Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 11:40   #106
BHPian

re: SensAiry : An app-based TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
It's not a "HUD"- Head Up Display that projects on windscreen. It's a simple standalone screen. I'm also awaiting it's delivery.
When they had announced the HUD I had immediately jumped to the conclusion that it would be the projection type of HUD but looks like it is not. I have communicated to Ajay Bhat of Sensairy to look at the possibility of adding one more option in the menu to mirror the image on the device screen and use it for projecting on the windscreen. This would make it more attractive, I believe.
Old 7th February 2019, 13:52   #107
BHPian

re: SensAiry : An app-based TPMS

The Sensairy HUD unit arrived today. The setup was easy as I had already installed it on my iPhone and it needed to be just transferred to the HUD. The PSI readout values were perfectly matching the actual values (I had filled up the tires just an hour back).
After switching off the ignition for some time, when I switched it on again, it required a couple of minutes for the sensors to communicate the PSI/Temp values to the HUD. More or less the same time that was required in the case of my smartphone.
All in all a good buy IMO.
nitnab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 19:55   #108
BHPian

Re: SensAiry : An app-based TPMS

Just out of curiosity, I tried using the Sensairy HUD for projecting on to the windshield. It was reasonable in appearance (except for the mirroring effect and the double image which could have been due to my not removing the display protection film). I have suggested to Ajay to look at the possibility of using it in this mode.
Attaching a pic of my trials:
SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-hud1.jpg
nitnab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 22:26   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

I got mine a couple of days back but haven't installed it due to time crunch plus am still to figure out where to fix it. I did update the sensor data on the display and it's very easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
Just out of curiosity, I tried using the Sensairy HUD for projecting on to the windshield. It was reasonable in appearance (except for the mirroring effect and the double image which could have been due to my not removing the display protection film). I have suggested to Ajay to look at the possibility of using it in this mode.
Attaching a pic of my trials:
Attachment 1846813
The double image is not due to the protective film but due to double layer of windshield. The HUDs have a reflective film that's affixed on windshield which helps in proper display.

NB: Just after the order was dispatched, I got a call from Mr. Ajay Bhat of Tymtix that there are some complaints regarding the text on buttons getting smudged. So he asked me to return the displays if I also have the same type of issue. He did clarify that the hardware has no issues. That's a good thing on the part of Tymtix that they're very clear with the dealing. Sadly both the displays I got have some smudging but have decided against returning. It's doing what it's supposed to do.

I'll update details in a week's time as I'm kind of super busy this week.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 10th February 2019 at 22:29.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 22:54   #110
BHPian

Thanks BoneCollector for your assessment of the double image. I must agree it is the windshield layer which is causing it.
I too have not mounted it. They mention it needs to be mounted on the windshield as the tape will not hold to the plasticy dashboard. Me too am deciding where to fix it. I am not too sure it should be directly in front of my gaze as it could somewhat obstruct my front view. Would request you to post your mounting location once you have decided.
For the moment i just keep it in the cup holder just below the AV head unit.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

I don't have this but would guess a line-of-sight installation is not required.

I think a windshield top corner installation would work. In my Crysta, I think it would sit well in the well before the gear shift.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 12:01   #112
BHPian

This is how I have finally decided to place my Sensairy unit. Not obtrusive nor too far from sight.
SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-sensairy.jpg
Notice that the front right tire is 2 PSI more than the front left. I have observed a 1 PSI drop for every 3 days in the front right tire, so, when I am not likely to use the car for a few days, I prefer to pump a couple of PSI more than the regular value.
Haven't got down to investigate why it is leaking.
nitnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 23:00   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is how I have finally decided to place my Sensairy unit. Not obtrusive nor too far from sight.
Attachment 1849584
Notice that the front right tire is 2 PSI more than the front left. I have observed a 1 PSI drop for every 3 days in the front right tire, so, when I am not likely to use the car for a few days, I prefer to pump a couple of PSI more than the regular value.
Haven't got down to investigate why it is leaking.
Does this HUD display not show the Reading for the Spare Tyre? All the screenshots of this new display seem to show only 4 tyres and hence asking.
Old 13th March 2019, 09:17   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Does this HUD display not show the Reading for the Spare Tyre? All the screenshots of this new display seem to show only 4 tyres and hence asking.
Yes, it does show spare tire pressure. You have to press the forward arrow button to indicate the spare tire details. Pressing it once again will take you back to the display of pressure of the 4 tires.
Old 13th March 2019, 10:25   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it does show spare tire pressure. You have to press the forward arrow button to indicate the spare tire details. Pressing it once again will take you back to the display of pressure of the 4 tires.
Thank You for clarifying.

Folks, I am considering going in for the Sensairy TPMS. My requirement would be for all 5 tyres as I recently purchased a 5th Alloy Wheel as well for my City to be able to rotate all tyres. I had the following questions to all the experts/experienced ones on this thread:

1. The battery life claim is for 5 years but the warranty is for only 1 year. What if the battery expires in the 2nd year - do we need to buy a new sensor again?

Quote:
The technician deflated the tyre and cut the old valve. After that he fixed the new valve using tools and then I fixed the sensor.
New Tyres come with Warranty from the manufacturer - does it mean that we would be voiding the warranty on the tyre by cutting the default valve? Is this reversible, can we remove the sensor and put the normal valve back due to some unforeseen scenario ?

3. Does Sensairy have a listing of service centers/tyre workshops where it is recommended to go for installation for the major cities? (in my case I am looking for Bangalore).

4. What is the weight of the Sensor? Someone mentioned in an earlier post that more weights had to be added during wheel balancing due to the sensor - and hence the question.

5. In case of a puncture and if the car is driven a short distance would the sensor be completely crushed?

6. Given that so many people seem to be using this sensor, kindly share some cons/disadvantages as well.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th March 2019 at 10:31.
Old 13th March 2019, 10:36   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Folks, I am considering going in for the Sensairy TPMS. My requirement would be for all 5 tyres as I recently purchased a 5th Alloy Wheel as well for my City to be able to rotate all tyres.

I had the following questions to all the experts/experienced ones on this thread:

1. The battery life claim is for 5 years but the warranty is for only 1 year. What if the battery expires in the 2nd year - do we need to buy a new sensor again?
I've been using it for last 2 years. There hasn't been any issue as such. Moreover the people at Tymtix are very helpful.

Quote:
2. New Tyres come with Warranty from the manufacturer - does it mean that we would be voiding the warranty on the tyre by cutting the default valve? Is this reversible, can we remove the sensor and put the normal valve back due to some unforeseen scenario ?
The tyres come with warranty but valves are wear and tear parts. The valves can be easily reversed.

Quote:
3. Does Sensairy have a listing of service centers/tyre workshops where it is recommended to go for installation for the major cities? (in my case I am looking for Bangalore).
SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-screenshot_20190313102820.jpg

SensAiry : An app-based TPMS-screenshot_20190313102830.jpg

https://tymtix.com/#/dealership"]https://tymtix.com/#/dealership[/url]

Quote:
4. What is the weight of the Sensor? Someone mentioned in an earlier post that more weights had to be added during wheel balancing due to the sensor - and hence the question.
The sensors are heavy considering the wheel balance. You'll require to get the balancing done after getting sensors installed.

Quote:
5. In case of a puncture and if the car is driven a short distance would the sensor be completely crushed?
I haven't gone through this. But it's shouldn't happen as the sensors are there to let you know of a puncture. So driving with puncture will happen only if it's an emergency.

Quote:
6. Given that so many people seem to be using this sensor, kindly share some cons/disadvantages as well.
It's good. I haven't got anything negative to share as yet.

Quote:
I've also placed it at the same location. Still haven't figured out where to fix it as yet.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 13th March 2019 at 10:40.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 11:04   #117
BHPian

Quote:

Folks, I am considering going in for the Sensairy TPMS. My requirement would be for all 5 tyres as I recently purchased a 5th Alloy Wheel as well for my City to be able to rotate all tyres.

I had the following questions to all the experts/experienced ones on this thread:

New Tyres come with Warranty from the manufacturer - does it mean that we would be voiding the warranty on the tyre by cutting the default valve? Is this reversible, can we remove the sensor and put the normal valve back due to some unforeseen scenario ?

My views on your queries:

1)Because it is Bluetooth Low Energy, it is quite possible that battery may last 5 years. I think they are not giving more than 1 year for the electronics which is standard practice. I have it working for more than a year now (including surviving one severe tire burst incident)

2) Not sure of the tire warranty part as the original valve has to be replaced with the Sensairy valves. However I guess you can go back to the original if you opt out. The tire dealers may be able to throw some light on this.

3)Most reasonably good Tire dealers who have balancing facility can fit this without too much of a problem. Roadside tapri types should be avoided. If you get in touch with Mr. Bhat of Sensairy he might be able to guide you to a local guy (as they are based in Bangalore).

4)I am guessing the weight to be a hundred grams or so. But it does require a lot of balancing weight.

5) They seem to be reasonably rugged as I have driven one with a burst tire at high speed for a few 100 metres (before I could manage to move to the side of the road)and the sensor survived without any malfunction.

I would advise you to get in touch with the Sensairy tech team who are really good and respond very fast (virtually instantly) to any queries.
Old 13th March 2019, 11:39   #118
BHPian

I must relate this tire burst incident where the Sensairy did not give an early warning. A few months back I was driving through a bad patch of interior road with lot of potholes. Was driving slowly but landed in a big one. I got a metallic clunk sound (which was the pothole edge hitting the alloy) but assumed it was either the silencer or underbody getting hit (Honda City does have such a low clearance). There was no alarm from the Sensairy app (this was before I installed the HUD). I drove on and later after driving for another 10 Km or so, I was driving at around 80 Kmph on the highway when I heard a big bang and had to maneuver to the side of the road through the traffic. There was a deep gash on the outer sidewall of the tire, probably a sharp protrusion at the edge of the pothole had cut it. But the cut was not sufficiently deep for the tire to leak. It suddenly gave way when I ran it on the highway.
In such an emergency, as BoneCollector mentioned, the sensairy is of no use.

Last edited by nitnab : 13th March 2019 at 12:04.
Old 13th March 2019, 13:41   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would advise you to get in touch with the Sensairy tech team who are really good and respond very fast (virtually instantly) to any queries.
I had sent the same list of queries to the Support Email address of Sensairy and here are the responses from Ajay Bhat (AB) - like you said they are very fast with their responses:

===>
AB: Yes, you may need to buy a new one in such a case. Without any damages to the sensor and the battery reaches low within a year from the date of purchase, you can get a replacement sensor.

2. I understand installation requires cutting the valve of the tyre. New Tyres come with Warranty from the manufacturer - does it mean that we would be voiding the warranty on the tyre by cutting the default valve? Is this reversible, can we remove the sensor and put the normal valve back due to some unforeseen scenario?
===>
AB: You may need to check with dealers regarding the tyre warranty from the manufacturer. Yes, you can replace with normal valve after the usage of SensAiry. Once after the SensAiry installation, we recommend you to keep spare valves to avoid such a case.

3. What is the weight of each Sensor?
===>
AB: It is around 25gm

4. In case of a puncture and if the car is driven a short distance would the sensor be completely crushed?
===>
AB: Sensors may get damaged if you drive in potholes with the flat tyre.

5. What if one of the tyres gets damaged and needs to be replaced (Ex: Sidewall cut) - would I be able to use the existing sensor for a new tyre?
===>
AB: Yes, you use the existing sensor in case you replacing the existing tyre.

Based on the dealers listed, I am happy they have Tyre Professionals, Bangalore on their list. I am a regular there and so getting it installed should not be an issue.
I recently did the Alignment and Balancing so maybe I will opt for this, when it is time for the next round of WA & WB.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th March 2019 at 13:43.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 13:48   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Was just browsing through the website. There is no option of 5 sensors with the HUD?

That is something I would be interested in because I rate my tyres every 5000kms and prefer a stand alone unit rather than using my phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks