Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 08:54   #541
Senior - BHPian

The technique of using them kinda decides whether it scratches the paint or not!

Ideally, you have to let all the strands of the duster hang freely so that only the ends of the strands touch the paint. And like that move the duster to and fro with only the ends of the strands touching the paint and picking up the dust.

NEVER press the duster against the surface and rub it aggressively!(I've seen that happening a lot!!)
Old 25th November 2010, 09:47   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
rubbing anything dry over paint will scratch that paint.

for quick detailing methods the spray on waxes are a much better option.
With these dusters you don't really rub them against the paint. You just make a no-pressure swipe and it picks up the dust. These dusters are spcifically meant for dry dusting.

And you can't use spray-on waxes for dry dusting. Spray-on waxes are used for maintaining the shine when one has already done the hard work of claying, polishing and waxing. It is not a substitute for dry dusting.

As for scratching of the paint, it happens with almost anything that comes in contact with the paint, almost.
Old 25th November 2010, 13:17   #543
BHPian

I understand the method of using said dusters quite well where u don't "scrub" the paint with
The duster but run the tips of the fibers gently over the car. Fact of the matter is you are still running fibers over the paint. This will cause fine marks in the paint which I said before, over time will become more prevalent. If u want the same effect just faster, run a towel over the car to dust it. There is no magic to it where these things magically lift the dust off the car. If that were the case u should be able to run the duster over the car in close proximity w/out actually ever touching the surface and your car coming out clean.

The wet waxes otherwise known as quick detailers are definitely a much better option. They are designed to preserve the finish. Obviously not a substitute for wash and wax but for "dusting" situations a much better option instead of using these dusters.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:44   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The wet waxes otherwise known as quick detailers are definitely a much better option. They are designed to preserve the finish. Obviously not a substitute for wash and wax but for "dusting" situations a much better option instead of using these dusters.
I never said that the duster would magnetically attract the dust in any way and I also second that anything coming in contact with the paint is bound to scratch it, be it fine or deep. However, using these dusters to dry dust the car is a 2-3 min job without the use of water or anything else.

As for sprays (quick detailer) you'd still want the paint surface to be free of any dust via washing (with or without shampoo), unless there are wet waxes that you can apply on the dust ridden paint surface (I'm not aware of such products). Also, quick detailers would only give a temporary shine and if the car hasn't gone through proper claying, polishing and waxing (this process isn't just limited to shine/gloss but also protection to the paint) using a quick detailer would only serve the purpose of shining the paint. Since the thread is about the Jopasu Car Duster's review it wouldn't be wise to take this discussion further on this thread.

So sticking to the duster's review I can say that its one of the best available in India (I procured mine via ebay around 3 months back) and does a great job of dry dusting one's car. I find it really helpful to dry dust the car every evening before putting the car cover on and it doesn't take more than 2-3 minutes.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:02   #545
BHPian

Quote:
How exactly "wet waxes" can be used for "dusting"? Any examples of products available...
Old 26th November 2010, 12:20   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I never said that the duster would magnetically attract the dust in any way and I also second that anything coming in contact with the paint is bound to scratch it, be it fine or deep. However, using these dusters to dry dust the car is a 2-3 min job without the use of water or anything else.

As for sprays (quick detailer) you'd still want the paint surface to be free of any dust via washing (with or without shampoo), unless there are wet waxes that you can apply on the dust ridden paint surface (I'm not aware of such products). Also, quick detailers would only give a temporary shine and if the car hasn't gone through proper claying, polishing and waxing (this process isn't just limited to shine/gloss but also protection to the paint) using a quick detailer would only serve the purpose of shining the paint. Since the thread is about the Jopasu Car Duster's review it wouldn't be wise to take this discussion further on this thread.

So sticking to the duster's review I can say that its one of the best available in India (I procured mine via ebay around 3 months back) and does a great job of dry dusting one's car. I find it really helpful to dry dust the car every evening before putting the car cover on and it doesn't take more than 2-3 minutes.
not getting into a pissing contest here. but at the same time please re read my first post. i did say these dusters do what they are designed to do and do it well however what they do comes as a package.....scratching the paint, which you also agree to. nothing more. again i'm not arguing what these dusters do just trying to highlight something for members so they are aware. that is all i have to say on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
How exactly "wet waxes" can be used for "dusting"? Any examples of products available...
dust and dirt are two very different things. if your car is dirty by all means wash it. there is no replacement. "dusting" is what it is. for dust all i'm saying is a product like this would be better and reduce the chances of paint being scratched. below is direct off the meguiar's website.

Flagship Hydro Shield Detailer Designed to quickly remove dirt, grime, water spots and other fresh contaminants while adding deep gloss and long-lasting polymer protection. Use on all surfaces of your boat, including gel coat, metal and clear plastics to create a just-washed appearance. Once applied, this specialized detailer with Hydrophobic Polymer Technology™ will help to repel water in order to reduce drying time and water spot etching. Product Code: M-9424

cheers guys.
Old 26th November 2010, 13:11   #547
BHPian

sorry guys, i just realized the product i posted is for boats. i can't quite locate the edit button, however products like this are available for base/clear finishes on vehicles doing the exact same thing as described above. just look at any major car care company site. meguiar's, mother's, 3m, surf city garage, eagle etc.
Old 26th November 2010, 13:34   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for dust all i'm saying is a product like this would be better and reduce the chances of paint being scratched.
This product and its likes (wet waxes) are not meant for dry dusting. There is no liquid/paste based product that is available on any of these websites targetting dry dusting.
Old 26th November 2010, 13:40   #549
BHPian

Quote:
not getting into a pissing contest here.
May turn out to be an innovative idea to recycle precious water

Quote:
dust and dirt are two very different things. if your car is dirty by all means wash it. there is no replacement. "dusting" is what it is. for dust all i'm saying is a product like this would be better and reduce the chances of paint being scratched.
Without getting into semantics of dust & dirt, dusters like jopasu or california are designed to trap loose fine dust/dirt particles sitting superficially on the paint surface. I don't see how any products like you mentioned can be applied without first water wash or wet wipe or dusting off....at best, such products can be applied on a clean surface which then acts as a repellant..dust will not stick & fall off when driven.

These dusters will actually worsen the situation if not used over a 100% dry surface.

Mind you, no one is talking about wet/dry mud here or kind of dirtyness which happens after driving thru rain or water clogged area.
Old 26th November 2010, 14:11   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
This product and its likes (wet waxes) are not meant for dry dusting. There is no liquid/paste based product that is available on any of these websites targetting dry dusting.
again, please re read my posts.
Old 26th November 2010, 18:43   #551
AWD
BHPian

Used Jopasu duster for the first time on my car, wasn't impressed!
It cleans un-evenly & picks newly accumulated dust.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:17   #552
Senior - BHPian

Did you let it sit over night over a newspaper??

These dusters have wax baked on each cotton strand which picks up dust.

If you straight away use it, it'll leave wax streaks etc. and those wax streaks will make the paint look uneven and attract dust!

Just glide the end of the strands in a to and fro motion over the dusty areas.(multiple passes per area might be needed)

I felt that the more you use it, the more effective it becomes at picking up dust!
Old 26th November 2010, 19:28   #553
AWD
BHPian

No I did not keep it over a newspaper. Wasn't written on the leaflet with the duster, so did not know.

Yes, it did leave streaks on the paint. I used it to & fro & in circular movements.

Maybe it improves over time. I also noticed, dust flying off when duster was moved over the car. Now, if it attracts all the dust, it should not be scattering all over the place!
Old 26th November 2010, 19:37   #554
Senior - BHPian

Generally, a new duster might have a lot of wax on the strands(more than necessary)

Just try keeping the duster overnight over a newspaper and then try it on the car.

Btw I wouldn't use it in circular motions just in case it gathers up any particle, it'll lead to swirls.

Gentle straight line to and fro motions should do fine!
Old 26th November 2010, 19:46   #555
AWD
BHPian

I did not rub the duster hard on the car, while in circular motion too I just let the strands move over the paint softly. So, I don't think it caused any scratches. Still I will wash the car & check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks