Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 21:15   #1351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
I believe Discs and brakes come under wear and tear, hence wont be replaced under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Brake discs and pads aren't covered under warranty. From your description it looks like the brake pads are worn out and the pins are scratching the disc. Have this checked at the earliest or you may need to change the disc as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Brake pads necessarily wear --- but as long as the pads are replaced regularly, is there any reason why the discs should not last a lifetime?

The discs on my Swift were replaced on the first service, under warranty. I don't understand why, but it was some sort of instruction from Maruti, and, as it didn't cost me anything, I didn't complain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Something similar happened with my dad's Swift VDi it was just after the 10k service and there was a visible "ring" on the right disc alone. The MASS guys did fiddle with the brakes during service. Dad informed them as soon as it was spotted and they took it up with Maruti and the disc was replace free of cost.

It was I guess around 8 months or so after purchase of the car.
In your case however the "normal" wear and tear theory applies.

Having said that on both side its makes me wanna ask why its there in the first place ?

@all

i took the car to service center today, they checked and told that it might be due to some gravel or stones which got stuck in between the pads, they told no warranty like u guys said but will surely replace the brake pads.
they told no need to replace the disc as it is not severe, but i find this ring scratch really deep.

is there any oil additive named BG? they told it is better than bardal and gonna add it with castrol engine oil (which is the MUL represented engine oil now)
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:45   #1352
BHPian

Hey Jaggu, i just gave my swift diesel for the 40k service today and had a couple of queries ( I've given the car to Mandovi Wilson Garden) The SA told me that all oils, and coolant have to be changed so i agreed to that. But then he tells me we have to do carbon cleaning for which the cost will be 1500 bucks. I questioned him as to why carbon cleaning has to be done so early, he insisted that it should be done at every 20000km for diesel cars. I refused and asked him not to do it. When does it usually have to be done for a swift diesel? Also did not ask for Wheel Balancing and Alignment as im not happy with their work, will get it done outside.

Ps: Any idea where i can find a maruti service manual for the swift diesel? Thanks

Last edited by radiokidb : 2nd July 2010 at 09:55.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:14   #1353
BHPian

Cant seem to edit my post now, but i just got a call from the SA saying that driveshaft oil needs to be replaced, and that brake pads need to be replaced. Now the car has run just 40k kms and the brake pads seemed fine. When did you get yours replaced?
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:00   #1354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
hi jaggu
is the noise like a continuous rumble over rough patches? if yes
Nope its only occasional noise from steering dampers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Is the increase in engine vibration normal in car done 40k?
Any way to reduce it?
engine de-carb recommended?
Any helpful additives?
Opinion on getting a straight pipe from the manifold,help improve performance?
Nope on the contrary the engine should become quite. You can try OWS it will make the engine super smooth till it lasts in the fuel tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
But then he tells me we have to do carbon cleaning for which the cost will be 1500 bucks. I questioned him as to why carbon cleaning has to be done so early, he insisted that it should be done at every 20000km for diesel cars.
Am curious to know what they do at carbon cleaning, is it manual process or automatic using some machine to run some cleaning agent through fuel. If its latter dont bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Cant seem to edit my post now, but i just got a call from the SA saying that driveshaft oil needs to be replaced, and that brake pads need to be replaced. Now the car has run just 40k kms and the brake pads seemed fine. When did you get yours replaced?
Drive shaft oil? or oil seal? Brake pads quite possible, i think even my car i might have to go for a change this time around. Its touching 45k kms.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:01   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Am curious to know what they do at carbon cleaning, is it manual process or automatic using some machine to run some cleaning agent through fuel. If its latter dont bother.
Yea even im curious. The SA said they clean all the injectors and clean the engine and some other jazz. What irked me the most was that when i questioned whether it was specified by maruti he said it was and that it has to be done at every 20000 km! What a bunch of cheats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Drive shaft oil? or oil seal? Brake pads quite possible, i think even my car i might have to go for a change this time around. Its touching 45k kms.
He said drive shaft oil :S I was also wondering myself what it was but i wasnt sure so i said go ahead. Thanks for your inputs
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:22   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Why don't you check in your user manual as to what all has to be changed at each service and stick to that?

Brake pad changes are fast becoming like clutch changes!

Even in my NHC CVT, I was on OEM pads until 46000+km when I sold it. My Marina is soldiering on with the OEM pads at 69000 kms.
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:03   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi guys,

Why don't you check in your user manual as to what all has to be changed at each service and stick to that?

Brake pad changes are fast becoming like clutch changes!

Even in my NHC CVT, I was on OEM pads until 46000+km when I sold it. My Marina is soldiering on with the OEM pads at 69000 kms.
and those on my swift lasted 75000 kilometers
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:50   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
and those on my swift lasted 75000 kilometers
LoL, Mine only last 7500kms per set :( (idiotic driving is the cause)

@Jaggu thanks, But i can feel more vibration in the seat. Can mounting be an issue? Please more info on OWS please
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:33   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Just got my disc cut and pads replaced at 25 thousand km. Had a mild judder on the brake pedal at high speeds. All in all 350 bucks for cutting and 1700 for pads.

The brakes are back as good as new with no brake shudder at any speed
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:37   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Just got my disc cut and pads replaced at 25 thousand km. Had a mild judder on the brake pedal at high speeds. All in all 350 bucks for cutting and 1700 for pads.

The brakes are back as good as new with no brake shudder at any speed
surface grinding wouldve given you better bite. with the grinding tool working in a circular fashion all over the disc,
with getting the discs machined on lathes, the serrations are all concentric. so instead of getting better bite, they cut and abrade and wear off the pads for the first few kilometers as they bed in and smoothen up a bit.
my tubbits.
drive safe
Old 3rd July 2010, 08:06   #1361
BHPian

My swift 29K was giving some problem from disc pads and my father got it replaced in aftermarket with 650rs total for pads. and he said this was most expensive available from the shop.
Sec. 38 Chandigarh markert.... I am a little worried if they are of good and wont cause any problem...... Can someone suggest a good brand in aftermarket because it seems price difference is huge from MGA and aftermarket.....
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:58   #1362
Team-BHP Support

@noidaboy: yes weak mounts can cause vibration. Do a search on OWS in TBHP and you will get all the details, including contact info for dealer Speedways.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:04   #1363

juggu please help

My swift diesel 2007 april has done 42000km and for past 10000km the engine sound is gradually increasing and there is marked vibration of steering clutch and floor of the car.The sound is so unbearable that even after driving for 15 min i get severe headache and nausea.I have approached MASS several times and they say it is normal for the car of this milage to have this vibration and sound they also said that the new model i meen first face lifted version has changes made to its mounting and turbo plumbing and thats why the sound is less in them. If i cant find a solution to this problem i am going to sell my car soon.please help me ......
Old 5th July 2010, 21:16   #1364
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Curious! Without asking, MSM fills my tyres with Nitrogen.

Even more curious: The thread on this topic seems to agree that any differences (other than, perhaps, slower leakage) felt with nitrogen are purely imaginary!
You must probably inform the MSM About this thread and CARS india's Comment

Even LAL Enterprises accepted that it is not suitable for india and its just a product for more billing from client
Old 6th July 2010, 10:16   #1365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee9 View Post
My swift diesel 2007 april has done 42000km and for past 10000km the engine sound is gradually increasing and there is marked vibration of steering clutch and floor of the car.
==========
If i cant find a solution to this problem i am going to sell my car soon.please help me ......
Am sorry but i really dont have a solution, but to advice you to find another competent MASS who will give it a try. Mine is one of the first lot Vdi's and going to touch 45k. So far i haven't faced any issue with increasing vibration etc.

How are the tyres? Worn out tyres can leave you with a very awkward feeling inside the cabin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks