Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 22:51   #8341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
Guys! I'm thinking of replacing the headlamp clusters on my Estilo as they have got a bit too cloudy/smoky.

Inquired for a set of new ones at an accessories shop in Opera House and he quoted Rs.3200/- for a single side headlamp (Original). I inquired for the duplicate ones and he said it would be some Rs.500 less. At the same time, also had put up a query at the MGP site http://www.mgp.co.in/ and in an hour or so got a call from Sai Service that they have it in stock, and cost Rs.3200/side (Same). This clears that its the MRP of original MGP headlamp.
Please get the original headlamps and change them in pairs. If you change them on one side, the other side will look extremely ugly and the beam pattern wouldn't be optimal.

However I'd suggest you do this before getting new headlights. Doesnt hurt to try and might save big bucks.

SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 22:52   #8342
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak91 View Post

how are the Osram NB+? based on the comments on this thread they are the most common.
Osram NB+ has lesser life as compared to Philips Xtreme Vision. The light in Osram is slightly whitish-blue whereas the Philips are mildly blue with more of yellow light.

I find the light spread and sharpness better in the Philips as compared to Osram. I have used both these bulbs and vouch for Philips Xtreme Vision.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 23:12   #8343
BHPian

Quote:
But my question is, should I check out the duplicate ones too? If fairly cheaper, would it be wise to go for them?
I think the savings are too low and risk too high to use a duplicate head lamp cluster. Might end up having to change again prematurely than the one provided by Maruti. Also for electrical fitments its always better to keep off duplicates to avoid risk of short circuit or fire, not to mention the risk of getting stranded at night without head lights.
Freon911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 23:30   #8344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Please get the original headlamps and change them in pairs. If you change them on one side, the other side will look extremely ugly and the beam pattern wouldn't be optimal.

However I'd suggest you do this before getting new headlights. Doesnt hurt to try and might save big bucks.
Hey thanks for the prompt response mate!
Yes, would obviously change them in pairs, but after your suggestion I might not have to change them in first place. Had learnt about 'Headlight buffing' at 3M and other detailing shops lately, but was quite skeptical of the results. But yes, its surely worth trying and would save big bucks if it works out!

Thanks again!
Old 6th August 2014, 23:55   #8345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Osram NB+ has lesser life as compared to Philips Xtreme Vision. The light in Osram is slightly whitish-blue whereas the Philips are mildly blue with more of yellow light.

I find the light spread and sharpness better in the Philips as compared to Osram. I have used both these bulbs and vouch for Philips Xtreme Vision.

Anurag.
thank you sir, I will surely go for them. What do you suggest for the fogs which will match with these headlamps so it can give a complete feel.
Old 7th August 2014, 00:00   #8346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak91 View Post
how are the Osram NB+? based on the comments on this thread they are the most common.
Not used Osram, but I would guess it equally good. Note that these are better than stock but won’t give a breakthrough like higher wattage lights fitted with relays. Advantage is on no modification required and even within legal limits in all respects.
Old 7th August 2014, 11:50   #8347
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used Philips WeatherVision bulbs? These are warmer/yellower compared to XtremeVision.
I am not able to see these in online stores, but these are listed in Philips India website.
Old 7th August 2014, 12:22   #8348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Has anyone used Philips WeatherVision bulbs? These are warmer/yellower compared to XtremeVision.
I am not able to see these in online stores, but these are listed in Philips India website.
Weather visions bulbs are mainly required if you are driving in a weather with heavy mist. They are way too costlier also. I have not heard any reviews on this but they are not as durable as XtremeVision.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:41   #8349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Not used Osram, but I would guess it equally good. Note that these are better than stock but won’t give a breakthrough like higher wattage lights fitted with relays. Advantage is on no modification required and even within legal limits in all respects.
I wud have prefered upgrading to 100/90 W with plug & play relays of either Bosch or PMP, but there is always a fear of reflector and holder getting damaged. Hence will b more inclined to sticking to the stock Wattage.
Old 7th August 2014, 17:17   #8350
BHPian

Any source where I can get Phillips D2S HID in Bangalore? Checked most of the delaers keeping Phillips, but no luck.
Old 8th August 2014, 00:32   #8351
BHPian

Guys! Visited the 3M outlet today and asked if 'Headlight Buffing' would be of any help. He said it would not be, as the headlamp has developed small cracks and also is blackened from inside. So, finally bought a pair of new headlamps from MGP outlet.

While fitting the new set, realized that the bulbs are almost on the verge of dying! Although they work, they have developed cracks near the connector; maybe due to heat. And maybe that's the reason why the headlamps had blackened and developed cracks!

Anyways, will go for bulb shopping tomorrow! So, which ones should I go for?
Phillips Xtreme Vision H4 or Phillips Rally 100/90?
Note that I do have a relay fitted.

Last edited by nishantdlv : 8th August 2014 at 00:42.
Old 8th August 2014, 01:09   #8352
BANNED

Quote:

It depends on you, whether night driving time is more or less. If the time spent is more then go ahead with 100/90 Philips Really + relay else stick to Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W H4 P43t).

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th August 2014 at 01:11.
Old 8th August 2014, 01:13   #8353
BHPian

Quote:
Guys! Visited the 3M outlet today and asked if 'Headlight Buffing' would be of any help. He said it would not be, as the headlamp has developed small cracks and also is blackened from inside. So, finally bought a pair of new headlamps from MGP outlet.

While fitting the new set, realized that the bulbs are almost on the verge of dying! Although they work, they have developed cracks near the connector; maybe due to heat. And maybe that's the reason why the headlamps had blackened and developed cracks!

Though you change the bulb holder for the rally 100/90 bulbs, there are other plastic components inside the head lamp housing which cannot take the heat generated by these rally bulbs. These components fuming slowly are what causes the smoking of the head lamps from inside. They can be opened up and cleaned if it is just the smoked layer on the inside.
I would suggest you to go for Philips Xtreme vision or Osram NB instead of rally 100/90 as they wont harm the internal components or cause fading of the glass from inside yet perform better than stock bulbs.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 07:46   #8354
BHPian

Quote:

If you already have a relay fitted on your car go for Rally that will be enough. In case you want to go for Xtreme Vision go for 60/55 by removing the relay.
Old 8th August 2014, 09:37   #8355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
If you already have a relay fitted on your car go for Rally that will be enough. In case you want to go for Xtreme Vision go for 60/55 by removing the relay.
Why would you want to remove the relay? The relay merely isolates the factory wiring from the changes we make, to accommodate the higher wattage bulbs (that draw almost double the current).
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks