Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:27   #271
BHPian

Re: Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845

I recently did a test on the Collinite845, it was slightly unscientific but proved the ability of this superb product.

Basically, I have this old cycle lying around, not used for a long time and has both exposed metal and painted surfaces. Moreover it is not as tough as the clear coated paints of our rides.

Sorry no pics at this time, but I plan on doing this again sometime soon.

The test method -

Applied c845 to a painted part and to an exposed metal part. Allowed to cure for 48 hours after application and buffing. On two other areas did double coat of the same and curing time was 48 hrs after each coat.

Tests -

A - Nirma Test - Used a solution of Nirma powder and water - 1 table spoons to 1 litre of water.
B - Rin Test - Rin + 1 Litres water.
C - Pril liquid Test - 3 drops to 1 litre water.
D - Acid test - Household Acid (half tea cup) to 2 litres of water.
E - Harpic Test - Harpic (half tea cup) to 2 litres of water.
F - Diesel Test - One spoon diesel.

Review - Thumb swipe (does it make a sound), water test (beading/sheeting), look.

The area that was coated was divided into 1inch squares with 6 squares each. Each of the test material (A to E) was applied to the squares. NOT RUBBED. Applied with a ear bud without using pressure. Left there for 10 minutes and then washed off with water.

The results below is how it performed.
A - Painted Single Coat (PSC) - Thumb Swipe test (TST) - No Sound, Water Test( WT) - Good Beading. Look -

Shiny.
B - PSC - TST - No sound, WT (good beading) Look - Shiny.
C - PSC - TST - Slight sound, WT - Low beading - Look - Slightly Dull.
D - PSC - TST - No Sound, WT (Beading), Look - Slightly off color.
E - PSC - TST - Slight Sound, WT - Low Beading, Look - Dull.
F - PSC - TST - No sound, WT - Ok beading, Look - Low Shiny.

A - UnPainted Single Coat (UPSC) - TST - NA, WT - Good Beading. Look - Reasonably Shiny. Tissue Test (TT) - Dry.(means good as water is not holding to metal).
B - UPSC - TST - NA, WT (good beading) Look - REasonably Shiny, TT - Dry.
C - UPSC - TST - NA, WT - Beading, Look - Not clear, TT - Slightly Damp.
D - UPSC - TST - NA, WT - Low Beading, Look - Not clear, TT - Slightly Damp.
E - UPSC - TST - NA, WT - slight Beading, Look - Not clear, TT - Slightly Damp.
F - UPSC - TST - NA, WT - Beading, Look - dulled, TT - almost dry.

A - Painted Double Coat (PDC) - TST - No Sound, WT- Beading (sheeting). Look - Shiny.
B - PDC - TST - No sound, WT Beading/Sheeting, Look - Shiny.
C - PDC - TST - No sound, WT Beading, Look - Medium Shiny.
D - PDC - TST - No Sound, WT (Beading), Look - Medium Shiny.
E - PDC - TST - Almost No Sound, WT (Low Beading), Look - Low Shiny.
F - PSC -PDC - TST - No Sound, WT (Beading), Look - Medium Shiny.

A - UnPainted Double Coat (UPDC) - TST - NA, WT - Beading/Sheeting. Look - Reasonably Shiny. TT - Dry.
B - UPDC - TST - NA, WT Beading/Sheeting, Look - REasonably Shiny, TT - Dry.
C - UPDC - TST - NA, WT Beading, Look - Slightly Shiny, TT - Almost Dry/streaky.
D - UPDC - TST - NA, WT Beading/Sheeting, Look - Slightly Dull, TT - Almost Dry/Streaky
E - UPDC - TST - NA, WT Beading, Look - Dulled, TT - Streaky.
F - UPSC - TST - NA, WT - Excellent Beading, Look - Reasonable Shine, TT - Dry.

This is a standalone test of only C845 and so I cannot compare it with the levels of protection offered by other Waxes/Sealants.

Overall, the double coat as expected gives wonderful results. Considering that you will almost never use Harpic or Pril to wash your car, I believe a single coat will also go a long way to protect the car for sure.

Disclaimer - This test was not a paid test or any such thing. I am not in any way affiliated to the manufacturer or dealer or retailer of C845. I am also a car enthusiast and thought this will be helpful for everyone.

Note - If you want me to test other products this way, please let me know and if possible provide me a sample of the product. I dont assure but will test when I get time.
torquecurve is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:45   #272
BHPian

just ordered Collinite 845 from Sanjay. cost - 995 which includes a Micro Fibre Cloth (16x16, 350 GSM) and free shipping. Automall.in had the Wax at approx. 10 rupee cheaper.
Old 10th April 2012, 15:59   #273
Senior - BHPian

I have just received Collinite 476.

845 was not available, and 915 was too expensive.
Reading around I realized that 476 is good enough (used by Collinite ppl).
Will post the results.
Old 10th April 2012, 21:16   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have just received Collinite 476.

845 was not available, and 915 was too expensive.
Reading around I realized that 476 is good enough (used by Collinite ppl).
Will post the results.
476 is probably more durable than 845.
But the flip side is you will need a lot of elbow greese during application.
Be sure to apply it really thin, allow it to haze and start buffing otherwise keep some painkillers ready.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 23:14   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I'm currently using Turtle Wax super hard shell wax polish along with ArmorAll wash-n-wax solution for my Ninja.

Was thinking of buying Meguiars wax polish (NXT) and would like to know how does Collinite fare compared to Meguiars?

With so many products out there, i'm super confused.

Please advise.
Aditya,

You may want to cross check with Mahesh on Meguiars and Collinite 845, he recently detailed the FZ1 with the same.

Collinite is not a 'Wax' it is more sealant than wax, it will protect while the wax will give the wet look.

-Sajan
Old 11th April 2012, 10:54   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
476 is probably more durable than 845.
But the flip side is you will need a lot of elbow greese during application.
Be sure to apply it really thin, allow it to haze and start buffing otherwise keep some painkillers ready.
Haha, yeah I did read about its ease of application.
So as a trial I took nail's thickness amount of wax and spread it on my glass table using fingers.

Found it more convenient than cloth. Also that thin piece was enough to cover 3" x 3-4".

Will try on a larger piece - perhaps my guitar
I guess the efforts are more in colder climates because the wax becomes real hard real fast at low temperatures. (while Applying as well as buffing)

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th April 2012 at 11:06.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:09   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Aditya,
Collinite is not a 'Wax' it is more sealant than wax, it will protect while the wax will give the wet look.
Sajan,
I think you wanted to say opposite??
NXT is pure Sealant and Collinite is blend with highest carnauba wax concentration, Collinite-845 calls itself as "Insulator Wax".

If you ask my experience, I have been using both NXT2 and Collinite-845 at the same time for last 2 years with GREAT results. Yes you are right Collinite-845 protects and I apply it as the final layers to get that wet look.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:12   #278
BANNED

Sightly OT. Can some one list out the Collinite grades and approximate prices, and maybe the specs as well.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:29   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aditya, You may want to cross check with Mahesh on Meguiars and Collinite 845, he recently detailed the FZ1 with the same. Collinite is not a 'Wax' it is more sealant than wax, it will protect while the wax will give the wet look.
Thanks Sajan. Yet to see Mahesh's bike after the detailed treatment. But it does look hot in the pics. Even the fine silver dust in the paint is glowing in the sun.

Quote:
If you ask my experience, I have been using both NXT2 and Collinite-845 at the same time for last 2 years with GREAT results. Yes you are right Collinite-845 protects and I apply it as the final layers to get that wet look.
So what is the process I need to follow sir?

I use ArmorAll wash n wax but its almost over so need to buy another bottle but stock is unavailable. Saw Sonax wash n wax in Spar. Do you think its good? I would like to avoid using plain water due to the hardness/contaminants/etc. followed by a layer of wax and then the sealant.

So should i stick to using the Turtle Wax and then use the Collinite as a sealant or should i switch over to Meguiars NXT in lieu of Turtle Wax? Man, this is so complicated.
Old 11th April 2012, 22:47   #280
BHPian

Quote:

Aditya,

First, use the Armorall wash and wax, then use the Meguiars NXT or the liquid quick detail polish and follow it up with Collinite 845. This is what I follow and I am quite happy with the results I get.

-Sajan
Old 12th April 2012, 10:49   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aditya,

First, use the Armorall wash and wax, then use the Meguiars NXT or the liquid quick detail polish and follow it up with Collinite 845. This is what I follow and I am quite happy with the results I get.

-Sajan
Thank you Sir. As mentioned i am unable to procure the ArmorAll wash-n-wax due to non availability. What other brand of wash-n-wax would you recommend?

Where can i source Collinite in Blore? I've heard of Automall.in but read about their horrible customer service and delivery timelines.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:23   #282
BHPian

Quote:

I use ArmorAll wash n wax but its almost over so need to buy another bottle but stock is unavailable. Saw Sonax wash n wax in Spar. Do you think its good? I would like to avoid using plain water due to the hardness/contaminants/etc. followed by a layer of wax and then the sealant.

So should i stick to using the Turtle Wax and then use the Collinite as a sealant or should i switch over to Meguiars NXT in lieu of Turtle Wax? Man, this is so complicated.
I would suggest go to ONR for car wash. It will soften the hard water and give great results.

Here are the summary steps I had put in more than a year back in the same thread.

Quote:
Just finished with detailing of my taffeta white ANHC.

Process followed (All by hand):
0) Plain water wash.
1) Trutle Wax Platinum Series Performance Car wash.
2) Claying (meguiars clay kit).
3) Paint Sealent - Meguiars NXT TechWax2.0 (2 coats - in between curing time of 12 hours).
4) Insulator Wax - Collinite (2 coats - in between curing time of 12 hours).

Worked on each panel-by-panel and all this took me over one week.

Before continuing with between steps the car was cleaned with plain water wash or sometimes just California duster.

Please checkout the pics in the post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2189204

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2190232

You can checkout some more pics here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2450814

You can order Collinite from Sanjay http://www.bringingbest.com/Collinit...lator_Wax.html
He is good in service and very responsive.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 12th April 2012 at 12:26.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 13:58   #283
Senior - BHPian

Many of the members here do many step process to protect their rides. Kudos to them. But I do not have patience to all these thing spread over a week. I find one coat of Collinite 845 is sufficient enough after proper Sonax Gloss Shampoo wash.

It gives comparable result what other members achieve over the week to my effort of 2 - 3 hours.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 15:47   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sir. As mentioned i am unable to procure the ArmorAll wash-n-wax due to non availability. What other brand of wash-n-wax would you recommend?

Where can i source Collinite in Blore? I've heard of Automall.in but read about their horrible customer service and delivery timelines.
Aditya,

I can get you the Armor All wash-n-wax and Collinite, The collinite dealer is in J.P.Nagar itself, drop in with mahesh some time and we can go and pick it up

-Sajan
sajands is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 16:27   #285
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Read through this entire thread over the weekend. Have ordered Collinite 845 from BBImpex. Hopefully would receive it during the week and try it over the weekend.

One query:
Besides cars & bikes, has anyone tried Collinite 845 for household items? e.g. the panel of a LCD TV/monitor? It does attract a lot of dust and scratches develop over time from dusting and cleaning. How about applying a coat on the outside surface of the window panes of your french window? Those are huge and a pain to clean. Anyone experimented?

Last edited by SDP : 16th April 2012 at 16:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks