Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 14:51   #1486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajswiftvdi View Post
So finally what is the best and easy way for the customer to know whether EGR has cleaned?
-Stay with the car when this is done

-Check bill for EGR cleaning charges, gasket etc.

-Generally battery would be disconnected and if you have an electronic item with memory powered by car battery it would be reset.
Old 9th September 2010, 10:17   #1487
BHPian

After running problem-free for 20k kms, my swift is now throwing tantrums. After the 4th service, the engine malfunction light is coming on regularly once in about 2 weeks. Once the light comes on it remains on even after I switch off and restart the engine. But on doing the switch-off and restart procedure multiple number of times the light switches off after the engine starts. It does not switch off before starting the engine though. I took the car to Pratham twice and both the times they cleared the error code for Glow Plug CRT control. The engine does not go into the limp home mode when the light comes on and there is no difference in the way the car drives.

Has anyone faced a similar issue? Taking the car to Pratham motors tomorrow and getting this checked along with the HVAC system which is now refusing to circulate hot air in the cabin. The car has covered only 20.5k km till now and is just over 2 years old.
Old 11th September 2010, 09:38   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
After the 4th service, the engine malfunction light is coming on regularly once in about 2 weeks.
So, I spent the whole of yesterday going multiple times to the Pratham Motors workshop in ORR due to this issue. The SA first drained the fuel filter, cleared the code and said everything was fine. I left the workshop only to find the light come up again within 6 km. Again went back to the workshop and talked to their AGM who asked another SA to look into it. The same Glow Plug error was displayed. Now this error was more frequent and the service light was coming up about 2-3 mins after the engine was started. In all cases, the glow plug error was being shown.

The workshop wanted to replace the glow-plugs and they had only 2 in stock. So I'm back in square one waiting for the parts to arrive while the service light is on in my car though this does not happen every time.

But this brings another question to my mind. AFAIK, the glow plugs are used to aid in easy starting when the engine is in cold condition. So why does the ECU throw up an error after the car is started? There are no problems at all when starting the car. For now, after replacing the glow plugs, the service center wants me to observe the issue and if it does not stop ,they will investigate further!

Sorry Jaggu for highjacking your thread. Since your thread is most referred to for the Swift-D posted this issue here so that if others face a similar issue, it is easier to find.
Old 11th September 2010, 13:02   #1489
BANNED

Did they check the battery? it could be due to loose connection in it.

I face a similar problem few weeks back and it was found that battery was the culprit,then it was replaced in warranty

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th September 2010 at 09:27.
Old 11th September 2010, 17:14   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Did they check the battery? it could be due to loose connection in it.

I face a similar problem few weeks back and it was found that battery was the culprit,then it was replaced in warranty
They disconnected the battery and tightened the terminals. The battery seems to be fine. I have a voltmeter in the car and I dont see the voltage dropping to less than 11.5 V when the car is parked for more than 2 days at a stretch.
Old 13th September 2010, 13:16   #1491
Team-BHP Support

Did you get the battery checked with the battery check equipment which the dealership or battery shops have? If not do that, the error codes and lights can be due to a weak battery.

As far as the error coming up, ECU constantly scans and as and when error throws up its recorded, after a certain number of times its throws it up by the warning lights on dash. So it needn't be immediate.
Old 13th September 2010, 13:20   #1492
Team-BHP Support

What DIN battery does the swift D use ?
Old 13th September 2010, 16:22   #1493

@ Jaggu, Any noticeable difference in drive after EGR is cleaned?
Old 14th September 2010, 08:33   #1494
Sandy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What DIN battery does the swift D use ?
If I am not mistaken the OEM battery for Swift D is DIN 65

Old 14th September 2010, 11:34   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you get the battery checked with the battery check equipment which the dealership or battery shops have? If not do that, the error codes and lights can be due to a weak battery.
The car starts in the first crank in the morning. Can the battery go weak even then?
Old 14th September 2010, 11:46   #1496
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_ngl View Post
@ Jaggu, Any noticeable difference in drive after EGR is cleaned?
It was not cleaned so cant comment yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
The car starts in the first crank in the morning. Can the battery go weak even then?
That is not a good way to determine, instead try doing this.

Switch ON the head light, leave it ON for 10 secs. Switch ON the cabin light and then crank the engine. Normally the cabin light would fade a little, ignore that. But if it completely shuts off OR cranking is difficult, then you need to get the battery checked.

EDIT: Meanwhile i got a set of woooriginal Bosch skoda typer horns and another Bosch red grills set went into the stock horn location. Though i now have both the red grills on left hand side, behind the bumper due to space constraints, instead of having one each on either sides.

Head light bulbs were upgraded to Philips Xtreme 80+ and they do make a hell lot of difference, i feel atleast 50% more visibility in low beam. The high beam has become a lil painful, especially on highways since the road signs become too bright for comfort when the light shine on them Definitely recommended!

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th September 2010 at 11:50.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:37   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Head light bulbs were upgraded to Philips Xtreme 80+ and they do make a hell lot of difference, i feel atleast 50% more visibility in low beam. The high beam has become a lil painful, especially on highways since the road signs become too bright for comfort when the light shine on them Definitely recommended!
Do they fit the stock assembly? Or do we need to change the holders and other wiring etc?
thanks.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:46   #1498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Do they fit the stock assembly? Or do we need to change the holders and other wiring etc?
thanks.
Stock assembly, holder, wiring etc Its a straight swap, even the rating is 55/60, its just that the bulb emits more visible light.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:01   #1499
BHPian

Quote:

Switch ON the head light, leave it ON for 10 secs. Switch ON the cabin light and then crank the engine. Normally the cabin light would fade a little, ignore that. But if it completely shuts off OR cranking is difficult, then you need to get the battery checked.
I tried this yesterday evening. The car started without a hitch and without the cabin lamp shutting off. Got a doubt that things would be different on a cold start, so tried it again today morning. Car starts without a problem on the first crank.

Also got a call from Pratham Motors saying the glow-plugs that they want to change have arrived. Will go there on Saturday and get them replaced. I am driving with the Service Light on these days since the MASS guys have mentioned that it is fine to do so in my case.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:10   #1500
BHPian

Quote:
It was not cleaned so cant comment yet

EDIT: Meanwhile i got a set of woooriginal Bosch skoda typer horns and another Bosch red grills set went into the stock horn location. Though i now have both the red grills on left hand side, behind the bumper due to space constraints, instead of having one each on either sides.

Jaggu Bhai: Can you pls share the costs involved with both?
The horn in my car has been changed 4 times (yup four times though all under warranty) and I am still facing problems with one of them going on and off and believe me I don't even honk much. MASS has been kind enough to change it every time but it is becoming a pain off late. Hence planning on changing them to something better. Hence wanted to know the price and also its durability factor?
Also wanted to upgrade to better lights but didn't want to go down the route of getting a relay and ceramic holders. From your review looks like Philips Extreme 80+ is the way to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks