   #1457
BANNED

Tyre & Battery

Hi All,

Can you guys let me know whats the average life for swift VDi's stock tyre's? Mine is JK i guess.

Also there seems to be a problem with my car battery.i bought the car in oct 2008 and have warranty till oct2010 so it shoul not be of worry i think.

Any feed back on the exide battery??

Last edited by joshguy : 28th August 2010 at 17:37.
Old 28th August 2010, 17:44   #1458
BHPian

hi
the tires will last you around 35 to 40 thousand kilometers approximately.
mine had jks as well they gave up their ghost at 36k kilometers.
drive safe
Old 28th August 2010, 17:46   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Also there seems to be a problem with my car battery.i bought the car in oct 2008 and have warranty till oct2010 so it shoul not be of worry i think.

Any feed back on the exide battery??
Here is something on Exide Battery.

And, for the kind of car the Swift DDiS is, you are better off getting rid of the JK's ASAP (that is, if you are a sporty driver)

Last edited by bblost : 28th August 2010 at 22:50. Reason: fixed the url. Thanks.
Old 30th August 2010, 12:36   #1460
BHPian

Hi! guys, I came back from a short trip to delhi - chandighar on my new swift Ldi. So here is a short update. Now the doubts about turbo not kicking have been laid to rest. It really becomes rocket on highways after the speed of 80km/hr. Just pushes ahead of anything that comes it way.

But I am a bit concerned with the handling of this car. The engine is so good that it can do 160+ speeds easily for hours but I did not feel confident to take her beyond 120km/hr. It did not give a feeling of solid car grounded to roads after that speed. I am running currently on stock MRF tyres.

I got an avg. of 23km/ltr on 525km return trip. Max speed touched was 140km for 30 secs may be because of not much free roads and lack of my confident in this cars handling in very high speeds.

I don't know what is missing to make ride more sturdy, the weight of car is not less either its 1065kg for diesel swift and its in segment near to punto which is 1130kg.

What do you guys feel that this car is real handler on high speeds above 120+ on Indian freeways.
Old 30th August 2010, 13:30   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
I did not feel confident to take her beyond 120km/hr. It did not give a feeling of solid car grounded to roads after that speed. I am running currently on stock MRF tyres.

I got an avg. of 23km/ltr on 525km return trip. Max speed touched was 140km for 30 secs may be because of not much free roads and lack of my confident in this cars handling in very high speeds.

I don't know what is missing to make ride more sturdy, the weight of car is not less either its 1065kg for diesel swift and its in segment near to punto which is 1130kg.

What do you guys feel that this car is real handler on high speeds above 120+ on Indian freeways.
Get fatter rubber. 185/70 on softer compound like Michelin XM1 or yoko A drives would be nice and reassuring.
Old 30th August 2010, 19:14   #1462
Team-BHP Support

Yes the stock tyres are absolutely inadequate for the Swift. Try upgrading to 185 or 195, will tremendously improve the handling and braking.

Meanwhile Snowhite has inched to 46,000 kms. Time for some pampering, so first step a complete service and oil change. After Maggie's rave review i have decided to try Mandovi JP Nagar this time and the list of things i plan to do at the A.S.S.

• 45,000 kms service
• Engine flush
• Engine Oil / oil filter change, oil supplied Delvac MX
• Replace air filter, was replaced at 35k kms
• Drain diesel filter
• EGR valve cleaning only, NO decarb
• Brake overhaul
• Suspension check/Tightening. NO wheel rotation, alignment, balancing etc
• Fix engine guard left hand side
• Fix all mud flap clips
• Fix all rattles, especially dicky door trim
• Interior dry shampoo cleaning
Old 30th August 2010, 19:51   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
• Engine flush

Nice Jaggu, all the best and hope she comes out sparkling. Hey please let me know more about the engine flush. Another thing is the ratles in the dickey, I have tried it a number of times but no use. Let me know if they manage to fix it. The guys in Goa are not able to take care of it :(
Old 30th August 2010, 19:57   #1464
Team-BHP Support

Engine flush is nothing but using a flushing agent and running the engine before draining the old engine oil out.

My dickey door trim has a slight rattle, which if pressed with hand disappears. Some sponge inside on the edge should do the trick.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:58   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Get fatter rubber. 185/70 on softer compound like Michelin XM1 or yoko A drives would be nice and reassuring.
Quote:
Yes the stock tyres are absolutely inadequate for the Swift. Try upgrading to 185 or 195, will tremendously improve the handling and braking.
Thanks for suggestions. I know tires could do its bit but was overall not satisfied with a high speed handling with stock tires. Will update the tires as and when I get some spare money. Would it be fine if i upgrade to 15'' tire on the steel rims and not an alloy wheel. Would a 15" steel rim give better handling? Its coz I dont want to spend 12k on alloys!!
Old 31st August 2010, 10:40   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Where would you get 15" steel rims with 100PCD? Corollas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Thanks for suggestions. I know tires could do its bit but was overall not satisfied with a high speed handling with stock tires. Will update the tires as and when I get some spare money. Would it be fine if i upgrade to 15'' tire on the steel rims and not an alloy wheel. Would a 15" steel rim give better handling? Its coz I dont want to spend 12k on alloys!!
Old 31st August 2010, 12:36   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
I recently (in July 2010) got my battery replaced, I had a similar issue service light & water sediementor light used to sometime remain on even after a successful start, took the car to MASS, they said that the battery is going to die, for a second check took the car to Amaron Pit Stop, they confirmed the battery issue after checking the specific gravity of the acid (which was low), I got the battery replaced and everything was back to normal...I think you too can follow the same steps to confirm
Thanks for your Advise Rajat. I will have this checked with Battery experts. Which battery did you put in 75 DIN or 65 DIN ? Please advise on prices if you could

Thanks in advance
Old 1st September 2010, 13:14   #1468
Team-BHP Support

45,000 service update @ 46,000 kms.

Quote:
• 45,000 kms service
• Engine flush
• Engine Oil / oil filter change, oil supplied Delvac MX
• Replace air filter, was replaced at 35k kms
• Drain diesel filter
• EGR valve cleaning only, NO decarb
• Brake overhaul
• Suspension check/Tightening. NO wheel rotation, alignment, balancing etc
• Fix engine guard left hand side
• Fix all mud flap clips
• Interior dry shampoo cleaning
So i checked in Snowhite with the print out of the above @ Mandovi JP Nagar yesterday. The SA was very friendly and cheerful person. He took down the list but a small communication gap meant he left out the diesel filter draining in the job card. I had specifically asked him to do the EGR cleaning since this has not be done till date. Last time at RNS also this was left out, inspite of specific instructions.

As usual i had asked them to take more time if required coz i wanted the work to be done proper.

Promised time was 3 pm and at exactly at 3 i get a call informing vehicle is ready. I double checked if the EGR cleaning was done, which the SA assured was and said since i was first time customer they will not charge me. This made me suspicious and i checked the job sheet and unfortunately this is not mentioned there.

Anyways i proceeded to take delivery. Bill was within estimate and only the engine guard which was out of stock left out. I told him to order the same and keep me informed. SA wanted me to go for a test drive, but since it was peak hour and i had to return to office i declined. But informed him i will call and if there is anything i will come back to trouble him.

I took the car and she felt ok, usual rejuvenated feeling after oil change, new filter etc. But then i had a feeling in the back of my mind that EGR cleaning was not done. Drove a lil further and that irritating krr sound from the rear dicky door! I didn't bother since i had to go back after sometime for the engine guard thingie.

Got back to office and i checked the engine bay, and i was quite sure EGR was not touched. So i called up the SA and gave the feedback, though he didn't agree to it. He offered to do it again, in front of me next time. So i left it at that.

One thing, whatever they did, they have done it well. Cleaning also is very good, no smudge marks etc. Bill reasonable for a dealer and they didn't do all the silly things like nitrogen in tyre etc.

Overall am happy! why coz i didn't expect much from a dealer on my first visit. I believe that a relation has to be worked out and then expectations slowly sets in and then only it works.

So thats it for 46,000 kms update.
Old 1st September 2010, 13:42   #1469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe that a relation has to be worked out and then expectations slowly sets in and then only it works.
Give it some time, and things should settle down. I suppose Maggie & you would be talking to the same SA. Helps drive home the point that you are not single customers, but things can add up either way.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:04   #1470
BHPian

Mandovi, JP Nagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Give it some time, and things should settle down. I suppose Maggie & you would be talking to the same SA. Helps drive home the point that you are not single customers, but things can add up either way.
For me it is, Subodh Shetty, the SA @ Mandovi, JP Nagar. So far so good. All my service from the days of alto to the present swift is done here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks