Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 12:15   #1501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I tried this yesterday evening. The car started without a hitch and without the cabin lamp shutting off. Got a doubt that things would be different on a cold start, so tried it again today morning. Car starts without a problem on the first crank.

Also got a call from Pratham Motors saying the glow-plugs that they want to change have arrived. Will go there on Saturday and get them replaced. I am driving with the Service Light on these days since the MASS guys have mentioned that it is fine to do so in my case.
Very frankly, it is not a wise idea to drive with the Service light on. I would suggest using some other mode of transport till the issue is resolved.
Do let us know whether replacing the glow-plugs fixed the issue.
Old 15th September 2010, 18:47   #1502
BHPian

Re EGR cleaning___ DIY or not to DIY---

If you have a weekend free-- DIY It.

1. Problemis Access: for this you need to take off the AIR Cleaner assembly, the ECU Panel, unclip the water hoses, Breather pipe,and unclip the sub wiring harness.

2. The above will take you 1 to 2 hours.

3. Two Easy bolts hold the EGR, One circle clip holds the outlet pipe.

4. Cleaning is the easyest part- Spray Oven Cleaner into and all around-wait 5 Mins wash the entire thing under running water.

5. Make sure its all dry--and put it all back. (Put gasket sealent on and around the original gaskets)-- Bolts are only 7pft Torque-- so hand tightening is ok as long as you don't over tighten..
Old 17th September 2010, 09:13   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulvinder singh View Post
Re EGR cleaning___ DIY or not to DIY---

If you have a weekend free-- DIY It.

1. Problemis Access: for this you need to take off the AIR Cleaner assembly, the ECU Panel, unclip the water hoses, Breather pipe,and unclip the sub wiring harness.

2. The above will take you 1 to 2 hours.

3. Two Easy bolts hold the EGR, One circle clip holds the outlet pipe.

4. Cleaning is the easyest part- Spray Oven Cleaner into and all around-wait 5 Mins wash the entire thing under running water.

5. Make sure its all dry--and put it all back. (Put gasket sealent on and around the original gaskets)-- Bolts are only 7pft Torque-- so hand tightening is ok as long as you don't over tighten..
NIce one kulvinder but a pictoral step by step DIY would have been fantastic.
Old 18th September 2010, 18:40   #1504
BHPian

regrets,

I had meant to keep a pictorial record, but this time it somehow got stymied.

However, in consideration I suspect that the reason that most people don't attempt DIY is because this engine sounds and seems very Daunting. In addition its packed into such a small space-- Worthy noting that the official manual even for the most minor work, likeEGR cleaning suggests taking the whole engine out firs't!!

The reality, (and ok perhaps for me-because I've worked with far more complicated engines and thus have bags of experience) is that its actually relatively easy and simple-- Afterall I've managed to completely strip it down and rebuild it.

In fact one of the beauty's of the design is that it is easy to work on.-- PROVIDED one has some Mechanical knowledge and experience.

So if anyone is serious about doing any DIY- vis EGR cleaning etc..

I'm willing to be on the end of the phoneline-- just give me advance notice and make sure its a weekend.
Old 20th September 2010, 21:20   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Also got a call from Pratham Motors saying the glow-plugs that they want to change have arrived. Will go there on Saturday and get them replaced. I am driving with the Service Light on these days since the MASS guys have mentioned that it is fine to do so in my case.
An update to my issue. The car is in Pratham Motors workshop in ORR since Saturday. The issue persisted after changing the glow plugs. They tried removing and refitting the wiring and still the issue is present. They are now proceeding to check the wiring for issues. If they cannot find any defects, they will next check the glow plug relays and ECU.

I took a loaner car today since they are not able to tell how many days they will take to find the problem. Currently driving around in an A-star ZXi!
Old 21st September 2010, 21:59   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
An update to my issue. I took a loaner car today since they are not able to tell how many days they will take to find the problem. Currently driving around in an A-star ZXi!
Got back my car today after 3 days! Made me realise how well the Swift drives compared to the A-Star which has low seats and high dashboard. The issue was facing was due to a loose connection in the glow plug relay. They found this after 3 days of checking!
Old 4th October 2010, 15:21   #1507
BHPian

Guys...Dropped my car at navnit motors for 20k service.
I dunno whether iam being looted or something but i have been given a service estimate of 8.6 K.

break up :

1) paid service labour : 1000

2) All consumables replace : 4600

3) All wheels brake opening and cleaning : 50

4) caliper pin greasing : -

5) All lights check up : 100

6) Engine de-carbonizing : 1600

7) Engine system flushing : 750

8) engine oil suppliment : 500

Total : 8600

I can do nothing abt it now since the car is alredy in service. But guys..does it really take this much?
Old 4th October 2010, 15:29   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Engine Decarbonising, Engine System Flushing and Engine oil suppliment absolutely not needed. Just change the oil and oil filter and you are fine.

I am sure the cost of consumables too would not be that high, I mean they generally give a higher quote and then you get a lower bill .
Old 4th October 2010, 17:32   #1509
Team-BHP Support

100 bucks to check up all lights? That's insane! You can do that yourself. Say you do not want that done.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:50   #1510
BHPian

You can still do a lot, drop a complaint to Maruti on their customer care link , they will pull up the dealer and he will remove unnecessary charges, I have tried it, it really works
Old 4th October 2010, 20:25   #1511
BHPian

SVS and The fuel filter warning light issue

Around 15 Days back my Swift VDI showed ( did not blink but stayed on after ignition )

1) SVS and The fuel filter warning light ( usually indicates that too much water has accumulated inside the filter) were UP
2) The Car was not starting in first crank ( use to take around 3-4 )
3 ) AC was tripping
today i visited the DD Motors ( Peeragahri ND ) and asked then to have a look
I was told that both 1) , 2) and 3) are due to Weak battery
while i agree that 2) could be result of weak battery( 3.5 Year old ) how can battery cause Fuel filter warning light and AC tripping ?

I have been asked to get a new battery for around 7,500 + and have been assured that it will take care of the issues.

I would request Learned BHPians opinion for these issues

I am thinking of getting my battery replaced outside the service centre . But can i drive out to get this replaced ?
Old 4th October 2010, 23:01   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
I dunno whether iam being looted or something but i have been given a service estimate of 8.6 K.
You are defnitely being looted my friend. Be sure to stay away from this dealer.

Consumables for Rs.4600 for a 20k service is insane.
Engine Oil suppliment and de-carbinizing is totally unwanted.
Engine Oil flushing is about Rs.600 at most of Maruti Service Centers.

Ideally the cost should not go beyond 2-2.5k for a normal 20k service unless the car has been abused.

Please lodge a compliant with Maruti India so that this dealer is pulled up.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:15   #1513
BHPian

Weak Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Around 15 Days back my Swift VDI showed ( did not blink but stayed on after ignition )

1) SVS and The fuel filter warning light ( usually indicates that too much water has accumulated inside the filter) were UP
2) The Car was not starting in first crank ( use to take around 3-4 )
3 ) AC was tripping
today i visited the DD Motors ( Peeragahri ND ) and asked then to have a look
I was told that both 1) , 2) and 3) are due to Weak battery
while i agree that 2) could be result of weak battery( 3.5 Year old ) how can battery cause Fuel filter warning light and AC tripping ?

I have been asked to get a new battery for around 7,500 + and have been assured that it will take care of the issues.

I would request Learned BHPians opinion for these issues

I am thinking of getting my battery replaced outside the service centre . But can i drive out to get this replaced ?
Its Odd...but these are signs of Battery being weakened. You should get the battery replaced. M.A.D./M.A.S.S. do not offer any special services/priviledges for new Battery replacement. am sure they will allow you to drive out to get new battery; much cheaper to replace them outside.

Battery recommended for swift is DIN65 (65 amp cranking capacity). Amaraon, Exide, Base Terminal have DIN 66 and DIN 74 battery option. I replaced my Swift D battery last month with Base Terminals DIN 74 maintainence free battery for Rs 5,500 (after exchanging old battery). Please negotiate hard for battery of your choice with local dealer
Old 5th October 2010, 08:23   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post

break up :

1) paid service labour : 1000

2) All consumables replace : 4600

3) All wheels brake opening and cleaning : 50

4) caliper pin greasing : -

5) All lights check up : 100

6) Engine de-carbonizing : 1600

7) Engine system flushing : 750

8) engine oil suppliment : 500

Total : 8600

I can do nothing abt it now since the car is alredy in service. But guys..does it really take this much?
Navneet @ thane - this is not surprising; what do they do in servicing if they are going to charge for All Lights check up, caliper pin greasing & break cleaning. Enging de-carb, system flushing & oil supplements are not necessary & certainly not part of Maruti recommended list; please stay out of it. I have had some nasty experiences with Navnit & stay clear from them.

All that they should be replacing are Fuel,Oil &Air filters; Gear & Engine Oil.
Old 5th October 2010, 10:02   #1515
Team-BHP Support

@KoolKid: 1 and 2 are definitely signs of weak battery, and these are the same that I am facing at 85k+ kms in my VDi. Looking for a replacement

@Milind Never heard of a base terminal battery but the price looks inviting. How much did the competing brands (Exide, Amaron etc) cost ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks